Urgent - Ruby Princess 3 people infected - Urgent Tracking of Passengers

50 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Have to watch the one tonight and the one tomorrow, nothing else to do, the golf club and rissole are closed, no Saturday night dinner dance down here.😬 Nor anywhere.

At least the media are getting stuck in.

What is the one tonight?

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Many will have seen today's newspaper The Weekend Australian,  where the front page headline is "Ruby shock: officials knew".

On Thursday, NSW Health said that the Captain of the Ruby Princess had lied, then the Premier said that the ship had not disclosed the truth about the sick passengers on board.

On Friday, Carnival supplied the Premier with copies of the emails and copies of biohazard documents from the ship proving that they followed all protocols.

The text of an email from the ship's doctor to NSW Health 9.39am March 18th (the day before docking):

PLEASE be aware, we have collected viral swabs for a few cases of "febrile, Influenza test negative" individuals, and have kept the guests isolated. Please advise on how to proceed on these guests, and whether you will be processing these tests tomorrow.

Email in reply from NSW Health to Ruby Princess, 5.07pm on March 18th, seven hours after being informed that the ship had sick passengers on board:

The NSW Health expert panel has assessed the Ruby Princess as NOT requiring on board health assessment in Sydney. We would however ask you to send the 15 samples to our lab for COVID testing.. You are free to disembark tomorrow, however according to the new Australian government guidance, all passengers must go into self-isolation for 14 days.

The ship also advised NSW Health that ambulances were required to urgently transport two ill passengers to hospital.

Later on Friday (after the emails had been supplied), the Premier said "I don't think it helps to point fingers and play the blame game ... it's unfair to blame anyone". That is OK now, but so far, no-one has apologised publicly for calling the captain of the Ruby Princess a liar. 

Blame them first, then gloss over that they were not in the wrong. seems typical for government leaders nowadays

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

What is the one tonight?

A Channel 7 special. However, a quick look on the internet advertises a channel 7 special at 7pm on Sunday night.

The promo piece I read states that the March 8th cruise should never have gone ahead because sick people disembarked from the previous cruise. And that the COVID spread through the ship. No. There have not been any confirmed cases from the previous cruise (24th Feb to 8th March). I read one erroneous report in The Guardian that said that two pax from the earlier tested positive after they flew back to NT. Every other report says that the couple disembarked from the Ruby on the 19th and flew to NT on that day - not on the 8th.

With such a basic error, I wonder what the rest of the report will be like.

Here is part of the promo piece (I have added the underlining) :

It was a cruise that should have been cancelled.

When 2700 holidaymakers boarded the Ruby Princess on March 8 for a round-tour of New Zealand, what they didn’t know was they were walking on to a floating petri dish. That hours before they’d stepped aboard, sick passengers from the previous tour had disembarked.

By the time the ship returned to Sydney in the early hours on March 19, the COVID-19 virus had spread rapidly through the ship. Yet all passengers were granted permission to come ashore and use any means of travel to return to their homes both in Australia and in many cases, overseas – no warnings of the dangers they faced, the peril on board and the danger they now posed to the wider community.

7NEWS investigative reporter Denham Hitchcock presents this explosive investigation into how the Ruby Princess became a breeding ground for the largest cluster of COVID-19 in the country, now spread to every state and territory – and other parts of the world.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Unbelievably disappointing that NSW is covering up their stuff up here and shifting blame to the Captain. Really sticks in my throat when I read of the NSW police fining individuals for breaching various social distancing rules in parks etc. I would like to hear of more policing of people who are supposed to be socially isolating, having been told to do so due to their travel or contact history. I read that VIC police visited 391 people yesterday who are supposed to be socially isolating. 99 of them were not home.  I find that very concerning. 

• Like 1

The Channel 7 promo for their investigative report is a beat up.  I will watch the show tomorrow night, but if the promo is anything to go by, I will have to restrain myself from throwing things at the TV.  OK. I know it is not my TV's fault. 😁

• Like 2

BTW, the reports today say that the decision to clear the disembarkation of the Ruby Princess was made by "an expert panel in the Health Department", in other words public servants, although medical people. This is what I said ten or more days ago, but  someone insisted it would have been the Premier, or at least the Health Minister. A decision like this would have been considered routine (unfortunately it wasn't) and it would not have been referred to the level of the Minister or the Premier. Now that they have openly criticized the ship, they will be the ones who will cop the PR fall-out. Watch out for more attempts to deflect the blame back onto Princess.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

BTW, the reports today say that the decision to clear the disembarkation of the Ruby Princess was made by "an expert panel in the Health Department", in other words public servants, although medical people. This is what I said ten or more days ago, but  someone insisted it would have been the Premier, or at least the Health Minister. A decision like this would have been considered routine (unfortunately it wasn't) and it would not have been referred to the level of the Minister or the Premier. Now that they have openly criticized the ship, they will be the ones who will cop the PR fall-out. Watch out for more attempts to deflect the blame back onto Princess.

