FCC Calculations - Wrong Amount

nikkosan

Hi everyone,

Tried to look for something similar, but couldn't find it.

I just received an email concerning the FCC for our canceled cruise on the 3/14 voyage on the Star.

The email states that the total FCC is $1,332.41, and I'm incredibly confused about the math!

Even assuming my traveling companion (husband) receives another FCC in the same amount, this is not even close to the original amount that was paid: $3,664.82, which includes $500 in CruiseNext Deposits (2 x 250), $1,282.41 per person in between cruise fare and taxes ($583.36 Admin Fee + $699.05 Gov Tax/ Port Exp / Fees), and a $550 per person cabin upgrade.

Could anyone kindly help me understand how they could have possibly arrived at that figure when their "Peace of Mind" policy clearly states the following?

The following will be applied to the FCC: Cruise fare and taxes Including any winning Upgrade Advantage payments. (Source: https://www.ncl.com/jp/en/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence#faq1-13-answer)

NCL Folio.png

NCL Email.png

Received two emails detailing FCC for our departure 3/14, which we cancelled under their Peace of Mind Guarantee.  There were four of us due to sail, and so far I have only received emails for my two kids, and each of those emails reflects a FCC amount that is nowhere near what we paid for their fares.  The amounts are actually overstated by about 20%.  I can’t make the math work, despite going back through my booking details several times.  I guess I will have to wait and see what numbers are in the emails for my wife and I.

• Like 1

Interesting!  My first thought is that they won't give full credit for Cruise Next Certificates as their net cost was half price. 

Did they return those CN certificates to your accounts?  

Of course, that $500 of CN doesn't account for all of the discrepancy

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WeCruiseEveryDay said:

Yep.  I just got the same thing.  I got one for each of the 4 passengers in our cabin.  It totals about 33% of the amount I paid.

Even so, why am I getting FCC????  The cruise was cancelled and did not sail.  They should be doing refunds at this point.

Did you cancel or did you wait until they cancelled the cruise?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WeCruiseEveryDay said:

Yep.  I just got the same thing.  I got one for each of the 4 passengers in our cabin.  It totals about 33% of the amount I paid.

Even so, why am I getting FCC????  The cruise was cancelled and did not sail.  They should be doing refunds at this point.

Thanks for chiming in...!

We just received the other email, and THAT one is for the correct amount $1,832.41, which, times two, gives us $3,664.82. At this point I'm thinking someone actually typed the incorrect amount (incorrect $1,332.41 vs correct $1,832.41), or ***EDIT*** maybe it's because we're going to get the CruiseNext Deposits back in the form of CruiseNext Deposits (that actually may make sense).

I won't be calling them now, because I don't need the extra aggravation (sheltering in place and watching CNBC is enough!), but I will call when this will, hopefully, die down.

Hope you can get yours sorted out too!

Edited by nikkosan

1 minute ago, nikkosan said:

We just received the other email, and THAT one is for the correct amount $1,832.41, which, times two, gives us $3,664.82. At this point I'm thinking someone actually typed the incorrect amount (incorrect $1,332.41 vs correct $1,832.41).

I won't be calling them now, because I don't need the extra aggravation (sheltering in place and watching CNBC is enough!), but I will call when this will, hopefully, die down.

Since the difference is $500 it has to be the Cruise Next certs.  They may reissue the certs to you.  

• Like 2

Just now, Liljo22 said:

Since the difference is $500 it has to be the Cruise Next certs.  They may reissue the certs to you.  

Yup, that's probably it. I was just editing my reply, when I realized that's the magic number. 

It would be nice if they mentioned that.

7 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

Did you cancel or did you wait until they cancelled the cruise?  

Cancelled  during Peace of Mind.  Since the cruise did not sail, I doubt they could say I cancelled and only Get FCC .  

Edit: Of course they could say whatever.  Mine is not a CN

Edited by WeCruiseEveryDay

2 minutes ago, WeCruiseEveryDay said:

Cancelled  during Peace of Mind.  Since the cruise did not sail, I doubt they could say I cancelled and only Get FCC .  

Edit: Of course they could say whatever.  Mine is not a CN

At the time you cancelled, they were only offering FCC.  Unless NCL has a change of heart, you will only the FCC.  

5 minutes ago, nikkosan said:

We just received the other email, and THAT one is for the correct amount $1,832.41, which, times two, gives us $3,664.82. At this point I'm thinking someone actually typed the incorrect amount (incorrect $1,332.41 vs correct $1,832.41).

I think what has happened is one will be for 1832.41 and the other is correct at 1332.41 which is [1832.41-500 (for cruise next certificates, which hopefully will be returned to your account)=1332.41]

My emails were similar, one was not what I had expected, but when I subtracted the amount of our cruise next certificates, that is what was totalled.  I am now waiting for the cruisenext certificates to be added back to me account.  I hope this makes sense, it does in my head, lol

• Like 1

Just now, Heavy's wife said:

I think what has happened is one will be for 1832.41 and the other is correct at 1332.41 which is [1832.41-500 (for cruise next certificates, which hopefully will be returned to your account)=1332.41]

My emails were similar, one was not what I had expected, but when I subtracted the amount of our cruise next certificates, that is what was totalled.  I am now waiting for the cruisenext certificates to be added back to me account.  I hope this makes sense, it does in my head, lol

Yes, it makes perfect sense. It has to be THAT. Also, it makes sense that the CruiseNext certificates were subtracted from MY total as they were in MY name.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heavy's wife said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if they're giving you FCC for the CN Certificates, why would they also give you the CN certificates back?  Not trying to start an argument at all; I just want to understand if they begin cancelling June cruises (when I cruise).

