Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

25 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

The Humber is certainly mighty by UK standards at least.

Most of the rivers in Yorkshire and the Midlands eventually drain into the Humber Estuary.

I  believe it drains almost half of the land mass of England.

It was the route the Vikings used to invade England's interior and access places like York.

When it was first built the Humber Bridge was the longest single span suspension bridge in the world but it no longer holds the record.

Incidentally my name is Eric and Eric Bloodaxe was the VIking King of York.

The nickname was given to me by workmates years ago has Bloodaxe took no prisoners and neither did I, ( not really).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Incidentally my name is Eric and Eric Bloodaxe was the VIking King of York.

The nickname was given to me by workmates years ago has Bloodaxe took no prisoners and neither did I, ( not really).

Thanks for sharing that personal background. I was aware of Eric Bloodaxe and thought there might be a connection. 

Besides revisiting Scotland, we do hope that some day we can visit the Yorkshire area and the city of York. We have never been there and that’s a glaring hole in our experiences. 

As part of our recent TV travels, we watched a two-part series on Castle Howard. And, of course, we are part of the generation that loved the James Herriot stories. 

Perhaps that will be a possibility before cruising returns as an option.

• Like 1

Yesterday we walked on the Humber banks  again and into the woods that are part of the Wolds Way. There are still bluebells there. Otherwise life goes on in much the same way - online shopping deliveries when we can manage to get slots, lots of gardening and lots of spring cleaning!

19335200-5FF7-44FB-9E1D-75B8E78BBB3C.jpeg

C276CD14-485E-47B7-ADC9-B8621D411BEF.jpeg

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Yesterday we walked on the Humber banks  again and into the woods that are part of the Wolds Way. There are still bluebells there. Otherwise life goes on in much the same way - online shopping deliveries when we can manage to get slots, lots of gardening and lots of spring cleaning!

19335200-5FF7-44FB-9E1D-75B8E78BBB3C.jpeg

C276CD14-485E-47B7-ADC9-B8621D411BEF.jpeg

Pure escapism for me---and so very welcome.

Thanks for posting. I hope others do the same.

• Like 3

On 4/20/2020 at 8:57 PM, nordski said:

Thanks for sharing that personal background. I was aware of Eric Bloodaxe and thought there might be a connection. 

Besides revisiting Scotland, we do hope that some day we can visit the Yorkshire area and the city of York. We have never been there and that’s a glaring hole in our experiences. 

As part of our recent TV travels, we watched a two-part series on Castle Howard. And, of course, we are part of the generation that loved the James Herriot stories. 

Perhaps that will be a possibility before cruising returns as an option.

Thanks for the James Herriot reference, Nordski. We loved watching the All Creatures series and the gorgeous scenery of Yorkshire (assume it was filmed there). Would love to visit one day.

Betsey

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Thanks for the James Herriot reference, Nordski. We loved watching the All Creatures series and the gorgeous scenery of Yorkshire (assume it was filmed there). Would love to visit one day.

Betsey

It was filmed in and around the Yorkshire Dales and Moors, the building used has the Vets Surgery is in Thirsk,( Darrowby was fictional)North Yorkshire about 20 miles north of York, I believe it is open to the public.

Another TV series filmed in the Yorkshire Moors was Heartbeat, about a village  Policeman set in the 1960s, again great scenery including the North Yorkshire Moors heritage railway.

Some of our favourite days out, can't wait until we are able to go again..

By the way we loved Vermont, visited some years ago in your fall season.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mamacampesinos! said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4464998f731c28841717814027be38d4.jpegWe are very fortunate to live in the beautiful port of Dartmouth, in Devon, this is our view of the river. The Quest was scheduled to visit this September, I doubt we’ll see her...

Thanks for a beautiful photo - what a gorgeous view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

It was filmed in and around the Yorkshire Dales and Moors, the building used has the Vets Surgery is in Thirsk,( Darrowby was fictional)North Yorkshire about 20 miles north of York, I believe it is open to the public.

Another TV series filmed in the Yorkshire Moors was Heartbeat, about a village  Policeman set in the 1960s, again great scenery including the North Yorkshire Moors heritage railway.

Our fall season is lovely here in Vermont, Eric, glad you enjoyed it! I can’t wait to go ANYWHERE again!

Betsey

4 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Now you’ve done it:

🎵Heartbeat, why do you miss when my baby kisses me

Heartbeat, why does a love kiss stay in my memory🎵

That’s the tune in my head all of today.

But that’s a good memory!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All this talk about All Creatures great and small reminds me of something that happened to us on a round trip cruise to Hawaii from San Diego some years ago.

We were on Celebrity Summit chatting and taking morning coffee in the lounge.

A lady approached my Wife and said, I really love your accent it reminds me of one of my favorite TV programs.

We explained that we lived in Yorkshire but not actually in the Dales although we often visited there.

We then asked were they lived and she said a small place in California called Three Rivers but you will never have heard of it.

She was amazed when we said that we knew exactly where it was and had even stayed there while on a driving tour of California's National Parks.

It turned out that she had even once worked at the Motel were we had stayed, Small World.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We drove up to the Wolds Way again today for our walk. Here’s a photo of the view across the fields, and you can just see the Humber Bridge in the distance.

The lovely weather we had has gone and it’s now very changeable - sun and cloud with the odd shower today. It was still nice to get out in the country air, and we only saw a couple of people with dogs, but the path is broad enough to make it easy to get out of the way.

