Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

24 minutes ago, nordski said:

This post is for Mackdogmolly as it pertains to a discussion we were having on another thread.

As she surmised, there are rather ridiculous trade barriers between the provinces although I don’t know the details re: wines and alcohols.

The sale of these products is also very different as they are not available at a dépanneur as in Québec. 

We were very aware of Buffalo as it was the source of the three American TV networks that kept us entertained. I am not very familiar with East Aurora, as it didn’t seem to enjoy a nightly house fire that would be the lede on every episode of Irv Weinstein’s Eyewitness News.

I must point out that I think it will soon be more difficult for Canadians to cross the border than vice versa. No slipping across to enjoy a “Jenny” at a bar.

I grew up in Buffalo and I agree with you at present it may be more difficult for Canadians to enter the US.  But rules could change.  Indeed, with Covid test requirement not many US day trippers will go to Canada for Chinese food, shop in Niagara on the Lake, or sight see the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.   I have read about provincial trade barriers being greater than US/Canada trade barriers.

14 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

I grew up in Buffalo and I agree with you at present it may be more difficult for Canadians to enter the US.  But rules could change.  Indeed, with Covid test requirement not many US day trippers will go to Canada for Chinese food, shop in Niagara on the Lake, or sight see the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.   I have read about provincial trade barriers being greater than US/Canada trade barriers.

I agree. Probably not a lot of day trippers coming across. As it is for cruising, tough times for those in the tourism business.

Our daughter spent a week at Sherkston Beach and it was very quiet as Americans, many of whom live in Buffalo, were absent

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

The trade barriers extend to the US, as well, as I have not seen the excellent Ontario wines in either Quebec or Vermont

Paging Mackdogmolly - don't get too excited just yet.   Have you seen the requirements to get into Canada?   Maybe it will be easier for you since you are close to the border, but we will be on the road just under 72 hours before we plan to enter Canada.   And if the timing isn't perfect and we get to the border too late......

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada#getting-tested

And you have to register at ArriveCAN   https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/splash-arrivecan.html

😔

1 hour ago, the mice said:

Paging Mackdogmolly - don't get too excited just yet.   Have you seen the requirements to get into Canada?   Maybe it will be easier for you since you are close to the border, but we will be on the road just under 72 hours before we plan to enter Canada.   And if the timing isn't perfect and we get to the border too late......

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada#getting-tested

And you have to register at ArriveCAN   https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/splash-arrivecan.html

😔

Unfortunately, I have, and although we have tons of free testing sites in Vermont, it can take 2-5days to get results. And to get a rapid PCR test is $$. I am also not sure what the reentry requirements to the US will be 🙁

4 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Unfortunately, I have, and although we have tons of free testing sites in Vermont, it can take 2-5days to get results. And to get a rapid PCR test is $$. I am also not sure what the reentry requirements to the US will be 🙁

Yes, I was just thinking about the reentry requirements and wondering what they might be.  

Oh, and they require plans for possible quarantine in case you get a (false) positive.  

I had been thinking about adding on a day at the beginning of our trip but that would really add to the stress of all this.  DH was always a  bit of a reluctant traveler  but by 2018 I had finally got him to turn that corner.  Now with 2 years of no travel, who knows.  This won't be fun if I have to make him jump through a bunch of hoops.  Thank goodness I accomplished my 70th birthday trip of 5 weeks in Australia and New Zealand in October 2019.

My biggest concern is the turnaround time on the tests which could really mess things up. Not the stress one needs.  Remember when travel was FUN?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the mice said:

My biggest concern is the turnaround time on the tests which could really mess things up. Not the stress one needs.  Remember when travel was FUN?

Yes, that is absolutely my biggest concern too. We have already purchased our season tickets to Opera de Montreal and are now worried about actually getting over the border.

We aren't leaving until 3rd week in September, so I guess we can see what happens in the interim and figure out the testing situation.  It's just that we are leaving on a Tuesday am, and plan to cross the border on Thursday pm.  So that means getting the test done late Monday- seems everything here is by appointment, so who knows if there are late appointments.  My worry is getting stuck at the border crossing and being outside the 72 hour limit - well, that, and just getting the results once we are on the road.  

I might be rethinking this trip.......   Hope you can make it go more smoothly for yourself.

If we can't make it across the border, we might have to look you up in VT.   😁

14 hours ago, the mice said:

BTW, I just saw that the ArriveCAN application fee is $65.   Not trying to make your day......

I live 12 miles from the Canada border, but I can wait until the fees are gone.

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Well, ugh! Our first opera is on 9/25. It may end up being a no-go.

Well, ugh! Our first opera is on 9/25. It may end up being a no-go.

