Azamara Cruisers - How are things where YOU are

Grandma Cruising

6 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

And October is probably not the best time to be in that area. I’d guess it was wet, windy and probably cold.

Believe me, when we visit Yorkshire we shall review your and Bloodaxe's posts to put us on the right path.

• Like 1

Our rules have changed now - single adult households can ‘bubble up’ with one other household, to provide support for single parents & lone grandparents. All our shops can open too, so long as they can ensure social distancing. We have to wear face coverings on public transport and in any medical facility, and are advised to do so when we are near other people, especially inside shops etc.Still no pubs, restaurants, hairdressers or beauty salons!

On today’s walk we went to Hessle, which is the other side of the Humber Bridge, so here’s a photo from very close to it.878106C7-0F5C-44C5-BF4B-1A46A8730F83.thumb.jpeg.f1d59d7bef5f254c506350b61ae15726.jpeg

• Like 4

I know many of you like Greenwich.  Went there today for first time since March.  The park was very crowded.  The Royal Naval College grounds closed but opening for walk through's tomorrow.  The Market was partially opened with about 20 food stalls.  

The biggest surprise was that the Thames had no ships at all (apart from one man I saw launch a kayak).  I am used to a busy river, the Thames Clippers, Tourist boats, general river traffic and the odd cruise ship.   Look forward to it returning to its normal lovely busy riverscape.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I know many of you like Greenwich.  Went there today for first time since March.  The park was very crowded.  The Royal Naval College grounds closed but opening for walk through's tomorrow.  The Market was partially opened with about 20 food stalls.  

The biggest surprise was that the Thames had no ships at all (apart from one man I saw launch a kayak).  I am used to a busy river, the Thames Clippers, Tourist boats, general river traffic and the odd cruise ship.   Look forward to it returning to its normal lovely busy riverscape.

Thanks so much for that update. As you know, we loved the day spent and then debarkation in Greenwich last year.

Despite the torrential downpour 😄.

Another site we would love to revisit.

• Like 1

Nordski

I need to correct my previous post about Loftus in Yorkshire, it is on the northern edge of the Yorkshire Moors and will be very scenic.

Last night I was watching the local weather forecast and it was mentioned by the forecaster, so I looked it up.

it is located on the boarder between North Yorkshire and Cleveland,

it is on the Whitby to Middlesborough railway line which actually joins up with the Yorkshire Moors heritage railway(look it up) at Grosmont which is really worth a visit.

So I have learned something about Yorkshire from a source in Canada and the weather forecast, you live and learn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Nordski

I need to correct my previous post about Loftus in Yorkshire, it is on the northern edge of the Yorkshire Moors and will be very scenic.

Last night I was watching the local weather forecast and it was mentioned by the forecaster, so I looked it up.

it is located on the boarder between North Yorkshire and Cleveland,

it is on the Whitby to Middlesborough railway line which actually joins up with the Yorkshire Moors heritage railway(look it up) at Grosmont which is really worth a visit.

So I have learned something about Yorkshire from a source in Canada and the weather forecast, you live and learn.

Another correction, that section of the railway line closed many years ago and does not run through Loftus.

The Whitby line still connects with the heritage line at Grosmont a little south of Loftus

The Engine sheds are at Grosmont and are open to the public, well worth a visit if you are a train buff like me.

1 hour ago, Bloodaxe said:

Another correction, that section of the railway line closed many years ago and does not run through Loftus.

The Whitby line still connects with the heritage line at Grosmont a little south of Loftus

The Engine sheds are at Grosmont and are open to the public, well worth a visit if you are a train buff like me.

Our list of things to do in Yorkshire keeps expanding.

Thanks.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:48 AM, nordski said:

Thanks so much for that update. As you know, we loved the day spent and then debarkation in Greenwich last year.

Despite the torrential downpour 😄.

Another site we would love to revisit.

We were on a B2B there in June 2018 and enjoyed the day exploring both sides of the river via the tunnel. ☺️

1 hour ago, Baynanno1 said:

We were on a B2B there in June 2018 and enjoyed the day exploring both sides of the river via the tunnel. ☺️

Tunnel????

