for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Anita and Lois, wondering if this new storm with a name I can’t pronounce, is likely to affect either of you. Hoping it will die down or turn out to sea.

The  Mac and Cheese Sounds yummy But, like  Lois, I would pass on the additional spice. I too like well flavored food but not hot-spicy.

Also thought Cruisemom’s dinner plan sounds good. The ciabatta with wine would be great-I do have wine but, sadly, no ciabatta.

Dinner over hear is a pasta dish with sauce, meat and lots of different vegetables. It just needs to be reheated as it was in the freezer. Will do a spring mix green salad and raspberries for dessert. It’s 102 here today so trying to spend as little time as possible  in the kitchen.

Lois, hoping you find the perfect bed-there are so many different choices out there. 

I’m wondering what Kat has been up to. She hasn’t posted in a few days. Hope all is ok with her-she is missed for sure!

OOTD more of the same ole, same ole and no make up.

Sharon

I love Alton Brown . His fudge recipe is sooo good . I like mac and cheese . My So loves lobster mac and cheese so I make it occasionally . It is good but lots of pots and pans .I also live in Florida on Sarasota Bay so I will have a front row seat for any storm.

• Like 1

ees ah EE es

Sharon...I just looked up what you were talking about and yeah, looks like FL has the potential to be impacted, but there is still too much uncertainty for any real knowledge. It’s like all we know is that we need to be paying some attention going into the weekend so we can be prepared.

Tis the season!

For the record...the Mac wasn’t spicy. We all love spicy...and this was one of those, am I imagining a bit of spice in there? kind of spicinesses. Is that a real word? 🤔

Sally haven’t tried AB’s fudge. Never made fudge actually. I haven’t had as much fun in the kitchen of late. I will say that I am so thrilled to have a gas stove again...the flattops in the recent rentals were nice for clean up but such a different cooking experience. So glad we have gas again!

All of you in FL stay safe with this storm, looks like it has the potential to become quite nasty. We’re going to go to our son’s on Friday for a BBQ. Meet the new grandpup & just be with the grands. Our grandson is in AF & used his precious leave to come home, our granddaughter (14) flew in for a week from CA (we’re hoping she decides to come live with her Dad). I’m making my BLT ranch pasta salad & a strawberry (raspberry for me) shortcake. It’s so nice to have something to look forward to.

haven’t seen Kat on for a bit, hope she’s doing ok & didn’t have more trouble with her eye. Melody

Anita:  I hear you on the rethinking the hair (for now at least)  I haven't had a haircut in so long it's ridiculous....  I've had 3 cancelled appointments so far (each time salons got shut down days before my appointment)  at this point I've just given up...  I'll get a hair cut when it happens,  DH has taken to wearing soccer style headbands to hold his hair back...   

Cynthia, Anita, & Sally,  I love Alton Brown, & especially the new "revamp" episodes where he fixes mistakes in past episodes...  but, no, I have not sat a chicken in front of a fan either ;)

Melody, how wonderful to have family time to look forward to :)  & strawberry shortcake sounds great!

Sharon, yes, same old same old here, no makeup,  wearing ratty tank & shorts ;)

@slidergirl Kat, I hope everything is ok with you, hopefully you are just off on a wonderful camping trip :)

Florida ladies, stay safe from that storm this weekend, hopefully you just end up with some nice gentle rain, but if not, hope you're safe & prepared.

-Debbie

• Like 1

Hi girls, CK.....now I know your name😀 so will say hi Debbie!

I haven't worn make up in months LOL............

Rainy here again.......typical for July.  