Well, we are a no-go now because DH has announced quite firmly that he does not want to travel anytime soon. He just doesn't feel comfortable what with the uptick in cases and variants.  No point in arguing about his feelings.  However,  I have negotiated traveling around NY state within a day's drive if we ( meaning he) want to return home.  I will see what I can come up with.  He also just had a conversation  with a well traveled neighbor who took a short road trip in-state and said it was very limiting and not convenient eating out,etc.  There goes my 6 nights across the border.  C'est la vie.  I 'm sure most of my free hotel nights are going to end up expiring.  Atleast it wasn't real money.  I had been hoping to use this as a springboard for a trip to Longwood Gardens during the Christmas season and a few days in Washington, DC but that doesn't seem feasible now.  Remains to be seen.

So first cruise scheduled for October 2022 on Onward.  Prior to that we have planned a private week's tour in Italy for next April, and the guide will not require any deposit until next year so we can see how things go.  Very generous offer.  We might add on another small group tour for 10 days with a different guide, depending on schedule, but will get appropriate travel insurance if we do add that on.  DH is willing to commit to this since it is further off in time.

Not always easy when your partner doesn't quite share your travel gene, but we've made it work for 36 years so we'll get through this too. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, the mice said:

Not always easy when your partner doesn't quite share your travel gene, but we've made it work for 36 years so we'll get through this too. 

Mine is not as crazy about it either, but it’s mostly just getting to the destination. Once there, he’s fine.

7 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Mine is not as crazy about it either, but it’s mostly just getting to the destination. Once there, he’s fine.

In normal times he's been fine, especially since we retired and no longer have the worries about work.   But now it is just his anxiety about COVID, so I have to try to respect his feelings and make  the  best of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the mice said:

Betsey, One more thing.  Will you have to do that ArriveCan thing each time you want to go to the opera?  I am assuming so, so that will be an expensive pain.  Sheesh.

I believe you only have to do the application once (and one per household). At least that’s how I read it.

I believe you only have to do the application once (and one per household). At least that’s how I read it.

Ok, but still have to do the testing for each border crossing, correct?   

Come to Maine – no border crossing rules, no vaccination proof required, no masks, everything open.  Very crowded in Acadia NP and surrounding area, but plenty of vacancies since the overbuilding of motels in Bar Harbor.  Best news:  lobsters don't get Covid, they just get bettah with buttah!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Right now, I think so.

I think that Tom47 nailed it when he said that, regardless of the fevered dreams of the tourist industry in areas such as the Niagara Region, few Americans will take day trips to see attractions like the floral clock or Brock’s Monument.

It appears to me that the policy was directed to those who have more pressing reasons to cross the border; namely, checking on property owned in Canada, or visiting relatives and loved ones. That group have been more vocal in our national press.

Also, of I remember correctly, Tom47 and his wife have a passion for visiting covered bridges.

One that deserves consideration is the West Montrose Covered Bridge in our Waterloo area.

Although it is solitary, many of the farms around it are owned by Mennonites (Old Older) who drive their horse and buggies along the rural roads. You can easily imagine those vehicles crossing said bridge and returning it to one of its original purposes as a “Kissing Bridge”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nordski said:

I think that Tom47 nailed it when he said that, regardless of the fevered dreams of the tourist industry in areas such as the Niagara Region, few Americans will take day trips to see attractions like the floral clock or Brock’s Monument.

It appears to me that the policy was directed to those who have more pressing reasons to cross the border; namely, checking on property owned in Canada, or visiting relatives and loved ones. That group have been more vocal in our national press.

Also, of I remember correctly, Tom47 and his wife have a passion for visiting covered bridges.

One that deserves consideration is the West Montrose Covered Bridge in our Waterloo area.

Although it is solitary, many of the farms around it are owned by Mennonites (Old Older) who drive their horse and buggies along the rural roads. You can easily imagine those vehicles crossing said bridge and returning it to one of its original purposes as a “Kissing Bridge”.

We have visited the West Montrose cb, but before I wrote travelogues.  It's a lovely bridge.  We also rode a scenic train--St.Jacob's Waterloo, in 1999. We have been visiting covered bridges for 40 years.

We’re still walking 3 days a week and we try to find somewhere new to walk most weeks. This week we decided to walk along the stream in North Cave - a village a few miles from us. We’ve lived in this area all our lives (except for about 3 years when we lived in and near London) and never done this walk before - it was beautiful C16B594E-2130-43A5-AE3D-F85B7B7475A5.thumb.jpeg.29f229b25e518b18e86f80f75d76cb17.jpeg

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We’re still walking 3 days a week and we try to find somewhere new to walk most weeks. This week we decided to walk along the stream in North Cave - a village a few miles from us. We’ve lived in this area all our lives (except for about 3 years when we lived in and near London) and never done this walk before - it was beautiful C16B594E-2130-43A5-AE3D-F85B7B7475A5.thumb.jpeg.29f229b25e518b18e86f80f75d76cb17.jpeg

I think this must really be a painting by John Constable.

Did you encounter a cottage and a haywain further along the stream?