Urgent - Ruby Princess 3 people infected - Urgent Tracking of Passengers

58 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I am very sceptical about these numbers. Where is this information from?

I am with you Roger88 - media is great at quoting numbers, a little less so at quoting sources. And whenever they mention a cruise ship the only cruise line any of them know is Princess, because of Diamond probably.
Four ships had COVID19 cases disembark in Australia on the 19/20th but you rarely hear about the other three 🧐

40 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I am with you Roger88 - media is great at quoting numbers, a little less so at quoting sources. And whenever they mention a cruise ship the only cruise line any of them know is Princess, because of Diamond probably.
Four ships had COVID19 cases disembark in Australia on the 19/20th but you rarely hear about the other three 🧐

NOTE: On the news now and there are only 48 confirmed cases from Ruby.

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

I dont know the numbers but SA has seen some gifting from Ruby, and courtesy of NSW authorities. Grrr. 

Yes, in hindsight, that is correct. However, with the Diamond, they knew they had a confirmed case who had disembarked. With the Ruby, at the time passengers disembarked, they did not know that they had had a case on board.

Sure, but they only had to wait for the test results to come out. 

Exactly, in fact they had already stuffed up with the Voyager cruises, which already had one cruise affected and then the second (next) one as well, but they still let them go on their way.

There has been 9 positive cases from Ruby Princess and one from another unnamed cruise ship reported by Hunter Health Area update today. 

I haven't seen any information of the 140 as reported by NSWP,  just the 48 or 50 from the Ruby. But I would imagine these figures will still increase for a while, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Queensland had 60, making a total of 319 - scary number increase!

Sadly, that's about par for the course right now.  Australia's numbers have been going up by 20-26% every day for the last 2 weeks, roughly doubling every 3 days.

10 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Sadly, that's about par for the course right now.  Australia's numbers have been going up by 20-26% every day for the last 2 weeks, roughly doubling every 3 days.

And they want to reduce it to a doubling every six days. It sucks though when in one hit you score 10 at a time, and more, thanks to Ruby. 

"Facing reporters on Saturday, Hazzard said that in hindsight he would have waited for coronavirus test results before allowing passengers to disembark."

Ya think?

Edited by Pushka

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

And they want to reduce it to a doubling every six days. It sucks though when in one hit you score 10 at a time, and more, thanks to Ruby. 

"Facing reporters on Saturday, Hazzard said that in hindsight he would have waited for coronavirus test results before allowing passengers to disembark."

Ya think?

Yeah, disavow all responsibility. Nothing to see here. Move on.

41 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I just hope we do not get within cooee of Italy's figures, they are absolutely horrendous.

With access to medical data, the concern amongst those who work in the area as recently as last Saturday was that is exactly where it is heading. I'm not sure if progress has been made since then. It changes - in a second. Italy's medical facilities are apparently excellent. Hopefully it is their demographics and social habits that made the medical systems unable to cope. 

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I just hope we do not get within cooee of Italy's figures, they are absolutely horrendous.

I don't think the situation here will get anywhere near as bad as in Italy.

A Guardian (newspaper) article outlined what happened in Italy. Visitors from China took the virus there before we got it here in Australia. Then there was no effective isolation. The people didn't realize the severe implications of this virus: even an official was saying coronavirus was no worse than the flu. This was after several people had died.

In Italy people live much closer together than we do in Australia, and people who are accustomed to greeting each other with a hug and kiss. The virus spread rapidly. Then there is the factor that Italy has the highest average age in the world (I think it is in the world).

Italy's health system was quickly overwhelmed. Although it is modern, for a population of 60 million (well over twice Australia's) there are only 700 ICU beds whereas in Australia we have 2,200.

By slowing down the spread in Australia, our government has more time to plan. For instance they are quickly preparing more ICU beds. Another factor in our favour, is that we have seen what has happened in China and Italy, so hopefully people will take the matter seriously.

53 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

A Guardian (newspaper) article outlined what happened in Italy. Visitors from China took the virus there before we got it here in Australia. Then there was no effective isolation. The people didn't realize the severe implications of this virus: even an official was saying coronavirus was no worse than the flu. This was after several people had died.

In Italy people live much closer together than we do in Australia, and people who are accustomed to greeting each other with a hug and kiss. The virus spread rapidly. Then there is the factor that Italy has the highest average age in the world (I think it is in the world).

Italy's health system was quickly overwhelmed. Although it is modern, for a population of 60 million (well over twice Australia's) there are only 700 ICU beds whereas in Australia we have 2,200.

By slowing down the spread in Australia, our government has more time to plan. For instance they are quickly preparing more ICU beds. Another factor in our favour, is that we have seen what has happened in China and Italy, so hopefully people will take the matter seriously.

The spread in Australi hasn't slowed down one iota to date.  Hopefully the measures which the Govt belatedly put in place yesterday will be the start of the slowing.

What has gained us some time is that it was slower getting here, and the Australian health officials were looking for it.  The Italians were caught unawares, and they probably had thousands of people infected before they even knew it was in the country.

