P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

5 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's better Avril, :classic_smile: The problem with being sad is it makes others sad around you .Then your sad because they are sad, which makes them sadder still .Once you realise this this makes you really sad ,so you end up going to bed sad, getting up the next morning sad . You sit there thinking how did I get this sad? Maybe I made the family sad but why was I sad, can you even remember what made you sad? Then you remember you feel better when your not sad ,that now makes you feel happy ............  ....At last! :classic_biggrin:   PS What tomatoes do you grow ?  Plum or ready chopped :classic_unsure:

ecb74289e306e94d1e5d1ad45604e1c4.gif.e70b86743b737bc4f326525f7a7898fb.gif

Lovely attitude Kalos.

The last 10 months without cruising and holidays has got most of us depressed but the friendship on here has helped enormously for me and hopefully everyone else.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just don't mention tipping, dress code or how standards have dropped.. 😊

I don't care if the dress code is baggy shorts, scruffy t-shirt, flip-flops and a knotted hankie on the head for the men and curlers, wrap-around pinny and wrinkled stockings and slippers for women. just get me on a cruise.    Pleeeease🙏

Avril

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't care if the dress code is baggy shorts, scruffy t-shirt, flip-flops and a knotted hankie on the head for the men and curlers, wrap-around pinny and wrinkled stockings and slippers for women. just get me on a cruise.    Pleeeease🙏

Avril

+1.👍😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

When I first joined this forum, the tone was constantly negative, not reflective of the lovely people we had met onboard at all... 

I know we still have the spiky ones, but scratch the surface and we are all good people. 

Just don't mention tipping, dress code or how standards have dropped.. 😊

Andy 

I’d never seen a forum prior to booking my first cruise.  Neither had I paid attention to any TV programmes on cruise ships

After booking I read a few forum posts and watched (tried to watch) 2 episodes from a series on a Costa ship 😳

We embarked with a great deal of trepidation ... and found that cruise ships are overwhelmingly populated by lovely, friendly, helpful people

10 years later and I am quite content that cruise forums do not necessarily reflect cruise passengers** and that it is incredibly unlikely that I will ever take a Costa cruise

**present company/thread excepted, of course

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

We did that sailing a few years back .It was a short cruise and the staff & captain was lovely but that was about it . I didn't like it . No welcome aboard drink ,no sail away party , no party atmosphere at all.

No food offered , even the other passengers never dressed up and barely spoke. I told the Mrs we were overdressed, only me dressed for Black Tie night with my little union jack flag , try as I might nobody would join in with me singing 🎶 We Are Sailing 🎶. You just know when it's just not right for you , maybe some would like it but it's not for me . Never again , Birkenhead ferry crossing  is just not for me :classic_unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

51 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We love cruising and would get on any ship regardless of size if the itinerary was appealing and they have balcony cabins.

I'm not quite that keen Graham, reluctant to spend thousands on something we might not enjoy.

Some our our best holidays were self drive tours in younger years, we came to cruising relatively late in life but have enjoyed it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve looked at the Cunard board over the years, and have often found the comments from the dress code police to be very off putting.

However, I know that people who post on forums are a tiny amount of people that go on cruises.

I’ve also learnt that from my cruises on CMV and Fred Olsen, that  the cruise crowd in general are similar on whatever cruise line you go on when sailing from Southampton.

my next cruise in booked on Cunard’s Queen Victoria, in May 2022, and if it proceeds, I have no qualms whatsoever, based on the Cunard forum! 

Like elsewhere in life, they are a tiny but vociferous minority on the Cunard board. A few years ago, they spent long, weary weeks debating self-tied vs. ready-tied bow ties and some bright spark tried to resurrect that debate recently. Funnily enough, you never meet these people on board.🙂

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, kalos said:

We did that sailing a few years back .It was a short cruise and the staff & captain was lovely but that was about it . I didn't like it . No welcome aboard drink ,no sail away party , no party atmosphere at all.

No food offered , even the other passengers never dressed up and barely spoke. I told the Mrs we were overdressed, only me dressed for Black Tie night with my little union jack flag , try as I might nobody would join in with me singing 🎶 We Are Sailing 🎶. You just know when it's just not right for you , maybe some would like it but it's not for me . Never again , Birkenhead ferry crossing  is just not for me :classic_unsure:

When we were in Liverpool we did the Ferry Across The Mersey.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I'm not quite that keen Graham, reluctant to spend thousands on something we might not enjoy.