Hi all.  I'm here.  The eye is OK.  I just got caught up in some stuff the past couple of days that took me down that rabbit hole of depression.  Allow me a little story here.  I worked with the US Bobsled and Skeleton Fed as Chief of Finish in Park City from 2000 until 2006 (including the 2002 Olympics).  I got to know so many athletes and some became friends.  I saw some start their careers as high schoolers and saw some finish out their careers.  There have been a few news stories this week in the NY Times and USA Today about the effects of concussions in sliding.  It brought back some bad memories of 4 that I knew who committed suicide and 1 who tried to.  It talked about some who have been developing Parkinson's.  It brought back some really bad memories.  Then one of the sliders I've kept in contact with alerted me to a film she did with Michael Phelps that was airing yesterday on HBO, "The Weight of Gold."  It spoke about the total lack of mental health care of elite athletes and how they are basically commodities to be tossed when they don't win.  She let me know that the film had stuff about one of the kids I knew from town and how he took his life 2 years ago (she was the one who found him in his room).  I tried to get ready.  About 2 minutes in, they show a picture of him and I just started bawling.  Then it got worse when they showed video he had made for a different documentary about his depression.  Then, Katie talks about how she was refused leave from the team to go to her father at his bedside when he died.  She was "too important".  She never got over it and no one would offer her mental health care.   It just made me to sad and depressed to know that all these young people didn't have to die or suffer with mental health issues.  So, I wasn't in much of a mood to do much of anything.    If you have HBO, watch it - "The Weight of Gold".  You'll be shocked and disgusted at the treatment of our "elite" athletes. 

Anyway, I'm back.  Got more depressed today watching the funeral of Rep John Lewis.  It was a very powerful and moving service.  

No idea what I'm going to do for dinner - how can I spend $70 2 days ago at Whole Foods and I can't find something for dinner????  Probably all the fruit, yogurt and sparkling water I bought.  Oh, Cruise Mom - they had the Sonoma Chicken Wrap back so I had to grab one for Tuesday dinner.  

OOTD:  my sleep Tshirt - I couldn't get up enough energy to change out of it.  

• Like 2

Hi Kat ((((((((((virtual hugs))))))))))) sorry you have been in that state and hoping you feel better soon.

I watched the entire service. It started at 11 and ended about 2:30..........thought it was really well done and 

John Lewis will be greatly missed.

55 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lois ;)   I still usually put on a tinted sunscreen, & if I'm feeling ambitious, I'll do an eyebrow gel, but lately not even the gel... 

& hey, regarding your mattress, one thing I learned when we bought a new one a few years back is to buy the best heavy duty mattress frame you can get,  the kind with heavy duty bars or small grids all over the frame, keeps your mattress from getting the middle sag.   that's my two cents worth :)

-Debbie

@slidergirl Kat, I'm so sorry for what you're going through,  & the treatment of young athletes is something I never really gave thought to, but I will now.   I know it's easy to go down the rabbit hole right now, & I've done it plenty, so sending you hugs & support,  I hope you can put on some clothes (or not, what the heck)  & just go out side & clear your head a bit.  XOXO

Kat, many virtual hugs. Our daughter was an elite athlete (runner) & still competes. Les & I were on Pikes Peak Marathon committee for 25 years & I'm still a USA Track & Field Masters Official (year 40) & we have the Olympic Training Center here in town . The mental anguish is hard for everyone to deal with especially for the athletes that have made Olympic aspirations their be all & end all. We’ve discovered over the years that those who did other things (even just reading or handcrafts) had a better handle on the intense stresses. The stress pops up at the most unusual times too. Hugs to you. 

Edited by awhfy

OMG, Kat-I had no idea about the treatment of the athletes. I don’t have HBO so, unfortunately, I can’t watch. It seems especially sad to me because these are young people who have dedicated their lives to something they loved and yet it cost some their lives while others are living with devastating affects of their experiences.  

I am so very sorry that you also suffered the profound affects of loosing friends that you treasured. Like Lois, I’m sending virtual hugs and of course you know that we are all here for you.

Now about grocery shopping yet nothing for dinner. I can’t even count the number of times that has happened here. I just shake my head and say “ how does this happen”?

Glad that you are back among us and I’m wishing you much better days ahead.

Today I actually put on make up! Can’t help but think about those days when make up was a daily thing and wonder if it ever will be again?

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 4:20 PM, awhfy said:

I had a postop appt today & have to have a ct & possibly more surgery 😢. I’ve developed a seroma on top of the long incision. He didn’t want to drain it before a ct as he wants to make sure it’s just fluid. I did get dressed in a new Chicos OTR outfit for my appt! Melody

068940DB-257A-4213-A650-26B8C70BE638.jpeg

Thanks for the tip about checking back on the OTR site.....ordered the top & jacket today.

16 hours ago, Lois R said:

I rarely work makeup before, so that part is still normal 🤣

Kat, my heart hurts for you and the athletes 💔 

Good morning, the only make up I ever wore (when I worked) was some eye shadow and mascara. That's it.  I don't

even put that on anymore.

