for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Morning all.  It is a sad day here at the house.  I am beyond sad at the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  She was an absolute lioness on the Supreme Court.  She broke boundaries for women from the time she went to college until her last breath.  She could have lived to 100 and we still would have needed more time.  Her passing on Rosh Hashanah is special  - someone who passes on that date are known as people of great righteousness (if I took what my Jewish friend wrote).  She tried to stay as long as she could.  She can now rest in power.  May her memory be a blessing. 

To add to the sadness, it's a cool, gray, rainy, dreary day.  It's a day for cuddling up in my fleece, drink a glass of wine to Justice Ginsberg, and get through it.  

Totally different:  what was that third picture of with the burgers?  Looked intriguing. 

It was just my bun less burger with Swiss cheese on a slice of lettuce & dill pickles & tomato jam

Edited by awhfy

54 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi Ladies 🙂  so last night Earthquake...  basically right under us....Steve got knocked off the sofa & I, well I just freaked out....  usually I'm super cool about them but apparently I'm all tapped out for handling things.  Much better today,  & the wind has shifted so we have clean air finally 🙂   hope everyone has a great weekend.  

Hi Debbie, glad you are both ok......you are allowed to freak out you know..........these times can make us all crazy☹️

Glad you are feeling better today.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am really sorry about this.........when it comes to ageing parents, I think all the siblings should be on the same page.

So they think he is "good to drive"?

They think he is ok as long as he is in familiar areas for short trips.  I personally think they don’t want to do anything about his driving as they would need to be his chauffeur if he couldn’t drive.🙄

Sherri🙂

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Morning all.  It is a sad day here at the house.  I am beyond sad at the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  She was an absolute lioness on the Supreme Court.  She broke boundaries for women from the time she went to college until her last breath.  She could have lived to 100 and we still would have needed more time.  Her passing on Rosh Hashanah is special  - someone who passes on that date are known as people of great righteousness (if I took what my Jewish friend wrote).  She tried to stay as long as she could.  She can now rest in power.  May her memory be a blessing. 

To add to the sadness, it's a cool, gray, rainy, dreary day.  It's a day for cuddling up in my fleece, drink a glass of wine to Justice Ginsberg, and get through it.  

Totally different:  what was that third picture of with the burgers?  Looked intriguing. 

Everything you wrote about Ginsberg is spot on! It is a sad day for this country.

Sherri😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Sherri, tell him you’d like to drive down with him & have the one-on-one time with him. That’s more likely to be more palatable to him. Not drive him down, but drive with him  Or say to fly down

That is the kind of logic my brother used, told Dad it would be a little vacation for him before going back to teaching.  Even said he would stay a few days and they could play some golf together, Dad refused.

Sherri🙂

2 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi Ladies 🙂  so last night Earthquake...  basically right under us....Steve got knocked off the sofa & I, well I just freaked out....  usually I'm super cool about them but apparently I'm all tapped out for handling things.  Much better today,  & the wind has shifted so we have clean air finally 🙂   hope everyone has a great weekend.  

A friend who lives in OC said he had been thinking that all they needed to make 2020 even better was an earthquake!   Glad you are ok and breathing clean air😀

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

Sherri, this may sound hard but when we talked to my Dad we used the "what if" scenerio........what if by accident

he hit someone......and actually, if someone else hit him......or his grand children.   I guess it depends on how bad

you feel things are happening.

The thing with my Dad was he had actually gotten in accident and thank God nobody was seriously injured. 

3 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

We had our earthquake back on March 18, so I already had that one out of the way 😉  Not a usual occurrence up here at that magnitude (5.7) - we'll get little ones when a mine shifts.  With my nerves to close to the skin right now I probably would have freaked out, too.   We had some BIG winds overnight.  Some of the loudest I've heard.  I was surprised to look out this morning and not see things all over.  

for some reason, that burger just called to me.  Have no good burger places up here just the fast food joints.  Sigh.  I was thinking about going to my clean food spot and pick up some of their tacos.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

We had our earthquake back on March 18, so I already had that one out of the way 😉  Not a usual occurrence up here at that magnitude (5.7) - we'll get little ones when a mine shifts.  With my nerves to close to the skin right now I probably would have freaked out, too.   We had some BIG winds overnight.  Some of the loudest I've heard.  I was surprised to look out this morning and not see things all over.  

for some reason, that burger just called to me.  Have no good burger places up here just the fast food joints.  Sigh.  I was thinking about going to my clean food spot and pick up some of their tacos.  

Hi there, I didn't realize that you get earthquakes there...  5.7 is pretty big!  this was only a 4.5, but it was very shallow... & we're located on a liquificateon zone, so it felt much bigger....  

Burger wise, that burger that Melody posted looked sooo good!   We ended up making tacos :)   Have a good night :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi there, I didn't realize that you get earthquakes there...  5.7 is pretty big!  this was only a 4.5, but it was very shallow... & we're located on a liquificateon zone, so it felt much bigger....  