Some our our best holidays were self drive tours in younger years, we came to cruising relatively late in life but have enjoyed it.

To add.

Any Royal Caribbean ship.

Any Princess ship.

Any P&O ship.

Hotel holidays in Orlando, Tenerife,Costa del sol or any Spanish island.

Don't fancy Costa,Fred Olsen or Saga.

Edited by grapau27

10 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Like elsewhere in life, they are a tiny but vociferous minority on the Cunard board. A few years ago, they spent long, weary weeks debating self-tied vs. ready-tied bow ties and some bright spark tried to resurrect that debate recently. Funnily enough, you never meet these people on board.🙂

Apparently the Queen can spot a ready tied bow tie at about a mile.  Must have gone to Specsavers!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I'm 64,have HBP and had a heart attack a year ago so fortunately I am semi retired and needed the rest and stopped in bed because I was too weak after losing 7lbs in weight,was constantly tired and had little sense of taste, headache, lightheadedness etc.

I was told to isolate for 10 days after my positive test but told to isolate longer if I wasn't well enough.

If he goes back to work too soon he might still have the virus and risk passing it on to his work mates so hopefully his employer will take this onboard.

I’m not going to let him go back too early but he HATES being off sick. 
We will see how he is later in the week. So unlike him just sitting still all day 😟

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We love cruising and would get on any ship regardless of size if the itinerary was appealing and they have balcony cabins.

We book  any line solely on destinations, normally inside cabins  as we only sleep there.

Once we got spoiled ; booked an inside on Oceania and got upgraded to balcony

which had a full bathroom.  We only booked as it was one of the very few  ways

to get to Easter Island  and we were really lucky as we were able to get ashore

for both days we were there. Often they cant  get ashore at all and many lines

only do a sailpast.  There were quite a few who  hadnt booked a shore excursion

and its  some way to see the sites so the captain did a sailpast as well and  I

was pleased we had paid for the landing as you could see very little from the ship.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m not going to let him go back too early but he HATES being off sick. 
We will see how he is later in the week. So unlike him just sitting still all day 😟

That was me before my heart attack.

I was using the weight machines on Grand Princess every day of our 15 day cruise in November.

Sometimes it pays to take it easy but good for John if he is well enough to get back to work quickly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

To add.

Any Royal Caribbean ship.

Any Princess ship.

Any P&O ship.

Hotel holidays in Orlando, Tenerife,Costa del sol or any Spanish island.

Don't fancy Costa,Fred Olsen or Saga.

Only ever cruised  Celebrity and Azamara but travelled extensively all over the world.

A little past long haul now, hence considering cruising from the UK. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I usually sport a spinning polka dot electric one. Even the Queen can’t work out whether it’s ready tied or not.

I have my favourite starter L'escargot here too.

I always fasten my tie knot every time I put a tie on.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210114_213951_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, its taken me an age to catch up on posts. Hello from a grey, miserable Stoke on Trent. Have been working from home for chunks of the week and hardly been outside as the weather has been grim. Been for a walk this morning and it was just good to get out into the fresh air. Have worked more in one day than the last 3 !

Glad I missed the EU arguments - I would have had to sit on my hands 🙂 🙂 🙂 

Hope you are all well - keep smiling, the buds are coming out on our shrubs and bulbs appearing so Spring must be on the way. 😉

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I’d never seen a forum prior to booking my first cruise.  Neither had I paid attention to any TV programmes on cruise ships

After booking I read a few forum posts and watched (tried to watch) 2 episodes from a series on a Costa ship 😳

We embarked with a great deal of trepidation ... and found that cruise ships are overwhelmingly populated by lovely, friendly, helpful people

10 years later and I am quite content that cruise forums do not necessarily reflect cruise passengers** and that it is incredibly unlikely that I will ever take a Costa cruise

**present company/thread excepted, of course

I could have written that post word for word Eddie. Ten years ago we also took our first ever cruise with the same research?😉 and nervousness. Apart from saying 'Yes' to Frank it's the best thing I've done. 

Avril

• Like 1