Cruise Critic App is back but some issues

I just reinstalled it. Been a long time since I used that app. Forgot it even existed. I clicked on the “New Topic” button and it opened the composition box, but I didn’t bother going any further. How far could you get before getting the “permission” message?

Today that issue is fixed. I could post a new topic now. So either someone read my post and fixed the problem or it was a temporary glitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Today that issue is fixed. I could post a new topic now. So either someone read my post and fixed the problem or it was a temporary glitch.

Of note. There are ads. I don’t mind the ads because they are not too intrusive but they are totally irrelevant ads to me. Not travel or cruise stuff. Most of them are ads from Facebook to use Facebook!

Can someone give me a compelling reason to use this app when the mobile web site is far superior?

I'm not just talking about the bugs which I imagine will be worked out.  But for the android version, I see no way of editing posts, no way of formatting text, or change photo resolution,  I only seem to be able to choose one photo at a time.  And that is just for starters.  

• Like 1

Can someone give me a compelling reason to use this app when the mobile web site is far superior?
I'm not just talking about the bugs which I imagine will be worked out.  But for the android version, I see no way of editing posts, no way of formatting text, or change photo resolution,  I only seem to be able to choose one photo at a time.  And that is just for starters.  

If you prefer the mobile web then keep using it. I prefer the app on my mobile phone. To edit a post tap on it and you will get a menu with an edit option. As you can see it is possible to post two photos.

IMG_0735.JPGIMG_0733.JPG

The app has been working well for me today. No freeze ups. I prefer the Cruise Critic app on my mobile phone to the web browser on my phone. Others may prefer the mobile web browser. Many used the Cruise Critic Forums app like I did before it stopped working and liked using it. To each their own as to how they access Cruise Critic. I am not trying to convert anyone. Thank you Cruise Critic for bringing back the app option for those of us who would like to use it.

It won't let me post photos either. It'll bring up my phone's camera roll, but when I click on a photo, nothing happens. If I click on that photo again, or a different one, I get the message: "Select a maximum of 1 photos." With Tapatalk, you can post more than one photo to a single post, but you have to do it one photo at a time, unless you have the Pro version. With the CC app, I can't even get it to post one.

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The app has been working well for me today. No freeze ups. I prefer the Cruise Critic app on my mobile phone to the web browser on my phone. Others may prefer the mobile web browser. Many used the Cruise Critic Forums app like I did before it stopped working and liked using it. To each their own as to how they access Cruise Critic. I am not trying to convert anyone. Thank you Cruise Critic for bringing back the app option for those of us who would like to use it.

I am not trying to convert anyone either, I am just trying to understand what it is that you like better in the app as opposed to the mobile site. It is entirely possible that I am missing something.

29 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

Personal preference.

Considering the amount of screaming there was when it disappeared, I'm surprised there has been no official announcement.

On my laptop the following Announcement is on the right under Unread Content and Mark site read:

Great News! The Cruise Critic Forums App is Back!

LauraS

By LauraS
03/19/2020

Yes, the popular forum app you've been missing is back!  

Available for:

iOS devices in the Apple app store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cruise-critic-forums/id630594073  or SEARCH FOR:  CRUISE CRITIC FORUMS

And

Android Devices in Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.boardscruisecritic  or SEARCH FOR CRUISE CRITIC FORUMS

Note:  There may be a slight login bug but you'll find you are actually logged in!

Laura

On my laptop the following Announcement is on the right under Unread Content and Mark site read:   

Great News! The Cruise Critic Forums App is Back!

Yes, that announcement is how I knew the app was back. It seems that it is only visible though using a desktop web browser. I saw it browsing on my computer. Anyone using a mobile web browser it seems would not see that announcement that I can tell. It is not visible using a mobile browser on my mobile devices.  

10 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I must have missed it....

For me just one more of those screen areas I sorta do not "see" or notice... such as the ads that help keep the lights on around here.  emo3.gif 

17 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

... It is not visible using a mobile browser on my mobile devices.

