Cancelled Cruises Refund Tracker/Discussion (merged topics)

Quo Vadis?

Our April 21 cruise was cancelled on March 25 and we requested a full refund right away.  At first they told me 30 days for it to arrive.   Then they told me 45 days for the refund.  Now yesterday they are telling me 60 days for the refund.  They have $15,000 of our money and we are still waiting. Not a happy camper.

I wonder how may have already received their refunds.

I requested my refund March 15 for cancelled March 20 cruise. I received my X flights and excursions within a few weeks but still nothing for the cruise. Every time I call, I’m told (by very sympathetic reps) my refund has been escalated and they give me a new “red line” date. Yesterday, the latest final date, they told me they’re reescalating it. I decided to start a Chase credit card dispute, so now they have 30 days.

What really irks me is the number of people reporting on here that were on April, May and June cruises that have gotten their refunds back already. I’m certainly glad for them but there doesn’t seem to be a system that X is using. I wish they were honest with us. And to the people who have gotten partial refunds or missing 10%, I’m sure that’s a planned program to save them money. They may be hoping these people won’t notice or won’t bother to ask for the balance. It seems to be happening too consistently (as noted on this thread) to be a “mistake”.

I find their customer service has been deplorable. Treating any cruisers and especially loyal cruisers (we’re Elite Plus) this way will not help their reopening. We keep getting new cruise offers from X and I just laugh at them. There’s no way I’m going to book a cruise while they’re holding my $$$.

Edited by luv2cruisemore

Today's sales  e mail was offering  short cruises..some from ports that might not be open or reachable by airlines.....but perhaps  a short cruise in a nice room might be a good way to use up the FCCs and be rid of X for awhile or forever !

Edited by hcat

14 hours ago, Husky61 said:

Our April 21 cruise was cancelled on March 25 and we requested a full refund right away.  At first they told me 30 days for it to arrive.   Then they told me 45 days for the refund.  Now yesterday they are telling me 60 days for the refund.  They have $15,000 of our money and we are still waiting. Not a happy camper.

I wonder how may have already received their refunds.

Our cruise was 21st April, New Orleans. We received our taxes and prepaid grats this week but no sign of the cruise fare portion (we had requested a refund also).

Hi Everyone:

Our June 26 Alaska cruise was cancelled by Celebrity on 3/29 and I filed for a refund immediately.  Yesterday I received the cruise portion of the refund, $11,000+.  Still waiting on taxes, fees,  and tours.

I called backed on 5/7 for an update and I was informed by the rep. they were having a problem with their IT dept. which slowed refunds.   My paperwork was refiled and the above is the result.

I would suggest if anyone has electronically filed a refund and has not called to check on its status, to do so.

We got our refund in four credits yesterday, I believe we received everything back except insurance and a 25.00 handling fee from ta.  I filed for the refund when we got our cancellation email on March 26.  I never called anyone.
Good luck and hope to see you soon.

18 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Today I see credits for our April 5th sailing that Celebrity notified me they cancelled on March 13.  I used the link in the email and requested a refund on March 14.  I had booked via a travel agent; I did not involve them in the refund request.  That balance is exactly what was due.  However, for a March 29 cruise Celebrity cancelled on March 13 that I requested a refund for on March 16....for that one I received several credits on April 29 but they were $148.68 short.  After a couple of weeks I called Celebrity and they told me they could not discuss the refund with me as I booked via a travel agent.  I sent my TA an email today and hopefully that will be resolved too.  

So much for the theory that they only process refunds on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Hi,

I think? I booked the same cruise as you (Silhouette April 5th).

I did EXACTLY what you did. Applied for 100% refund, online form that was emailed

to me, did not use my TA etc.

This week after 56 days the sent me FCC NOT a refund!

You were very fortunate and one of the few LUCKY ones.

Most who filled out the online form got FCC.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the refund department get bonuses

if the screw up and delay giving refunds!! (I have my tinfoil hat on)

Yes, I now contacted my TA and have be rewarded by waiting longer!

Our May 30th cruise was cancelled 4 weeks ago. Requested a refund 3 weeks ago and money refunded yesterday. Very impressed from a personal point of view, I realise not everyone has been so fortunate!

1 hour ago, BP99 said:

Hi,

I think? I booked the same cruise as you (Silhouette April 5th).

I did EXACTLY what you did. Applied for 100% refund, online form that was emailed

to me, did not use my TA etc.

This week after 56 days the sent me FCC NOT a refund!

You were very fortunate and one of the few LUCKY ones.

Most who filled out the online form got FCC.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the refund department get bonuses

if the screw up and delay giving refunds!! (I have my tinfoil hat on)

Yes, I now contacted my TA and have be rewarded by waiting longer!

