Ruby Princess arrival yesterday IMPORTANT

pmcl

Just now, BRANDEE said:

Yes we docked Thursday...I just rechecked my texts and emails..no contact from anyone.  After seeing it on the news we contacted our doctors as well as corona crisis center.  Without symptoms we can not get tested.  We were quarantining anyway but should have been notified.

That is a real worry.  I'm sorry you weren't contacted and agree  you should have been.  Does the cruise line have your correct contact details?  I will check for the email from the American passenger.

I hope you remain free from the virus.  I have self quarantined (over 70s and what they call ill health) since Friday indefinitely until a vaccine is available or the virus has stopped rapidly spreading around the world. 

PS I have a girlfriend in Monroe, NY who used to live in Manhattan, so I have visited many times.  In fact NY is my second favourite city. 

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

That is a real worry.  I'm sorry you weren't contacted and agree  you should have been.  Does the cruise line have your correct contact details?  I will check for the email from the American passenger.

I hope you remain free from the virus.  I have self quarantined (over 70s and what they call ill health) since Friday indefinitely until a vaccine is available or the virus has stopped rapidly spreading around the world. 

PS I have a girlfriend in Monroe, NY who used to live in Manhattan, so I have visited many times.  In fact NY is my second favourite city. 

Just checked the caller ID on home phone.  tonight at 6 pm New York time..(it is now 11:47 pm) there is a call with a 6 129 exchange.  Since I was on the phone I did not pick up the unknown call.  Could that be it?   But no call back or any other conatct.  Princess has our e mail addresses and cell phone numbers , too. Been home 24 hours.

Edited by BRANDEE

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The email is in this thread No. 28 from MFR who was emailed and phoned from NSW Health.  I'll see if I can find a contact number for you and you check the phone number with the one you didn't recognise nor pick up.

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The email is in this thread No. 28 from MFR who was emailed and phoned from NSW Health.  I'll see if I can find a contact number for you and you check the phone number with the one you didn't recognise nor pick up.

61 2 9391 9000 Phone number from outside Aus for NSW Health. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MFR said:

Disembarked from Ruby Thursday am, no health screening, bussed to Sydney Airport,  put on packed plane (~350 people--probably mostly Ruby passengers ) to San Francisco,  no health screening there, flown to Boston in almost empty plane, no screening there either.  Shocking! 

Received email and phone call from NSW health authorities advising us that some passengers on Ruby confirmed to have Covid-19; advised to contact health authorities at home.

When did you get the call..was it a 6 129 exchange? (got this call at 5pm NY time tonight but did not answer while on another call and did not recognize number..no caller name)  I also did not get any texts or e mails.  Was on the Quantas 73 to SFO and on an empty plane to JFK.

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

61 2 9391 9000 Phone number from outside Aus for NSW Health. 

Hope this helps. 

The call number I have is 6 129 112 8400.  Obviously from Australia...No call back.  Thanks..glad I found out myself from the news.  Now we just wait!

10 hours ago, MFR said:

I also don't understand why Princess seems to be having the most cases.  Maybe other cruise lines aren't reporting them?   Our steward said he had to "sanitize" the surfaces in our room every day.   The buffet was still self-serve and we didn't eat there.  As usual there were crowds in the theater, atrium, tour busses, etc.  No way to practice social distancing on a cruise ship. 

Not just Princess

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/world/coronavirus-news-usa-world.html#link-66bd4fa7

8 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

The call number I have is 6 129 112 8400.  Obviously from Australia...No call back.  Thanks..glad I found out myself from the news.  Now we just wait!

Hi Brandee, the form we had to fill out a few days before disembarking was from the Australian government and asked for our home phone number and email addresses.   The email came while we were en route between SF and Boston,  then we got the call around 1 am Friday morning shortly after we got home.  Caller ID said out of area and I  wouldn't have picked up except she started leaving a message so I realized it was important.   

Now we have a lot of anxiety about becoming sick and wish we'd never gone on the cruise.  I've had some mild symptoms off and on.  Our doctor's office said call if more severe symptoms and they will arrange for drive up testing,  which is by appointment only, so obviously they are reserving it for those who need it most. 

Good luck and stay well.

2 minutes ago, voljeep said:

not for Japan it wasn't … j/s

Respectfully disagree.  The virus multiplied to 700 passengers and Japan had to deal with that on disembarkation.  More than one died in a Japanese hospital, including a Canadian. 

Japan would have been far better off if the passengers disembarked and were allowed to go home immediately.  Confining the passengers was bad for all involved.

