How are the Swans doing 2020

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Cut them again, however, other professional sports can manage to play 2 full games a week for 41 weeks in a row (Soccer in Europe) so don't know why Aussie athletes cannot.

Soccer is nowhere near as physically demanding as AFL.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

Have a listen to this interview on radio with the Minister Hunt. Very interesting on how the decision to play was made.

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/health-minister-greg-hunt-on-consulting-the-afl-to-play-this-weekend-158290

This was interesting. Has it helped morale? And, can't you guys watch the games on TV? I saw a blurb in a newspaper here that AFL footy was still being played but no mention of any TV coverage here. I will have to look. And hope it will be on at a time when I can be awake to watch. Maybe we can get replay!

Fingers crossed the players all stay healthy.

Go Swans!

Good thinking to shorten the quarters and play 2 games a week, for as long as they can. Are there any odds being offered on when the season gets suspended?? I don't remember seeing betting spots in Sydney like we did in London--do you have them?

Go Swans!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

This was interesting. Has it helped morale? And, can't you guys watch the games on TV? I saw a blurb in a newspaper here that AFL footy was still being played but no mention of any TV coverage here. I will have to look. And hope it will be on at a time when I can be awake to watch. Maybe we can get replay!

Fingers crossed the players all stay healthy.

Go Swans!

Only some games are televised, you need to have pay TV for all of them

4 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Good thinking to shorten the quarters and play 2 games a week, for as long as they can. Are there any odds being offered on when the season gets suspended?? I don't remember seeing betting spots in Sydney like we did in London--do you have them?

Go Swans!

I'm sure there are odds being offered for when the season is suspended. Sports betting is pretty big here - online mainly. Most betting agencies have come from the UK I think.

Leigh

6 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I'm sure there are odds being offered for when the season is suspended. Sports betting is pretty big here - online mainly. Most betting agencies have come from the UK I think.

Leigh

They are the reason why the games are still going. It is solid revenue for the government at 15% of all takings, it is the cash cow that replaced smoking revenue.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Says someone who has never seen the comparisons between sports.

time wise it is 80 mins for AFL and NRL vs 90 mins for Soccer.

Actually, AFL is more like 120 minutes, as the clock stops whenever the ball is out of play. Quarters are 20 minutes plus time on, which usually equates to around 30 minutes in total. 

Soccer involves a lot less running, and as a non-contact sport is far less physically gruelling to the players. 

G'day all, Friday night's game was a tad uninspiring in terms of atmosphere.  Carlton did exceptionally well given their placing last season and coming up against the Premiers. 

The Eagles are playing tomorrow and irrespective of atmosphere, I'll watch.  I'm wondering though, we have 3 memberships which together cost us in excess of $2k per season.  Part of this cost is a reserved seat at home games.  If we can't take our seats at Optus Stadium because of the current climate, wouldn't it be normal to expect a reimbursement of this portion of the membership package?  Putting it out there to gauge opinion, don't want to raise it with the Club if I'm being unreasonable. 

Waddayathink?

11 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

G'day all, Friday night's game was a tad uninspiring in terms of atmosphere.  Carlton did exceptionally well given their placing last season and coming up against the Premiers. 

The Eagles are playing tomorrow and irrespective of atmosphere, I'll watch.  I'm wondering though, we have 3 memberships which together cost us in excess of $2k per season.  Part of this cost is a reserved seat at home games.  If we can't take our seats at Optus Stadium because of the current climate, wouldn't it be normal to expect a reimbursement of this portion of the membership package?  Putting it out there to gauge opinion, don't want to raise it with the Club if I'm being unreasonable. 

Waddayathink?

This has been discussed on the Saints fans fb page. My opinion is that one of the main reasons you buy a membership is to support your club. Now, I understand that that motivation might vary depending on which club it is* but I still think it's a major consideration. I wouldn't dream of asking for a partial refund of my reserved seat membership for that reason. I understood very early on with this out-of-this-world event that is the virus that every single one of us is going to take a hit, financially as well as personally, so I think it's important to support the businesses and clubs that you would normally to help them to survive (as much as any of us will be able to given we'll all have less income).