How did I miss that?

Another failure on my long list of travelling experiences and yet somehow missing out. It’s such a problem that I try to convince people that I’ve adopted a “slow travel” philosophy and don’t mind at all.

However, I did find much to enjoy on the only side of the Thames I visited. It’s a remarkable site!

Did I mention it was really raining hard?

19 minutes ago, nordski said:

Tunnel????

How did I miss that?

Another failure on my long list of travelling experiences and yet somehow missing out. It’s such a problem that I try to convince people that I’ve adopted a “slow travel” philosophy and don’t mind at all.

However, I did find much to enjoy on the only side of the Thames I visited. It’s a remarkable site!

Did I mention it was really raining hard?

The south side entrance is inside a circular building near the Cutty Sark, easy to find if you google Greenwich Foot Tunnel and have a look at the satellite map image.

Inside each end of the tunnel are both stairs and entrance to a large lift (big enough to take bicycles). The tunnel itself is reasonably wide to enable people to pass each other while walking or cycling in opposite directions.

One of the benefits of going through the tunnel in Greenwich is to see the wonderful view of The Old Naval College and the Queens House and Observatory.  Famous Canaletto painting attached.  

It doesnt always rain !  We have had the driest and sunniest spring weather - useful for sitting in the garden and going nowhere due to lockdown.

figure-32.jpg

• Like 1

For cruisers who know Edinburgh this was the Royal Mile and Princes Street at 1400 on what would be a busy Saturday in the tourist season.  I will be honest, we shouldn’t have been there, we are only supposed to drive five miles or so for exercise but we doubled that.  We had reached the point we had to get out and were fed up of the TV going on about shops opening up (that’s England, not here) and social bubbles (again not allowed). We were supposed to be seeing our grandson at 2 metres distance outside - but it’s not an option in weather like this!  Anyway as people who know me will understand taking photos is my escape and I’ve got memories to share with future generations now.  

1C4BE739-C34D-4A8F-99E4-44CC16D6C0AA.jpeg

F2140817-2DEA-4C6E-90FB-406099A79250.jpeg

ECBFA13E-57B1-4988-8875-BFAFCE7A1A5E.jpeg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Brilliant pictures, so atmospheric.

It was such a weird experience, we kept expecting Burke and Hare to come by - the second picture is taken beside Deacon Brodie - Deacon Brodie was a right rum character with a night time occupation that did not align to his daytime image and is said to haunt the area to this day, I think Saturday would have been an ideal day for him

8 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

The south side entrance is inside a circular building near the Cutty Sark, easy to find if you google Greenwich Foot Tunnel and have a look at the satellite map image.

Inside each end of the tunnel are both stairs and entrance to a large lift (big enough to take bicycles). The tunnel itself is reasonably wide to enable people to pass each other while walking or cycling in opposite directions.

Well, that does it!

We will have to return.

Thanks to you and Mrs Miggins for this information.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

For cruisers who know Edinburgh this was the Royal Mile and Princes Street at 1400 on what would be a busy Saturday in the tourist season.  I will be honest, we shouldn’t have been there, we are only supposed to drive five miles or so for exercise but we doubled that.  We had reached the point we had to get out and were fed up of the TV going on about shops opening up (that’s England, not here) and social bubbles (again not allowed). We were supposed to be seeing our grandson at 2 metres distance outside - but it’s not an option in weather like this!  Anyway as people who know me will understand taking photos is my escape and I’ve got memories to share with future generations now.  

1C4BE739-C34D-4A8F-99E4-44CC16D6C0AA.jpeg

F2140817-2DEA-4C6E-90FB-406099A79250.jpeg

ECBFA13E-57B1-4988-8875-BFAFCE7A1A5E.jpeg

Thanks for the photos. I would love to visit there some day. My Scottish roots run deep and particularly in and around Edinburgh

Some years ago (maybe 2002?)  we walked through the tunnel under the Thames starting from the Greenwich side - it was quite interesting to do.    

