Urgent - Ruby Princess 3 people infected - Urgent Tracking of Passengers

26 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I watched that last night. He was on the Solstice.  Can't stand the woman who delivers the news. Her voice tone is horrible. The one that did the interview with the children much better.

Which woman who delivers the news?

Which woman who interviewed which children?

Maybe we are talking about different interviews.

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Which woman who delivers the news?

Which woman who interviewed which children?

Maybe we are talking about different interviews.

There were two last night. I don't know there names. I don't watch ABC a lot. I probably won't continue because I don't like the womans delivery style. 

Edited by icat2000

4 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I think the news presenter depends on which State you're in. But Leigh Sales presents 7.30 (almost always, I think) - has red-ish hair.

Wasn't Leigh Sales. This women start at 7 pm. I'm in Victoria (regional), I'm trying to find out who it was so I can avoid. 

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Absolutely agree. And so far Viking have been stellar! They cancelled cruises preemptively saving passengers a lot of stress for the next few months. 

Viking is impressive.  They are actually building small ships, when everyone was saying small ships were finished.  We'll see which line was smarter now.  I'd rather cruise less often on a small ship, with a promenade deck, and be able to visit small ports where the number of passengers don't outnumber the locals.  The NSW Govt has just shut Bondi Beach because visitors couldn't keep the numbers to under 500 and Bondi Beach is huge!

Edited by MMDown Under

19 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Wasn't Leigh Sales. This women start at 7 pm. I'm in Victoria (regional), I'm trying to find out who it was so I can avoid. 

Don't worry, regional ABC have different reporters to Qld. Only national shows have the same reporter, like the talented Leigh Sales.  I have her book, Any Ordinary Day, in front of me.  She was a guest at Woodford Folk Festival.  I love Virginia Trioli ? who has left Breakfast News on TV (sob sob) for Vic radio.  I love her weekend reads.  She is one of the smartest people on TV, and there are lots of smart people on TV.

Edited by MMDown Under

23 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Police should get their quota on the roads from Canberra to the South Coast before Easter/school holidays. 

Good idea to isolate over Easter.  We walk the dogs before 6 which is too early for holidaymakers at the beach, except surfers who leave the beach to us.  The child within was disappointed I didn't buy any Easter Eggs in my big shop, however my daughter said she has some. So all is well.  I'm sure hot cross buns will still be on sale when this is all over!

No such thing as 'Quotas.'  They are called 'Target Figures' these days, believe me, same flavour.👮‍♂️

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

No such thing as 'Quotas.'  They are called 'Target Figures' these days, believe me, same flavour.👮‍♂️

True. Because it's only a target it sounds like it's not a required number from above. But if they haven't met their "target" questions come down from above in any case...

9 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

True. Because it's only a target it sounds like it's not a required number from above. But if they haven't met their "target" questions come down from above in any case...

True, in my previous life 67-03, often questions were often asked at different levels of command as to why 'targets were not being met.' 👮‍♂️  One of my favourite sayings was 'It is not a numbers game, but it is a numbers game.'😱

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2020/04/02/ruby-princess-coronavirus-inadequate-docking/?utm_campaign=Covid19Watch&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

First article I've seen documenting the disembarkation of a very ill passenger (who later died) at 2.30am. 

I see at the bottom of the article the dates that the four cruise ships arrived in Sydney was exactly two weeks ago. I expect we'll see a spike in cases in NSW (at least) from the passengers' departure from the ships and dispersal out into the community, infecting people as they travelled through Sydney to homes, or airports or wherever.

I was very annoyed to read in this morning's SMH that Gladys Berejiklian is now claiming that "staff aboard the Ruby Princess cruise ship may have misled state health representatives about the extent of illness among passengers".

She's obviously never been on a cruise, with all those inconsiderate passengers who think nothing of roaming the ship while coughing all over other passengers, or coughing into their hands then touching everything in sight, or claiming that their vomiting/diarrhea is just a touch of sea sickness not norovirus, and who wouldn't think of reporting their illness to the medical centre.

And that doesn't include those people who were coming down with an illness, had yet to show symptoms but were still contagious.

The ship can only report the illnesses it knows about. The NSW government needs to accept a mistake was made and stop trying to pass the buck!!! 🤬

• Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 12:37 PM, MMDown Under said:

….and there are lots of smart people on TV.

I  missed this until now, almost choked when I read it, then realized it was posted on 1-Apr. You were joking right? I think there are many more smarter people on this forum then on all TV.

• Like 1

The government stuffed up and now they are looking for a scapegoat. This way they can deflect the blame off them onto the Ruby. How about the NSW government start telling us how many sick people there are in the state now instead of telling us how many more there are each day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The government stuffed up and now they are looking for a scapegoat. This way they can deflect the blame off them onto the Ruby. How about the NSW government start telling us how many sick people there are in the state now instead of telling us how many more there are each day.

Yes. Looking for a scapegoat.

