Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

16 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks Tom, that one was out at my local library, but I got another one today.

You're Welcome.  Another author that DW and I like is Craig Johnson, author of the Longmire series.  The books were adapted for tv, and the 7 seasons are on Netflix.   My review of book 1    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/960676356

There is video of the author discussing the transition from print to screen, and I included a link to it in my review of book 5.  See https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/960676873

A warning to those who don't like profanity, Victoria Moretti, Walt's under sheriff, has a salty tongue.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I’ve read it! And Louise Penny lives in the Eastern Townships village of Knowlton. It looks like they have made a cottage industry of being the inspiration for Three Pines. It’s not too long a drive from here, although off the beaten path. Plan to visit someday!

Ms Penney’s life has certainly had its highs and lows. She seemed to finally find some stability but the loss of her husband 5 years ago must have been very challenging.

However, being a recent co-author with Hillary Clinton suggests she is still up for interesting challenges.

I have seen stories about Knowlton and the boost to its economy.

I hope you report on its attractions.

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

You're Welcome.  Another author that DW and I like is Craig Johnson, author of the Longmire series.  The books were adapted for tv, and the 7 seasons are on Netflix.   My review of book 1    https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/960676356

There is video of the author discussing the transition from print to screen, and I included a link to it in my review of book 5.  See https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/960676873

A warning to those who don't like profanity, Victoria Moretti, Walt's under sheriff, has a salty tongue.

I haven’t read the books, but loved the TV series. It was filmed outside of Santa Fe, a favorite city.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nordski said:

But I really appreciate your comments about Manoir Hovey, and I had never considered how formal it might be. We love the ambience of Azamara so might be out of our comfort zone if staying at the Manoir.

The fireplace issue would be both humorous and aggravating.

Your post is really helpful!

One thing about the fireplace - afterwards I found information either in a brochure or on their website (long ago so don't recall) indicating how the fireplaces were configured in each room.   Not all act like a furnace.  Rather some are separate from the heating.  Not sure if they have overhauled this in the past 20 years - it is an older building, so who knows.  

As for the dress code, that may have changed with the times as well.   Maybe the warmer weather is a better time to visit.   The photos for the summer look quite inviting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 12:06 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

It was beautiful out this morning - 37F(just under 3C) and sunny with a lovely blue sky. We walked through local woods (Long Plantation) which are part of the Wolds Way down to the River Humber and back home.

C402AEB4-CF93-492D-B3BB-20434104BB7E.thumb.jpeg.8c3d472afacaddf8bcfcbe256c4fa4f6.jpeg

8D05F4CD-0A34-4816-86AF-A6BAD274D33B.thumb.jpeg.1d5ab2ab2246258daddc43b395dd3378.jpeg

One of my favorite shows is Escape to the Country on dablHD.   I just watched one that featured Wolds Way.  I have learned more about the UK from watching this show than I did in my European history classes in college.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, d66d66 said:

One of my favorite shows is Escape to the Country on dablHD.   I just watched one that featured Wolds Way.  I have learned more about the UK from watching this show than I did in my European history classes in college.

Seems strange to think of you in Texas watching a programme featuring ‘our’ Wolds Way!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We got a ton of snow last night. Downy woodpecker at our suet feeder.

221C10A4-6FE5-43DD-B72E-B07DC97F6399.jpeg

So far in Southern Ontario, since December this has been one of the most wintry winters we’ve experienced in a long time. Lots of opportunity for skiers.

1 minute ago, nordski said:

So far in Southern Ontario, since December this has been one of the most wintry winters we’ve experienced in a long time. Lots of opportunity for skiers.

Same here. Also one of the coldest Januarys here in Vermont. February is getting off to a cold start too!

As Mackdogmolly has pointed out, this general area continues to enjoy remarkably cold weather. We are under a severe cold warning again as it is -18C with a wind chill of -23.

But it is remarkably beautiful, if noisy, when out walking. At this temperature and low humidity the snow is very “crunchy”.

I spotted a flock of wild turkeys doing who knows what in these conditions.

One of the attached pictures includes an outdoor rink at a local park. If it becomes sufficiently warm the ice surface will be busy.

70390FF0-B7AD-4615-ADA0-68718ACD8072.jpeg

115F8285-3DB2-4744-940E-8E5510EE806A.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_Little_State_of_Vermont_speech

So, my local public radio station has a podcast called Brave Little State. I was curious where the name came from and found it was from a speech made by our 30th president, Vermonter Calvin Coolidge, after touring the state, following a devastating flood in 1927. Not known for his eloquence (his nickname was Silent Cal), this is a pretty darned good speech!  Our state, fortunately, has few catastrophic weather events, but that was one of them, as was Tropical Storm Irene in 2011, which caused great flooding and havoc all over the state.

Betsey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

So, my local public radio station has a podcast called Brave Little State. I was curious where the name came from and found it was from a speech made by our 30th president, Vermonter Calvin Coolidge, after touring the state, following a devastating flood in 1927. Not known for his eloquence (his nickname was Silent Cal), this is a pretty darned good speech!  Our state, fortunately, has few catastrophic weather events, but that was one of them, as was Tropical Storm Irene in 2011, which caused great flooding and havoc all over the state.

Betsey

Your information certainly added to my knowledge of “The Sphinx of the Potomac” 

Of course, another famous phrase was his “I do not choose to run” in 1928, an enigmatic statement that left his contemporaries and many later scholars wondering what he actually meant,

But “Brave Little State” leaves little room for controversy.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 1:11 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

Betsey

Through some of my social media sources I understand that Vermont is enjoying a “false spring” right now.

If true, what are its characteristics?

55 minutes ago, nordski said:

Through some of my social media sources I understand that Vermont is enjoying a “false spring” right now.

If true, what are its characteristics?

Well, it was 54 degrees Fahrenheit when I got up this morning! So much of our snow has melted. We are supposed to return to colder temperatures tomorrow though. In Vermont, we have 5 seasons: Winter, Mud, Spring, Summer , and Fall. We will be heading into mud season soon, when all of our numerous dirt roads become all but impassable. To me, spring doesn’t really begin until late April or May. That said, it’s almost time to tap our old maple tree!

2 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Well, it was 54 degrees Fahrenheit when I got up this morning! So much of our snow has melted. We are supposed to return to colder temperatures tomorrow though. In Vermont, we have 5 seasons: Winter, Mud, Spring, Summer , and Fall. We will be heading into mud season soon, when all of our numerous dirt roads become all but impassable. To me, spring doesn’t really begin until late April or May. That said, it’s almost time to tap our old maple tree!

Our local maple syrup festival, the most important event of the year 😄, is scheduled for March 17-27.

It’s time to get my order in to our favoured source.

We also have “mud” season when trucks are limited as to Gross Vehicular Weight.

There is a perhaps an apocryphal story from the prairies that a spring road sign carried this message:

Be careful which ruts you choose to drive in,

You are going to be in them for the next 5 miles.

• Haha 2

I so enjoyed the DNA mysteries lectures on Quest, so when I got home from my Christmas cruise I ordered a kit from Ancestry.com. Just got the results, which weren’t surprising: 52% Scottish, 42% English and Northern European, 3% Irish, and 3% Norwegian. Lots of possible 2nd or 3rd cousins identified. May reach out to some to figure out the connections. In my research, it also appears that one of my great grandfathers was married in Scotland before he came to the states and married my great grandmother. His death at age 33 was somewhat mysterious and he somehow became someone who was never spoken of. 

• Like 2