P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thanks for the details and lovely photo.

I'm booked on Enchanted Princess in October so I'm very interested, although I expect her to be similar to Sky Princess, which we sailed in March.

We've just boarded Arcadia, deluxe balcony and although everything is very clean, it feels dowdy after Sky Princess. I can tell we have a family with 'excited' children next door and they appear to be door slammers to boot. I'm sure it will be wonderful nonetheless 😉.

I wish you a happy, covid-free cruise.

Arcadia…….family!!!!!!

2 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

We've just boarded Arcadia, deluxe balcony and although everything is very clean, it feels dowdy after Sky Princess.

Do you mean Ventura which has just departed  as the Arcadia left Southampton the other day

and is in Torbay on new crew training at the moment ? :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
highlight
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

We've just boarded Arcadia, deluxe balcony and although everything is very clean, it feels dowdy after Sky Princess.

We have sailed in both ships,  and totally agree with you.

Arcadia just seems very tired and unloved.

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

To make dinner reservations, view and book shore excursions, view drink menus I suppose. No paper copies and therefore no drop off boxes for booking shorex. 

Just an observation from our recent Princess cruise,  with the majority of the passengers being American.

I don't think they were doing anything relevant to the cruise.

We saw the same fixation regarding phones - however,  I think it is a cultural thing. The Americans were constantly checking the news, sports results, family updates etc. 

They just seem to be obsessed with being connected, rather than taking the opportunity to cut  off from reality whilst on holiday. 

Apologies to the 7 Americans who read this thread !

5 hours ago, kalos said:

Do you mean Ventura which has just departed  as the Arcadia left Southampton the other day

Nice catch !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/23/2022 at 8:48 AM, gsmt47471015 said:

Was hoping the heat would continue to Saturday as going to see Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons Saturday night ,       and its outside🤔  And if it could be nice next week that would be useful as going to a cottage in the Yorkshire dales for four nights👍   

Morning all ,well it had to happen , no rain for ten days and you go to an open air concert and it rains, heavily, but at least Frankie Valli put on a really great show , he may not be able to move like he did but he can still hold a tune , he had over seven thousand people on their feet singing and dancing, drove home (four miles) and it hadn't rained a drop all night, should have held it in our garden!!!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Morning all ,well it had to happen , no rain for ten days and you go to an open air concert and it rains, heavily, but at least Frankie Valli put on a really great show , he may not be able to move like he did but he can still hold a tune , he had over seven thousand people on their feet singing and dancing, drove home (four miles) and it hadn't rained a drop all night, should have held it in our garden!!!!! 

I saw Frankie Valli in Peterborough around 1977, and he was old then !

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I saw Frankie Valli in Peterborough around 1977, and he was old then !

We saw them at Warner's on the Isle of Wight a few years back. Surprised how young they were. Late 20's at a guess.🤣🤔

17 hours ago, kalos said:

Lol, you are correct of course!  I was due to go on a cancelled Arcadia cruise in May but am now on Ventura notching up the (minor) gripes 😄

• Like 3

On 6/24/2022 at 9:01 AM, brian1 said:

Hi all,thought we'd go to Basingstoke for a couple of days next week to see SIL and husband.Went to book car hire,£100 per day,no way Jose,back in May it was £250 for 7 days.Letting the train and freedom pass take the strain.Zone 6 to Basingstone return for 2 £72 and buses from there.Just a couple of cabs to Premier inn from SIL £12 per trip.No brainer,these firms are gonna go bust at those rates.Rant over,cheers, Brian.

Just got back from Sevenoaks after spending the weekend with our daughter.Weekender return for 2 £11.60.Even if we had our car it would have been £5 Dartford crossing and minimum 1 gallon of diesel £10.

• Like 4

Not a good start to the week, my wife has tested positive, seems those she was with on a course last week didn’t just have hay fever like they said, as she and 3 others have all tested positive this morning. 🤬

Be careful out there. 

