US State Department Issues Global Level 4 Health Advisory - DO NOT TRAVEL

zelker

I think our country and others should adopt the hard line restrictions of Spain.  We have another home over there so I hear from friends. 

You cannot leave your home unless for a good reason and you have to prove it.  If you have a dog, you can walk it for what it has to do, but only 50metres from your home.  

One person in a car only.  No exceptions whatsoever.  (except to take someone to an airport to catch a flight out, paperwork needed)

Someone 2 days ago was fined 200euros for visiting the supermarket.  The Guardia Civil checked their shopping, they only had beer and crisps (chips I think it's called in US) in the bag.  That is an unnecessary journey and so they were fined. 

In the UK we are in lockdown but I think it will and should get more strict, although it is now slowly sinking in here.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mauzac said:

I think our country and others should adopt the hard line restrictions of Spain.  We have another home over there so I hear from friends. 

You cannot leave your home unless for a good reason and you have to prove it.  If you have a dog, you can walk it for what it has to do, but only 50metres from your home.  

One person in a car only.  No exceptions whatsoever.  (except to take someone to an airport to catch a flight out, paperwork needed)

Someone 2 days ago was fined 200euros for visiting the supermarket.  The Guardia Civil checked their shopping, they only had beer and crisps (chips I think it's called in US) in the bag.  That is an unnecessary journey and so they were fined. 

In the UK we are in lockdown but I think it will and should get more strict, although it is now slowly sinking in here.  

In our vast country only about half of the States have shelter in place policies and those are self controlled.

Better than nothing but certainly nothing like Wuhan or even Spain. We are paying the price.

• Like 1

Sadly what this whole sorry business has demonstrated to us how most of the population gets its news and information - facebook, twitter, instagram and sensationalist news channels. If anyone has read Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, hopefully those who are senselessly putting others at risk will receive vital information about the departure of the New Arks from the planet and create a new world somewhere else. 

Stay safe.

1. So Long and Thanks for all the Fish 
    On 3/27/2020 at 5:42 AM, BasandSyb said:

Sadly what this whole sorry business has demonstrated to us how most of the population gets its news and information - facebook, twitter, instagram and sensationalist news channels. If anyone has read Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, hopefully those who are senselessly putting others at risk will receive vital information about the departure of the New Arks from the planet and create a new world somewhere else. 

Stay safe.

I've read all 5 of the Douglas Adams trilogy, along with the "And Another Thing" tribute but that is nowhere as good. Have to agree w/ you.  Classics - my Favorite being "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish".. For those of us in the know who played in the kernel of the VMS operating system back in the '80's the "Hitch Hiker" meant knowing how things really worked.  (And Bruce Ellis) An appropriate reference BasandSyb.

In 1988 we were staying at Labuan Bajo, Flores, in Indonesia.  We were staying there in order to get to Komodo.  Staying with us at the same losmen (small hotel) was a BBC radio crew including Douglas Adams.  We had two entertaining dinners with them and I'll always be grateful to Adams for urging us not to stay on Komodo itself which was overrun with rats and snakes, quite apart from the dragons.  Adams went on to write Last Chance to See, about endangered species, which I urge everyone to read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BasandSyb said:

What a fabulous memory Fletcher. Thanks for sharing.

Stay safe and above all, remember:

DON’T PANIC! 

Indeed! I just wish I could remember where my towel is. (It would make a very good face mask.)

• Haha 1