Burger wise, that burger that Melody posted looked sooo good!   We ended up making tacos 🙂   Have a good night 🙂

The Salt Lake Valley has the Wasatch Fault.  It really hadn't gone off like that in years.  Being in a valley surrounded by mountains, it reverberates, I guess.  Up here, we get occasional little hiccups from shifting in the old silver mines.  If you even notice it, it's like a tiny sonic boom.  The 5.7 shook me - it took me a moment to realize what was going on.  At least it was not first thing in the morning - I hated those in LA.  

I popped open the 19 Crimes Dark Red tonight.  It tasted like a Toscano to me - big red but dry on the end.  It's nice, but I think I like the regular Red to just drink as it has no dry finish (stays pretty fruity to the end).  

I did go to my clean food place, but I got the Hash Hash instead of the tacos: diced roasted sweet potato, pulled pork, horshradish sauce, pickled onions.  Sooooo good.  Next time I'll have to get the tacos. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cruzisme said:

Thank you, Anita for sharing. It does work!

I thought she was going to recommend dipping your glasses in dishwater (water with dish soap mixed in)!!!  An old diver/snorkeler/skier trick to keep googles from fogging.  😉  

Had another whirling issue in the middle of the night.  I was laying in bed, opened my eyes and the room was spinning.  Hating this!!!  I guess I have to see if I can get an appointment with maybe an ENT to see if I have an issue with the crystals in my ear.  That's the only thing I can think of that is causing this.  

Nothing going on today up here.  At least there is no wind or Red Flag warning for a change.  Up to maybe 70 today and keep rising as the week goes on, back to 78.  

Kat, ooh, I’ve had that vestibular torsion, totally miserable. There is a physical therapy that works (like a miracle), just make sure the pt is licensed For vestibular rehabilitation. It was instant relief.  

warm here but zero smoke

today is our son’s bday & our daughter’s first anniversary (they climbed another 14000’ Mountain to celebrate) 

4A702E32-93AE-4EF0-9CC1-45E4914F78B2.jpeg

985065CC-DAD0-4FA5-A657-609228028FFB.jpeg

B5E0D632-328F-48E3-A09E-3285336F310B.jpeg

• Like 1

Had another whirling issue in the middle of the night.  I was laying in bed, opened my eyes and the room was spinning.  Hating this!!!  I guess I have to see if I can get an appointment with maybe an ENT to see if I have an issue with the crystals in my ear.  That's the only thing I can think of that is causing this.  

The Epley maneuver is what a PT can do to reposition the crystals ---- once you've had it done you should be able to do it yourself if you need to do it again.   It does work.

• Like 1

I guess I need to get in touch with my old PT to see if she can fit me in this week.  Or, if she has an intern to do it.  She gave me an intern when I shattered my leg (he was going for his Doctorate in PT) and he worked me to death (I asked him to do it).  Got some nice new-to-the-dance therapies done.  He wrote his dissertation about me - he had a year's worth of work to write about!!

I've heard about the Epley Maneuver.  I wantd to try it.  Then, if it gets rid of the new sound in my ears (more of that "rush" sound when you're lightheaded) all the time, I'd be a happy couch surfer. 

I didn't want to watch news today (way too depressing), so I binge watched HGTV - just turned it on and let it play.  I'm now upgrading the iOS on my iPhone SE to the latest version and updating all the apps.  I have to be REALLY bored to do that!!!

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, 57redbird said:

The Epley maneuver is what a PT can do to reposition the crystals ---- once you've had it done you should be able to do it yourself if you need to do it again.   It does work.

That’s the name, Epley maneuver!  Thanks, could not remember it. 

Hi girls, got my flu shot this morning........quick and really easy.  My regular CVS offers them and I know the

pharmacist too.  So that is taken care of now!  I guess I hit the CVS at the right time---no customers were 

in the pharmacy area.

• Like 4

Hi Ladies :)  Happy Monday :)

Kat, I hope you can find some relief with PT for the vertigo, that  must be an awful feeling...  I looked at that Epley maneuver that  Melody & 57Redbird mentioned, & thought maybe a really good rollercoaster ride with a few loops would do the trick lol ;) but seriously, I hope you can get an appointment soon. 

Lois, I got my flu shot on Friday, I did the Flublok over 50 higher dose one, & other than a sore arm & slight headache, had no side effects :)  nice to have one less thing to worry about.   

I know a few of you were talking about decent, inexpensive wines,  our Trader Joes has had a couple of really, really good ones under $15...  my favorite so far has been their Platinum Reserve Petite Verdot Rutherford

IMG_0704.thumb.JPG.5d56b25a7ccbd55bd653f82bbe0fcd8a.JPG

it's $14.99 so it's more pricey than I would usually spend but for a tiny splurge, it's excellent.   Definitely needs to breathe for a couple of hours first :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lois R said:

I watched a lot of sports today!  I am a big fan and there was plenty of football on😃....it was definitely a nice change

from the news! 