Right now, we're on exactly the same trajectory as Italy, Spain, the USA and UK.  We're just not quite as far along the curve.  That's a time lag, not an indicator that we're doing better than them.

39 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

What has gained us some time is that it was slower getting here, and the Australian health officials were looking for it.  The Italians were caught unawares, and they probably had thousands of people infected before they even knew it was in the country.

Right now, we're on exactly the same trajectory as Italy, Spain, the USA and UK.  We're just not quite as far along the curve.  That's a time lag, not an indicator that we're doing better than them.

From reports it appears that some officials in Italy (and USA) were not overly concerned about the virus in the early days. From what I heard here, our officials were focused on what was happening in China.

Our first case was a tourist from China who was diagnosed on 25th January: Italy's first case was also a Chinese tourist, on 31st January. Italy did not have "thousands of people infected before they even knew it was in the country." It is possible that there was an infected person in Italy before the first known case, but I don't think this has been suggested by anyone in authority.

Although the Italian government immediately suspended flights from China and imposed quarantine restrictions, the virus spread like the proverbial wildfire. That didn't happen in Australia, even though our first infection was roughly a week earlier than that in Italy. It would appear from this that our immediate quarantine of our first (imported) case and his contacts, clamped a lid on infections for some time.

I don't agree with your statement that we are on the same trajectory as Italy. We started a week earlier. Italy has 64,000 known infections and 6,078 deaths. Australia has 1,823 confirmed cases and (thankfully) only 7 deaths. That is nothing like the tragic figures in Italy.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

None of that makes me more confident in Australia's handling of it except for the last paragraph's sentence.

I was so shocked to hear a 71 year old woman, from Ruby Princess, had died, I didn't retain how many had died in total.

ABC News

107 cases infected from Ruby Princess

ABC News

My thoughts go out to the lady's family.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

From reports it appears that some officials in Italy (and USA) were not overly concerned about the virus in the early days. From what I heard here, our officials were focused on what was happening in China.

Our first case was a tourist from China who was diagnosed on 25th January: Italy's first case was also a Chinese tourist, on 31st January. Italy did not have "thousands of people infected before they even knew it was in the country." It is possible that there was an infected person in Italy before the first known case, but I don't think this has been suggested by anyone in authority.

Although the Italian government immediately suspended flights from China and imposed quarantine restrictions, the virus spread like the proverbial wildfire. That didn't happen in Australia, even though our first infection was roughly a week earlier than that in Italy. It would appear from this that our immediate quarantine of our first (imported) case and his contacts, clamped a lid on infections for some time.

I don't agree with your statement that we are on the same trajectory as Italy. We started a week earlier. Italy has 64,000 known infections and 6,078 deaths. Australia has 1,823 confirmed cases and (thankfully) only 7 deaths. That is nothing like the tragic figures in Italy.

The graph below is 6 days old, so it's a bit out of date now.  It shows the rapid growth in coronavirus cases, after the 100th victim was reported.

Source: https://www.health.gov.au/news/australian-health-protection-principal-committee-ahppc-coronavirus-covid-19-statement-on-17-march-2020

You can clearly see that Australia is tracking at a similar rate to France, Germany & the UK.  Not quite as bad as Italy, but closer to them than Japan or Singapore, which is where we need to be if "flattening the curve" is to be successful. 

Our plot line is shorter than the others, because it took us longer to reach the critical 100 positive mark.  However, since then our rate of increase has been tracking very close to those of every other Western European country (and the USA).

Graph of number of coronavirus cases

There is nothing to suggest that "flattening the curve" or "social distancing" has had any impact on infection rates so far.  Hopefully, the measures which came into force yesterday will start to make an impact in the next few days.

Edited by Vader1111

16 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I was so shocked to hear a 71 year old woman, from Ruby Princess, had died, I didn't retain how many had died in total.

ABC News

ABC News

We all love cruising... but when things go wrong, they turn into big white virus incubators very quickly.

28 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

ABC News

ABC News

So sad, I fear the number of cases will go up daily for the next week or two as symptoms appear.

6 minutes ago, megsie said:

Latest I have read (Daily Telegraph), 107 in NSW and 26 interstate.

133 and rising, oh dear.  One wonders in addition to the 133 pax, how many crew have tested positive by now, the Ruby is still going up and down the NSW coast, Central Coast to Port Kembla.

Edited by NSWP

A woman passenger from the Ruby Princess cruise ship has died with COVID-19, bringing the national death toll to eight.

The woman in her 70s was transported directly to hospital from the Ruby Princess which docked in Sydney on March 19. She passed away in RPA Hospital on Tuesday morning. She was one of the three original cases identified.

Lady in her 70s, with the virus, off the Ruby Princess, has died.  She was taken to hospital off the ship.  

ABC News

My sympathy to the lady's family.  Sad day for Australia with the number of infected people increasing 

1.2 billion investment in Queensland hospitals to be made by Queensland Government.

ABC News

• Like 1