P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

To be fair, how can anyone possibly understand the complexity of all this dross:

BBC News - Covid rules: How much of the UK is now under some sort of lockdown?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52934822

The PM certainly can't!

But in fairness Harry, he doesn't really need to know since he is chauffeured everywhere, and as yet London is not subject to the extra measures that we naughty northerners are now subjected to. 

PS I read the last line of Graham's post as Graveyard, rather than Garden/Yard, it puzzled me for a minute thinking they were now applying this to Zombies as well.:classic_huh:

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But in fairness Harry, he doesn't really need to know since he is chauffeured everywhere, and as yet London is not subject to the extra measures that we naughty northerners are now subjected to. 

PS I read the last line of Graham's post as Graveyard, rather than Garden/Yard, it puzzled me for a minute thinking they were now applying this to Zombies as well.:classic_huh:

I read it as graveyard too 😂

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think I’ll need to send away for one of those cocktails myself. Coffee and almonds sounds delicious 

On the ship it’s quite creamy, I didn’t fancy it when the sea was rough! My friend calls it ‘John’s special milk’ when she sees photos of him drinking it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Rain hitting the roof in our conservatory sounds good.

Long time since I heard rain noise on a caravan or tent.

Just to reminisce,  about 30 years ago we had a long day in our narrow boat travelling no distance at all,  but with lots of locks, in pouring rain.  We finally moored up for the night, in the middle of nowhere, eating a casserole that had been cooking all afternoon, with a few glasses of wine, as the rain continued to pour down. 

And, in all honesty, it was fantastic! Tired from the locks, warm from the shower onboard,  full from the stew, and no one around, and drinks with my wife. 

Forget all this aft suite nonsense - enjoy the simpler pleasures of life.

(Mind you, 30 years later I might prefer the suite!)

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

On the ship it’s quite creamy, I didn’t fancy it when the sea was rough! My friend calls it ‘John’s special milk’ when she sees photos of him drinking it!

I had a bad experience with vodka when I was in my teens, and never wanted to try it again. But I love anything with coffee flavouring, so I feel quite keen to try this cocktail. 

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Loo blue, those were the days.

The cassettes were a vast improvement, much more discrete.

Our narrow boat had a cassette toilet. I spent ages deciding how far we could go in between "emptying". 

Fortunately,  Lady W was somewhat sluggish in the bowel area, which meant that we could travel further between discharge  areas.  (Apolgies if you are eating)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Anyone want to discuss the pre cassette toilets, our first trip 4am we was woken by this horrendous noise a nimrod flying overhead to do a sortie, in the morning the nice lady in the shop said don’t worry you’ll get used to it.

My parents had a static caravan from1951, till they left us so I have seen things progress. Gas lamps with the cloth mantle, water in jugs communal loos. Then in the early 60's a car battery to power the B&W telly. Then they got mains drainage and electricity. Thems were the days🤣. Their first one was made of plywood.

Edited by zap99
Added
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I had a bad experience with vodka when I was in my teens, and never wanted to try it again. But I love anything with coffee flavouring, so I feel quite keen to try this cocktail. 

Had a nasty experience mixing red wine and vodka many years ago. Took the only sensible decision - never drank vodka since.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Had a nasty experience mixing red wine and vodka many years ago. Took the only sensible decision - never drank vodka since.

I had a similar experience in my youth with Scotch and coke. I fixed it by knocking the coke on the head.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

My parents had a static caravan from1951, till they left us so I have seen things progress. Gas lamps with the cloth mantle, water in jugs communal loos. Then in the early 60's a car battery to power the B&W telly. Then they got mains drainage and electricity. Thems were the days🤣

My wife tells me of the days staying in St Osyth in a caravan, when, every morning a chap would come round with a "tank"  into which you would pour your "ahem" waste products from your bucket.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

I had a similar experience in my youth with Scotch and coke. I fixed it by knocking the coke on the head.😁

Sensible decision. After one sip of Coke back in the 70s, I've never drunk it since. Just sweet and artificial tasting - how and why do people drink it?

12 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ll let you know how it compares to a P&O one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

No comment! 

Seriously, never been tempted. Beer and wine have always been my drugs of choice. (And Pringles)

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

No comment! 

Seriously, never been tempted. Beer and wine have always been my drugs of choice. (And Pringles)

Same here. Too much respect for health and money.

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

It was well worth it Brian, something we always wanted to do.

We had champagne afternoon tea which was excellent.

Dinner in the restaurant was fantastic too.

Sounds great,just me being cheesy.We paid for our daughter and husband to have afternoon tea there on their anniversary a few years ago,cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

My wife tells me of the days staying in St Osyth in a caravan, when, every morning a chap would come round with a "tank"  into which you would pour your "ahem" waste products from your bucket.

That must have been a crappy job.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

St Osyth?  Has she been back lately?  How it's changed.  Jaywick's an interesting place too.

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

We went to London to celebrate my 50th in autumn 2014 and loved the Tower poppies. Alas we had to make do with a Premier Inn but we did have afternoon tea at the Ritz!

Our best afternoon tea experience was on the Diamond Princess in 2012.It was our 2nd cruise,the first being in 2007.We saw tea being advertised in the MDR so went in for a cuppa,lol.Waiters in tails and white gloves,a string quartet playing and an amazing selection of everything.A superb unexpected experience.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Did you have the old gauze gas mantles that went pop pop pop, it was a very relaxing sound but they were in really fragile.

The other interesting sound was the whale pump for water in older caravans.

When I was a gas board apprentice at Stepney,there was a bloke whose sole job was to look after and change the mantels on the gas lights on Tower bridge.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sensible decision. After one sip of Coke back in the 70s, I've never drunk it since. Just sweet and artificial tasting - how and why do people drink it?

Easy, you just pour it in your mouth and swallow 😉 Great mixed with Captain Morgans spiced rum and some lemonade plus a crushed orange slice or two .

I do not recommend cider with vodka chasers, it sent me crazy so I gave it up 50 years ago. Eeek it has been that long 😱😱😱

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ardennais said:

We were there a few days after you on August 28th, a month before my birthday. The children marvelled at the toilets so I had to take some photos! Why would someone want to read the papers there??!

Ha ha ha, but not just any old papers ...... no Daily Mirror/Sun in there!!  I too was fascinated by the loos on my visits.

We lived in the south east for many years and would occasionally go to the Ritz for Sunday lunch.  It was a real bargain compared with the afternoon tea experience IMO and the dining room was wonderful.  Don't know if it is still a bargain though and too far away to take advantage in any case.

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I did try Lager many years ago it had a bear on the front of the pump so I thought it must be good, how wrong was I

Sounds like a pint of Hofmeister ?

Anyway, let me guess "You Woke Up With A Head Like A Bear With A sore Head " :classic_unsure:

Edited by kalos
  • Haha 1