Cruise Critic Community
MMDown Under

Urgent - Ruby Princess 3 people infected - Urgent Tracking of Passengers

10 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

I don't see how that would be possible.

In this case, it would be extremely foolish as the captain had no medical testing ability, nor confirmation, so no basis to even challenge the health department. Moreover, his role is to deliver passengers safely to the destination country Australia. If Australia accepts them, and they have been treated to the best of the ability onboard as they appear to have, then his work is done. 

The responsibility sits with Australia, its border control, and sub policies related to Health. If those departments accept the passengers in, he has no right to prevent them and lock them up as the passengers have done nothing in contravention of the cruise line policy, and he certainly can't override health and border control responsibilities of Australia.

I totally agree with the above. I could draw an analogy here. Would a Qantas pilot be asked to confirm that he has no infected passengers on board? Whether or not passengers can enter the country is the responsibility of Border Force or relevant state authority. This should have been a first line defence but now the state is trying to abrogate their responsibility at the second line. They have failed twice.

21 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Did either of the shows mention the percentage of passengers who had travelled from overseas (excluding NZ) for that cruise, and how no incoming passengers on arriving flights had no health checks at all?

I vaguely recall someone saying around 20% of the passengers on that cruise were from the US but it may have been on a different forum. Certainly on the NZ cruises we have done on Celebrity over the past few years there was a high percentage Americans and British passengers onboard.

No, neither of the TV shows mentioned how  many passengers travelled from overseas to join the Ruby Princess. They just wanted to blaqme Carnival and the ship's officers.

I will mention that on our 23rd February NZ cruise on the Sea Princess, out of 1,900 passengers, there were more than 400 Americans and a similar number from the UK. It is likely the Ruby had a similar proportion from overseas.

33 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ditto. 

I was hoping for a timeline of phone calls and emails. I guess because of the criminal investigation those details have been sealed for now. I recall way back, at the time they were disembarked that people were commenting that they had never got off a ship so quickly. Maybe it was Brandee? 

Sad times. 

Edited by Pushka

25 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Did either of the shows mention the percentage of passengers who had travelled from overseas (excluding NZ) for that cruise, and how no incoming passengers on arriving flights had no health checks at all?

I vaguely recall someone saying around 20% of the passengers on that cruise were from the US but it may have been on a different forum. Certainly on the NZ cruises we have done on Celebrity over the past few years there was a high percentage Americans and British passengers onboard.

I remember reading that 80% of the passengers were Australian.  I suspect that Americans would account for over 50% of the remainder, but that's just my best guess - I haven't seen any figures breaking down that last 20%.

20 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Princess did pull the pin on all cruises, on March 12th, four days after that cruise departed. However they stated that cruises that were in progress would either complete their itineraries or finish in some other suitable port - I can't recall the exact wording on this.

Exactly. They said that cruises that were in progress would complete their cruises if they could do so by a certain date (maybe the 16th) and that other cruises would be cut short, ending at a port that was suitable for operational reasons. Therefore the Sea Princess on its 'clockwise direction' voyage around Australia, sailed from Tasmania back to Sydney where the cruise was scheduled to end on 7th April, rather than continue on to Adelaide.

The Ruby Princess is docked at Port Kembla. I am glad the government is finally seeing sense and allowing the disembarkation and repatriation of healthy crew members. Here is part of a news report on the ABC website from two hours ago:

Eleven coronavirus deaths, and more than 600 cases, have been linked to the Ruby Princess cruise ship, which docked at Port Kembla this morning. NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said there were 1,040 crew members from 50 different countries still on the ship. About a fifth of them have COVID-19 symptoms.

The ship will get fresh supplies and everyone on board will be tested so healthy crew members can be repatriated.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Eleven coronavirus deaths, and more than 600 cases, have been linked to the Ruby Princess cruise ship, which docked at Port Kembla this morning. NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller said there were 1,040 crew members from 50 different countries still on the ship. About a fifth of them have COVID-19 symptoms.

Replace Ruby Princess with wuhan, china via persons unknown who made it past our borders and onto the ship.

We cannot let cruise ships take the blame here.