for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

37 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Conundrum is good when I can find it.  Problem of a state with a state-controlled liquor store.  My go-to red is silly little Santa Cristina Toscana.  A red that satisfies my love of Brunello without the $60 price tag.  The sommelier from Stein Eriksen Lodge turned me on to this on - a good Italian Red at an awesome price point.  I've got a bottle laying on my kitchen counter right now.  

Next time I venture to the liquor store (needs to be a time where there is NO waiting outside the building), I'll take a look for Silver Lake Riesling.  I see that there are 3 - Sweet, Dry, Rosa.  Which one?  

I like the Roza.

12 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Kat I like the dry Riesling. Never go to Rose (as even the essence if strawberry makes me itch). I’ll look for the red. I like Italian reds. If you have a Cheers by you they have Conundrum red for $22 & the white for $16. The white is a nice blend 

awhfy --- thanks for the tip on the Chico's OTR top  not having much give --- I ordered up a size & it's perfect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat I like the dry Riesling. Never go to Rose (as even the essence if strawberry makes me itch). I’ll look for the red. I like Italian reds. If you have a Cheers by you they have Conundrum red for $22 & the white for $16. The white is a nice blend 

We have no commercial liquor or wine stores.  It's all controlled by the State.  You have to go to the State Store to buy your hooch.  Fortunately, we have 2 up here (some people have to drive a couple hours to get to one).  The one by me has a kind of decent selection - it's about the size of your average strip mall liquor store.  The other one is in town, so 6 miles away.  It is one of 2 designated "Wine specialty" stores in the state.  It has a really decent selection.   That's kind of why I take the recommendations of my sommelier co-workers/friends - at least they know what is available at the store.   The rum selection still sucks, though - I guess no one up here likes to sip a finely aged rum like they would a cognac.  I still have some of what I brought back from Puerto Rico, but when it's gone I'll have to make a roadtrip to Las Vegas to Earl's Discount Liquor.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 57redbird said:

awhfy --- thanks for the tip on the Chico's OTR top  not having much give --- I ordered up a size & it's perfect.

Yay!  I’m glad it worked out for you!  It’s such a pretty top

• Like 1

I bought a top at Chico's last month . It was so cute until I washed it . It shrunk down to nothing . I just purchased it again in a size larger and will be ultra careful . Luckily it was on sale so not much money wasted . Yesterday I went to the dentist . They are doing everything to make you feel safe . I had on Chico's long shorts and a talbot print shirt with a few bracelets.Last night I made chicken in white wine and lemon with lots of mushrooms .Love all the food ideas .Keep them coming !

• Like 1

Glad to read such happy things about the dentists. DS goes this afternoon...

Mom and son cooking has made pan fried chicken that was pounded out to an even thickness...and a pan sauce. Simple steamed veggies. 

And yesterday we made a baked mac and cheese...OMG...that was good. What's the deal with mac and cheese and needing to avoid? I mean...I know the fat content is high...but I thought the concern was sugar? Anyway...this mac had bacon and seeded jalapeños. And it wasn't really baked...more like the topping was broiled. The sauce was based on cheese melted into heavy cream, so again, more fat and not as much sugar. It all was so simple really...and so good. But not helpful I guess.

Last night I pan fried chicken again with a Creole seasoning that Emeril shared on Martha's show years and years ago. I wrote it down and have used it ever since. SO GOOD. Anyway...the seasoning was sticking to the pan more than the chicken, so I grabbed an onion and chopped it up, used a bit of boxed chicken broth and used those together to deglaze the pan. Added a couple of diced tomatoes...and then dumped in all the left over rice from Chinese take out...a sort of quick take on jambalaya I guess. Served with steamed broccoli...very tasty.