4 hours ago, MFR said:

Hi Brandee, the form we had to fill out a few days before disembarking was from the Australian government and asked for our home phone number and email addresses.   The email came while we were en route between SF and Boston,  then we got the call around 1 am Friday morning shortly after we got home.  Caller ID said out of area and I  wouldn't have picked up except she started leaving a message so I realized it was important.   

Now we have a lot of anxiety about becoming sick and wish we'd never gone on the cruise.  I've had some mild symptoms off and on.  Our doctor's office said call if more severe symptoms and they will arrange for drive up testing,  which is by appointment only, so obviously they are reserving it for those who need it most. 

Good luck and stay well.

Hi...well looks like we will be worrying for the next two weeks.  Neither my husband or I ever got an email.  We did get a call about 5 pm last night but did not answer the call waiting due to unknown number..no call back and still no email or text on cell phone.  Our traveling companion got an email yesterday but no call.  Anyway, our doctor advised not to use drive thru testing site due to contamination and inaccuracy (great)  and according to corona crisis hot line that we also called yesterday, we do not qualify for testing..me no symptoms at all and my husband a temp with no coughing.  They told him to monitor temp for three days and if over 101 for three days to call back.  Also, our lack of rest for the past three days does  not help the situation and not sure if feeling like crap is just being really tired and stressed.  Take care!

Edited by BRANDEE

9 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I would only blame Princess.....they had a poor record in handling disease on their ships in the past and made terrible errors in judgement this time too...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/03/20/before-coronavirus-princess-cruises-saw-outbreaks-alarming-rates/5047508002/

And the Ship's agent  and Sydney port authority and Australian Quarantine Service and Australian Border Force and Health Officials.  Monumental blunder by many agencies.

As a passenger on the Ruby Princess, I received this email from the NSW Health COVID-19 Response Team on the evening of March 19th, as we were travelling home (while on a layover at Dallas airport). It came from a user named “Bunker” (bunker@doh.health.nsw.gov.au), and an email filter might have considered it spam.

Dear Ruby Princess passenger,

We have been advised of several confirmed COVID-19 coronavirus cases on the Ruby Princess cruise ship. As you have been identified as a passenger on this ship, you are considered a close contact.

More information about being a close contact can be found at this link:

In line with advice you have been given, you need to remain in home isolation for 14 days from the day you disembarked (up to and including 02/04/20).

More information about home isolation can be found at this link:

For people still in Australia:

If you or your travelling companions develops symptoms, particularly fever, cough, shortness of breath it is important to call your GP or HealthDirect (1800 022 222) to organise assessment and testing for coronavirus. You may also present to your closest Emergency Department. In case of an emergency please call triple zero (000) and inform the ambulance service that you have been identified as a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case.

For people who are overseas:

Please contact your local public health authority and inform them you have been identified as a close contact. If you have symptoms as outlined above, please seek medical attention.

Further general information about coronavirus can be found at this link:

Please confirm that you have received this advice by sending a separate email to the following address indicating your name: moh-covid-contact@health.nsw.gov.au

Yours sincerely,

NSW Health COVID-19 Response Team

10 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

I would only blame Princess.....they had a poor record in handling disease on their ships in the past and made terrible errors in judgement this time too...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/03/20/before-coronavirus-princess-cruises-saw-outbreaks-alarming-rates/5047508002/

It is the New South Wales Health Department who is responsible for this debacle. They have admitted that they authorised the disembarkation of guests on the Ruby Princess because they judged that there was "low risk" of coronavirus. Not Princess' fault.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is the New South Wales Health Department who is responsible for this debacle. They have admitted that they authorised the disembarkation of guests on the Ruby Princess because they judged that there was "low risk" of coronavirus. Not Princess' fault.

I totally agree with you.  Princess would not have been allowed to dock the Ruby if the NSW Health Department did not give them the okay.   I personally feel Princess wanted us off before we became their problem and Australia wanted us out before we became their problem. Not once in three weeks did anyone take my temp..not at the airport or cruise port.  I was very surprised.

Edited by BRANDEE

10 hours ago, BRANDEE said:

Hi...well looks like we will be worrying for the next two weeks.  Neither my husband or I ever got an email.  We did get a call about 5 pm last night but did not answer the call waiting due to unknown number..no call back and still no email or text on cell phone. 

I don't intend to be rude, but  why would you not answer a phone call just because it's an unknown number?   You can't really complain about no contact when it's probable that they did contact you, or try to.   If you refuse to pick up unless you know who's calling, you're never going to hear from them.  You might also miss Ed McMahon calling to say you won the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes.  Well, except he's dead.  Although I guess that really would be a unknown number . . .

