Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

15 minutes ago, deultgen said:

We cancelled a April 25 cruise on March 25 - Full Refund arrived today on our credit card for all charges, taxes, etc

Exactly the same with us, same dates!  Received partial payment 05/09, and Full payment today on CC.

For those of you who cancelled their bookings prior to 3/13 (when Celebrity officially cancelled cruises) and have been told you only have to accept 100% FCC (under cruise with confidence) for cruises they subsequently cancelled, I would point out that you probably received the same email I did on 3/13 informing you of the cancellation of the cruises which says: "In order to compensate you for this cancellation, all booked guests will automatically receive 125% FCC...". 

The past tense "...all booked guests..." was used which I interpret to mean anyone who WAS booked on the cancelled sailing and who received the email. I WAS booked and received that email.  Note, they didn't say "all guests presently booked" or "all guests presently with bookings", they said "all booked guests".  If they intended it to mean only those presently booked they should have said so and should not have sent the email out to people who were not entitled to the offer.  After all, they changed their cancellation policies by offering CWC before they cancelled so why shouldn't this be interpreted as just another change in cancellation policy?  It's what I sent to Visa and what I intend to present in small claims court if it comes to that. 

If you are in the same boat (no pun intended) and would prefer a refund or 125% FCC I think legally you have a pretty good leg to stand on if you received that same email. I think you should fight for 125% FCC or a refund, as it was offered to you in writing by them on 3/13.  If they made an error in sending the email to you when you shouldn't have gotten it or an error in the wording of it, that's on them.  They made me an offer and I intend on seeing to it they fulfill it.

Edited by NHDOC

We were on March 14 sailing of Summit. We were in Puerto Rico and ready to board when they canceled the cruise on the 13th. Requested the refund about a week later (after looking at what I could get with FCC). Today I got the refund on my Credit Card. Of 4 couples traveling together so far 2 have refunds and 2 have only got taxes so far.

1 hour ago, NHDOC said:

It's what I sent to Visa and what I intend to present in small claims court if it comes to that. 

If you wanted to sue Celebrity in Small Claims court, you should not have agreed to resolve all claims through arbitration administered by National Arbitration and Mediation (NAM) under its comprehensive dispute resolution rules and procedures and NAM's fee schedule in effect at he time of the procedure; but you did. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Cruise-Ticket-Contract-Celebrity.pdf  Reading section 10 explains the full arbitration agreement.

Harris

Denver, CO

Edited by omeinv

1 hour ago, NHDOC said:

For those of you who cancelled their bookings prior to 3/13 (when Celebrity officially cancelled cruises) and have been told you only have to accept 100% FCC (under cruise with confidence) for cruises they subsequently cancelled, I would point out that you probably received the same email I did on 3/13 informing you of the cancellation of the cruises which says: "In order to compensate you for this cancellation, all booked guests will automatically receive 125% FCC...". 

The past tense "...all booked guests..." was used which I interpret to mean anyone who WAS booked on the cancelled sailing and who received the email. I WAS booked and received that email.  Note, they didn't say "all guests presently booked" or "all guests presently with bookings", they said "all booked guests".  If they intended it to mean only those presently booked they should have said so and should not have sent the email out to people who were not entitled to the offer.  After all, they changed their cancellation policies by offering CWC before they cancelled so why shouldn't this be interpreted as just another change in cancellation policy?  It's what I sent to Visa and what I intend to present in small claims court if it comes to that. 

Your interpretation is quite imaginative.  However, if you cancel a cruise, you are no longer a "booked guest".  You cancelled the booking.

Harris

Denver, CO

Our refund was partially processed. We were booked for 4/25, cancelled on 3/24 and the refund was posted on 5/24. We're still missing about 10% but that sounds like what everybody else is reporting so I'll give it a few days. Our refund was partially processed. 

7 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

Our refund was partially processed. We were booked for 4/25, cancelled on 3/24 and the refund was posted on 5/24. We're still missing about 10% but that sounds like what everybody else is reporting so I'll give it a few days. Our refund was partially processed. 

For those with partial amounts missing, it's been worth a call.  If the amount is still in process they can tell you that; but if there was an error, it needs to be noted and manually corrected, so the remainder will get paid to you.  I'd certainly call and find out which situation applies in your case.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, omeinv said:

For those with partial amounts missing, it's been worth a call.  If the amount is still in process they can tell you that; but if there was an error, it needs to be noted and manually corrected, so the remainder will get paid to you.  I'd certainly call and find out which situation applies in your case.

Harris

Denver, CO

Do I need to have my TA do it or will they tell me?

Refund received on US credit card.

