Cruise Critic Community
slidergirl

for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

Hi, Thomas Keller also has a restaurant on the "SEABOURN" ships.  Supposed to be very, very good.

We got absolutely nothing from this storm .It was dark outside but not a drop of rain .I have never been a camper but I enjoy hearing people's adventures with it . Years ago we used to go to a resort on a lake in the summer . My daughter invited a friend to go with us .She said we were going camping . When we arrived at a three bedroom upscale cabin my daughter's friend said I thought we were going camping . My daughter said this is camping to my Mom .She has to use strange utensils .

I used to use cook books a lot pre internet . My favorite was James Beard and Joy of cooking . I mostly wing it now .

Does anybody have anything they hate to shop for ? Mine is purses .

I am on the other side of Florida so no rain for me.  In fact we are going to have a dry week ahead.  Camping is not for me either but I like all the upgrades everyone does to their camp sites.  I have a set of Southern Living Cookbooks but lately I have been cooking out of Pioneer Woman and Magnolia Table.  We have a Vera Bradley outlet not too far away and that is where I go for purses.  The last time I was there a line about 20 people long were waiting to get in so I will wait till next time.  I dislike shopping in general and especially now with all the rules so I have been using Amazon for any non-food items and Land's End for clothes.  Winn Dixie is a quick stop for food items.

Good morning friends🙂it rained a bit here yesterday but it reminded of a "normal summer" rain and not something

from a hurricane.  It is cloudy this morning and looks like it may rain today too.

Camping? I have a variety of experiences from my childhood.  I went to day camp when I was little. Then when I got into

Jr High I went to sleep away camp up in the mountains of Georgia for what back then were called "sessions".  If 

memory serves me, you could go for 2 weeks or 4 weeks.  It was fun. 

My family camped as well. I remember a couple of different trips.  One year we rented a pop up style (it attaches to

the car) and we drove up to North Carolina and met old friends from NY.  We went to Hanging Rock, NC.

One year we went to Myrtle Beach, SC.  When I say my family....it was me and my parents. My 2 sisters are older

than me and didn't go with us.  My oldest sis is 11 years older and my middle sis is 7 years older. So when I was

young? They were "older" and didn't join in on these trips.  When everyone gets older the age gap doesn't matter

really but when one sis is 10 (me) and the oldest is 21? She was already married LOL.

10 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

We got absolutely nothing from this storm .It was dark outside but not a drop of rain .I have never been a camper but I enjoy hearing people's adventures with it . Years ago we used to go to a resort on a lake in the summer . My daughter invited a friend to go with us .She said we were going camping . When we arrived at a three bedroom upscale cabin my daughter's friend said I thought we were going camping . My daughter said this is camping to my Mom .She has to use strange utensils .

I used to use cook books a lot pre internet . My favorite was James Beard and Joy of cooking . I mostly wing it now .

Does anybody have anything they hate to shop for ? Mine is purses .

I’m with your daughter’s friend’s mother!  My idea of camping used to be a Holiday Inn without cable; I’ve since upgraded to Hampton Inn without pool/hot tub

i also hate to shop for purses, I’ll dither for hours trying to get the ‘right’ one

We did not get much out of the storm, either. Just a few bursts or rain and wind throughout the day with sunshine in between.  I suspect our two sons in VA will get more rain out of this storm than we did.

I haven’t been camping in years but it  was our main form of vacation when our  3 sons were young. We always did tent camping with no electricity. Most of our camping was at various state parks in Indiana but one summer we drove to Yellowstone, camping all the way there and back.  It was a great trip!   

OOTD is currently an old t shirt that I got from a bike ride years ago and a pair of jammie pants.   I will put on exercise clothes to do my “circuit training”.  Back in March when I decided my gym was a place that could be a big source of spreading the virus I stopped going and started simulating the gym circuit training at home by using our stairs for the cardio and some large bleach bottles filled with water for weights.😂.  I do this 3x a week and try to get outside and walk at least 5 miles each day.  Gyms are open here in FL so I could go  back but I am not convinced it would be safe, so I ‘ll just keep doing my home gym for awhile.

My least favorite thing to shop for would have to be a bra, I only buy new ones when the old ones are falling apart.  My husband has been known to comment on a bra’s condition, telling me I really  need to buy a new one.  But I also hate to shop for purses and rarely do!

Time to get my “gym” open! 

Sherri🙂

Hi Sherri, I was thinking bras too LOL.......in my case I had to get new sets and when I say sets......back in

November I had a lumpectomy and had to find specific bras to wear after (while healing)...at least the women who

helped me at Dillard's and SOMA were both kind and professional.  Then I had to get different bras when I went

through radiation.  It was quite a challenge.   

My least favorite is shoes.  I have wide toes but not especially wide feet, plus not very long (I'm 5'4 on a good day).  Finding shoes that fit all areas - let alone are cute - is frustrating.  Second least favorite is swimwear - I'm extremely endowed but not super wide.  I'm blessed with a great bra fitting store about an hour away and they have a couple suits, but limited selection and very pricy.