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

I totally agree with you.  Princess would not have been allowed to dock the Ruby if the NSW Health Department did not give them the okay.   I personally feel Princess wanted us off before we became their problem and Australia wanted us out before we became their problem. Not once in three weeks did anyone take my temp..not at the airport or cruise port.  I was very surprised.

Most of the passengers would have been Australians to I don't think Australia wanted you out before you became 'our' problem.

While you were on the ship, were you asked to report if you had an elevated temperature or had flu-like symptoms? Maybe they were expecting you all to be responsible adults and not have someone take your temperature every time you turned around. 🙂

53 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

I don't intend to be rude, but  why would you not answer a phone call just because it's an unknown number?   You can't really complain about no contact when it's probable that they did contact you, or try to.   If you refuse to pick up unless you know who's calling, you're never going to hear from them.  You might also miss Ed McMahon calling to say you won the Publisher's Clearing House sweepstakes.  Well, except he's dead.  Although I guess that really would be a unknown number . . .

Brandee now knows the phone call was from NSW Health, but didn't recognise it at the time.  With scam calls many people no longer answer phone calls when they don't recognise the phone number.  Pity they didn't leave message and send email as well.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruisingthomas said:

As a passenger on the Ruby Princess, I received this email from the NSW Health COVID-19 Response Team on the evening of March 19th, as we were travelling home (while on a layover at Dallas airport). It came from a user named “Bunker” (bunker@doh.health.nsw.gov.au), and an email filter might have considered it spam.

Dear Ruby Princess passenger,

We have been advised of several confirmed COVID-19 coronavirus cases on the Ruby Princess cruise ship. As you have been identified as a passenger on this ship, you are considered a close contact.

More information about being a close contact can be found at this link:

In line with advice you have been given, you need to remain in home isolation for 14 days from the day you disembarked (up to and including 02/04/20).

More information about home isolation can be found at this link:

For people still in Australia:

If you or your travelling companions develops symptoms, particularly fever, cough, shortness of breath it is important to call your GP or HealthDirect (1800 022 222) to organise assessment and testing for coronavirus. You may also present to your closest Emergency Department. In case of an emergency please call triple zero (000) and inform the ambulance service that you have been identified as a close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case.

For people who are overseas:

Please contact your local public health authority and inform them you have been identified as a close contact. If you have symptoms as outlined above, please seek medical attention.

Further general information about coronavirus can be found at this link:

Please confirm that you have received this advice by sending a separate email to the following address indicating your name: moh-covid-contact@health.nsw.gov.au

Yours sincerely,

NSW Health COVID-19 Response Team

"Bunker" can be Aussie slang for a group of people put in a bunker to handle a particular emergency.  Or after a change of government, people from the previous government are put in a "bunker" out of the way, so members of the new political party can shift in.  Bunker is a defensive military notification designed to protect people.  You can take your pick.

I'm pleased you received the email and hope you remain virus free. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Most of the passengers would have been Australians to I don't think Australia wanted you out before you became 'our' problem.

While you were on the ship, were you asked to report if you had an elevated temperature or had flu-like symptoms? Maybe they were expecting you all to be responsible adults and not have someone take your temperature every time you turned around. 🙂

We were delayed 7 hours boarding this cruise due to a health problem on previous cruise, so yes I expected temp taking while boarding to protect me.  Two days before we returned early..an announcement for anyone with temp or flu like symptoms to report to doctors was given.  I would hope that any responsible adult would do so.  I was just very surprised that the Australian Health officials did not take our temps before getting off to protect the Australian population.  I was given pre boarding information a week ahead that indicated that we would be tested..so surprise.  Not trying to insult your country, but did feel like..get off the boat and out of the country asap!

Edited by BRANDEE

1 hour ago, rdsqrl said:

I guess you answer all calls regardless of caller ID.  I ignore spam calls..which unfortunately come at a rate of four plus a day.  If I was not already on another important call, the message would have started to go on my answering machine and of course, I would have picked up. Not expecting a call from Australia and never have gotten one before..the number looked just like another spam call.  A recall should have been made. And Ed McMahon has never called because PCH shows up on caller ID, but the IRS and CIA are coming to arrest me for fraud..at least 10 times now.  Also, I never got an email.

Edited by BRANDEE

Ruby Princess passenger - a 71 year old woman, infected with the corona virus, has died.  107 diagnosed cases from Ruby Princess.  

ABC News

Sad for the lady's family.  It has been a bad news day Down Under, with the number of cases of the virus increasing exponentially.  (The majority of recent cases are from cruise ships.)

• Like 1