for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi girls, Kat, I go 4 times a year too.......but in my case, 2 x to the regular dentist and 2 x times to a Periodontist.  Gum

disease runs in the family and I go for them to do a cleaning as well.   You are the only other person I know who gets

their teeth cleaned as much as I do LOL

I have tried a few different kinds of the "riced cauliflower"......they make some different versions in the 

frozen vegetable section.  I have not liked any of them😦

Kat, UTAH is hosting a debate? Hope you get to go!   

I’m another 4 time a year dental cleaner too 

• Like 2

I can’t stand cauliflower in any form. When the doctor recommended I not eat cauliflower or kale (too hard to digest)  I almost hugged him 🙄. I do have to limit broccoli & apples. I never knew apples were quite hard to digest. Melody

First of all, Debbie and Pacruise, I’m sorry that your cruises were cancelled. Hopefully there will be great cruising opportunities next year.

About the hair color, I did not have mine colored because I do that myself. I would not want to drive home with that stuff on my head unless I only had a few blocks to go. A friend of mine goes to the same stylist and does have her hair colored so I will have to ask her how it worked out. Anita, I know what you mean about the color staining things. I am always super careful with it. 

Debbie, since we are also on “the list” our schools are preparing for online teaching. It has been quite a process to set it all up and make sure that each student has the needed technology. I still can’t imagine how this is going to work out. Yes, there is a lot of disagreement here too  over opening schools vs online learning. 

Lois, food trucks are a lot of fun. We have lots of them here and they are more popular than ever now. 

Kat,  it will be interesting to see who gets the tickets. Maybe you and your friends can come up with a very relevant and compelling story, submit it to the campaign and see if it results in tickets.

So we have some really hot weather ahead and that means unhealthy air. Darn!

Sharon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our daughter is a high school PE teacher. She teaches mostly swimming & lifeguarding. Her district has opted for all students at home learning until 14 September. All teachers at school teaching their classes remotely. She’s going to teach the written portion of these classes on line, hard to teach lifeguards when they don’t have water. 

we hit day 35 yesterday of temps over 95. A new record for us & no end in sight. We’re very thankful that we put in new furnace & new ac last October...I wouldn’t have survived this, tge temps at night haven’t dropped below 75-80 (very unusual for here). Melody

• Like 1

12 hours ago, awhfy said:

I can’t stand cauliflower in any form. When the doctor recommended I not eat cauliflower or kale (too hard to digest)  I almost hugged him 🙄. I do have to limit broccoli & apples. I never knew apples were quite hard to digest. Melody

Before switching to a veggies most nutrition plan I didn't like most cruciferous vegetables but find I do like cauliflower and even broccoli now (still not a fan of brussel sprouts, but shredding helps).

I remember reading anything high fiber is difficult to digest, which would include apples, especially with skin.

• Like 2

I used to hate any kind of cooked cauliflower.  I could eat a little bit raw if I had something to dip it in.  Someone turned me onto Green Giant Cauliflower Mash with Cheddar and Bacon.  Yes!!!    Then, down in Cocoa Beach, FL, there is a wonderful restaurant called 4th Street Fillin' Station (yes, it's in the back of a gas station).  They have Asian Fried Cauliflower Bites.  I'll get an order as my dinner.  Trader Joe's has a Kung Pao Cauliflower (it's spicy) in a bag in the frozen section.  So, I'm starting to like cauliflower in it's new forms.  

I'm starting to think I have COVID (not really).  Two times in a row my dinner tasted bland.  One would think marinating a piece of tuna in spicy peanut dressing would yield a tasty tuna, but it was bland.  I think my tastebuds have taken a vacation.   I may have to drink some Cholula sauce to see if my tastebuds can be reanimated!!  

Melody - I know how you feel about the heat.  We have yet another Red Flag Warning for today.  And, the county Fire Marshall has issued a "no fires of any kind' mandate.  Don't know why that one took so long.   

It's another hot, dry day here in the mountains.  Running shorts and tank top will be the ootd.  I do have run a package over to my neighbor - the UPS guy accidentally dropped it on my door (I thought I was getting a surprise since I hadn't ordered anything).  I guess I should put on something to walk next door...

• Like 2

Melody, Kat, Sharon, & Pacruise, I feel the same way about the heat, yuck...  so far we've had a nice summer but the next 5 days look to be sweltering, which I am not a fan of.

Thank goodness when we did the house rebuild we put in a super good HVAC, so we're comfy,  we also have solar, so I have no guilt about running that AC 24/7 in the coming days.

