Dressing for a Princess cruise

LinnieRed

13 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Because its a special and fun night. If you dont want it to be special, ok.ruins the ambiance for me. Thats why I have Cunard as mt next cruise. Frankly I think Princess should abolish the dress code. 

Of course, dressing up ruins the 'ambience' for those who wish a more casual 'ambience'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Didn't realize that this was such a sore point with people. I am in my house now wearing jeans switching between several different pairs that are of course laundered but I haven't been pressing them. I am not someone who loves to iron but will certainly do so when needed.  But... this discussion may be somewhat moot as:

If anyone has access to the article that appeared yesterday in Bloomberg Business about what may lie ahead for the cruise industry.. very enlightening and interesting. Don't forget Carnival Corporation, the parent company of Princess faces criminal investigation in Australia for the situation with one of the ships, the Ruby Princess I believe as well as both Costa and Princess facing thousands of lawsuits that have already been filed or will soon be filed as part of a class action from passengers and their treatment.

Just read a sad article about crew members who are still on ships including entertainers who are essentially stuck. No way to get home and many will not be paid past their current contract expiration leaving them jobless as well as homeless. Ships are using up their food stocks in inventory and waiting for resupply.

2 hours ago, bookmama22 said:

Didn't realize that this was such a sore point with people. I am in my house now wearing jeans switching between several different pairs that are of course laundered but I haven't been pressing them. I am not someone who loves to iron but will certainly do so when needed.  But... this discussion may be somewhat moot as:

There are some who only see jeans as work clothes.  As many have stated, jeans are only suitable wear for someone working in the garden or doing lawn work.  They think it is below their station to associate with anyone who wears jeans to dinner.  Of course some jeans cost more and are more fashionable than slacks bought from walmart.

I've always wondered how they know who is wearing jeans?  Do they crawl around under tables inspecting the pants others wear?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

There are some who only see jeans as work clothes.  As many have stated, jeans are only suitable wear for someone working in the garden or doing lawn work.  They think it is below their station to associate with anyone who wears jeans to dinner.  Of course some jeans cost more and are more fashionable than slacks bought from walmart.

I've always wondered how they know who is wearing jeans?  Do they crawl around under tables inspecting the pants others wear?

Hubs worked  on a farm for 40 years driving tractor! Would he wear those? Of course not we would wash them first...lol

🙂 Keep laughing !

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Haha 1

Here in the southwest and west also jeans are worn by most all men.  It is accepted from frontier times.  I worked on customer sites and per company rules wore cotton pants and a button shirt.  I had a customer (bank) who told me on the first visit that I would not be allowed entrance again if I was not wearing jeans.  I gladly complied.  Wearing jeans is just something we do here.  

• Like 1

Well.. I am a baby boomer so I have been wearing jeans since the 60's. I work in an office that is business casual and I only go into my office now 2 days a week. Only time I have worn jeans to my office is if I am one of the few people coming in to do work at my desk during a holiday like Christmas break when I know a lot of people are not around. There are plenty of people who come in very casually dressed including team jerseys, mostly for the Rangers as we are right near MSG and we are not dealing with the public. A lot of hockey fans in my office and a lot of people head to games after work. 

When asked how you know if people are wearing jeans.. well if you are seated at a table you generally glance up at people walking by you.  I am talking about people you see who literally look as if they slept in their jeans, sometimes wearing jeans with what looks like stains.

On 4/18/2020 at 7:29 AM, Reader0108598 said:

I will sit with anyone as long as they are not an ***** could care less what you wear!  🙂

On our last cruise there was a man at our table for the wine tasting. He immediately decided we were ***** because we are from California. He was not even a tiny bit subtle about it. His wife seemed a bit embarrassed by his reaction. It had nothing to do with how we were dressed.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 11:40 AM, RocketMan275 said:

