P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I have watched the ski jump as I have admiration for the lunatic/sportsmen that 

dare to throw themselves off a mountain side :classic_ohmy:

Mrs K can get vertigo in a pair of stack heel shoes , I'm fine with heights as long 

as I can come down the same way I got up there . You should have seen the Mrs 

in a cable car ,not a thing to be repeated really ! Thinking about it she would really 

excel if Yorkshire had a curling team ,she is red hot with a duster and a brush :classic_love:

Not saying we would get many medal's but she would clean up :classic_smile:

Anyone fancy a go ?  :classic_love:     https://youtu.be/PSTqu2cjO14?t=22  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

i wrote a really long post on Sunday but it didn’t seem to post. 
our parents didn’t teach us anything about money at all. Didn’t help with decorating and barely looked after the kids. I think yours dads advise is sound about only one wage. Problem is for us could survive on hubbys, no chance of surviving on mine. 
we bought our first house in 2007 and being 19 we went on the advise of Halifax, silly woman even wrote down she didn’t give us advice but she did and we ended up with a 25year fixed rate mortgage at 6.4%. Unfortunately we were so young and stupid we had no idea how to get out of it, they kept saying it was a few thousand to leave but until we were both at home after our second child (maternity and hubby had operation) we never looked into it. Had we have just paid the few thousand at the beginning we could have been so much better off. Money just wasted cos we didn’t know any better so now we try to stay on top of how loans, mortgages, even shares etc work to make the most of our money. This is something I will definitely want to pass onto my children. 
All of you so lovely helping your kids out or teaching them etc. 

I am sure that you were not stupid but I am sorry that you had such poor advice that caused you to "waste" money that you could have made better use of.  It is good that you can now give your children better advice in the future.  My brother's daughter has 6 year old twins and has opened bank accounts for them into which she pays their pocket money at the start of the month.  The accounts are special children's accounts that have a debit card attached.  The twins know that they have to make the money last until the end of the month and that if they spend it all there will be no more until next month, it is teaching them to learn to budget.

I don't know what your situation is but if you can afford to do it it may be a way for you to start to teach your girls a little bit about budgets and careful use of cards.  I don't know which bank my niece uses but I imagine that most banks have similar accounts.

23 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I am sure that you were not stupid but I am sorry that you had such poor advice that caused you to "waste" money that you could have made better use of.  It is good that you can now give your children better advice in the future.  My brother's daughter has 6 year old twins and has opened bank accounts for them into which she pays their pocket money at the start of the month.  The accounts are special children's accounts that have a debit card attached.  The twins know that they have to make the money last until the end of the month and that if they spend it all there will be no more until next month, it is teaching them to learn to budget.

I don't know what your situation is but if you can afford to do it it may be a way for you to start to teach your girls a little bit about budgets and careful use of cards.  I don't know which bank my niece uses but I imagine that most banks have similar accounts.

My 6 year old would be great at this. She’s already saving her tooth fairy money for the cruise. 
The 7 year old however is a spender and will buy anything. She had 20p left the other week and wanted to buy dry spaghetti just so that it was spent up. I’m going to have my work cut out 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I watch alsorts of sports but I just can't get into the Winter Olympics. I've only watched a bit of curling and the 'sliding' events like bobsleigh, luge and skeleton. I normally quite like proper skiing events like downhill but I'll need to look up when it's on. I'm not a fan of newer 'hip' events like short track speed skating, snow boarding and acrobatic slope events. Maybe it's just me and the lack of much British involvement.

We love ski jumping, watching, not participating I hasten to add.😉  Eurosport televises the sport every year and we watch it live from November to March. I used to watch men's downhill too, but it's not the same now the likes of Tomba and Svindal have retired.

Avril

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Strong, gusty winds here too this morning, but dry,  a little sun and surprising mild. Not as warm as Lanzarote, but I'll take what I can get. 

Nice to see you still posting Emma. I enjoy reading the exploits of your low-riders, they sound a real handful.

Isn't it nice and peaceful this morning?😊

Stay safe and warm everyone whatever your day entails.

Avril

Thankyou Avril

Sadly I have to report that the low riders are in terminal disgrace. Given they barely stand more than a foot tall and are as lazy as heck you would imagine food on a table would be safe, proven wrong a day or so ago. So today when the doorbell rang just as I started my lunch I put the plate onto the counter top. What I had not worked out was desperately starving female dachshunds would scale the table and use their very long bodies to throw themselves to the countertop. They were apparently delighted with beef and ale pie but passed on the broccoli. Harry sat in the sitting room ignoring the whole debacle. The ladies are currently under the sofa where they have been encouraged to stay "out of my sight".