……………...Then there's this - it was gonna happen:

Lawyers prepare Ruby Princess class action

Lawyers are preparing a class-action lawsuit against Carnival Cruises on behalf of dozens of passengers who sailed on the coronavirus stricken Ruby Princess ship.

Shine Lawyers says the 2700 passengers on board were not advised of the risk to themselves and others and were not monitored for symptoms.

The lawsuit in its early stages is expected to be the first in a wave of class actions.

54 minutes ago, dizzy1948 said:

Lawyers are preparing a class-action lawsuit against Carnival Cruises on behalf of dozens of passengers who sailed on the coronavirus stricken Ruby Princess ship.

Shine Lawyers says the 2700 passengers on board were not advised of the risk to themselves and others and were not monitored for symptoms.

The lawsuit in its early stages is expected to be the first in a wave of class actions.

Damn, more and more like America. The world is going crazy.

52 minutes ago, dizzy1948 said:

I saw a report on this lawsuit in The Weekend Australian.  I consider it 'ambulance chasing' where the lawyers stand to make a windfall profit if they are successful in their lawsuit. My opinion:

We sailed on the Sea Princess two weeks earlier. Before we left home we knew that there was an international epidemic of COVIC-19 (who didn't?).

Were we advised of a risk on board? No. But we were given a health questionnaire that asked questions about previous travel. If a passenger had been to various Asian ports, they would be denied boarding. At the Captain's lunch, our host, the Hotel Director, said she was receiving an up-dated version of the health questionnaire every day. Presumably this was given to the passengers who boarded the Ruby Princess on 8th March (the day we disembarked Sea Princess).

All the passengers would surely have been aware of what happened on the Diamond Princess. There is always a chance that if someone boards a ship with a virus, that it can spread through the ship, particularly with a virus like COVID-19.

The question to be asked is "Did they have to be advised of the risk to themselves?" I cannot see that they needed any more advice. There have been no reports of COVID-19 on the previous cruise so they were no more at risk than the passengers on other cruises, for instance, the Sea Princess that also started on 8th March. Unfortunately, on the Ruby, obviously someone boarded, already infected with the virus.

The claim that they were not monitored while on board. Mmm. On cruiseships, if a passenger (or crew member) is ill, they can go to the medical centre. Would we like someone visiting our cabin every day to take our temperature and monitor our health? No. Not unless there was a major infection on board. When the ship was in Wellington, their second last port, tests were carried out on swabs from several (I think 5) passengers. All tested negative. It was not known that there was infection of COVID on board, so there was no need to interrupt passengers' cruise to monitor their health.

Just my 'two bob's worth'. From my understanding of the law, the plaintiffs would have to prove that the cruise line was negligent. I doubt that the lawsuit against Princess Cruises would have much chance of success. They might have more chance against the NSW Health Department.

34 minutes ago, nnps said:

Damn, more and more like America. The world is going crazy.

It's all the sensationalism......…………...it will take years and years to go anywhere but Mr Shine and co will for sure take the "shine" off cruising in Aus. (excuse the pun) The "class action group" will need a good injury lawyer after this because Shine will throw them under the bus. Only one winner...……...HOPE it's the cruiselines

Just a thought - didn't think you could sue for an "Act of God"????????????

Edited by dizzy1948

26 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I saw a report on this lawsuit in The Weekend Australian.  I consider it 'ambulance chasing' where the lawyers stand to make a windfall profit if they are successful in their lawsuit. My opinion:

We sailed on the Sea Princess two weeks earlier. Before we left home we knew that there was an international epidemic of COVIC-19 (who didn't?).

Were we advised of a risk on board? No. But we were given a health questionnaire that asked questions about previous travel. If a passenger had been to various Asian ports, they would be denied boarding. At the Captain's lunch, our host, the Hotel Director, said she was receiving an up-dated version of the health questionnaire every day. Presumably this was given to the passengers who boarded the Ruby Princess on 8th March (the day we disembarked Sea Princess).

All the passengers would surely have been aware of what happened on the Diamond Princess. There is always a chance that if someone boards a ship with a virus, that it can spread through the ship, particularly with a virus like COVID-19.

The question to be asked is "Did they have to be advised of the risk to themselves?" I cannot see that they needed any more advice. There have been no reports of COVID-19 on the previous cruise so they were no more at risk than the passengers on other cruises, for instance, the Sea Princess that also started on 8th March. Unfortunately, on the Ruby, obviously someone boarded, already infected with the virus.

