Doctor note.

21 hours ago, molly361 said:

For now it is still going to be required once they start up again.  There is notice to that effect on the Celebrity website not sure if it is on Royal's or not yet

Would you please post that link?  I haven’t seen it.

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Post 9/11 Security requirements changed on Open Loop Cruises.  One Cruise ID plus B-Cert fine, next time need Passport or Enhanced ID, after many yrs delay by Govt. Watched several couples turned away at Pier. Not exactly same but few turned up to Board Cruise last week, over 70 and no Dr Note. They were not allowed to board either... No Refund for any of these passengers

As this is the Royal Caribbean forum, are you implying it was Royal Caribbean that denied boarding to those over 70 for lack of doctor’s note?  That would be odd, as Royal Caribbean’s doctor’s note policy was actually implemented prior to the 28 day suspension.  Or was it a different cruise line?  Or were they turned away for a different reason (such as acute illness or chronic disease)?

And no, the situations are not the same.  The security requirements post 9/11 were discussed, legislated, announced, and even postponed, so people had plenty of warning.  The chronic disease screening for people of all ages and the request for doctor’s notes were last minute additions made by cruiselines; less informed passengers may have arrived not knowing about the change.  Evidently not all cruisers read CC; that’s how I know about those requirements.  RCI has not reached out to inform us, despite having an over 70 booked soon.

Edited by Starry Eyes

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

Would you please post that link?  I haven’t seen it.

It's on Celebrity's website under FAQ  it's also posted on one of these many threads here on CC but I don't know which one.  You could try the search function

Edited by molly361

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

As this is the Royal Caribbean forum, are you implying it was Royal Caribbean that denied boarding to those over 70 for lack of doctor’s note?  That would be odd, as Royal Caribbean’s doctor’s note policy was actually implemented prior to the 28 day suspension.  Or was it a different cruise line?  Or were they turned away for a different reason (such as acute illness or chronic disease)?

And no, the situations are not the same.  The security requirements post 9/11 were discussed, legislated, announced, and even postponed, so people had plenty of warning.  The chronic disease screening for people of all ages and the request for doctor’s notes were last minute additions made by cruiselines; less informed passengers may have arrived not knowing about the change.  Evidently not all cruisers read CC; that’s how I know about those requirements.  RCI has not reached out to inform us, despite having an over 70 booked soon.

Was Royal out of Texas where person was turned away without Dr's note. It was posted on here and yes before the 30 day suspension

39 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Was Royal out of Texas where person was turned away without Dr's note. It was posted on here and yes before the 30 day suspension

Here is the policy per the RCI website:

a.  Effective Monday, March 16, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verificationfrom a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.”

As you see, the doc note policy was planned to go into effect on 3/16, but RCI had, of course, suspended operations before then.  Odd then, if somebody was turned away for lack of a doc’s note.  Can you offer proof or is this just something you recall reading about one person on web?

There was a health policy for people of ALL ages that could have resulted in somebody being turned away due to health condition.  “b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer“.

Might that report have been underlying health related (age not an issue, doc note not an issue, but new above policy, instead)?  Guests were to be screened for that for a short time before suspension.  

On 3/19/2020 at 8:04 AM, Funky Fusion FoodsJ said:

It is not discriminatory.  There are already many instances where seniors are required medical clearance.  As an example some excursions (such as scuba diving) requires medical clearance for seniors.

On 3/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, molly361 said:

For now it is still going to be required once they start up again.  There is notice to that effect on the Celebrity website not sure if it is on Royal's or not yet

On 3/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, molly361 said:

Overweight people too

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Here is the policy per the RCI website:

a.  Effective Monday, March 16, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verificationfrom a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.”

As you see, the doc note policy was planned to go into effect on 3/16, but RCI had, of course, suspended operations before then.  Odd then, if somebody was turned away for lack of a doc’s note.  Can you offer proof or is this just something you recall reading about one person on web?

There was a health policy for people of ALL ages that could have resulted in somebody being turned away due to health condition.  “b. Effective Friday, March 13, boarding will be denied to any person with a severe, chronic medical condition, including those specified by the CDC. Guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying health issues that may prevent them from sailing, i.e.  chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer“.

Might that report have been underlying health related (age not an issue, doc note not an issue, but new above policy, instead)?  Guests were to be screened for that for a short time before suspension.  

Not sure exact thread, was on of the numerous Dr/Corona Threads. Poster was turned away that weekend, cant remember if was Sat or Sun... Miss Bob, was always good with info piping in by now and more importantly combining threads

Statistics for AZ released today:

Number infected up 50% since last Saturday. Doesn't look like the time to relax standards.

Of the total infected: 

Ages 18-40  37%

Ages 41-65  33%

Ages 65 (not 70) - and above  30%

To be fair and safe, according to these numbers, everybody should get a doctors slip.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not sure exact thread, was on of the numerous Dr/Corona Threads. Poster was turned away that weekend, cant remember if was Sat or Sun... Miss Bob, was always good with info piping in by now and more importantly combining threads

Well, perhaps the poster was refused under part b (health conditions) and (incorrectly) thought a doctor’s note would have solved the issue.  Or, since you cannot find it to re-reread it, perhaps you recall that post incorrectly.  Hard to believe the doctor’s note provision was enforced prematurely without a whole flurry of posts on CC.

