Urgent - Ruby Princess 3 people infected - Urgent Tracking of Passengers

18 hours ago, Pushka said:

We all love cruises. But right now I hate them. 

Why? The cruise didn't cause the infections, it was the slow action of those in power taking action to shut down international travel sooner.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but were most of those infected from N America?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Why? The cruise didn't cause the infections, it was the slow action of those in power taking action to shut down international travel sooner.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong but were most of those infected from N America?

Of course.  However international passengers are a key driver of the cruise business. And when it goes bad on a cruise ship, it's really bad. I guess it's a similar effect when there is a plane crash and 200 people perish, yet our fatality statistics on a road are much worse but it's the 'en mass' effect.  

Agree re North America. They handed 10 on SA just last Thursday in one hit. Before it was Wuhan, then morphed to Europe but USA did clobber us later. 

I am on the Celebrity boards and people there from the US still expect to be on a cruise out of Sydney in mid April. 😤. And when I suggested (ie told) them that Australia was off limits to non citizens/residents and even they have to self isolate for 14 days,  they want me to provide the link to prove it! Probably doesn't help that Celebrity hasn't the cruise. 

18 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I am on the Celebrity boards and people there from the US still expect to be on a cruise out of Sydney in mid April. 😤. And when I suggested (ie told) them that Australia was off limits to non citizens/residents and even they have to self isolate for 14 days,  they want me to provide the link to prove it! Probably doesn't help that Celebrity hasn't the cruise. 

"There are none so blind as those that will not see".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

2021 I hope. There is no way that Australia will be over this before Spring. No way. 

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

If you listen to the politicians, they keep increasing the date from 4 weeks to our PM saying on Sunday he didn't want the children to miss a year of school - a year no less!  Children missing school is the least of our problems. ( I pulled my children out of school for a year's travel overseas and my elder daughter topped her class the next year and the younger one started school 4 going on 10!)  

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

"There are none so blind as those that will not see".

They have got their heads stuck in the sand some of these people.  We are closed for tourism business.

On 3/21/2020 at 4:15 PM, NSWP said:

OK as I said earlier, we have 2 friends locally - local Probus Club members like us,  who disembarked Ruby last week, they were told nothing re virus.  They travelled home via motor coach from Sydney to Batemans Bay.  Since then, on Friday arvo he got an E mail from NSW Health, telling him and his wife to quarantine at home and if they wanted to, go to a local virus testing facility at Moruya Hospital, which they did straight away.  Their results will be available early next week. 

My friend is of the opinion the ship did know there were possible cases on board as the results were known only a few hours after disembarkation and testing allegedly takes a couple of days right?   As I said before, a monumental stuff by one or more agencies.

Personally I feel the number of positive results from the Ruby will increase in the near future.

Sorry to update you re this, but thought I should...re our 2 friends @ Longbeach, Batemans Bay,  results were given to them on Sunday...the husband's test was positive, wife was negative. As per instructions self quarantining at home.  If he gets unwell, (he says he feels ok,) then he has to contact Health Commission.  We have no ICU beds in Batemans Bay and Moruya hospitals , nearest ones are at Bega and Canberra - 2 hours.  No, I have not been in actual contact, phone and E Mail.

Edited by NSWP

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Sorry to update you re this, but thought I should...re our 2 friends @ Longbeach, Batemans Bay,  results were given to them on Sunday...the husband's test was positive, wife was negative. As per instructions self quarantining at home.  If he gets unwell, (he says he feels ok,) then he has to contact Health Commission.  We have no ICU beds in Batemans Bay and Moruya hospitals , nearest ones are at Bega and Canberra - 2 hours.  No, I have not been in actual contact, phone and E Mail.

I'm glad you haven't been in contact with them. I hope you and your wife keep well. 🙂

14 hours ago, banzaii said:

Hard to see Princess brand surviving all this negative publicity.  

Does this all trace back to Diamond Princess and staff movements?  The must be some reason why the vast majority of cruise aquired cases are Princess.

I seem to recall that the original infection on the Ruby was from an American passenger who flew to Australia to take the cruise. That was the case with the Golden Princess.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

sorry to hear one of your friends has been tested positive.  Hopefully he will stay well during his self quarantining at home.  I hope his wife remains negative.  Good that you can keep in touch by phone and email.  Keep well!

5 hours ago, banzaii said:

Yes but Rod aside, nowhere near the negative media coverage.

I think the cruise industry as a whole will have an uphill battle to recover.  Some people will remember cruise ship, some will remember diamonds and rubies, most will remember Princess.

very true, I do not understand why they were not taking the proper precautions for those coming off the ships as well as those off planes.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Media now reporting 140 confirmed cases off Ruby.   12 hospitalised with 2 critical.

That's sad news. There will still be cases from the ship for the rest of the isolation time then another wave later of possible contacts.

10 minutes ago, megsie said:

That's sad news. There will still be cases from the ship for the rest of the isolation time then another wave later of possible contacts.

I am a bit sceptical about those numbers, time will tell.  The Media is revelling on these stories.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

very true, I do not understand why they were not taking the proper precautions for those coming off the ships as well as those off planes.

Passengers should not have been allowed to disembark from the Ruby Princess until the tests on the symptomatic passengers came back as negative. It is not good enough for the NSW Health Department to just say that they felt they were at low risk.

I did read that all passengers were given instructions to self-isolate for 14 days, but not sure if this is correct. However, it is obvious that those who flew back to the US, didn't self-isolate.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Passengers should not have been allowed to disembark from the Ruby Princess until the tests on the symptomatic passengers came back as negative. It is not good enough for the NSW Health Department to just say that they felt they were at low risk.

I did read that all passengers were given instructions to self-isolate for 14 days, but not sure if this is correct. However, it is obvious that those who flew back to the US, didn't self-isolate.

Exactly, my friend who is positive after Friday's testing said they did receive a notice on the Monday before disembarking that they need to self isolate, but never told testing was going on.  Monumental incompetence.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

They needed to be quarantined like we did at the start for the people off the Diamond..

Yes, in hindsight, that is correct. However, with the Diamond, they knew they had a confirmed case who had disembarked. With the Ruby, at the time passengers disembarked, they did not know that they had had a case on board.

I dont know the numbers but SA has seen some gifting from Ruby, and courtesy of NSW authorities. Grrr. 

Yes, in hindsight, that is correct. However, with the Diamond, they knew they had a confirmed case who had disembarked. With the Ruby, at the time passengers disembarked, they did not know that they had had a case on board.

Sure, but they only had to wait for the test results to come out. 

Edited by Pushka

I am very sceptical about these numbers. Where is this information from? Moreover, maybe they were not sick at all or they were sick with something else. In any case, I wouldnt panic at this moment. There have been too mana fake news recently concerning people getting ill on board.. as if someone tries simultenuasly to kick us out from the cruises we paid our money for. Maybe its a regular flue or some sever stomachache? Hope everything goes well with them anyway

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

I am very sceptical about these numbers. Where is this information from? Moreover, maybe they were not sick at all or they were sick with something else. In any case, I wouldnt panic at this moment. There have been too mana fake news recently concerning people getting ill on board.. as if someone tries simultenuasly to kick us out from the cruises we paid our money for. Maybe its a regular flue or some sever stomachache? Hope everything goes well with them anyway

No. I believe they are talking about confirmed cases of coronavirus.☹️