Yep, that's what I figured so that's why I mentioned my laptop.

Yep, that's what I figured so that's why I mentioned my laptop.

I don’t think it is a critical announcement right now. I think over time members who want to use the app will find out. Also I am leaving the tag “Sent from my iPhone using Forums” checked on my posts. Some may notice.

19 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

... I think over time members who want to use the app will find out...

And come to this forum & notice your thread title. emo34.gif 

Kat, I see that private messages are enabled using the app. Is that merely an oversight or will they stick around?

I was using Tapatalk as opposed to my mobile browser because it was so much easier to post pictures straight from my Camera Roll using Tapatalk. Now that the CC app is just as easy, I'll switch back to it.

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Kat, I see that private messages are enabled using the app. Is that merely an oversight or will they stick around?...

I am not privy to that information. 

As stated in the Guidelines:

... If you have any questions or comments regarding our posting guidelines or any content found on our message boards please be sure and let me know. I'll be happy to discuss them with you.

LauraS
Senior Manager, Community
community@cruisecritic.com...

Be sure to send your email from your Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your user name.

I have been using the app many times a day and I am quite happy it is back. About once a day it freezes and I have to force quit and restart the app. After the restart it stays logged in so once a day is no big deal given how many times a day I launch the app. It is a minor bug.

On 3/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, Charles4515 said:

I have been using the app many times a day and I am quite happy it is back. About once a day it freezes and I have to force quit and restart the app. After the restart it stays logged in so once a day is no big deal given how many times a day I launch the app. It is a minor bug.

I've noticed that even if I log out of the app, once I tap the menu and tap Log In, I don't have to manually enter my username & password again. The login box appears for a second, but then disappears and I'm logged in again. Even if I close the app completely. So somewhere it's saving login info. I'm the type of person who likes to logout of my accounts when done, so I can't say that I'm fond of it saving my login info.

I've noticed that even if I log out of the app, once I tap the menu and tap Log In, I don't have to manually enter my username & password again. The login box appears for a second, but then disappears and I'm logged in again. Even if I close the app completely. So somewhere it's saving login info. I'm the type of person who likes to logout of my accounts when done, so I can't say that I'm fond of it saving my login info.

That is interesting. Apps should not remember passwords if you sign out. You don’t have auto fill turned on? I don’t log out of apps on my phone because on my phone I always log in every time I use the phone with Face ID. I am the only one who can log into the phone. Also also my apps that log out like bank apps which will log out after inactivity require use Face ID to log back on. The only thing those apps remember is user name.

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is interesting. Apps should not remember passwords if you sign out. You don’t have auto fill turned on? I don’t log out of apps on my phone because on my phone I always log in every time I use the phone with Face ID. I am the only one who can log into the phone. Also also my apps that log out like bank apps which will log out after inactivity require use Face ID to log back on. The only thing those apps remember is user name.

Nope, don't use auto-fill. It's odd, that's for sure. The only app I have that behaves that way. Somewhere, somehow, it's saving login data.

Nope, don't use auto-fill. It's odd, that's for sure. The only app I have that behaves that way. Somewhere, somehow, it's saving login data.

I don’t think the app is saving the data. I think probably you are not being logged out. Either by the app or by Cruise Critic.

Nice to have the app back but for now, the bugs still render it not usable for me (Android version).

The biggest problem is that the threads don't update after a while. On install, they appear up to date, but after a while (few hours to perhaps one day) the "participated" threads don't update any more. They are currently showing stuff that's current as of 3 days ago, when I last reinstalled the app. The little wheel keeps spinning like it *trying* to update, but it never does.

Screenshot added. See how the topmost thread has a 3 day old reply? I've posted plenty more since then and it won't update.

Screenshot_20200401-065738.thumb.jpg.d91a5201d4cc6a90697ca4e262e94557.jpg

So I'd love to have the app back, when it's functioning properly. Don't want to keep uninstalling/reinstalling just to force the thread list to update.

Edited by jpalbny
Add screenshot (using mobile website, not app)