I have had jobs that required long sleeves and ties. Jeans were not acceptable. Period. Later in life, I worked for the state of California. I started with Dockers and polo shirts. As I advanced at work I dressed more casually. The last 8 years I worked I wore only jeans. I often wore jeans, Birkenstock sandals, and aloha shirts (what many call Hawaiian shirts). I think the only shoes I wore were sandals for a couple of years. The last 8 years I worked I covered all of our department's offices in the northern third of California which is a pretty large area. I remember one day when I was visiting an office and someone was surprised and said, "What? No Hawaiian shirt?" I turned around and she found I was simply wearing an open flannel "over shirt" because it was cold. I've "mostly" lived in jeans my entire life. Where I live they are just normal wear - except in summer when it's just too dang hot to wear long pants. In the summer you will find folks in shorts in the most uppity restaurants in town. When cruising I wear Dockers on "smart casual" evenings. During the day I wear jeans or shorts. I'm not a "fancy" kind of guy. Having said all of that, I wear a suit on formal nights when cruising. It's not that difficult to do and fits with what the cruise line requests.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I have had jobs that required long sleeves and ties. Jeans were not acceptable. Period. Later in life, I worked for the state of California. I started with Dockers and polo shirts. As I advanced at work I dressed more casually. The last 8 years I worked I wore only jeans. I often wore jeans, Birkenstock sandals, and aloha shirts (what many call Hawaiian shirts). I think I wore only sandals for a couple of years. The last 8 years I worked I covered all of our department's offices in the northern third of California which is a pretty large area. I remember one day when I was visiting an office and someone was surprised and said, "What? No Hawaiian shirt?" I turned around and she found I was simply wearing an open flannel "over shirt" because it was cold. I've "mostly" lived in jeans my entire life. Where I live they are just normal wear - except in summer when it's just too dang hot to wear long pants. In the summer you will find folks in shorts in the most uppity restaurants in town. I wear Dockers on "smart casual" evenings. During the day I wear jeans or shorts. I'm not a "fancy" kind of guy. Having said all of that, I wear a suit on formal nights when cruising. It's not that difficult to do and fits with what the cruise line requests.

Very much like my progression.

Started out in three piece suits and ended in jeans.

A manager I knew well told me that he didn't understand why all the younger engineers preferred casual wear.  He said when he started out wearing a suit was a matter of distinction, it showed that you weren't just a worker, you were someone important, you were a professional.

I think this is a major reason some want to dress up.  It allows them to show that their important.  Very much like wearing a visible resume - look at me, I'm important. 

Then there are some who are like me and couldn't care less if someone on a cruise ship thinks I'm important or not.  I'll never see them again so what does it matter? 

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have had jobs that required long sleeves and ties. Jeans were not acceptable. Period. Later in life, I worked for the state of California. I started with Dockers and polo shirts. As I advanced at work I dressed more casually. The last 8 years I worked I wore only jeans. I often wore jeans, Birkenstock sandals, and aloha shirts (what many call Hawaiian shirts). I think the only shoes I wore were sandals for a couple of years. The last 8 years I worked I covered all of our department's offices in the northern third of California which is a pretty large area. I remember one day when I was visiting an office and someone was surprised and said, "What? No Hawaiian shirt?" I turned around and she found I was simply wearing an open flannel "over shirt" because it was cold. I've "mostly" lived in jeans my entire life. Where I live they are just normal wear - except in summer when it's just too dang hot to wear long pants. In the summer you will find folks in shorts in the most uppity restaurants in town. When cruising I wear Dockers on "smart casual" evenings. During the day I wear jeans or shorts. I'm not a "fancy" kind of guy. Having said all of that, I wear a suit on formal nights when cruising. It's not that difficult to do and fits with what the cruise line requests.

I understand what you are saying ! Everyone should dress the way they want. We would have a packing issue then he has to bring his huge shoes..lol Would cost us 30:00 a bag now we are trying to cut down to one.Happy cruising!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Haha 1

Being a baby boomer my mother put me in jeans early on and that is what I wore 100% of the time all the way through college.  Therefore I feel very comfortable in jeans.  

I worked for an international computer company with factories in silicon valley.  When they first started building computers they needed programmers.  While the dress standards were decent for the time in the factories, the new programmers were smartly dressed in shorts, Birkenstock, grateful dead tshirts and long hair.   They had to add an outside entrance for them and kept them in a secluded area away from the rest who were aghast over these young people's dress habits.  Of course advance a decade or so and the dress code had met the young love child's dress habit.  

Had to chuckle over the jerk who reacted to folks from CA as I have seen it around here.  CA is constantly ridiculed and they believe it is a land of fruits and nuts.  I have no problem with most folks but the rednecks and bigots are hard to endure.   

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed on the Regal, Royal, Caribbean Princess and Sky.  Men were allowed to wear dress shorts and a collared shirt in the dining room on the first and last night of the cruise in the dining room.  On any other non-formal night, men are required to wear slacks and a collared shirt.