Kat, sorry to hear about your reaction to the documentary. In these times I kinda feel like we are always about one step away from going over the edge, due to the stress we're already under.....  Hope you are able to find some peace; maybe spend some time in the great outdoors which seems to revive you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Thanks for the tip about checking back on the OTR site.....ordered the top & jacket today.

Yay!  Hope you like it, I surely do. Always check back things pop back in all the time

On 7/16/2020 at 2:06 PM, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, no hurricanes please..........or one at time. LOL

I found a tv and it is being delivered week after next......😀I was looking at a 55 inch but decided on 50 as it will fit better on the piece of furniture I have that it will sit on. And 50 inches is plenty large enough

for me.  The one I have now is 43 and I will put that in the bedroom. The one I have in there now is

32 inches (not very large these days).  I will probably donate that small one............

hi Lois -- you've inspired me to get a new TV for my bedroom. (The one I have in there now is teeny-tiny and is about 20 years old, lol....)

Did you end up getting yours through Best Buy? That's what I'm looking at....

My concern is that I want a larger TV (obviously!) -- probably around 40". I found one I like at Best Buy's website and I want to have it wall mounted. The old one just sits on my dresser.

I don't want to go into the store, but I'm worried about knowing what I need to purchase (if anything) other than the TV and the wall mount. Did you chat with them online or by phone?  I'm just wondering how best to proceed.

I also plan to get them to install it -- sounds like you did the same?

Back among the living...   I'm going to scattershot here because I've missed so much and the landscapers with their LOUD machines woke me up from a good dream this morning.

This is NOT a political post:  Why do I keep watching the Congressional hearings????   

I realized this morning that I wore a Tshirt that my athlete friend Katie gave to me back in 2006.   I have a lot of T-shirts from Olympic teams that I have converted to sleep T's.   I have a bunch of baseball hats from teams, too that I keep in rotation.  I have some things that I have been given that I keep in my "museum" - my Team USA 2002 parka, my Team Canada 2002 sweats, my Team Armenia 2002 baseball hat,  my Jamaican Bobsled 2002 baseball hat that was personalized for me, the Team Canada parka, shirts and hats from 2006.  I dan look at that stuff and still smile.   

I loved Good Eats!!!   He gave a meatloaf recipe that I used all the time back when.  It was always fun to watch because he injected some "science" of cooking into his whitty chats.  

Mac & Cheese:  Despite being high on the "you have diabetes, don't touch it" scale, I do give in once in awhile.  I'm actually a fan of the (surprise) Trade Joe's Green Chile M&C.  It's not heavy on cheese, but has a nice little heat on the back end from the chiles.  I'm a huge fan of Cholula Sauce - I'll put some on my M&C, my clam chowder, my eggs, my burgers, etc.  There was a little market in Cocoa Beach (Costal Produce) that had some interesting local hot sauces - I wish I had room in my carryon to stash some away when I was there.  Alas - small bag & glass bottles = trouble!!  

Tropical Storm/Hurricane Isaias:  I hope all of you down there in Florida hunker down and stay safe!  Hopefully it doesn't strengthen and only gives you some wind and rain.   I LOVE Florida and would love to spend more time there, but the Hurricanes just keep me away...  

I need to make a sticky note to keep track of everyone's "real" names - I have such a horrible memory that I have to keep scrolling back through the thread to find names!!!  

Awhfy - how did the exam go?  For some reason, I don't think I saw the outcome.  

Another hot day here, up to possibly 90 at the peak.  Sounds like a day for running shorts and a tank.   Back in the "old" days, I'd put on some eyebrow stuff since my eyebrows haven't made a total comeback from 2 years ago when they were going away.  And, a little line of eyeliner because my eyes have those nasty "hoods" so a little liner will divide my eye from the hood.  Well, for the last 7 weeks, I haven't even done that because of my eye issues.  Maybe in September.  I always put on moisturizer, always with SPF.  I would add a brush of bronzer, but not now because of my eye.  So, I'm a freakishly white face with "dog eyes" for now (I had someone say it looked like I had dog eyes because both eyes have had cataract surgery and the new lens have this glossy look).  Oh well.  