--Michael

1 minute ago, numberguy said:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if they're giving you FCC for the CN Certificates, why would they also give you the CN certificates back?  Not trying to start an argument at all; I just want to understand if they begin cancelling June cruises (when I cruise).

--Michael

My FCC did not include my CN certificates.  My FCC was my total paid minus my CN certificates, which should be returned to my account soon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, numberguy said:

--Michael

Hey Michael,

I'll try to explain:

We received TWO separate emails, one for each Latitude Member. My FCC was $500 lower than my husband's, and that is because I was the one who originally purchased the CruiseNext certificates.

So to recap, my email stated: $1,332.41, his stated $1,832.41. The total is $500 shorts of what we "paid', and those $500 are the two CruiseNext Certificates which we're now guessing will be put back, in exactly that shape, in my Latitude Account.

Hope this clarifies and best of luck for those June cruises; I like to think we'll be back on the high seas by then!

• Like 3

Just rec'd the same type of email for the Dawn tpa>nyc end of this month.  To me, this is the important paragraph: 

The future cruise credit amount includes voyage fare (including any winning Upgrade Advantage); government taxes, prepaid service charges, beverage and/or dining gratuities (if part of Free at Sea promotion); Essentials Travel Protection; and any flights, hotel accommodations, cruise tour packages and shore excursions booked through Norwegian Cruise Line. It does not include the Platinum or Standard Insurance premium, if purchased. Please note that any amenities purchased including soda and water packages, bon voyage gifts, internet packages, photo purchases, air deviation charges and any beverage and/or dining outside of our Free At Sea promotion will be refunded and returned to the original form of payment.

The amount I'm receiving for my FCC works out exactly.  The only thing which is not included in my refund is the insurance which I purchased.  

31 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

The amount I'm receiving for my FCC works out exactly.  The only thing which is not included in my refund is the insurance which I purchased.  

Thanks! After receiving the second email and figuring out the missing amount, it does make sense.

Now we only need to hope we will actually have a chance to use the FCC, hoping NCL won't go under.

• Like 1

I hope they don't go under as well. I think they have enough investors and available funds to get them past this first hump, the next challenge, a longer period of no cruises, will be the test.  No one wants the cruise lines to go under, except those with a different agenda, of course. 

Keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oregonian123 said:

Hello, all.

Where should the Cruise Next Certificates show? I have looked at the various Latitudes pages and don't see anything there.

My FCC was also reduced by the Cruise Next Amount and I want to see if my $250 has been posted yet.

I think that/those will go back to your "My Coupons and Credits" section under "Account Overview".

I have 6 I haven't used yet, and I'm currently waiting to see these two from the cancelled cruise show up again, so hang on tight as well.

2020-03-19 (3).png

I have just received our FCC for our March 14, 2020 cruise. We met the Peace of mind scenario; however I am upset about the outcome.

The pandemic was officially declared by WHO on March 11, which is also the day that President Trump announced flight restrictions from Europe.

We cancelled on March 12 AM taking into account the flow of bad news, local and international. 

The cruise was cancelled by NCL on March 13. (Had we not cancelled, we would have learned about the cruise cancellation on our way to Hawaï.

The FCC issued by NCL was divided by passenger. In my case, it did not include the prepaid Internet.

Furthermore, we prepaid for shore excursions, for gratuities and for beverage gratuities taxes and fees,

I appreciate the FCC for the cabin cost. For this, I am thankful.

I am really upset that shore excursions cancelled more than 48 hours before the excursions are not seemingly refunded. ( I thought it was NCL policy, at the time of buying these excursions. It was the reason to use NCL excursions versus other private  provider). The cost of excursions seems to be included in FCC instead.

I am also upset that prepaid gratuities and gratuities in beverage package are not refunded. (Only included in FCC).

It would have been our first cruise with NCL and I was really looking forward to it. Strangely, we booked this cruise due to Celebrity cancelling our Asian cruise on February, for the same date. Celebrity refunded 100%.

In short, I expected a FCC for the basic cost of the cruise based on Peace of mind program. I am very disappointed that NCL is not refunding the rest, based on company policy at the time of purchase.

M trust in NCL is shattered.

56 minutes ago, nikkosan said:

I think that/those will go back to your "My Coupons and Credits" section under "Account Overview".

I have 6 I haven't used yet, and I'm currently waiting to see these two from the cancelled cruise show up again, so hang on tight as well.

2020-03-19 (3).png

Thank you. I will watch for it.

My PCC called this afternoon shortly after I asked that question and said the Cruise Next will be redeposited "soon". She also indicated that the Gratuities that I removed on March 8 would be credited back to my credit card but that there has been a "pause on refunds" for right now. She also told me about a new promotion for new bookings with 20% off through 2021. The  Peace of Mind Q and A has details on it.

We can't book another cruise right now because of the required Dr's Letter. I wonder how long that will be a requirement.   

18 minutes ago, oregonian123 said:

We can't book another cruise right now because of the required Dr's Letter. I wonder how long that will be a requirement.   

I wonder exactly the same thing, and we have a few cruises coming up! Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there, I guess! 

Stay safe!