P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I caught an interesting programme today on Discovery channel about Herculaneum near Naples and Pompeii. I wish I had seen it before I went there a few years ago but it did bring back some memories of a fascinating place that Vesuvius put paid to 2000 years ago. 

Been to Pompeii. Amazing place, to think that it has all been excavated.

2 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

Just finished watching a programme on the Titanic conspiracy not being the Titanic that sank. I found it fascinating. All the evidence is there, that the ship which actually sank was her sister the Olympic. Right up to the final photo of the wreckage on the ocean floor, that sealed it for me, evidence beyond any doubt. Insurance fraud. It was on CCXTV if it gets repeated its worth a watch.

Did they explain away all the people buried in Halifax NS?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I caught an interesting programme today on Discovery channel about Herculaneum near Naples and Pompeii. I wish I had seen it before I went there a few years ago but it did bring back some memories of a fascinating place that Vesuvius put paid to 2000 years ago. 

Didn't see that, but we did visit Herculaneum not so long ago. Even more interesting than Pompeii in many ways, and a lot less crowded.  Vesuvius was amazing - still active, of course, and one of these days........

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

End of conversation, I just thought that some of you would find it interesting like I did, but hey ho!!

Chill out Rupert we were all having a laugh about the Titanic ,not you .

If it gets aired again I would watch it .  

Keep smiling and take care :classic_smile:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, pete14 said:

We loved Pompeii and would go again if we could to see more of it. We would like to see Herculaneum too and were told it is more interesting as it was better preserved, because of the layer of lava over the ash. Did you ever wonder what they did with all the ash they excavated from the sites? Frank did and asked the guide, they make it into bricks. Recycling at it's best

Avril

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We loved Pompeii and would go again if we could to see more of it. We would like to see Herculaneum too and were told it is more interesting as it was better preserved, because of the layer of lava over the ash. Did you ever wonder what they did with all the ash they excavated from the sites? Frank did and asked the guide, they make it into bricks. Recycling at it's best

Avril

We were booked to go to Naples on Azura last May.  Ummed and ahhed over whether to do Pompeii or Herculaneum, and researched to see whether we could do something with Viator that did both on the same day.  Obviously that got a stop put to it ☹️.  Hopefully get to try again....sometime 🤞

Edited by Son of Anarchy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Pozzolana is still used in concrete today. As is PFA ,Pulverised fuel ash.

55 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

It is amazingly well preserved. I can’t compare it to Pompeii because I haven’t been there. Apparently, most of the residents fled and survived but obviously hundreds did not. I was surprised to see that they have left quite a lot of skeletons exactly where they died, which made it more thought provoking and sad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

PFA will soon be a thing of the past with the closure of all the Coal Fired Power Stations.

How right you are. Similar with blast furnace slag. Strangely enough PFA was marketed as a green material as the actual product used less energy than cement. Folks forgot about where it came from, conveniently.

Visited Pompeii many years ago and found it interesting.  I haven't visited Herculaneum but it is on my bucket list -  I too have heard many times that it is better than Pompeii. One day . . .

Clear blue sky, sunny, cold and frosty here.  Beautiful day looking through the windows but it's cold. Our coldest day so far this winter  at 0 deg with a feel of -2. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Clear blue sky, sunny, cold and frosty here.  Beautiful day looking through the windows but it's cold. Our coldest day so far this winter  at 0 deg with a feel of -2. 

Exactly the same here couldnt have given a better description but as with many things it comes at a cost:

M55 westbound between junctions 1 and 3A crash on the M55 westbound has led all to ALL traffic being stopped between junctions 1 (Fulwood) a..

Good morning on this bright sunny morning where the temperature is now back into positive figures we now have one 1.c with a chill of -5.c

Reading the papers this morning I came across a post that had me smiling .

Up over the borders in bonnie Scotland they have got this winter weather snow sussed . The powers that be have advised ,same as us Stay in -Save lives but have gone one step further or should I say "Waddle" ? :classic_unsure: They have now advised people when out in snow to walk like a penguin !! 

Apparently this will take the strain off the Scottish NHS and to be fair I have never come across a penguin in the A&E requiring treatment , so it may just work.  Maybe we should all go out into our gardens and practice this walk for when the bad snowy weather comes our way ?  I think , if it works then it's a good idea and will keep the folk up there in good stead until the good weather returns.

If and when they get a heat wave  and the Tarmac is melting on their paths then they could possibly begin to  🎶 Walk Like An Egyptian 🎶 :classic_unsure:

However you decide to walk I hope you all have a nice day and ..Take care and Stay safe :classic_smile:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

A lovely crisp and sunny day in my little corner of the country, and 3c, but tipped to be a balmy 6c as the day goes on. I'd better make the most of it, it's forecast to go downhill from here on out.

Avril

Better start practicing 'The Penguin Waddle' Kalos. What tune do you recommend?😄

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 2