Kansas used to only sell alcohol in liquor stores, IIRC they weren't state run though...and they couldn't sell anything BUT alcohol...so like, no mixers, no limes, no soda, etc. I'm trying to remember, I didn't drink much in Kansas. NC has state controlled liquor stores...but only for hard alcohol. Beer and wine are available everywhere else. It can be frustrating because most of the stores have similar offerings...but in NC we could really tell where the nicer areas of town were based on the liquor store. The nicer areas would have nicer whiskey offerings...what DH enjoys...and the less nice wouldn't have ANY top shelf liquor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailor_Sally said:

I bought a top at Chico's last month . It was so cute until I washed it . It shrunk down to nothing . I just purchased it again in a size larger and will be ultra careful . Luckily it was on sale so not much money wasted . Yesterday I went to the dentist . They are doing everything to make you feel safe . I had on Chico's long shorts and a talbot print shirt with a few bracelets.Last night I made chicken in white wine and lemon with lots of mushrooms .Love all the food ideas .Keep them coming !

Sally, return the top that shrunk, it shouldn’t do that 

Hi Anita, I think the deal with mac and cheese is partially the pasta itself........it (like many pastas) has ALOT of 

carbs. Those are the things that many people have to avoid as they are what turn to sugar.  So, not sure about the

fat intake but I do know the carbs are very high.

Anita, I think the concern with mac n' cheese is the carbs from the pasta, combined with the fats from the butter and cheese. (Lois and I posted at the same time 😉 ).

We have state stores (Fine Wine and Good Spirits) in PA, but the state started allowing beer & wine purchases at grocery and gas stations that have a cafe section.  It was bizarre when we took DD to school in Indiana and their Meijer (similar to Walmart) had a spirits section - DH plans to spend his birthday money there this year while DD and I pick up snacks and cleaning supplies  for the dorm 😄   Oddly enough I saw mini bottles of Fireball whisky at the gas station and was told they were considered a malt beverage.  One of my state stores says they don't sell any malt beverages (so can't get cider there) but they do sell Fireball🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, Sally, I went to the dentist yesterday too😀...got pearly whites now🙂

I go now on the 24th.  I go 4x a year - I'm a major plaque creator.  Since we started doing this, my teeth have been happy/healthy.  

Hmm.  chicken with mushrooms and white wine - sounds like a keeper.  May try that.  

I remember the state stores in PA when I was a kid.  My town was a "dry" town, but right over the town limits we had 3 bars and 2 beer distributers where you'd go to pick up your beer.  The family wasn't a booze drinker - we'd get a bottle of Old Crow for my grandma to help with her occasional vertigo (really) - but was big on beer.  I remember going to the state store once - you had to tell the clerk what you wanted and he'd to go the back and get it for you.  There were a couple of shelves with displays of the few things they had.  Now, when I go to a "free" state or country, I LOVE to wander the aisles of the supermarket and look at the offerings!

Pasta - the bane of diabetics...  the amount that you are "allowed" is so small that it isn't worth it.  Cheese is actually OK.  

Last night I had the cauliflower "tots" casserole from Trader Joe's.  Surprisingly good.  "Tots" were made from I think riced cauliflower and looked like tater tots.  It had cheddar cheese on it.  I didn't think there was enough cheese (!) so I added some shredded mozz that I had.  Nuked it and then put it under the broiler to brown up the cheese.  I will be buying this next time at TJ's and probably adding some Cholula sauce on top before I eat it.   For tonight, the tuna is in the fridge, marinating in the spicy peanut sauce.  I'm really hoping this one tastes good.  

Now, this is NOT political:  the VP debate is going to be here in Salt Lake City.  Only 150-200 allowed for health& safety reasons.  Chances of getting a ticket - slim to none.  But, the Old Hippie Ladies really want to go!  If we get 3 of those Golden Tickets, I'm going to wear the boho outfit I had planned for the Andrea Bocelli concert.  The debate is Oct. 6 (or so), so the outfit will be right there with the Fall feeling.  Not many chances to be a part of history. 

Well, back to Red Flag Warning today.  Nothing like single-digit humidity to turn naturally curly hair dead straight!!!  

• Like 1

Hi girls, Kat, I go 4 times a year too.......but in my case, 2 x to the regular dentist and 2 x times to a Periodontist.  Gum

disease runs in the family and I go for them to do a cleaning as well.   You are the only other person I know who gets

their teeth cleaned as much as I do LOL

I have tried a few different kinds of the "riced cauliflower"......they make some different versions in the 

frozen vegetable section.  I have not liked any of them😦

Kat, UTAH is hosting a debate? Hope you get to go!   