Kat, I never realized until I read your posts that you got such heat in the Utah mountains, I pictured it being cool & gorgeous all summer with beautiful snow in the 

Winter.  :)    

Tonights dinner:  beef ribs in the instant pot, I will finish them under the broiler with some sugar free BBQ sauce.   :)   corn on the cob & sauerkraut 

Fashion wise I'm wearing my Amazon black cotton dress, but will change into running clothes in a bit

For my Bday last month we ordered floating shelves from ETSY,  they came & Steve hung them yesterday, & I love them so much!   The last thing we need to do to finish the kitchen is to install the crown molding, & then we'll be done :)IMG_9983.thumb.JPG.5ec3f08b8e4741e549f52b23235a9a13.JPG

• Like 2

Debbie-love, love the floating shelves! They are perfect against the subway tile.

Yep, heat with a capital H-well over 100 for the next several days. Just hope PG&E can keep the power on here! 

Actually put make up on today but heading to the bathroom next and take it all off!

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 1

Well the backsplash for the kitchen that has been on order since April has been discontinued & my order cancelled. I’m bummed; it took me months to decide on that one. I’ll likely just go with sea glass subway tiles now. Debbie, I really like the floating shelves on the white subway tile & your range hood.

our son & family staying at Stanley Hotel (location of The Shining). They went ghost hunting last night (safely) Melody

196F9486-FE80-4687-A0D3-25CBDF694612.jpeg

1B395A7D-85B3-454E-BEC7-A5AC6ADB649D.jpeg

DCB32556-E902-4FF3-B54C-54799A725FF6.jpeg

• Like 1

Good morning girls🙂 Debbie, love your shelves!  Looks like you have a big stove!

We have some news for anyone that likes/shops at Stein Mart.  They are filing bankruptcy and will be closing

nearly 300 stores (I think that was the number).  The home office is here and I live near 3 stores.  I should probably

go over and and see what kind of sales they are having.  They always have  good sales and in this case, I am

sure they will be even better.  I don't do much clothes shopping at all anymore but may check it out anyway.

Weather? Well, it is August in Florida, can you said HUMID?😲

• Like 1

Another "yes" on those floating shelves!  Looks right in line with the rest of the stove setup.  I do like the tiles - usually I'm a tile hater, but it's the counter tiles that I can't stand (had the now-ex promise to take them OUT of my old kitchen within 6 months of buying the house we had).  Those subway tiles on the wall are nice.  I see the countertops are a dark color - what material?

Yes, we get hot up here.  When I moved here in 1988, we stayed usually in upper 70s/low 80s most of the summer, with maybe one week or so in August that got in the upper 80s.  So. most "normal folk" houses didn't put in A/C, but did ceiling fans.  But, in the past couple of years that has changed.   As some say, well, at least it's a dry heat 😉   And, geologically, the Salt Lake Valley is considered a high desert.  So, it gets in the 100s quite a bit in the summer.  At least in the Winter, it doesn't feel as cold as the thermometer says, at least to me.  The low humidity keeps that biting cold away and gives us our dry, fluffy powder snow that people pay tens of thousands of dollars to bring they family to ski for a week.  

Oh - Garnet Hill is having another Eileen Fisher sale right now.  The stretch crepe and ponte pants are on sale, as is my favorite pleated wool dress.  

I was a bad girl last night.  I had a serious hankering for pizza.  I ordered from my favorite spot my favorite pizza they have: light alfredo, ricotta, mozzarella, provolone and then drizzled with a balsamic reduction.  They only have one size: HUGE.  So, I have pizza for 4 more meals!!  And, I also got a nice house salad for the veggies.  After 2 "meh" dinners, I just had to take a chance on a known quantity for dinner.  

• Like 1

A good amount of the pieces I have for formalwear have come from Stein Mart even though I have to drive about an hour (to the ‘big city’!!) to get there.

We’ll be in the city tomorrow to have the car serviced so I think an additional stop is in order since they have 30% off for their going out of business sale,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning girls🙂 Debbie, love your shelves!  Looks like you have a big stove!

We have some news for anyone that likes/shops at Stein Mart.  They are filing bankruptcy and will be closing

nearly 300 stores (I think that was the number).  The home office is here and I live near 3 stores.  I should probably

go over and and see what kind of sales they are having.  They always have  good sales and in this case, I am

sure they will be even better.  I don't do much clothes shopping at all anymore but may check it out anyway.

Weather? Well, it is August in Florida, can you said HUMID?😲

don't have a Stein Mart anywhere near here.  I did see one once down in Phoenix.  Are they like a department store or just clothes? Are they better than TJ Maxx?  I swear, the TJ Maxx up here (a mile from my house) never has anything that I would want to buy.  I keep thinking I'm going to find something because everyone always says they get good things but, alas, not me.  Maybe my TJ Maxx doesn't get the "good stuff".  