I think I'm going camping next week for a couple of days.  Just have to find a campground within 2 hours drive that has space (the Forest Service and State Park sites are reservation-driven) and where the mosquitos are dying.  It's also going to be hot and sunny, so I have to find a place that has some shade.  

I DO have to go out to the market sometime today - I just put the last batch of coffee beans in the coffeemaker this morning!!!  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

hi Lois -- you've inspired me to get a new TV for my bedroom. (The one I have in there now is teeny-tiny and is about 20 years old, lol....)

Did you end up getting yours through Best Buy? That's what I'm looking at....

My concern is that I want a larger TV (obviously!) -- probably around 40". I found one I like at Best Buy's website and I want to have it wall mounted. The old one just sits on my dresser.

I don't want to go into the store, but I'm worried about knowing what I need to purchase (if anything) other than the TV and the wall mount. Did you chat with them online or by phone?  I'm just wondering how best to proceed.

I also plan to get them to install it -- sounds like you did the same?

Hi Cynthia😀  yes, I got mine at Best Buy.  I actually did go into the store.  Everyone wears masks and I felt very

comfortable.  The guy who helped me was very nice and yes, I paid for them to have mine installed.  They can do

a wall mount for you.   As for not shopping in the store? Not sure about that part.  Do you have a store near you

that you can call? I would say do that first and see if someone in the "TV" dept can help you. Let them know what

you would like and how much you want to spend.  I would think they would help you over the phone.

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia😀  yes, I got mine at Best Buy.  I actually did go into the store.  Everyone wears masks and I felt very

comfortable.  The guy who helped me was very nice and yes, I paid for them to have mine installed.  They can do

a wall mount for you.   As for not shopping in the store? Not sure about that part.  Do you have a store near you

that you can call? I would say do that first and see if someone in the "TV" dept can help you. Let them know what

you would like and how much you want to spend.  I would think they would help you over the phone.

Thanks -- I'm going to work on it this weekend. We don't have Best Buy particularly close to where I live, and given the casual attitude people have here about masking up, I'm not sure I want to go in person. It looks like they have a "Help" or "Chat" online, so that will be my first step....

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks -- I'm going to work on it this weekend. We don't have Best Buy particularly close to where I live, and given the casual attitude people have here about masking up, I'm not sure I want to go in person. It looks like they have a "Help" or "Chat" online, so that will be my first step....

Cynthia - what electronics stores are nearby?  I'm just thinking that the Geek Squad (from Best Buy) probably has a limit on how many miles they will go.   I could go for a new bedroom TV, but that's just a want, not a need.  I only get basic cable in there and have a small place to put it.  No need for a whiz-bang HD smart TV in there.  I only pay HD prices for the big connection in the living room (different connection boxes).  At least now, with my KIA Sportage, I could easily put it in the back; I USED to have an Audi TT convertible - no back, no trunk, had to wedge it in the passenger seat and keep the top down for the ride back up the mountain!!!  Good thing it was a sunny day.  And that was for a 26" diagonal size TV!!!!

UPDATE:  A friend let me know that the fish & chips food truck was in the supermarket parking lot, so I had to go!!  Ate the fish, not the chips.  I "dressed" up in my Athleta camo shorts and grey short-sleeve Woolx shirt.  Old yellow running shoes, faded red baseball hat.  

Oh, I AM going camping next week with the Old Hippie Ladies!  Don't get too close - you may get a contact high 🤪

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sounds like a good start.  Let us know how it goes🙂

We’ve bought out last 2 TVs at Costco. They don’t install, but can give you a “list” of folks that do. We just bought the wall mount for our bedroom & I installed it in less than 15 minutes...if I can do it...the tv in there is a 36”. Our monster (85”) was brought to us in SILs truck (with Les riding in the bed holding it upright, in the snow). Good thing it was only a couple of miles. The new TVs are so very much lighter than the old box ones. We used Costco because of the price & 5 year extended warranty (included in price). 

FYI. I’m still waiting for my ct results. I knew going in it’d be awhile as my surgeon (& his surgeon wife) were going on a well deserved vacation last week of July & first week of August I’m just surprised that the results aren’t posted on the web portal. I just want to bend over without discomfort (ok, outright pain). Melody

Edited by awhfy