• Like 1

Here in CA alcohol is sold everywhere. In MN, the liquor stores are separate from other stores. So, for example, TJ’s has a separate store next to the grocery store that just sells alcohol. Now in Japan, they sell beer in vending machines on the sidewalks!

16 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Here in CA alcohol is sold everywhere. In MN, the liquor stores are separate from other stores. So, for example, TJ’s has a separate store next to the grocery store that just sells alcohol. Now in Japan, they sell beer in vending machines on the sidewalks!

Up until spring of 2018, it was illegal to buy alcohol, including wine and beer, on Sunday in Indiana.   You could buy a drink in a restaurant or bar that served food, if their food sales accounted for 51% of their total sales, otherwise, bars had to close also. It seemed very strange for us to be able to buy wine or beer on Sunday when we moved down here to Florida.   Or to go to my favorite, Total Wine!

The food you all are mentioning sounds very good and is making me hungry!

Sherri🙂

• Like 2

Kat, I wonder how the tickets will be distributed? Lottery or? Hope you can snag some after all you already have your outfit picked out! 

I had my hair cut yesterday-outside! No shampooing so I went with hair shampooed and wearing a mask. Came home, washed it again (overkill???) and blew it dry. I asked my stylist how color was now handled (I do my own). He said You come with freshly shampooed hair, he cuts then applies color and you go home and wash it out yourself. Or he mixes up your color, lends you the bowl and paint brush and you apply your own color at home. CA does not allow shampooing, coloring or blow drying and nothing inside. So this is how stylists are complying. I suppose there are those who are not but they are taking a chance on a fine and possibly loosing their license. 

No makeup today-wire a mask for an early morning Costco run. 
Sharon

Kat, be careful with prepackaged cauliflower products if you are watching carbs.  Many contain tapioca or other starches which can up the carb count (still probably better than the traditional version).

I made a loaded cauliflower casserole recently (milk, cornstarch & cheese for sauce; steamed cf; bacon; green onions).  Really tasty and only time cauliflower really had that "comfort food" feel to me.  I do a lot of cauliflower rice, but make my own: chop a head and pulse in batches in food processor until "rice" consistency.  I usually fry with some sesame oil, butter, and seasonings. 

I also make pickled cauliflower by blanching some florets (less than 1 minute in boiling water, then ice bath or just cold water) and adding to left over banana pepper juice.  Let sit at least 3-5 days for the flavor to permeate.  We go through the industrial sized banana pepper jar at least once a month, so a nice way to minimize waste.

• Like 1

OOTD is a maxi skirt with navy ladies cut t-shirt.  DD had an MRI so dressed a little nicer and enjoyed our first in restaurant dining after the appointment.  Tables well spaced, staff wearing masks, and we kept ours on until after ordering and put on before paying.

My 25th Anniversary cruise was cancelled 💔 In the grand scheme it isn't that important, but we were really looking forward to both the ports (Southern Caribbean) and a more premium line (Viking Ocean vs our standard CCL or RCCL).

I thought it was interesting that Salt Lake was picked for the Vice Presidential Debate.  Ruby Red with 2 blocks of Blue - Salt Lake City limits and Park City.   We have no idea how the tickets will be distributed.  The performing arts hall where it's going to be usually holds just shy of 2,000.  So, 150-200 is going to be really small.  We've been looking everywhere for info on the tickets and can't find a thing.  For that small, I'm imagining that the tickets will be split between the parties and then given to the high-money donors or prominent people.  But we can dream!!!   If nothing else, we'll dress up and have a watch party with plenty of wine on hand. 

sharon - interesting how the stylist appt went.   Now, if I had to drive home with color on my hair, I'd be sure I had blackout windows on my vehicle!!!  How did you time the processing before you washed out?  I'd be lucky because I'm about a 4-5 minute drive from my stylist.  But, we do what we have to do in a crisis, right?  

It was always fun to walk into a supermarket in Austria and Germany - the beer and water were in a big room.  And, the beer was usually less expensive than the bottled water!   We always had fun picking out different waters to try.  But,  usually stuck to my Franziskaner beer.  