81E6BC88-45B8-4F87-B6E6-AF987A7F5698.jpeg

• Like 5

On 4/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, Bloodaxe said:

A lady approached my Wife and said, I really love your accent it reminds me of one of my favorite TV programs.

We explained that we lived in Yorkshire but not actually in the Dales although we often visited there.

We then asked were they lived and she said a small place in California called Three Rivers but you will never have heard of it.

She was amazed when we said that we knew exactly where it was and had even stayed there while on a driving tour of California's National Parks.

On the subject of "small world" I recently needed some physio for a shoulder injury. Chatting to the Physio he mentioned his partner came from California. I asked what part of California and his answer was similar to the one you received "you will never have heard of it."

The town was San Luis Obispo and we had stayed there during a drive up the coast on our first ever visit to USA!

• Like 1

My two best 'small world' anecdotes are:  (1) walking through the Venice airport and hearing my wife's name being called – by a choir member from our former parish that we hadn't seen in twenty years; and (2) going to the shipboard doctor on a Hawaii cruise after slicing my foot open on some lava rocks and discovering that we were both at Stanford at the same time [although we had never met there].

• Like 3

Another small world story.

Some years ago a neighbour of ours was in a park overlooking Perth in Australia.

They got talking to another couple and has you do they spoke about were they lived.

They told them they came from Yorkshire England, the couple said our Brother and Sister in law lived in Yorkshire.

They then told them it was a small village near to York, after further exchanges it turned out to be they same village and they were near neighbours of ours.

He took a photograph of the couple and when he returned home went to see the neighbours and said do you know these people, they were amazed.

• Like 1

Our small world stories both involve dentists

About 30 years ago (yikes!) we were touring the original Queen Mary that was docked in Long Beach, California.   We stopped in the gift shop where they were serving coffee samples.   My husband went for a 2nd, and someone teasingly said, in typical NY fashion, "go ahead, just take it all.."   They started chatting, realized they were both from the same town in NY,  then the other man realized my husband's father was his dentist, pulled open the side of his mouth, and exclaimed " see, he put this crown in for me!"    

The second time, also similar time frame, my husband was at his dentist and mentioned  we were going to Cancun.  The dentist mentioned his daughter, whom he named, was also going there.    Weeks later we were in Cancun, dining outdoors in a restaurant garden when someone at the next table called one of the young women by that name.   My husband got up, walked over and asked if she was so-and-so.   When she replied "yes", he told her that her father had sent him to watch her.   She was shocked, but then we all, including the young woman, had a very good laugh about the coincidence.   I wonder if she ever disclosed her travel plans to her father again!

In Copenhagen 2 summers ago, at our hotel the young concierge's girlfriend lived in the town just north of us here in Westchester County,  and this past fall in Sydney, we were lunching at a cafe in the Rocks, and it turns out the owner has family in the town adjacent to where we live.     These are not well known towns outside of our area - at least we never thought so.

Just proves how travel is bringing the world together.  

Edited by the mice
  • Like 2

A few more photos from the lovely walk we did today. We walked up the footpath which is along the drive to Hotham Hall - an old Hall that’s about 10 miles from us. The drive is magnificently bordered by Copper Beech trees. 
This is the Gatehouse

37CE14E1-2964-450D-83EE-74F1E366B7BE.thumb.jpeg.566b2ed04d3fcb07498350575f68fbb3.jpegIt had an interesting sign on the front.073A2070-B1CE-4517-BED5-DA87BE2C3420.thumb.jpeg.03099573a0aaefa217fd6b98fcdc5bb7.jpegCopper Beeches.6B6D2046-746E-4A15-A3DA-F0085219EAEB.thumb.jpeg.5092ad7378cfd06b05b05934b44d5409.jpegThe main entrance to the Hall past the Coach House.7AA5B365-A2D0-49FF-9422-7977A6D56142.thumb.jpeg.aae59a381579baf93fe4617cd84b3a07.jpegHotham HallC20D3C54-76E6-4F3E-B1E7-EDBAAFFDAB13.thumb.jpeg.4ad1d9985a5b15754e28fbef42e7c0d1.jpeg

• Like 2

Wonderful. Looked up Hotham Hall and learned that it was/is up for sale although a bit out of our price range.

The sign concerning Ypres is poignant for Canadians. It was the location of the first major action for the 1st Division and the initial use of chlorine gas by the Germans.

I am now adding Hotham on our list of places to visit in Yorkshire.

• Like 1

Today’s walk was all on foot. We walked into the bit of the Wolds Way that’s near our house - it’s a wood called Long Plantation. Some beautiful bird-song. We also saw the ‘wood-pecker tree’ but they were either not at home, or very quiet - no tapping at all.

F90F79A4-0C48-43B7-8CC0-4207F6F580F2.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Today’s walk was all on foot. We walked into the bit of the Wolds Way that’s near our house - it’s a wood called Long Plantation. Some beautiful bird-song. We also saw the ‘wood-pecker tree’ but they were either not at home, or very quiet - no tapping at all.

F90F79A4-0C48-43B7-8CC0-4207F6F580F2.jpeg

I’m not certain it’s safe to walk under that tree,

Now I have a new word to think about: “Wold”.

I can’t immediately think of a synonym we would use here, although we are near the source of 3 major local rivers (including the Humber).

So colloquially we are the “High County”. Could we work “Wold” into that?