Did anyone else see the Current Affair segment tonight on the Ruby Princess debacle. They said they had "access to emails" to and from the Ruby Princess. The first email disclosed that there were 13 (I think it was 13) people on board with respiratory symptoms but they had tested negative to influenza. The response for NSW Health was that they judged that the Ruby Princess was at low risk and that passengers were free to disembark.

I wonder if Princess carried out a pre-emptive strike in the PR war by releasing the emails. With this information in the public domain, it would be rather difficult for the NSW Health Dept or the NSW government, to claim that the Ruby Princess did not disclose that there were sick people on board. They did not have test kits for covid-19 so they can't be blamed for not carrying out that test.

The ship must have notified NSW Health that they wanted one ill passenger transported to hospital urgently. She was picked up from the ship at 2.30am. Rather unusual at this early hour. She would have been at hospital around four hours before passengers were due to disembark, but no-one at the hospital or at NSW Health rang alarm bells and stopped disembarkation of passengers.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There is a possibility that the passenger that was taken off the ship early had health issue that weren't anything to do with the virus, ie a heart attack or something like that.

No, it wasn't a heart attack. It was reported that she died a couple of days after entering hospital and she was listed as a victim of the covid-19. Here is an extract from an article about Australia's deaths from the virus.

The eighth death was a 77-year-old woman who was rushed to hospital after disembarking the Ruby Princess cruise ship in Sydney on March 14. She died in hospital on Tuesday morning, March 24.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

Many will have seen today's newspaper The Weekend Australian,  where the front page headline is "Ruby shock: officials knew".

On Thursday, NSW Health said that the Captain of the Ruby Princess had lied, then the Premier said that the ship had not disclosed the truth about the sick passengers on board.

On Friday, Carnival supplied the Premier with copies of the emails and copies of biohazard documents from the ship proving that they followed all protocols.

The text of an email from the ship's doctor to NSW Health 9.39am March 18th (the day before docking):

PLEASE be aware, we have collected viral swabs for a few cases of "febrile, Influenza test negative" individuals, and have kept the guests isolated. Please advise on how to proceed on these guests, and whether you will be processing these tests tomorrow.

Email in reply from NSW Health to Ruby Princess, 5.07pm on March 18th, seven hours after being informed that the ship had sick passengers on board:

The NSW Health expert panel has assessed the Ruby Princess as NOT requiring on board health assessment in Sydney. We would however ask you to send the 15 samples to our lab for COVID testing.. You are free to disembark tomorrow, however according to the new Australian government guidance, all passengers must go into self-isolation for 14 days.

The ship also advised NSW Health that ambulances were required to urgently transport two ill passengers to hospital.

Later on Friday (after the emails had been supplied), the Premier said "I don't think it helps to point fingers and play the blame game ... it's unfair to blame anyone". That is OK now, but so far, no-one has apologised publicly for calling the captain of the Ruby Princess a liar. 

• Like 2

Well the NSW Health Minister and Chief Medical Officer have just done a very lengthy press conference of nearly an hour obviously to get ahead of the news reports/TV specials. They were hammered by the reporters.  Too detailed to go into here but all the online newspapers are carrying the story now of what was said.

2 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Well the NSW Health Minister and Chief Medical Officer have just done a very lengthy press conference of nearly an hour obviously to get ahead of the news reports/TV specials. They were hammered by the reporters.  Too detailed to go into here but all the online newspapers are carrying the story now of what was said.

Thanks for that info. I will look on line. In The Weekend Australian they were trying to justify allowing the disembarkation of pax by saying that the situation would have been worse if they kept everyone in quarantine on the ship.

Duh!! All they had to do was carry out the tests on the 13 swabs supplied, and when they found that four were positive, send all the passengers into quarantine in hotels. Alternatively they could have kept them isolated in their cabins: the ship wasn't going anywhere. They would have had to bring on meals etc from outside and have outside people deliver food to the passengers and crew who would stay in their cabins. The American CDC reports that on the Diamond Princess no transmission of the virus occurred from passenger to passenger while under quarantine, but the problem was with staff who were working in close quarters.

51 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Channel 9 have a special on the Ruby on Sixty Minutes on Sunday night.

Have to watch the one tonight and the one tomorrow, nothing else to do, the golf club and rissole are closed, no Saturday night dinner dance down here.😬 Nor anywhere.

At least the media are getting stuck in.

Edited by NSWP

20 hours ago, mr walker said:

I  missed this until now, almost choked when I read it, then realized it was posted on 1-Apr. You were joking right? I think there are many more smarter people on this forum then on all TV.

Originally I had "one of the smartest women on TV and there are many smart women on TV".  On rereading it, I thought the comment was sexist and changed it to people.  I should have left it as is.  The ABC is full of very smart women, from Ita down, with the majority behind the scenes in production.  As a woman who couldn't be anything when I started out, just because I was a women, I've always admired smart women.