We've also been to Edinburgh twice - love that city.   The first time was in June 2004 - our weather was mostly very good and dry except for the day we went to Glasgow.   It poured mightily that day so we only got to the Burrell Museum and a bit of the central downtown area.  But in Edinburgh itself, we did the Royal Mile end to end, seeing most of the sights, climbed Calton Hill and Arthur's Seat, visited the National Gallery, the National Museum, Botanical Gardens, yacht Britannia, walked the Water of Leith area,  took a day trip to Stirling Castle and the Trossachs, night tour of the tunnels, and so much more.   Friendliest, most helpful people everywhere we went.    And my husband even tried the haggis - he did say the the whisky sauce provided helped a bit!

Last June we cruised around the British Isles and Ireland, with a stop in Edinburgh - it looked like your photos, uktog.   Poured absolute buckets with wind, so we could not dock in Leith, but rather way out in Rosyth, and we had to shuttle into the city, arriving after noontime.   Never got further than the National Gallery, which was as wonderful as ever and gave us a chance to dry out a bit.  We felt badly for those who had never been before, as I am sure their sightseeing was rather hampered by the weather.    But then our stop in Glasgow was dry and partly sunny, so we got to see the parts of that city which we missed the first time!   

We also had a stop in Newcastle-on-Tyne and did take the train to Durham for a few hours.   But did not get to York.  From all I have read, Yorkshire has lots to explore and we do intend to do that someday.   There's only so much that you can do on a port stop.  

• Like 1

Very true, York it's surroundings could never be done justice on a short visit.

You need time, we are often in York and are always finding new things to see and do.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

Very true, York it's surroundings could never be done justice on a short visit.

You need time, we are often in York and are always finding new things to see and do.

I’m now thinking it’s at least a one week visit and even then there would have to be a careful setting of priorities.

UK COVID-19 numbers seem to be coming down and lockdown is due to be eased again early in July, when hairdressers will be able to open and it looks as if pubs will be able to open too. The government is also reviewing the 2 metre social distancing rule and it looks as if its likely to come down to 1 metre. If it does, we’ll ignore it and stay at 2 metres!

I promised to post some photos of all the tubs and pots we filled with annual plants at the beginning of the month, so here they are.7E0E1FC9-18EB-48D9-B667-1934E90881C7.thumb.jpeg.8861778d4ed74fe41fd22379a493f97c.jpeg

93E39FB9-5368-40EC-B8A0-F7DB0CD895F8.thumb.jpeg.a0034bdcd35298814344ea7f0f08c3ac.jpeg

D467F9A0-2944-46B9-BC79-317714300F1A.thumb.jpeg.37b9e071625ec74672a48b56c9e946ee.jpeg

35C5E3AD-B1F9-4F03-8863-A9237FC983FE.thumb.jpeg.f12f5f839000c4ebad3067492940b658.jpeg

CF7DCE4E-9C45-4500-9708-B359E06D9F8E.thumb.jpeg.a21168db135257350c9d7e0dad180c59.jpeg

• Like 6

Lest anyone think that summer never arrived in Southern Ontario, these photos may dispel

that notion.

Our lake has just recently opened up for fishing, and with a keen eye you may able to spot a group on the water in pursuit of their wily prey. Unfortunately our annual Largemouth Bass Derby has been defeated by the Covid -19 virus.

A heron is perched on a fence also looking for a meal. Although the site he has chosen is a bit depressing since he is not in the open water, reminding me of the Azamara ships tied up in Glasgow.

In pandemic news we are one of only about 3 Ontario jurisdictions in which we are forbidden to enter commercial establishments without a mask. This either speaks to the common sense of our public health officials or perhaps the lack of same in our populace. 😄

It does appear that, as of now, our health facilities have not faced the deluge of patients that was feared.

A7B86493-3816-447B-9529-8271C925E797.jpeg

C17B0832-85F3-4603-A2BA-639B1932DC21.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes, lovely photos! In the state of Vermont, our governor won’t make blanket mask wearing mandatory (yet). Our quarantine guidance for visitors and returning students is being somewhat ignored (especially by students). We are now one of the 36 states with rising numbers, after enjoying a steady decline.