OOTD is denim capris paired with a loose knit/crochet top over a tank.  Donating blood this afternoon so want to be presentable 🙂 

Morning all!   I'm so happy to hear all y'all in FL were spared any bad conditions and damage.   I'm now thinking about the relatives in South Carolina...

Hmm. What do I hate to shop for.  Right now, it's alcohol!  We have State Stores.  They've been limiting the number of people in the Store right now.  Nothing like waiting in line on pavement with no shade in the upper 80s for 15 minutes to get in and grab a bottle of wine!!!!   Outside of that, I'll go with bras.  I'm right on the line between a 36 and a 38 - some 36s are too tight and some 38s end up too loose.  When you are a DDD, you can't just walk into Victoria's Secret or Nordstrom and pick up a bra.  I would like to donate some boob tissue to someone in need so I can at least move down to a DD...

OOTD:  I have to hit the pharmacy for some refills, so "real clothes" are in order once I do my shower.  It'll be another running skirt and a Tshirt.  The camo shirt is now washed, so maybe I'll put that one on.  

Quick update:  At the grocery store this afternoon, I perused the beer section to maybe get some more Mango Car.  Well, my eyes spied a solo can of the Michelada made by Golden Cart!!!  It was the Spicy Piña one, so it was made with Pineapple Cart beer and spicy Clamato.  I figured I'd give it a try since it was Pineapple Cart.  I stopped off Cafe Río and and picked up a taco salad on the way home.  I popped open the Michelada and gave it a swig.  Nope, not me.  Same taste that I didn't like before.  Oh well, don't know if you don't try it.  

It got up to 96 at the height of the afternoon.  It NEVER gets that hot up here.  I'm so hot I'm just a slug. 

Bras....definitely bras... I'm really picky about bras and I feel like I'm a hard fit on top of that...so I seriously hate bra shopping. 

Last night was a big momma/son cooking night! We roasted potatoes. Made the white and peppercorn gravy. Chicken fried steak and then green beans. A whole lot of cooking. It was the first time in my life I have ever fried anything!! How crazy is that? It all came out very very good. Tons of gravy left over so we're going to add sausage and do the whole biscuit with sausage gravy. Good times.

I can get depressed thinking about DS going back to school. In my heart, I do have peace about the whole situation...but still. The world feels messed up KWIM?

I've been researching more breathable masks. I made long ones for DH and I...they are like a normal mask around the face but they hand down like a bandana/scarf. They are very breathable...but DS isn't keen on wearing that. I've found several "breathable" videos on YouTube with the mask having a kind of bump out in the design to push the mask away from your face. I'm going to give a couple of these a try and see how they go. Making some masks for DS is on my agenda.

Good morning, I had fresh fish for dinner last night.   Anyone have Cobia before? I think this was my first time

and I have to say, it is is DELICIOUS😀.  It is a white fish that is thick but at the same time flakey. Simply outstanding!

I had a piece of Cobia along with a piece of Mahi (which I have always loved). I put some Mrs Dash on them along with paprika. Then I squeezed a fresh lemon and added some of Marie's newer dressing called

Wildflower and Honey Lime Vinaigrette.   OMG.....20 minutes on 400 and both pieces were cooked perfectly! 

Lois, I love Cobia, hard to find. If you ever see AmberJack grab it. It is a very mild, flaky white fish so very good. 

Fish!!!  Living on the coast gives you some good fresh choices.  Out here, not so much.  And, when it's here, it's rather pricey.  Usually it's salmon and halibut and ahi.  I saw a couple of red snapper at Whole Foods the other week, but now the season ended for catching them.  I'm weird, I think.  I love ocean fish, but I cannot stand fresh water fish.  We have a ton of good looking fresh trout up here, but I just don't like it.  Oh well.  

It's another hot, dry, windy day up here.  National Weather Service issued another Red Flag Warning for us.  I really want to get down to Salt Lake to Trader Joe's, but I don't want to wait in line in 100+degree heat to get in.  I'll have to make do with Whole Foods today.  I still can't believe it got up to 96 here in town yesterday - I honestly can't remember all that many days in the 90s since I moved here in 1988!!  Oh - my relatives in South Carolina made it through Isaias unscathed.  Now, it's the few that live in VA around Hampton Roads that have the issues...  

I saw an ad one the weekend for Census takers for my county.  I thought I'd maybe look into it - I've been a survey taker as part of my Sociology degree (part of the first major survey of the Los Angeles Jewish community and a survey of children's health in Los Angeles).  Pick up a couple of dollars.  Then, today, I saw that "they" are cutting short the Census...  That idea went out the window.   They were going to pay $15/hr, which, if you did a full 8 hours/day, is the same that the Unemployment Supplement was.  Depending on what happens in the next few weeks, I may have to pull the trigger and sign up for Social Security.  I've been holding off as long as I can to get the most I can.  It's also a delicate dance then between SS and how much I can make when I work the Winter season.  One thing I found out: SS doesn't know if you get UI and UI doesn't know if you get SS.  I can keep my $360 UI, sign up for SS and get that money and then, if the Supplement is restored, get that, also.  But, my ethics wouldn't let me do that.  So, I'm in a little  bit of limbo right now.  

