P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

56 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We have found it -- very quiet, very doggy and even cat friendly, and very few children - infact the very small play area is a real hike from us so no problem 🙂 So excited now ....... funnily enough our 2 week cruise on Oceana is a distant memory and we just can not wait to go to beautiful Wales to just walk by the sea. 

Sounds ideal. Any clues that may lead to the name of the site?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Is that the one near the station? If so we have regular meetings there 🙂

It is the one where all the Potteries owners clubbed together to build.

I was there to visit a Doulton Factory the next day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

It is the one where all the Potteries owners clubbed together to build.

I was there to visit a Doulton Factory the next day.

That's the one - small world !!!!

Shame that Doulton only produce stuff abroad now 😞

8 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Sounds ideal. Any clues that may lead to the name of the site?

Errrrrr ----- The 'caravan park' is in Llanddulas and it is sited on ' the beach' 

They have many other places and their family name makes you think of something that roses have that hurt 

Not sure if that helps at all

2 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Quite right Harry, they use beef dripping/fat, in there fryers.

That's the real taste of fish & chips. Even better in newspaper. Not the same anymore now they use oil even, if it is healthier.

Avril 

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

That's the real taste of fish & chips. Even better in newspaper. Not the same anymore now they use oil even, if it is healthier.

Avril 

Surely it's still beef dripping round your way still, Avril?  I thought fish and chips in Yorkshire were unsaleable otherwise!

We both love fish and chips,  but only from places that use beef dripping.  I have a list! No beef dripping, no sale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Errrrrr ----- The 'caravan park' is in Llanddulas and it is sited on ' the beach' 

They have many other places and their family name makes you think of something that roses have that hurt 

Not difficult. Looks very nice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Surely it's still beef dripping round your way still, Avril?  I thought fish and chips in Yorkshire were unsaleable otherwise!

We both love fish and chips,  but only from places that use beef dripping.  I have a list! No beef dripping, no sale.

Not anymore Harry. Contrary to popular belief the majority of Barnsley folk are more health conscious than they used to be. Due to health issues my trusty chip pan went in the bin years ago. We still have chips, tossed in a little rapeseed oil and cooked in the oven. Not too bad actually.The REAL fish and chips are a distant memory now😔.

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

I'm not even playing this game of Written Charades , but I think I've sussed it. Do I get a prize? 😆

Avril 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Not anymore Harry. Contrary to popular belief the majority of Barnsley folk are more health conscious than they used to be. Due to health issues my trusty chip pan went in the bin years ago. We still have chips, tossed in a little rapeseed oil and cooked in the oven. Not too bad actually.The REAL fish and chips are a distant memory now😔.

Avril 

Avril, that's awful!  I suppose Cleethorpes is a bit far for a day out? Wowzz and I know a great place......😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Try using an air fryer makes brilliant chips which just a spray of oil

18 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Try using an air fryer makes brilliant chips which just a spray of oil

Never thought of that Baz. I've been cooking them in the oven for that long now. I'll have a look on Amazon. Thanks

Avril 

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Never thought of that Baz. I've been cooking them in the oven for that long now. I'll have a look on Amazon. Thanks

Avril 

Have you tried the rather good oven chips both McCains and Iceland do prepared with beef dripping. Both are good, but the Iceland ones are cheaper and better, though it's always a matter of personal taste.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-ridiculously-chunky-beef-dripping-skin-on-chips-900g/76869.html

Nothing matches chip shop chips though. 

Edited by Harry Peterson

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Always a Tolly Cobbold man myself.........which gives my age away.  

Such a shame what’s happened to good local breweries, with a few exceptions such as Adnams.  Microbreweries have at least redressed the balance, but the economic climate isn’t good for them.

The pub which we frequent the most often, at the junction of the rivers Trent and Idle brews it's own beer, and it's really excellent.

http://www.theidlebrewery.co.uk/

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Bee sands?. They hurt😂

55 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Have you tried the rather good oven chips both McCains and Iceland do prepared with beef dripping. Both are good, but the Iceland ones are cheaper and better, though it's always a matter of personal taste.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-ridiculously-chunky-beef-dripping-skin-on-chips-900g/76869.html

Nothing matches chip shop chips though. 

I do my own chips Harry. I don't buy oven chips. I've tried them but we're not keen. I sometimes mix sweet potatoes in with them as well. Really nice, but as you say, there's nothing like beef dripping fried chip shop chips. Thanks Harry, now I'm hungry and it's a bit late to cook some chips.😁

Avril 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I do my own chips Harry. I don't buy oven chips. I've tried them but we're not keen. I sometimes mix sweet potatoes in with them as well. Really nice, but as you say, there's nothing like beef dripping fried chip shop chips. Thanks Harry, now I'm hungry and it's a bit late to cook some chips.😁

Avril 

Avril

So do I

Use maries piper potatoes, and par cook in the deep fat fryer, leave to stand for a time and then back into the hot fat to cook and colour fully.

We do not have them often these days, but are nice when we do

12 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Avril

So do I

Use maries piper potatoes, and par cook in the deep fat fryer, leave to stand for a time and then back into the hot fat to cook and colour fully.

We do not have them often these days, but are nice when we do

That's how I did mine. It makes them lovely and crispy. Oh 'eck, we got to stop talking about chips.😣 I'm going to bed before I put the oven on. Nite mercury 😴 

Avril 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

A well known Dutch brand is the best one more expensive but less hassle, also we par boil them first makes it quicker and more fluffy chips

Edited by Bazrat

7 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

That's how I did mine. It makes them lovely and crispy. Oh 'eck, we got to stop talking about chips.😣 I'm going to bed before I put the oven on. Nite mercury 😴 

Avril 

My OH parboils them, then sprinkled with olive oil and oregano and baked in oven.Courgette and aubergine chips cooked in the oven are lovely also.

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

My OH parboils them, then sprinkled with olive oil and oregano and baked in oven.Courgette and aubergine chips cooked in the oven are lovely also.

No wonder you had to scarper to Italy Brian... 

You would get lynched for even mentioning Oregano on chips in Hornchurch... Salt & vinegar, full stop.. 

What has Japanese paper folding got to do with chips anyway? 😊

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

No wonder you had to scarper to Italy Brian... 

You would get lynched for even mentioning Oregano on chips in Hornchurch... Salt & vinegar, full stop.. 

What has Japanese paper folding got to do with chips anyway? 😊

Andy 

I still put the Sarsons on,does that count.Rosemary is quite nice also.Go on ask who's Rosemary,lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

I still put the Sarsons on,does that count.Rosemary is quite nice also.Go on ask who's Rosemary,lol.

I do know that "love grows where my Rosemary goes".

10 points to the first one to name the group - no Google! 

• Like 2