Is this correct? Re: Cancellation/Refund

We have a cruise booked for June 19, 2020 for Ovation out of Seattle.  Until the Canadian ports closed, I was willing to stick it out with the Cruise with Confidence thing, but at this point, I just can't see how this cruise would happen.  Our final payment day is March 21.  We had a $750 non-refundable deposit and had paid $2,000 against the balance already.  When I called today to cancel, the person at first tried to give me the entire $2,750 as future cruise credit.  I nicely said that wasn't what I was looking for.  I was hoping for my $750 deposit to be future cruise credit and $2,000 refund.  The person told me that I would have a $100 per person penalty for canceling, so my FCC would be $450 (split between myself and the two members of my family), and I would get my $2,000 refund. I don't feel like I should have to have a $300 penalty for canceling at this point--I know they are going to have to cancel these cruises because of not being able to sail to a foreign port, but I don't want to have $5,000 tied up in future cruise credit.

Is what I describe other people's experience?  If I have to eat the $300, I will....but it doesn't feel great. 

Interesting. I went directly to their policy to quote chapter and verse about getting 100% FCC, and found it doesn't really say that. It says you will get "a Future Cruise Credit that can be applied to any future cruise departing in 2020 or 2021".

But it says nothing about 100%. 

In any event, I'd wait. Royal is being very conservative with their cancellations and putting out any information beyond April 10th. Because, frankly, they don't know yet. And they are trying to stay in business (and positioning themselves for deals with the government also). But I do see you have final payment coming up. Yes, that puts you in a pickle doesn't it.

Edited by publicpersona

28 minutes ago, LibrarianBecky said:

We have a cruise booked for June 19, 2020 for Ovation out of Seattle.  Until the Canadian ports closed, I was willing to stick it out with the Cruise with Confidence thing, but at this point, I just can't see how this cruise would happen.  Our final payment day is March 21.  We had a $750 non-refundable deposit and had paid $2,000 against the balance already.  When I called today to cancel, the person at first tried to give me the entire $2,750 as future cruise credit.  I nicely said that wasn't what I was looking for.  I was hoping for my $750 deposit to be future cruise credit and $2,000 refund.  The person told me that I would have a $100 per person penalty for canceling, so my FCC would be $450 (split between myself and the two members of my family), and I would get my $2,000 refund. I don't feel like I should have to have a $300 penalty for canceling at this point--I know they are going to have to cancel these cruises because of not being able to sail to a foreign port, but I don't want to have $5,000 tied up in future cruise credit.

Is what I describe other people's experience?  If I have to eat the $300, I will....but it doesn't feel great. 

That is correct as you can see below.  If you change the booking to another date they will waive the change fee but not if you cancel outright.

Q : How are Non-Refundable Deposit bookings impacted by this policy update?
A : Non-Refundable Deposit bookings sailing on-or-before July 31st, 2020 are eligible for the Cruise with Confidence Policy and follow the same guidelines.  Prior to the Final Payment deadline, guests with a Non-Refundable Deposit bookings that wish to change to a different ship or sail date can do so with no fee assessed - the change fee will be waived.

• Like 1

Don't feel bad, we changed a July 31st cruise to Alaska about 2 weeks before this all happened with the virus. We paid the $200 change fee. Had we waited 2 more weeks before switching cruises they would have waived the fee for us also.

Oh well............ win some you lose some. Just received a -$350 price adjustment on the cruise on the cruise we changed to though, so it's all good.

• Like 2

Thank you @Ourusualbeach !  My med cruise final pmt is Mon.  I’ve been holding out but time to make the tough decision for the family!  I am rebooking for next year ( price is Much higher 😡) and I hoped that I could just move my deposit to that booking without penalties.  Based on you posting looks like I can.  

good luck to all with your rebookings and cancellations... so sad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Don't feel bad, we changed a July 31st cruise to Alaska about 2 weeks before this all happened with the virus. We paid the $200 change fee. Had we waited 2 more weeks before switching cruises they would have waived the fee for us also.

Oh well............ win some you lose some. Just received a -$350 price adjustment on the cruise on the cruise we changed to though, so it's all good.

I just picked up a $580 drop per cabin on my July 2021 Alaska cruise on Ovation.  Looks like Royal dropped the prices right after they added Quantum also sailing from Seattle. 

So I called back this morning, with a cruise in 2022 chosen to move my deposit to.  I didn't even end up needing to do that.  The agent I spoke with gave me the full deposit $750 as a Future Cruise Credit without my even asking for it.  Refunded what we had already paid.  I'm not really a fan of "I didn't get the answer I wanted, so I'm going to call again until I do," but it seemed to work out in this case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LibrarianBecky said:

So I called back this morning, with a cruise in 2022 chosen to move my deposit to.  I didn't even end up needing to do that.  The agent I spoke with gave me the full deposit $750 as a Future Cruise Credit without my even asking for it.  Refunded what we had already paid.  I'm not really a fan of "I didn't get the answer I wanted, so I'm going to call again until I do," but it seemed to work out in this case.

I went ahead and made final payment on my April cruise so when RCCL cancelled my cruise I got a choice of a refund including my non refundable deposit OR 125% future cruise credit.  I opted for the refund since I also have a June cruise booked. I also made final payment on June cruise even though I am 100% certain that this cruise in Europe will also be cancelled and if offered will take the future cruise credit.  Sometimes it pays to be patient.

9 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

9 hours ago Ourusualbeach said:

I just picked up a $580 drop per cabin on my July 2021 Alaska cruise on Ovation.  Looks like Royal dropped the prices right after they added Quantum also sailing from Seattle. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimbo said:

When we canceled the RCCL cruise to Alaska, we then changed it to a RCCL Canada/Nw England Cruise sailing on September 24th 2020, that is the cruise we saw the  above price drop on.

When then decided to book a Princess Alaska Cruise for September 2021 to replace the July 2020 Alaska cruise, but we booked a Larger Suite Cabin  Category in which the Category is already sold out so very unlikley at this  time we will see any price drops on that one inless people cancel.

Edited by Jimbo