• Sailing: April 1, South Pacific on Solstice
  • Who cancelled: Celebrity cancelled cruise
  • Refund requested: Self-submitted cash refund request via form on March 17
  • Used Travel Agent: Yes, US TA & payment in USD via CC
  • When Posted: May 15, 6 transactions from Celebrity.  100% refund to CC
  • When Disbursed by Celebrity: May 10 but did not appear as online until May 15 as posted.

59 calendar days elapsed between requesting refund and receiving funds.

Edited by travelpeon

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

If you wanted to sue Celebrity in Small Claims court, you should not have agreed to resolve all claims through arbitration administered by National Arbitration and Mediation (NAM) under its comprehensive dispute resolution rules and procedures and NAM's fee schedule in effect at he time of the procedure; but you did. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/Cruise-Ticket-Contract-Celebrity.pdf  Reading section 10 explains the full arbitration agreement.

Harris

Denver, CO

Since I never received a copy of this from my TA and there is no reference to it in the booking record from them I don't see how it can be enforceable, but I suppose it will be interesting to see how they respond to the suit when they are served.  NH Law is pretty pro-consumer and basically says I can sue anyone in small claims court who does business in the state and who breaches a contract with me as long as I am a resident of the state.  Doing business in the state is very loosely defined and just having a website constitutes it in the eyes of the court.  I successfully sued Samsung and State Farm in the same court - I am sure somewhere buried in those contracts was binding arbitration too but their attorneys just settled after being served. 

They have until 6/12 to return the service or lose by default.  In the mean time I have gotten back most of my money from Visa by disputes already closed in my favor.  I'm basically down to about $2500 left and if I am forced to take that as a FCC I am still way ahead of where I would have been had I not fought at all. 

Quick update to our refund status, nothing as of yet.

4/12/20 Equinox sailing canceled on 3/24/20, applied for refund online same day.

On 4/10/20 we called Celebrity to get a status on our refund and were told we would need to go through our TA (big box), even though all payment went direct through Celebrity. Followed up with our TA same day and were told, wait for it…your payment went direct through Celebrity and you’ll need to take up with them.

On 4/11 we filed a dispute with our CC (B of A) largely based on the poor correspondence with both Celebrity and TA, as well as long term cruise line viability concerns.

Today, 5/15/20, we tried the Celebrity route once again, and once again were told to call TA. Hung up and called B of A and found out the original representative who processed our dispute didn’t code as “services not rendered”, which is what should have been done. Representative today re-coded and escalated. Assured we will have our money within a week…fingers crossed 😄   

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

Your interpretation is quite imaginative.  However, if you cancel a cruise, you are no longer a "booked guest".  You cancelled the booking.

Harris

Denver, CO

I guess I will let the judge or arbitrator decide how to interpret it.  You're probably a lawyer so you probably know that a contract that is ambiguous is usually interpreted in favor of the party who didn't draft it.  I interpret an email offer to me that says "all booked guests" to mean anyone who receives this email who was ever booked (past tense used), otherwise I wouldn't have received it (or it would have specifically excluded those who had previously cancelled under another offer, and it doesn't say that).  Plenty of holes in that email for me to use to get my money back.  I guess Celebrity should have exercised more care in who those emails were sent to and precisely what they said.  If they are careless or clueless it doesn't mean that they aren't liable to deliver what they promised.

Edited by NHDOC

Just an FYI for all of you waiting for cash refunds from Celebrity.

I cancelled our May 3/21 Hawaii Solstice cruise on May 7th through our Canadian TA and received a confirming e-mail from Celebrity the same afternoon.  Today the credit showed on my Amex account for the full amount of my deposit ($960.00 Cdn).  So don't be put off by all the horror stories.  I don't think we're anything special (Select).  Hang in there.

Seniorcanuk

Toronto

Edited by seniorcanuk
error
  • Thanks 1

Glad you got your refund so quickly.  I think a simple refund of a deposit may be a automatic transaction not requiring human intervention.  The refunds that are taking longer are those after final payment, requiring refunds of taxes & port fees, cruise fare (either as refund or FCC) and in some cases refunding dining packages, excursions, etc.  

We are considering cancelling a booking that we can’t lift & switch so it good to know we won’t have to wait long for our deposit to be refunded.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, omeinv said:

Harris

Denver, CO

First you have to get them to answer the phone.  I get a busy signal.

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

Do I need to have my TA do it or will they tell me?

I always book direct, so I don't know for sure, but I'd certainly try calling myself first. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Also received refund this morning for Summit 9 May and 6 June cruises.   Refunds came in 7 different amounts.  The 6 June cruise was deposit only as that is all that we had paid on it.

Hang in there folks.   We responded to the Celebrity e-mail the same day they cancelled each cruise.  The 9 May one was cancelled in March so it took almost 2 months to get our refund.  The June was only the deposit so they added it to the credit card with the May cruise.