Nothing on the schedule today since I thought I was going camping.  Maybe I'll clean the kitchen a little.  

OOTD:  the trusty gray sleeveless hoody mini dress.  I washed my hair yesterday and let it dry natural.  It was curly for about 2 hours - the total lack of humidity straightened it back out!  I'm just going to bandana it if I go anywhere - re-wetting it is only going to kind of curl it back.  

Below Deck Med:  Hannah should have stood up for Kiko - she told him the food to make.  She needed to take ownership of her part in that menu.  Hannah likes to throw people under the bus.  I'm hoping they get Ben or Adam again!!!  Kind of rooting for Adam.  

HI Kat, I have a friend in California who was helping with the Census but now during the virus everything changed.......

(not on the census) but with the takers.  He is not going to do it anymore.   They wanted him to start going in 

person (before it was over the phone).  Well, during this pandemic and the way some folks have been reacting to it?

He doesn't want to go knock on doors.  ( I don't blame him).  

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I saw an ad one the weekend for Census takers for my county.  I thought I'd maybe look into it - I've been a survey taker as part of my Sociology degree (part of the first major survey of the Los Angeles Jewish community and a survey of children's health in Los Angeles).  Pick up a couple of dollars.  Then, today, I saw that "they" are cutting short the Census...  That idea went out the window.   They were going to pay $15/hr, which, if you did a full 8 hours/day, is the same that the Unemployment Supplement was.  Depending on what happens in the next few weeks, I may have to pull the trigger and sign up for Social Security.  I've been holding off as long as I can to get the most I can.  It's also a delicate dance then between SS and how much I can make when I work the Winter season.  One thing I found out: SS doesn't know if you get UI and UI doesn't know if you get SS.  I can keep my $360 UI, sign up for SS and get that money and then, if the Supplement is restored, get that, also.  But, my ethics wouldn't let me do that.  So, I'm in a little  bit of limbo right now.  

Kat, something to consider is that both of these are programs you paid into and are entitled (generally not a good word but applies here).  If either considers assets as a whole then I agree it would be dishonest to not include them, but if not I would think of it more as if you were a beneficiary on any other type of insurance that paid out during the same time.

Best wishes in your decision.

We got a lot of rain on Monday afternoon from the "storm" as it passed up the coast -- and strong gusts of wind. Had a 45 minute power outage at one point, but luckily it was back on before we started to swelter.

I've got little new to talk about...  Working, reading, doing a little more cooking. Not very exciting stuff. I put off the new TV for now as it just seems like something I'd have to shop for IRL, not online. :classic_mellow:

I have two "virtual" events to participate in today, so I have to go find some work appropriate clothes and put on my make-up. I'm growing to hate Zoom -- can I just say my webcam is broken??

Good morning friends,  I had my first mammogram in June post lumpectomy and everything came back looking good.

The other day after getting out of the shower I thought I felt something below the scar area.......it does not feel like

a lump per se but I went to see my Oncologist.  I am having another ultrasound today......the Dr's office (it was his

assistant who helped me) and she said it felt more like scar tissue but we scheduled an additional ultra sound just

to be safe. I don't know how quickly the results will come back but if you could keep a good thought, I would 

appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Good morning friends,  I had my first mammogram in June post lumpectomy and everything came back looking good.

The other day after getting out of the shower I thought I felt something below the scar area.......it does not feel like

a lump per se but I went to see my Oncologist.  I am having another ultrasound today......the Dr's office (it was his

assistant who helped me) and she said it felt more like scar tissue but we scheduled an additional ultra sound just

to be safe. I don't know how quickly the results will come back but if you could keep a good thought, I would 

appreciate it.

Positive thoughts flowing up the coast from Indian Harbour Beach😀

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

appreciate it.

🤞🏻🙏🏻🤞🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻  Likely scar tissue, good that you’re following up. Melody

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

I don't know how quickly the results will come back but if you could keep a good thought, I would 

appreciate it.

Definitely will keep positive thoughts for you.  Hope you get results that put your mind at ease.

Hi girls, looks like it is good news😀. They had a Dr on staff (along with the tech) who did the Ultra sound and  the Dr

was actually in the room with us. She was very nice and quite sure this is nothing bad.  She asked me if I had radiation. That would be a yes.

She also asked me if I sleep on my left side--that would be a yes too. And that is where the

lumpectomy was done.  She said radiation can definitely take a toll on the area and she said I could try and sleep on

my right side.  And yes, part of it is scar tissue as well.  

Thanks for all the good wishes🙂

That’s great news Lois!  I’d get a body pillow & place it on your left side to keep you from rolling onto it. That’s what I had to do when I had the abdominal surgery.