Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

1 hour ago, snowglobe said:

Due to the quarantine, no one can enter our home either. 
LOL, I’m burning incense in the fridge, at least to mask the lingering odour.

I did connect today with our Municipal Councillor’s office, who is coordinating a team of volunteers. No luck on the cleaning supplies, but someone will be helping us out by picking up an order of kitty litter and cat food for our Lords and Masters.

Stay healthy too!

Good luck with the grocery roulette we are now playing in Ontario. We are presently waiting for notice of a new pickup time that will replace the original  that was supposed to occur about 2 hours ago (Loblaws).

But the good news is that we have been able to obtain some necessary staples. And what else is there to do but complain about Galen Weston and his empire? 😄

And we have faced nothing nearly as challenging as your return to Canada, post-cruise decompression, a broken fridge, absence of key pets, and the best-laid plans going into some disarray.

Thanks for the update and your positive attitude is refreshing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Sadly that is now The Open in July cancelled today.  

Thanks for posting. We were booked for THE OPEN on the next to last day on  July 6 Pursuit British Isles cruise. Now we'll wait to hear about the sailing. Stay healthy....

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

10 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Thanks for posting. We were booked for the next to last day on Pursuit British Isles cruise. Now we wait to hear about the sailing. Stay healthy....

Sorry to hear you have lost this but it was probably inevitable

• Like 1

Anyone booked on the 2021 golf cruise will probably need an itinerary change - they have put 2021 at Sandwich so that the 150th Open which will be in 2022 can be at St Andrews

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Worrying news for us in the UK that our Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, is in hospital in intensive care. We’re told that he is not on a ventilator and can only hope that he improves over the next hours and days.

Will be sending good thoughts for him from across the pond. Hope he makes it through 

• Like 1

Great to hear that the Prime Minister is out of intensive care and being monitored on an ordinary ward.

Last night we again had the weekly applause for key workers and all our road was out making a lot of noise with bells, drums and pots and pans. There was a great sense of community, even though we were all standing well apart at our front doors.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The UK is now into a further 3 weeks lockdown which takes us well into May. After that I think they will start easing things off in a staged way, possibly opening schools and letting younger adults back to work first. It’s certainly likely that us oldies will be expected to stay self isolating for quite a bit longer. 

There is much speculation about how this staging might work, but the government has not yet announced its plans. This is probably not helped by the fact that Boris Johnson is still recovering in the PM’s official country residence of Chequers.

One good thing that happened this week is that the Police have issued further guidance and they include allowing people to drive into the countryside to take exercise there, so long as the drive is much shorter than the exercise. We’re delighted with that as we find it quite stressful trying to take a walk in our village. It’s really hard to avoid people, but we can drive for 10 minutes and have a walk and not see anyone. Yesterday we drove 10 minutes to a section of the Wolds Way and had a beautiful walk. The views and birdsong were wonderful and we came home feeling re-invigorated.

• Like 1

Whilst we could drive to walk, all the car parks at the parks and country parks are taped off so it’s a hollow statement by the authorities  saying you can drive to walk. 

Mental Health concerns are now a bigger issue. Across four major hospitals in a health board near here more people died there last week because of suicides than covid and more were seen due to domestic violence than were admitted due to covid. A sobering thought about the other impacts of lock in. 

Edited by uktog

We are very fortunate to have a bungalow with a large garden and can be also be in open countryside in just a few minutes walk.

Our only problem is that my Wife is suffering with her Arthritic hip and knee and cannot walk far, just about making it to the Summer house.

Goodness knows when she will be able to get any treatment which we fully understand at this time.

I feel for people that are trapped in flats or apartments with no private outside areas.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, uktog said:

Whilst we could drive to walk, all the car parks at the parks and country parks are taped off so it’s a hollow statement by the authorities  saying you can drive to walk

We don’t go anywhere with car parks, like you all ours are closed off as well. We just park on the grass verge on a very quiet country road and walk from there. We very rarely see any other cars or people. Luckily for us the Wolds Way crosses several of the country roads within a very few miles of us. 