Yes, we were scheduled to do a B2B on Edge March 29 followed by Silhouette on April 5.  I'm so sorry this happened to you!  I should add that I did call Celebrity a week or so after I'd followed the email link to cancel when I had not received any email confirmation as Celebrity's pop-up form said I would.  I wanted to be sure my electronic request hadn't gone into the ether.  A nice young man was able to confirm that my two requests for refunds were being processed.  

On 4/1/2020 at 4:09 PM, hcat said:

No refund yet to our card on the one that the rep said  was being sent to our card...

Is this done electronically, by letter or ?

In a store they put the numbers in and then it  is done to card..not sure why this is delayed.

We will call again tom to check on both of our pending refunds, and will probably cancel a third cruise.  We are still holding  onto one to use with the future cruise credit..

Some  folks may be experiencing cruise withdrawal, but we are in the disgusted mode. The illness is not the  fault of X but the handling of refunds and ill pax  have soured us for now.

I did receive my refunds for my two canceled X cruises about three weeks ago. It took some extra leg work on my part but I now have them. MSC is another story. They keep changing their refund policy. I finally filed a dispute with my cc company. Within twenty-four hours I had a credit on my account for the disputed amount. I will let the cc company deal with the cruise line. I’m a patient person but when a customer service rep keeps changing their stories each time that I call (3X), I got frustrated. From reading the various boards the common theme is a very slow process on refunds. I simply think the lines are holding onto as much cash as possible all while alienating those that they will need in the future. Now we’re in a fight to get back over seven grand from United but that’s another story.🙂

Hi everyone! Just checking my credit card balance and a lovely surprise! Celebrity have refunded my cancelled June cruise, it’s been in my account for 4 days so I’m very relieved. I got 4 separate payments which when added up were $100 short of my fully paid up cruise. I’ve emailed my agent to see if they have made a mistake, but hey at least I’ve got all the rest. 
This cruise was cancelled in the last round and I requested a refund on the 17th of April, so under a month, that to me is acceptable in the circumstances, I hope you are all getting your refunds soon.Dianne

• Like 1

You are lucky, but good to hear. We are still waiting for cancelled shore ex from 27/3 and cancelled cruise from 17/4  (we should be on Baltic cruise now) not very impressed at all to be honest, its a lot of money and would like it safely in my account. 

1 hour ago, di T said:

Hi everyone! Just checking my credit card balance and a lovely surprise! Celebrity have refunded my cancelled June cruise, it’s been in my account for 4 days so I’m very relieved. I got 4 separate payments which when added up were $100 short of my fully paid up cruise. I’ve emailed my agent to see if they have made a mistake, but hey at least I’ve got all the rest. 
This cruise was cancelled in the last round and I requested a refund on the 17th of April, so under a month, that to me is acceptable in the circumstances, I hope you are all getting your refunds soon.Dianne

Under a month is good. We are over 50 days now and counting.... (Royal).

I was booked on April 21 equinox cruise to new orleans .  I booked thru and internet travel agent.  Today I received all amounts paid for cruise less $200.  Why the shortage.  Did Celebrity give $200 to the internet travel agent.  Does anyone have an answer.  

I've received a partial refund for both my May 2 and my May 9 Summit sailings.  They were posted in various amounts on my credit card.  Right now I am waiting for the missing portion of $2395.80 to be refunded for the May 9 cruise and $410.20 to be refunded for the May 2 cruise.  My TA has been constantly in touch with Celebrity and is being told these 2 missing amounts are currently being processed.  So hopefully I'll receive these in the next 2 weeks and I can close the book on these cruises.  For what it's worth I also had cruises booked in September, November, and December (all with refundable deposits) which I've since cancelled.  I've received credits to my card for all these refundable deposits.

As an aside.....another plus in booking with a TA is that they are doing all the legwork when it comes to tracking down refunds.  Saves me the frustration of trying to deal with Celebrity myself on these issues.  My TA is wonderful and she's doing all this work for her clients while worrying about losing her business due to the lack of travel.  I'm hoping for her sake (and mine) that her business survives this mess.

We have been using the wrong TA all these years, it seems. They are not responding to emails and if they do they give the standard response 60 days for refund without reading our email! It is the famous agency in New Hampshire. Never had any complaints in the last 9 years.

49 minutes ago, OuiOnboard said:

To quote a former debtor, "the longer I have it, the longer you'll have it". He was drawn to altruism and sought ways to  look out for others.

OK.  I guess I'm dense.   Could you explain this to me please?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vkb2751 said:

We have been using the wrong TA all these years, it seems. They are not responding to emails and if they do they give the standard response 60 days for refund without reading our email! It is the famous agency in New Hampshire. Never had any complaints in the last 9 years.

I’ve heard complaints about that agency lately about them not be responsive during this time.  To be honest I never regarded them as “travel agents” but rather “order takers”.  I have found that you get better service with the smaller agencies, in addition to all the perks of OBC, etc.

1 hour ago, vkb2751 said:

I used them one time around 8-10 years ago, and never again.  I agree with the other poster that they are "order takers."  🍷