*by which I mean that some clubs might be closer to financial annihilation than others and have less success and the fans just hang in there to keep them going

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

Actually, AFL is more like 120 minutes, as the clock stops whenever the ball is out of play. Quarters are 20 minutes plus time on, which usually equates to around 30 minutes in total. 

However, they are making the games shorter so problem fixed.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Waddayathink?

Definitely ask for some of your money back, as you didn't get what was supposed to be provided.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

However, they are making the games shorter so problem fixed.

Games are still around 100 minutes, down from 120, and at a much higher intensity level than your average game of soccer.  I'd suggest that even the shortened version of the game would be 60-70% more physically intense than a game of soccer.

1 hour ago, Vader1111 said:

Games are still around 100 minutes, down from 120, and at a much higher intensity level than your average game of soccer.  I'd suggest that even the shortened version of the game would be 60-70% more physically intense than a game of soccer.

I think your suggestions are way off. Perhaps, you may not have watched any professional soccer (especially European) for some time.

8 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

They are the reason why the games are still going. It is solid revenue for the government at 15% of all takings, it is the cash cow that replaced smoking revenue.

How very American of you!! 😉  Maybe it's worth putting a fiver on this?

(Full disclosure-- I have no idea if there is such a thing as "a fiver" in Australia. I think I've heard that expression used in London. But I am probably wrong.)

Just now, NoWhiners said:

How very American of you!! 😉  Maybe it's worth putting a fiver on this?

(Full disclosure-- I have no idea if there is such a thing as "a fiver" in Australia. I think I've heard that expression used in London. But I am probably wrong.)

We have $5 notes as well. 

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

I think your suggestions are way off. Perhaps, you may not have watched any professional soccer (especilally European) for some time.

As far as I am concerned, both seem quite exhausting. But, my best athletic days are waaay behind me. They both seem very physical but the acting of soccer players must drain some energy from them? 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We have $5 notes as well. 

Ah, good. I seem to be forgetting much of what I learned on our trip down under.

I think that means we will have to return? Can there be any other explanation?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

As far as I am concerned, both seem quite exhausting. But, my best athletic days are waaay behind me. They both seem very physical but the acting of soccer players must drain some energy from them? 😁

Yes, the rolling around can use muscles not usually used by other football codes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NoWhiners said:

Ah, good. I seem to be forgetting much of what I learned on our trip down under.

I think that means we will have to return? Can there be any other explanation?

Great idea, just wait a year.

Just watched the Bombers win against Freo in a nail biter. 

As far as memberships go, my husband and I both have reserved seat ones for our respective teams as do our our children and grandchildren. I’m not fussed whether I get a refund or not. But my daughter thinks we should. My son and and I both have MCC memberships as well. So a fair bit of money being paid out. 

Leigh

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Great idea, just wait a year.

Yes, excellent point. 

On a related note, I was surprised to read that Aussies are also having trouble acquiring toilet paper. I thought it was just the US that was hoarding something that won't help any of the symptoms of the virus. I do feel better now.

A high point of my day today was shopping during senior hours and they were handing out large packages of TP as we entered. I took one since I haven't even seem TP for 2 weeks in any store. I feel much better for some reason now....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Just watched the Bombers win against Freo in a nail biter. 

As far as memberships go, my husband and I both have reserved seat ones for our respective teams as do our our children and grandchildren. I’m not fussed whether I get a refund or not. But my daughter thinks we should. My son and and I both have MCC memberships as well. So a fair bit of money being paid out. 

Leigh

I just saw a TV listing that shows the Crows are playing the Swans in about 20 minutes. I am going to try and watch! So excited.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Yes, excellent point. 

On a related note, I was surprised to read that Aussies are also having trouble acquiring toilet paper. I thought it was just the US that was hoarding something that won't help any of the symptoms of the virus. I do feel better now.

A high point of my day today was shopping during senior hours and they were handing out large packages of TP as we entered. I took one since I haven't even seem TP for 2 weeks in any store. I feel much better for some reason now....

Some people are beyond comprehension with they way they behave.