Alaska cruise date 5-16-2020

picture

16 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Princess will end up cancelling the Alaska trips.  All ships have to pass thru Canada because of maritime laws.  Canada has barred all cruise ships until July.  So May and June trips will be cancelled by Princess.  They are dealing with cruises around the world for Mar/Apr and will probably start cancelling May cruises in a few weeks

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/canada-bans-large-cruise-ship-arrivals-through-july-1

Yes, you are correct. Spoke with my Princess rep yesterday and his advise is to hold on for a week or so. Voyages starting May 11 through the 31st now have a "cancell 48 hours prior to sail date". We have a short cruise starting on the 11th followed by one on the 16th, both to canadian ports. We will know something before the end of next week...or so he said. Ither way we will have plenty time to make a decision.

Florence Italy

my comment about waiting a week or two and hopefully things will get better - in 10 -14 days with everyone staying home and not socializing and gathering in groups and spreading the virus, we might see a dramatic change

If you google flu deaths in the USA you get a range of 56,000, 20,000-40,000, 80,000, 12,000-61,000 yearly.  No one has a true number from year flu deaths - currently we have 150+ deaths in the USA.  This is very minor compared to the regular flu.

Not to turn this into a debate, but this whole things has turned everyone's world upside down.  Business, travel, schools, stock market and people getting sick has made yours and my life an unknown.  We (those on these boards) have money tied up in cruises that may not go, we may not get our money back, we may never cruise again.

Just trying to be positive that this will be over soon.

• Like 2

Any chance the federal government will waive or relax the PVSA requirement that the cruise ships must make a port call to a foreign port (i.e. Victoria BC).  That would allow AK cruises to leave a lower 48 port like Seattle, visit AK ports and return to a lower 48 port.  

11 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Am I reading this right?  I see you are in CA.  Your state is one of the worst hit.  I am no expert, but, there is no way it is going to be settled down and run it's course two weeks from now, anywhere.  Unfortunately, the worst is yet to come!!  I would love to be wrong!

For myself, I have no interest in getting on a cruise ship this year.  I am currently very concerned with people losing their loved ones and the economic impact this is making on many, many people, small businesses, etc.

Totally agree. Not a few weeks, try several months at best. It's a real mess.

8 hours ago, roxievegas said:

Florence Italy

my comment about waiting a week or two and hopefully things will get better - in 10 -14 days with everyone staying home and not socializing and gathering in groups and spreading the virus, we might see a dramatic change

If you google flu deaths in the USA you get a range of 56,000, 20,000-40,000, 80,000, 12,000-61,000 yearly.  No one has a true number from year flu deaths - currently we have 150+ deaths in the USA.  This is very minor compared to the regular flu.

Not to turn this into a debate, but this whole things has turned everyone's world upside down.  Business, travel, schools, stock market and people getting sick has made yours and my life an unknown.  We (those on these boards) have money tied up in cruises that may not go, we may not get our money back, we may never cruise again.

Just trying to be positive that this will be over soon.

FYI: All 40 million residents in the state of California have been ordered to stay home to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

22 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

I WAS booked on the Ruby for the 5/16/20 sailing.  I canceled on 3/9/20 (prior to the 57 day cancellation policy where you start loosing some REAL money, it would have occurred on 3/20/20), for me this meant cancellation fees of "PVP and deposit".  I had booked the cruise under a $1 deposit situation, although I actually used FCDs.  

The cancellation fees actually were the cost of the PVP and $2.  Everything else was credited back to the credit card withing 30 hours of the cancellation.  It is irrelevant to me whether or not I ever get the $2 and PVP back as a FCC.

I am only posting this for your information, I am not suggesting any course of action for any of you.

UPDATE to this post that I made earlier this week

I just had the amount of PVP and $2 posted as a FCC to our Captains Circle accounts.   3/20/20

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

I just had the amount of PVP and $2 posted as a FCC to our Captains Circle accounts.   3/20/20

I think you got lucky, I went ahead and also did this for same reason.  However she told me that it could take up to 30 days at this point.  But I feel like once they cancel these additional cruises until the July ban, it will be another wave of transactions for them to process.  We are good with our decision regardless, good luck to all with future sailings and decisions!

12 hours ago, nooptere said:

FYI: All 40 million residents in the state of California have been ordered to stay home to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Projections are that in at least 8 weeks time 20 million Californians alone could possibly have COVID-19....

20 hours ago, roxievegas said:

Flu death statistic would be much much lower if more people got the yearly flu shot......50% of Americans choose not to get the shot each year so it is not necessarily the flu that is so deadly it is because people do not take the vaccination to hinder or prevent the flu.....there is no known prevention, treatment or cure for COVID-19 at this time other then social distancing so in that way it is much much different then the common seasonal flu.....

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 8:51 AM, cruising deacon said:

UPDATE of UPDATE     ******

Today (3/22/2020) the FCC no longer is showing up in my CC account!      Easy come...east go

38 minutes ago, cruising deacon said:

Today (3/22/2020) the FCC no longer is showing up in my CC account!      Easy come...east go

What happened?  And, are you actually that nonchalant about it or do you think it is coming back in cash??  

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

What happened?  And, are you actually that nonchalant about it or do you think it is coming back in cash??  

I think they only had  $2 FCC amount, from what I read before.  But saw another post that others have noted their FCC's are disappearing also.  Kinda of disappointing. 😱

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

Mine said it has been applied to my May 10th sailing on the Sapphire which they cancelled Feb 15th.  Not sure what is going on

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 3:59 PM, picture said:

i’m totally confused on the cancellation policy from princess cruise lines.

This cruise has not been canceled by the cruise lines yet though I expect it will be.

does anyone know if I cancel this cruise now will I get the money refunded back to my credit card and just the cancellation fees as future cruise credits??

or will I be getting the entire amount back as a future cruise credit??

thank you

We canceled our May 16th cruise on March 19th ...we will eventually get our money back less the cancelation fee which will be applied as a FCC if/when we book another cruise. My TA said Pricess is saying CC refunds could take up to 60 days. 🤔

10 minutes ago, TXRed said:

We canceled our May 16th cruise on March 19th ...we will eventually get our money back less the cancelation fee which will be applied as a FCC if/when we book another cruise. My TA said Pricess is saying CC refunds could take up to 60 days. 🤔

We cancelled the exact same day for same cruise dates.  Don't have a TA, but the CSR told me 30 days to process, however I'm not holding my breath, lol.  Just wanted to be done with it so I could stop worrying about what to do.  Did your TA mention whether they would send email confirmation prior to credits being issued?  The only paperwork we have is the cancellation confirmation email, of course doesn't state specifics or anything about our excursions that were booked along with cruise either.  Just a wait and see game now.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 12:58 PM, 13cheermom said:

We cancelled the exact same day for same cruise dates.  Don't have a TA, but the CSR told me 30 days to process, however I'm not holding my breath, lol.  Just wanted to be done with it so I could stop worrying about what to do.  Did your TA mention whether they would send email confirmation prior to credits being issued?  The only paperwork we have is the cancellation confirmation email, of course doesn't state specifics or anything about our excursions that were booked along with cruise either.  Just a wait and see game now.  Good Luck!

WE just wanted to be done with it too. Our CA told us Princess told Him 30-60 days for a refund on CC...he did not mention getting a notice. That's all we have is the cancellation email. We booked our own excusriosn..one issued us a full refund, the other charges us a cancellation fee...will not book with them again. Yep it's wait and see. Good Luck to you as well and to everyone who has been affected by the virus. God Help Us All