The claim that they were not monitored while on board. Mmm. On cruiseships, if a passenger (or crew member) is ill, they can go to the medical centre. Would we like someone visiting our cabin every day to take our temperature and monitor our health? No. Not unless there was a major infection on board. When the ship was in Wellington, their second last port, tests were carried out on swabs from several (I think 5) passengers. All tested negative. It was not known that there was infection of COVID on board, so there was no need to interrupt passengers' cruise to monitor their health.

Just my 'two bob's worth'. From my understanding of the law, the plaintiffs would have to prove that the cruise line was negligent. I doubt that the lawsuit against Princess Cruises would have much chance of success. They might have more chance against the NSW Health Department.

Alas, in all this we get down to "honesty is the best policy". Passengers will have ticked all the boxes they needed to show they were healthy - even with coughs and sneezes, like we all do at some time or another, unfortunately it is more serious than that. 

1 hour ago, dizzy1948 said:

Alas, in all this we get down to "honesty is the best policy". Passengers will have ticked all the boxes they needed to show they were healthy - even with coughs and sneezes, like we all do at some time or another, unfortunately it is more serious than that. 

It is quite possible, even likely that the infected person boarded the Ruby Princess unaware that they had the virus. Six days into the cruise, several people (I think it was five) were tested in Wellington. The tests came back negative. The authorities on the ship were being cautious: they asked passengers with flu-like symptoms to stay isolated in their cabins.

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is quite possible, even likely that the infected person boarded the Ruby Princess unaware that they had the virus. Six days into the cruise, several people (I think it was five) were tested in Wellington. The tests came back negative. The authorities on the ship were being cautious: they asked passengers with flu-like symptoms to stay isolated in their cabins.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. If they'd tested everybody at the time, it may have shown up, different outcome.   I remember way back in 2009? being tested- temperature - in Hong Kong, then Singapore - don't know why. (ignorance is bliss - or is it??) they wouldn't let us off the ship until we were all tested, completed the forms - and then we were allowed off in both places. We all had to form an orderly queue. Didn't take long. 

The only way now is forward and see what the outcome is. 

14 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Sky news reporting criminal investigation regarding Ruby Princess

Into the government officials and the blame game will start over.

I wonder which way it will go, if it will end like the Fraser Anning investigation, ropped very quickly (due to resources) or the ABC reporters investigation, still ongoing.

48 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

I don't believe the investigation could be categorised as "criminal", just because it is a police investigation. Here is the lead-in part from Sky News:

The handling of the Ruby Princess cruise ship fiasco is now under police investigation, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has confirmed. Police will investigate how 2700 passengers were allowed to disembark the cruise ship last month without being tested for the deadly ...

15 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Those who went on the Ruby March 8th cruise, knew exactly what the risks were. They stayed on and took the risk.  Of course, the expectation was a fun cruise and no one getting sick..but lets be real!

33 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't believe the investigation could be categorised as "criminal", just because it is a police investigation. Here is the lead-in part from Sky News:

The handling of the Ruby Princess cruise ship fiasco is now under police investigation, NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has confirmed. Police will investigate how 2700 passengers were allowed to disembark the cruise ship last month without being tested for the deadly ...

Because someone was not doing their job..plain and simple.!

17 minutes ago, BRANDEE said:

Those who went on the Ruby March 8th cruise, knew exactly what the risks were. They stayed on and took the risk.  Of course, the expectation was a fun cruise and no one getting sick..but lets be real!

Agreed. Just like we knew the (slight) risk when we went on our cruise two weeks earlier. We also know there is the possibility of picking up a cold or similar infection.

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Agreed. Just like we knew the (slight) risk when we went on our cruise two weeks earlier. We also know there is the possibility of picking up a cold or similar infection.

When we left USA at the end of Feb, of course I had no idea that my husband and I would become part of a pandemic.  The thought of the situation going so wrong so quick was really not considered. But it did.  Did I have a false sense of confidence that the cruise line would be looking out for me and never allow us to board a "death ship"  (everytime I read that my skin crawls).  The ultimate decision no to get off the ship was ours.  I will admit that as we boarded and no temperature taking was done, as well as no temperature taking at the airport a week earlier had me nervous.  I even said to my husband...  this  is not good.  Do I regret my decision, of course I do, as we are now in week two and half of corona virus.  This is going to be a very long slow rehab and we are beyond fatigued and stressed and scared. I just hope your country gets itself in gear and puts a lot of policies in place now..to flatten the curve...pointing fingers at each other is wasting time and obviously things change so quickly.  Stay safe my friend!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodscruise said:

Poor reporting by SKY. More like an 'Inquiry' not a criminal investigation.

• Like 1