I spent some of the morning putting away anything that was remotely loose in the garden, mainly empty planters, secured the bean tower to a metal stake, pushed the wheel bin against the wall where it is sheltered. New fence looks sturdy in the strong gusts, which have increased in the last hour.

Camping lanterns charged up, power block currently charging in case we lose power either today or Friday. 

Raining at the moment but there are a few patches of blue sky around, wouldn’t want to be out in the Channel in this. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I need this option too!

The only way I could do it on iPad was to click on my user name (next to avatar top right of screen) and the option of ignored users comes up.
Type in their username and bingo- no more drivel….!

• Like 6

Just now, Angel57 said:

The only way I could do it on iPad was to click on my user name (next to avatar top right of screen) and the option of ignored users comes up.
Type in their username and bingo- no more drivel….!

Thank you and Kalos and Avril! That worked 😊 Clicking on the user does nothing at all on iPads/phones!

• Like 3

I can’t get on with the Winter Olympics either! I think it doesn’t help that we’re not doing well and most days I’m at work the times it’s showing.

Sarah - the first time I went up on deck when we went into Olden I was blown away by it! I’d nipped on deck about 6-7am leaving hubby in bed. We had an inside cabin, When we go again we will have a balcony - it’s gorgeous, the sail in and sail out. I took a few photos then rushed back to wake hubby and insist he get up 😂

On the way out we ate in the Beach House which on Ventura is high up in part of the buffet. Lovely views to have with our dinner with and we had a table by a window.

• Like 2

Change of travel plans for our drive to Southampton. Because of the horrific forecast for Friday, we are travelling tomorrow and staying at a pub I found near Winchester. Hoping the forecast is right and tomorrow is going to be a lull before the big one on Friday. Iona is missing out on La Coruna tomorrow and heading straight back to Southampton. Take care anyone driving.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Change of travel plans for our drive to Southampton. Because of the horrific forecast for Friday, we are travelling tomorrow and staying at a pub I found near Winchester. Hoping the forecast is right and tomorrow is going to be a lull before the big one on Friday. Iona is missing out on La Coruna tomorrow and heading straight back to Southampton. Take care anyone driving.

Take care Bob and have a great time .:classic_smile:

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Sensible plan!  So I just got back from my watch at Prawle Point.  Wind was 51 knots from the WSW and I could hardly stand to close our Visitor Centre door!  Home safe and sound, but it's going to be worse on Friday.

• Like 5

Weathers getting a bit more breezy up at Leeds airport (no castle nearby ):classic_smile:

Watching on radar the Jet 2 pilot from Tenerife flight is has had 3 attempts 

at landing (God loves a trier :classic_love: )  bet the passengers are having fun :classic_unsure:

Will he do it or is it a divert to Liverpool ?:classic_mellow:

Update back up at 12k feet on hold awaiting his divert :classic_sad:

Edited by kalos
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, kalos said:

Weathers getting a bit more breezy up at Leeds airport (no castle nearby ):classic_smile:

at landing (God loves a trier :classic_love: )  bet the passengers are having fun :classic_unsure:

Looks like been diverted to Birmingham Airport. 

29 minutes ago, kalos said:

I have flown into Leeds Bradford when it was bad weather, not an experience I would want to repeat, people were hanging onto the headrest of the seat in front of them 

Michelle

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Looks like been diverted to Birmingham Airport. 

Yes I tracked it in ,there's been a few today diverted .

16 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I have flown into Leeds Bradford when it was bad weather, not an experience I would want to repeat, people were hanging onto the headrest of the seat in front of them 

Michelle

It's one of the worst airports going when it comes to bad weather .Fog or wind ,give 

me DSA any day .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Strong, gusty winds here too this morning, but dry,  a little sun and surprising mild. Not as warm as Lanzarote, but I'll take what I can get. 

Nice to see you still posting Emma. I enjoy reading the exploits of your low-riders, they sound a real handful.

Isn't it nice and peaceful this morning?😊

Stay safe and warm everyone whatever your day entails.

Avril

Its a little breezy here Avril.

Graham.

IMG-20220216-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20220216-WA0013.jpg

IMG_20220216_211331.jpg

• Like 6