I was only a football person when I was in college - you couldn't go to UCLA and not be excited by football.   It's fun in person, but I can't stand it on TV - too much talking and overanalyzing every little thing.  But, "Go Jags"!!!!  

For those who have "go bags", "hurricane bags" or "earthquake bags":  I highly recommend you buy some of the lights from MPOWERD.  They are solar or USB powered, so they will keep going.  I've got 2 of them.  One is the EMRG, which functions as a regular lantern and has red lights also for emergency flashing.  It flattens down to nothing (it's actually an inflatable)so easy to put in your bag or somewhre in the car.  I just got the Core; it's a hard plastic one that has a silicone flexi-tube attached so you can hang it, wrap on you bike, attach to your belt, bend it to sit on a table,  It's solar or USB powered.  Really good price point.  I'm impressed enough to recommend them.  Nice to have some inexpensive solar items!  

I did finally have the tacos last night.  Got one pork and one chicken, each one dressed differently.  What was unique was that instead of a tortilla, they used mini naans.  Really good!!  Had Vietnamese Summer Slaw as my side.  Fresh, with a little kick.  Yummy.

OOTD:  Had to go do some post office and drug store activity today, so it was cammo leggings and my gray "parts of the pig" long sleeve Tshirt.  I love the shirt!  It's from a local boutique italian deli here.  It has a picture of a pig all red colored and then has a red and a gray block,  the red saying "parts which are delicious", the gray saying "parts which are not delicious".  It's a fun shirt.  I wore my Balloon Safari Africa baseball hat - hadn't worn that for awhile.  

Have a good day!

• Like 2

Kat, your food sounds good😃

You know if there wasn't Covid, I would actually think about flying to DC to pay my respects to RBG.......they have been

releasing some of the funeral arrangements and she will be honored (as she should be) at the Supreme Court Building on Wed and Thursday for the public (from the outside).

I think she will lay in state for 3 days and then buried next week at Arlington.

In a normal Jewish Funeral we bury as quickly as possible but this is definitely a different kind of an event.

And we don't hold funerals on Saturday either.  From what I read it will be next week (private for the family).

Hi Lois,  I agree she should be given the highest honors,  I will watch on TV. :)

Kat, the tacos sound yummy, & your OOTD sounds cute...  I'm embarrassed to say I'm still in a sleep tee & boxer shorts ;)  but I did accomplish a lot today, did some deep cleaning, cleaned & organized fridge, pantry & one cupboard...  also gave bedroom a super deep cleaning....  will put on running clothes & go in about an hour :)

have a good night!

Well, I did some research on the Epley manuver yesterday since the PT office had no walk ins available.  I tried it on myself last night.  Man, I got some major whirlies when I did it!!!  But, I did like it said and just held on tight until they stopped then wait 60 seconds before going on to the next phase.  I haven't had the vertigo since, just a little quick dizziness!!  One article said to do this for 3 straight days, so I'll keep on.  Thanks for the info to allow me to look into it further and see that I could do it myself.  I always have the option of the PT if it doesn't totally get rid of it.  

I also would love to go to DC to pay my respects to RBG in person.  Basically, everything I've been able to do as a woman is due to her.  But, yes, COVID fears keep me home.  The best I can do is remember her and hope that her memory is a blessing to all.   I am going to do my own little "honor" of her on Halloween - black robe, crocheted white collar, pulled back hair with a black ribbon, and my vintage red Swarovski crystal dangle earrings (that I made), based on that beautiful photo of her.   I may still go for the fishnet gloves, but that's so far another $30 for a one-time thing.  We're having a little neighborhood Halloween, so I'll do it for that.  

did I say that I am so depressed that I can't watch news right now?  I made the switch to HGTV.  I actually do like it!  But, now I wish I had $200,000 so I could rennovate my house!  Well, maybe $300,00, given the prices to get things done up here.  $300,000 doesn't even buy a house around here - it didn't even back in 2009 when I bought my little 1500sq tract house.  But, it makes me want to do a Home Depot and an IKEA run - I am the queen of putting together furniture and chairs and cabinets!  But, I am absoutely horrible at painting.  

I went by the drug store yesterday to see the status of the high dose flu shots.  They didn't come in yet.  He has a "wait list" going of people, so I said to put me on it.  He said I was already on it at the top!!  THIS is why I go to this little pharmacy instead of Walgreens - they know and take care of their customers.  

Nothing on the schedule today, maybe a Home Depot run to pick up some dirt to put in the Luge pots so I can plant my pink flamingoes, little American Flags and my political sign.  Maybe some paint to paint the pots red, white, blue.  This would be a major project for me!   Have a good day all!

• Like 2