33 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

It was on a thread in this forum but I believe it was a post copied from a Carnivsl forum involving someone cruising on Carnival.  At least that’s the one that I recall reading. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Statistics for AZ released today:

Number infected up 50% since last Saturday. Doesn't look like the time to relax standards.

Of the total infected: 

Ages 18-40  37%

Ages 41-65  33%

Ages 65 (not 70) - and above  30%

To be fair and safe, according to these numbers, everybody should get a doctors slip.

Why should everyone get a doctor’s slip?  234 confirmed cases from AZ population of 7.3 million.   Some States probably envy those numbers, though no doubt there will be more positives rolling in.  I hope the number stay reasonably low there.  KTAR news:”Federal and state officials have said an increased capacity to administer and process tests will result in a sharp increase in the rate of new cases in the coming days, so it’s unclear how much of the increase is due to spread of the virus and how much to the boost in testing.”

7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It was on a thread in this forum but I believe it was a post copied from a Carnivsl forum involving someone cruising on Carnival.  At least that’s the one that I recall reading. 

Ah, different cruise line... that would explain it.

Hypertension has also been added to the list of underlying conditions.  So if you take bp meds and are over 70, you can not cruise.  If the policy doesn't change, I will have to resort to land tours.  I'll wave to you from shore!  🙂 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, paula2051 said:

Hypertension has also been added to the list of underlying conditions.  So if you take bp meds and are over 70, you can not cruise.  If the policy doesn't change, I will have to resort to land tours.  I'll wave to you from shore!  🙂 

I have been on blood pressure meds since I was 38, family history. I will be 60 in December. I was coughing today and said to my wife I hope I'm not getting Corona. She reminded me that my dry cough has been annoying her for 20 yrs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/22/2020 at 1:51 PM, gadaboutgal said:

Looking at what Royal has posted on their website, the health precautions are temporary and will be reviewed on a daily basis; so perhaps they will not require the doctor's letter after they start cruising again.

"These temporary safety precautions will remain in place for a projected period of 30 days and will continued to be reviewed daily. Updates will be posted daily on this website.

Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean International fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols..."     🤔 All we can do is hope!!

I agree -- I hope this virus will be under control and that the doctor's letter will not be required. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

So if you don’t die it’s meaningless? You can still spread the disease that could kill someone else.

As there is no practical way to test who is carrying the virus as you can be asymptomatic  I would assume that they are looking at their ability to care for elderly individuals who catch this who have a vastly greater risk of serious complications including death than those under 70 who have no underlying conditions.

Do not forget that Royal is also denying boarding to anyone regardless of age with chronic conditions granted that is up to the individual to declare and not subject to simply looking at ID as the age requirement is. 

2 hours ago, paula2051 said:

My brother was found to have high blood pressure (sky High) when he was being drafted back in 1966.  A week of testing followed in a local hospital with no cause found.  He was exempt from the draft and been on BP meds ever since, otherwise he is a very healthy and active 71 yo.  I’m sure that his Dr. would happily sign the form for him.

He and my DIL were on Enchantment in late February/early March.

• Like 1

My dad is over 70 and aside from timing, we may anyway have to cancel future cruises as he technically has a heart condition (controlled for over 15 years!).  Ideally Royal would just let the cruiser sign a waiver of liability. This is anyway what they are looking for, and cruisers should have insurance (and understand it). We would happily sign such a waiver. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, paula2051 said:

I am in my 70’s and have been on BP medication for 10 years. All of my friends and family in this age bracket are on these drugs as well. We all cruise often. If this restriction was ever put into play, a huge segment of the cruising population would be lost. I doubt highly if any cruise line would implement this. 

• Like 1

I promise, I am not trying to start anything.  I hope we find our way past this and there will be no restrictions on those of us over 70 going forward.  I just had my April 4th TA on Holland cancelled.  I could not accept the FCC because of the possibility of the doctors permission form being used.  I have a TA on Celebrity from Dublin to Boston in August.  I want to go...will they allow me?  I got a great price on a flight to Dublin, I just might not be returning on a cruise ship.  😞

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SwissMiss USA said:

My dad is over 70 and aside from timing, we may anyway have to cancel future cruises as he technically has a heart condition (controlled for over 15 years!).  Ideally Royal would just let the cruiser sign a waiver of liability. This is anyway what they are looking for, and cruisers should have insurance (and understand it). We would happily sign such a waiver. 

I hope that RCCL allows waivers of liability.  

• Like 1

I think Royal had better rethink this idiotic doctors note considering how many of their most loyal customers are over 70.  I have 15 cruises booked with Royal for the rest of this year, and have not started looking for 2021.  I am in perfect health, work out several times a week and do yoga..  Always take the stairs when I am on a ship. And walk a couple of miles a day.  But any responsible Doctor will not take on the liability of signing this letter. If Royal is worried about covering their asses, they could have each passenger sign a waiver, like the old health forms we used to have to sign whenever we boarded a ship.  I certainly hope that I do not have to cancel my 15 cruises.  Royal is already suffering financial difficulties.  If everyone over 70 is forced to cancel because Doctors won't sign these letters, it will be another loss for Royal.

• Like 4