Hi everyone!   Sharon, congrats on the haircut,  I'm still going 'wild' with mine...

Just had our Thanksgiving cruise cancelled, I knew we weren't going, but was hoping for a decent offer...  HAL is offering double your deposit if you rebook, so we'll rebook for Thanksgiving 2021, fingers crossed lol

I'm a big Rose fan, & there's a few nice ones that are pretty cheap at Trader Joes...  thank goodness there are no alcohol buying restrictions here... then again, maybe some would benefit me...

Kat, I hope you can get tickets to the debate & safely go :)  I'm super excited about the VP pick :)

did a chuck roast in the instant pot yesterday, & had open faced sandwiches on ciabatta rolls..  DD & SIL came to swim & we ate outside...  apart  of course :)   she's a high school english teacher & stressed out as they started on Monday, online of course, but parents are not being kind as they want their kids in school & out of the house.   

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi everyone!   Sharon, congrats on the haircut,  I'm still going 'wild' with mine...

Just had our Thanksgiving cruise cancelled, I knew we weren't going, but was hoping for a decent offer...  HAL is offering double your deposit if you rebook, so we'll rebook for Thanksgiving 2021, fingers crossed lol

I'm a big Rose fan, & there's a few nice ones that are pretty cheap at Trader Joes...  thank goodness there are no alcohol buying restrictions here... then again, maybe some would benefit me...

Kat, I hope you can get tickets to the debate & safely go 🙂  I'm super excited about the VP pick 🙂

did a chuck roast in the instant pot yesterday, & had open faced sandwiches on ciabatta rolls..  DD & SIL came to swim & we ate outside...  apart  of course 🙂   she's a high school english teacher & stressed out as they started on Monday, online of course, but parents are not being kind as they want their kids in school & out of the house.   

I do like a nice Rosé in the Summer... But I now have to go wait in line at the State Store to get my wine and it's just too hot to wait in a parking lot with no shade.  

My grandniece starts her teaching career in the coming weeks as an elementary teacher.  I was stressing out big time for her - moving away from where she's lived all her life (PA) to South Carolina and her first job as a teacher is during the pandemic in a state that isn't yet stable.  But, she said that they are doing all on-line for the foreseeable future, so I'm a little reassured.  

• Like 1

Hi Debbie, I echo your excitement about the pick too.😀

We had a food truck today where I live.......I decided to go for it.  They were offering a combo.......1 slice of pizza

with 5 wings.  I have to say, the pizza was DELICIOUS. Just pepperoni and I don't eat real pizza anymore so this was

a real splurge.   The wings were with Teriyaki🙂  They had other choices of stuff but I was happy

with my picks.

• Like 1

Kat...the next time you go to the liquor store, bring an umbrella. When we first moved to FL last summer, I was doing my imitation of walkable living...having moved from living in downtown Winston Salem and having DS go to school in London. Most everything I needed was 1.3 miles or less from our apartment. The problem was the sun...so I started walking with an umbrella and it made a HUGE difference in how hot I was. So that's my advice...remember that umbrellas are useful for sun as well as rain.

Sharon...yeah for a haircut! Washing the color out at home seems a bit dicey to me. Maybe it's because of what I went through when I dyed my hair purple earlier this summer. You have to have a stainless steel sink...otherwise the coloring stains. Any splashes of water could stain the counter. What a pain. I still haven't had a hair cut in about 18 months now. I'm still contemplating cutting my own. 

I've made cauliflower rice too...but I think of it more as cauliflower couscous. I make my own and the consistency isn't really rice...but it is couscous and if I treat it like couscous with add-ins then it is a really good substitute for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Up until spring of 2018, it was illegal to buy alcohol, including wine and beer, on Sunday in Indiana.   You could buy a drink in a restaurant or bar that served food, if their food sales accounted for 51% of their total sales, otherwise, bars had to close also. It seemed very strange for us to be able to buy wine or beer on Sunday when we moved down here to Florida.   Or to go to my favorite, Total Wine!

In NC, we can beer and wine, but the state run liquor stores are closed on Sundays. Have to make sure I have enough tequila to get me through, though Sunday is usually the one day I don't drink.

• Like 1