No red flag day today!  Only up to 80 and 15% humidity.  This is more normal.  BUT,  starting Sunday, we've got 5 days of temps from 90 to 95!!!   So, I will apologize in advance if I sound really mean and cranky and nasty next week.  It's going to be interesting.  I may even have to break my self-imposed ban and find somewhere indoors that has A/C!!!

OOTD:  today is the white hoodie minidress.  Not going anywhere. 

• Like 1

Melody, great A1C number!  Sorry about the kidney infection and hope your back will be ok.

Kat, Stein Mart is different than TJ MAXX.......they do have more than clothing but in my opinion, Stein Mart is

a nicer store. 

I have some country style boneless ribs in the oven.  I put a bunch of spices on them---put them in at 300, covered

them in foil.  Just took the foil off and put some honey along with Teriyaki Marinade on them.........these are pork

ribs, quite lean.  They will cook for another 30 minutes or so (total 90 minutes).  60 covered, 30 uncovered.   Should

be really good🙂

I do not have any luck getting clothes at Stein mart or TJ Maxx . I do buy odds and ends there . Have not been in either for awhile . Pier one is going out of business . I went once but very few mark downs so I think I may stop in again next week . I have my eye on some stems and a vase that would look perfect on my coffee table . Today I am in home clothes just black old yoga pants and an over sized tee . I stayed up too late binging Nurse Jackie .

• Like 1

Melody - I wish I could get my A1C that low.  I have to go see my NP in 2 weeks to see if the Jardiance helped.  Given that I've been boredom eating during the pandemic, I'm going to say It's going to be about 9.  

I don't eat cauliflower all that often, so I'm not worried about all the extra carb.  If I use it as my main course, it's OK.  I just happened to have the "tots" in the freezer and I was NOT in the mood to go get anything.  The Green Giant mashed cauliflower with cheddar and bacon is 6grams per serving, 4 servings, so if I eat half the things, it's only 12 grams, 24 if I'm lazy and call the whole thing my main course.  It's the breaded stuff and the cauliflower pizzas that are loaded. 

My Pier One closed up around late February/early March.  We were a little sad at work because we used it for some of our Christmas Ornaments last year.  Between it,  Crate & Barrel and Restoration Hardware, we blew $1000 on 2 artificial trees, ornaments and lights.  When the HOA gives you a good budget, you spend the budget!!  

Love the "Ram"!  At least she was well masked...   

• Like 1

Good morning, we have a Pier 1 near me as well with a BIG SIGN in the window about closing.  I used to shop there

quite often but not lately. Maybe I need to pop over and see what they are offering.  I know I have some dishes from

them I bought a long time ago.  It was sort of mix and match.  I use a medium sized square one with a floral design

for sandwiches and things. It looks like they were hand painted. 

I have a 3 month Dr appt on Tuesday with my GP.....wow, it was May when I last saw him. I certainly hope my 

A1C looks in the good range as my glucose numbers here at home have been looking good almost every day!  There

might have been a day here or there where it went up but I know that is probably because of something I ate the

night before.   

Kat, let us know if you end up getting those tickets!

Sally, I like Stein Mart much more than TJ MAXX.   They have a higher quality product (in my view anyway)

and they actually have folks on the floor to help!  I do like TJ MAXX if looking for a new purse.  They usually have 

4/6 aisles of hanging bags.........alot!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Melody - I wish I could get my A1C that low.  I have to go see my NP in 2 weeks to see if the Jardiance helped.  Given that I've been boredom eating during the pandemic, I'm going to say It's going to be about 9.  

I don't eat cauliflower all that often, so I'm not worried about all the extra carb.  If I use it as my main course, it's OK.  I just happened to have the "tots" in the freezer and I was NOT in the mood to go get anything.  The Green Giant mashed cauliflower with cheddar and bacon is 6grams per serving, 4 servings, so if I eat half the things, it's only 12 grams, 24 if I'm lazy and call the whole thing my main course.  It's the breaded stuff and the cauliflower pizzas that are loaded. 

My Pier One closed up around late February/early March.  We were a little sad at work because we used it for some of our Christmas Ornaments last year.  Between it,  Crate & Barrel and Restoration Hardware, we blew $1000 on 2 artificial trees, ornaments and lights.  When the HOA gives you a good budget, you spend the budget!!  

Love the "Ram"!  At least she was well masked...   

