P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

A report on LBC just now from a large filling station in Chiswick. A dozen cars in the queue and 2 tankers waiting to unload. It may be that Grant Shapps was right after all. No real shortage, just a vast spike in demand. Plenty of carrots in the shop just now.🤣

Now there will be a shortage of donkeys to eat the carrots.  Oh hang on, they're in the queue at a garage in Chiswick 🤣

Edited by Son of Anarchy
  • Haha 2

On 9/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, grapau27 said:

It is currently 21°C and sunny.

We had a nice church service this morning then went out for lunch.

We are now having a coffee in the garden.

Take care and stay safe everyone 😷.

Graham.

IMG_20210926_122506.jpg

Blimey, you don't do things by halves Graham (except the chicken!) 😉

What's that next to the green beans, have you pinched a bit of Pauline's lunch?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that the government are not exploiting one of the 'apparent benefits' of Brexit and that is regularly reviewing how many people and for which job types we would allow visas. Given the current situation with a shortage in some sectors we should use this flexibility to best serve our nation, for the shorter term anyway, before longer term apparent local workforce solutions come to fruition. Seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I think that the government are not exploiting one of the 'apparent benefits' of Brexit and that is regularly reviewing how many people and for which job types we would allow visas. Given the current situation with a shortage in some sectors we should use this flexibility to best serve our nation, for the shorter term anyway, before longer term apparent local workforce solutions come to fruition. Seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

A bit of pragmatism would go a very long way to fix the short term issues then a proper strategy for longer term.

To their credit they are moving for HGV and meat processing at least but there are other major shortage areas.

Just now, Billish said:

Of course, if we didn't have to pay billions of pounds back to Brussels,  we would have  more resources to improve our social services, NHS etc.

I believe we are still paying billions to Brussels, not sure when our debt will be fully paid though.

However there is more being pumped into the NHS and social care, but of course it's unlikely to ever be enough.

Just now, terrierjohn said:

I believe we are still paying billions to Brussels, not sure when our debt will be fully paid though.

However there is more being pumped into the NHS and social care, but of course it's unlikely to ever be enough.

But surely the money would be better spent in the UK, rather than giving it to Brussels ? 

6 minutes ago, davecttr said:

You forgot Michael Fish

Yes I think it about time we changed the subject to the weather. The British conversational trope to avoid the rough and tumble of religion or politics.

Well done Dave.

So it’s wet here today and bitter cold!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Billish said:

But surely the money would be better spent in the UK, rather than giving it to Brussels ? 

You know darn well that this is part of our withdrawal agreement, if you had wanted to stay in the EU  I do believe you had the option of moving and seeking residency status in the EU.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes I think it about time we changed the subject to the weather. The British conversational trope to avoid the rough and tumble of religion or politics.

Well done Dave.

And here

• Like 2

Just now, Eglesbrech said:

Well done Dave.

Only up to 13c today and been raining heavily the past 3 hours although radar is showing that it has nearly past. Really autumnal. Wife wanted the heating on but she now has a fleece on !! Our house is well insulated so it is still 19c in here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well done Dave.

I can definitely feel the cold winds permeating through this thread🌀

Avril

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

We drove through your area a couple of weeks ago.

Any suggestions for good places to eat near the m6 for future reference?

It depends what you like and how far from the M6 you want to stray. Maybe Presto or  Josie could help. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I can definitely feel the cold winds permeating through this thread🌀

Avril

All because someone said there was a fuel shortage, hence the picture of the Lady filling up plastic water bottles with petrol at the Cobham services. I think it is all due to lack of leadership. Nobody told her how stupid it was. Using a brain of your own may help. Utter nincompoopery, Where's Wowzz?.

• Like 1

Well I have been posting most of the day because I have been stuck at home with a miserable cold (not covid, tested). 

My nose is red and runny, I am constantly coughing (not socially acceptable in this day and age), hot and then cold. Don’t know how I caught this as I don’t go out much but caught it I have.

I am sitting wrapped in a blanket with the heating on high and a pile of used hankies on the side table. The picture of misery - just as well you are all at the other end of a computer.

I need Kalos to provide some humour to cheer me up, he always does.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Perhaps I am too sheltered from the effects of living hand to mouth DG, like you I benefit from a gold plated pension, so it will take a lot for negative brexit issues to hurt me.

However I do believe that Boris is a one nation conservative and he does want to try and level up as much as possible, but there will always be more demands for improvements than there is tax revenue to provide it, especially in a pandemic.

'Levelling up' is unfortunately just one of those sound bites and there's no actual plan for it, and no system  in place for measuring what success would look like.

I see you acknowledge that there are negative effects of Brexit - and they are not difficult to see.  Every country in the world faces the same challenges as us, but we seem to be the only country that lurches from crisis to crisis. We've even managed to have two different crises  in one week, which must be some sort of record! 

I don't think any of us is insulated from this - we only have to go to the shops and see the gaps on the shelves, and less choice available. It's been like this for weeks, even though some people are still in deep denial about this.  Who is to say that the next crisis won't affect them - shortage of medicines for example.  None of us knows what will happen next - our old securities have been ripped away. 

We are in a constant state of flux and have inadequate leadership. I don't understand how some people think this is still ok

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

All because someone said there was a fuel shortage, hence the picture of the Lady filling up plastic water bottles with petrol at the Cobham services. I think it is all due to lack of leadership. Nobody told her how stupid it was. Using a brain of your own may help. Utter nincompoopery, Where's Wowzz?.

He's got better things to do zap, than pile in on this. Might be washing his wheelie bins🤫

Avril

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Filling up his empty wine bottles with petrol.

• Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Only up to 13c today and been raining heavily the past 3 hours although radar is showing that it has nearly past. Really autumnal. Wife wanted the heating on but she now has a fleece on !! Our house is well insulated so it is still 19c in here.

August seemed quite autumnal here, but September has mostly been lovely.  

But we've had rain on and off most of the day today. Tomorrow looks a bit better, so we should be able to get out for a while, so I won't have as much opportunity to get in trouble on here ! 

• Haha 2