• Like 4

Hope she gets well soon

ONS is saying 1 in 40 infected now

Showery day here, but generally fine.  No plans, except keeping up with the cricket from Leeds, once the rain clears there

I enjoyed the bits of Glastonbury I saw - McCartney mostly.  Hope I’m that fit at 80; I’ll certainly never have the musical talent.  Ironic that he was performing till midnight and I was in bed before he started his set, so I had to record & catch up yesterday

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Not a good start to the week, my wife has tested positive, seems those she was with on a course last week didn’t just have hay fever like they said, as she and 3 others have all tested positive this morning. 🤬

Be careful out there. 

Hope she’s not too unwell, and makes a good recovery.

In the last week I’ve  heard of at least 7 people who have tested positive and all of them had avoided it for the last two and a half years. 

• Like 5

On 6/25/2022 at 5:56 PM, gsmt47471015 said:

Lets hope they quieten down as the excitement subsides, however our dealings with door slammers, no matter where, is they don't consider other people either through ignorance or habit , personally it is something we never have and never will do, no matter what time of day or night it is .Hope you enjoy Arcadia although  its probably an understatement that she may feel a little "outdated " after Sky Princess. Happy sailing!!

I got it wrong and I am on Ventura not Arcadia and, I'm on Enchanted in August and not October as I previously mentioned 🤭. My good news is that the door slamming stopped and the children's enthusiasm was just initial excitement, but we're pretty laid back about crying babies (cabin on the other side of us 😄) and children generally - we're usually just thankful that on this occasion they are nothing to do with us!

Currently we are sitting at a pavement café in Santander, churros and coffee for me and beer for DH. All is good in my world, but I have had conversations with 2 lots of mild mannered people who were very disappointed in what they see as cut backs on P&O. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Be careful out there. 

Sorry to hear this. Hope she only has mild symptoms and recovers quickly 

Michelle

Morning everyone, hope you are all well today. It appears cloudy and breezy here at the moment.

Not a good start to the morning, just knocked a cup of tea all over the bed. Bedding now in wash and got to take duvet now to laundry as soon as they open as it’s a super king and too big for my washer.

Not much planned today otherwise apart from shopping and dog walking and possibly a trip to the gym

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry to hear this. Hope she only has mild symptoms and recovers quickly 

Michelle

Thank you, she only has the cough as a noticeable symptom and painful chest and back which is probably the result of the cough. She has probably slept about 18 hrs in the last 24. I haven’t tested myself today as yet, With high pollen difficult to determine whether Hay fever or something else.

It is noticeable however 2 individuals on the course who are believed to have attended whilst positive are keeping quiet, the others are understandably angry, as all but one have now test positive. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Thank you, she only has the cough as a noticeable symptom and painful chest and back which is probably the result of the cough. She has probably slept about 18 hrs in the last 24. I haven’t tested myself today as yet, With high pollen difficult to determine whether Hay fever or something else.

It is noticeable however 2 individuals on the course who are believed to have attended whilst positive are keeping quiet, the others are understandably angry, as all but one have now test positive. 

Hope she recovers quickly, and that you stay clear. Really selfish behaviour there, particularly given the hugely increased infectivity of the latest variants. It’s spreading like wildfire, and the infection rates are going up again surprisingly fast at a time of year when you’d expect them not to be.

Not everyone is safe from serious illness, and not everyone gets protection from the vaccines. There’s a drug called Evusheld, from AstraZeneca, which would help enormously and allow half a million people plus their families to return to some semblance of normality, and stop having to shield. It’s been approved for use in the UK by the MHRA, but the government is currently coming up with every excuse under the sun not to actually fund or provide it.  Blood Cancer UK and various other charities are doing their utmost (https://getevusheld.uk/) and we have an active group in touch with MPs across the country, and what’s really interesting is that when all the governmental responses are pooled and shared they all tell a completely different and contradictory story.

As you said in your original post - be careful out there. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

It is noticeable however 2 individuals on the course who are believed to have attended whilst positive are keeping quiet

I suppose the key question is, did they know they were positive at the time ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think one problem at the moment is that often people would sooner not test to see if they have covid as it might spoil their plans etc if they only mild symptoms particularly as you have to pay for tests.Sometimes people genuinely think that because it's usually just like a cold it doesn't matter if others catch it.Unfortunately it seems to be another product of the ,Me, culture  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Apparently it appears they did know but kept quiet about it as they had paid for course. 

Edited by Snow Hill