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We don’t go anywhere with car parks, like you all ours are closed off as well. We just park on the grass verge on a very quiet country road and walk from there. We very rarely see any other cars or people. Luckily for us the Wolds Way crosses several of the country roads within a very few miles of us. 

All our roads are being patrolled and anywhere you could park near walks is coned and subject to a temporary parking restriction. I’m ok about that. Today we walked into the town park, it was easier than being in country walks. Everyone was crossing the road etc so our passing distances were far better than on the country path. We also walk at non peak times if on the path, dawn and dusk are so interesting especially to see wildlife. The deer were within 5 feet of our fence yesterday evening 

• Like 2

Not exactly on topic, but this is a four hour video or a trip up The Rideau Canal created by our local education network.

The canal leads into our National Capital Region.

It's extremely well done and will be attractive, I think. particularly to those who  enjoy river cruising.

You can put this on your TV, pick up a book. and imagine that you are back on the water.

https://www.tvo.org/documentaries

• Like 1

Last night BBC put on TV some of the One World Together At Home concert that was live streamed the previous night (UK time). There were some amazing performances. J Lo’s ‘People’ was tremendous, Billie Eilish and Finneas did a moving performance of ‘Sunny’, Lizzo’s ‘A Change is Gonna Come’ was lovely and John Legend and Sam Smith’s ‘Stand By Me’ was great, but the song that moved me to tears was ‘The Prayer’ performed by Celine Dion, Andrea Bocelli, Lady Gaga, John Legend and Lang Lang - wonderful.

You can see all the performances from the livestream on YouTube - they are listed here

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=One+world+together+at+home

• Like 1

Had a lovely walk this morning along the banks of the River Humber. Although you can walk along the river in our village, that walk is always very busy with lots of dog walkers, so we drove a mile and a half to a quiet area. We only met 1 other person and the track is wide enough to avoid getting close.

DFB05F9B-53E9-4974-B3E4-98D006F8C77E.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Had a lovely walk this morning along the banks of the River Humber. Although you can walk along the river in our village, that walk is always very busy with lots of dog walkers, so we drove a mile and a half to a quiet area. We only met 1 other person and the track is wide enough to avoid getting close.

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting the photo.

We have a Humber River near us in Ontario, named by early British settlers.

I'd rather walk along yours 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Grandma is very lucky to live so close to the Humber,  we have visited the country park near the bridge with our grandsons, hope to be able to do so again.

We live about 50 miles further inland near the Rivers Ouse and Aire which flow through the Yorkshire Dales and down through the vale of York into the mighty Humber and out to sea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Grandma is very lucky to live so close to the Humber,  we have visited the country park near the bridge with our grandsons, hope to be able to do so again.

We live about 50 miles further inland near the Rivers Ouse and Aire which flow through the Yorkshire Dales and down through the vale of York into the mighty Humber and out to sea.

I do hope Grandma posts some more pictures.

Your description of the Humber in England as “mighty” suggests that the settlers here were using considerable literary licence in using the same name for our local version. 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nordski said:

Your description of the Humber in England as “mighty” suggests that the settlers here were using considerable literary licence in using the same name for our local version. 😄

I will do so.

Our Humber is a very wide river and is tidal. Our village is where the remains of Bronze Age boats were found in 1937, then again in 1963. I remember the finding of the boat in 1963 - in fact I went down there in my wellie boots and left one of them behind stuck in the mud. Here’s a photo of the boat remains in our local museum.

D4638DFA-4941-43F4-87AB-2A17E4143B9C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nordski said:

The Humber is certainly mighty by UK standards at least.

Most of the rivers in Yorkshire and the Midlands eventually drain into the Humber Estuary.

I  believe it drains almost half of the land mass of England.

It was the route the Vikings used to invade England's interior and access places like York.

When it was first built the Humber Bridge was the longest single span suspension bridge in the world but it no longer holds the record.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Thanks 1