They’ve submitted the video for approval. She lost 8 lbs as it was 94. Said she had the best time doing it

Well, it's the weekend again. I'm a bit jealous reading about everyone's adventures since it is still so hard to get out here. I have not set foot in either a restaurant or a store (other than drug/grocery) since February!!

@Debbie -- love, love, love the kitchen shelves. They look fantastic. I've been dithering over ordering some hand-made house numbers from Etsy for the front of my house that have some character. Funny -- the main reason for getting them is that delivery people never seem to be able to find our house.  Even though I have a mailbox out front, the numbers on it are pretty small and don't show up well.

@Kat -- tell me more about the Trader Joe's Kung Pao cauliflower -- that sounds right up my alley. Is it just the cauliflower with a spices, or is it in a sauce, or ....??  

Last week I ordered from Whole Foods but it was kind of a disappointment. It took the driver waaaay long to deliver and the refrigerated items were not very warm. I think the Sonoma chicken salad (next day's lunch) made me sick -- I tossed the rest.  Also, I tried their house-made black bean soup, but it was not good -- very bland, even after I added some hot sauce and topped with a bit of sour cream. I like my black bean soup more chunky -- this was very blended but was almost glue-y.  I can't recommend it at all. :classic_mellow:. On the plus side, I have discovered Whole Foods brand gelato... 👍

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well, it's the weekend again. I'm a bit jealous reading about everyone's adventures since it is still so hard to get out here. I have not set foot in either a restaurant or a store (other than drug/grocery) since February!!

@Debbie -- love, love, love the kitchen shelves. They look fantastic. I've been dithering over ordering some hand-made house numbers from Etsy for the front of my house that have some character. Funny -- the main reason for getting them is that delivery people never seem to be able to find our house.  Even though I have a mailbox out front, the numbers on it are pretty small and don't show up well.

@Kat -- tell me more about the Trader Joe's Kung Pao cauliflower -- that sounds right up my alley. Is it just the cauliflower with a spices, or is it in a sauce, or ....??  

Last week I ordered from Whole Foods but it was kind of a disappointment. It took the driver waaaay long to deliver and the refrigerated items were not very warm. I think the Sonoma chicken salad (next day's lunch) made me sick -- I tossed the rest.  Also, I tried their house-made black bean soup, but it was not good -- very bland, even after I added some hot sauce and topped with a bit of sour cream. I like my black bean soup more chunky -- this was very blended but was almost glue-y.  I can't recommend it at all. :classic_mellow:. On the plus side, I have discovered Whole Foods brand gelato... 👍

BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 tablespoon olive oil.

1 yellow onion.  ( i used any onion that I had.  Even a red onion)

1 carrot chopped. (I shredded one)

1 celery rib, chopped

1 small red bell pepper. chopped

4 cloves of minced garlic

60 OZ (4 cans) black beans, rinsed and drained. I used low sodium.

32 oz of chicken broth (I used low sodium)

1/2 tablespoon ground cumin.  You can use more or less to your taste.

1 bay leaf

1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (I did not use)

1 tablespoon fresh line juice

1/4 chopped cilantro

In a large pot, heat the oil and add onion, carrot, celery and red pepper.  Cook until vegies are tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook until soft.

2. Stir in the black bean (you might want to put some into a food processed with some of the broth to mash them to make the soup thicker, then add to the pot.  Add broth, cumin, oregano, bay leaf, and pepper.  cook on low for 25 minutes.  When done remove bay leaf. 

3. Stir in lime juice (if you want to use it)  top with cilantro.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think it's the sauce.  I just pour the whole pouch on and mix it up with the cauliflower.  I don't think there's anything on the cauliflower other than the "breading".  You could probably put anything you wanted on it.  

I do have to go to WF today - I'm basically out of everything but the odds and ends in the freezer.  Sorry your order wasn't up to snuff.  I had a Sonoma CS the other day (Monday) and it seemed that they forgot to mix in the sauce they use - I couldn't taste it,.  But, then, that was also when I thought my dinners were bland.   I like my black bean soup on the chunky side, too.  Gelato - I'm ambivalent about the WF one - the consistency is a tad weird for me.  I've become addicted to the Talenti gelatos.  The WF ones are packages to look like them, Talenti seems a bit more dense.  The Sea Salt Caramel is to die for.  

Definitely NOT looking forward to next week!  An Extreme Heat Warning has been issued.  Temps in the high 90s/low 100s for us.  I honestly cannot remember having one of those issued.  Red Flag, yes.  But this is a step above a Red Flag.  No place to hide from it.  

OOTD:  I think my Athleta Camo shirt and gray running skirt to go to Whole Foods.  Still in my sleep shirt now, but did put on running shorts to go with it.

Stay cool everyone!!!