River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

34 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Reopening Mississippi is going to be a TERRIBLE idea.  They can say "we don't look like NYC", but if they reopen and dump social distancing, give them a month and they WILL look like NYC.

Hi sharkster, re-opening many places is a TERRIBLE idea.  The virus is spreading at a VERY, VERY fast pace and

if they re-open places too soon? It will make it worse for the whole country:classic_sad:

27 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I remember seeing those crowds and thinking "this is really not a good idea"

By coincidence, I heard this mention of celebrating Mardi Gras an hour ago on BBC as well. I was shocked, I feel sorry for the people who were not aware of the threat. From my perspective, having read the effects here in Germany of close contact celebrations, I must say that it was - sorry - foolish to let this go ahead. We had one man who had been infected from a unknown original source celebrating in a carnival indoor event in North-Rhine Westphalia. He did not know of course but caused a cluster of dozens of cases, one of those in contact with him even became the first official case in Poland.

I am worried about you people over there. Take care.

notamermaid

@Lois R   ,  I just saw an interview with the governor of Nevada.  He was asked about the possibility of  re-opening sparsely populated states, like Nevada.  The governor made it very clear that he isn't reopening anything.  He continued to say that he is guided by the medical and scientific community, not politics or economics.  He feels his top responsibility is the health of his citizens.

Edited by sharkster77

What is it like where I am? Hmm, not too bad, all in all. Went to the butcher's yesterday only to find it had closed early due to lack of customers. Could not eat German sausages for dinner. 😁 Absolutely minor hiccup in the grand scheme. I have got sort of used to things and could not even remember yesterday, how long virus control measures are supposed to last.

Bad news have been coming in from politics in the UK. Boris Johnson and the UK health secretary tested positive. Prince Charles as we have already heard is in Balmoral with mild symptoms. People, please look after dear Elizabeth and her husband!

This morning,  I have just read that our measures will be extended till 20 April. Oh well, that means I will probably not be back at work before May. Perhaps I should help out in the fields harvesting asparagus. This is the article from Deutsche Welle: https://m.dw.com/en/germany-wont-lift-coronavirus-restrictions-before-april-20-chancellory/a-52947201 

notamermaid

Here in Canada's capital city things are even more quiet as our shut down continues to include just about everything now.  From what friends and family are saying, and in our own situation, we are strangely and stoically become more used to this 'new normal'. We understand we are in for the long haul here and need to adjust our mind sets.  The snow has just about gone, perhaps enough left to annoy the robins and squirrels so once we can get out in our garden it may prove easier to cope.

Supermarkets are reasonably well stocked and yesterday, during my lightening early morning shopping trip, I was able to purchase disinfecting wipes for the first time in weeks, only one tube per person but that was more than fine with me. We are keeping busy with house fix up projects and lots of reading. I have decided to forego most social media for a few days and just check the news once per day as the onslaught of COVID-19 bad news was becoming just too much as least for me.  Still, I found myself humming the Maureen McGovern song.... There's Got to be a Morning After. Stay healthy and keep your distance everyone. 🙂

Ritabob,

what is striking and so splendid about all this, is how inventive and creative people have become. Youtube videos, disinfectant form distilleries, a company in Rhineland-Palatinate (where I am) that normally produces paper tablecloths for events now makes disposable face masks. The list goes on and on.

In Germany things are largely unchanged (apart from the figures rising), the police is getting a little bit busier with people ignoring the rules, sadly. But the fines are now catalogued and the catalogue is put into practice. Anything from 200 to 5000 euros is not little.

I love this celebrity chef's idea in Berlin, he cooks for medical staff: https://www.dw.com/en/gourmet-chef-cooks-for-heroes-in-the-corona-crisis/a-52942172

notamermaid

• Like 1

Washing hands and wiping surfaces is pretty much second nature now, and noticing when neighbours go shopping for instance can mean a phone call or a little note left to get something forgotten all delivered keeping the required distance apart or just left on the doorstep. My daughter keeps her Pilates classes going through the internet from her dinning room her participants are increasing by the day. My Grandsons classroom is now the conservatory, his school now has just over 20 pupils attending all from families of nurses, firefighters etc., thank god for their dedication. I may soon though have a slight challenge I am a crafter and have decided that I now have time for a sort out, what to do with the rubbish, not so important in the grand scheme of things but it helps keep my mind off of what could happen. Our police have today found a family plus dog killed in their house so so sad. So talk to your cruising friends. CA

Projections for KY (and OH, since I'm near the border) are that the quick actions of our governors are "flattening the curve" and pushing the surge further out, which will allow for adequate hospital and ICU beds. Kids have been out of school since 3/12, so aren't spreading germs. Daycares closed a week later. At my office, we are only seeing babies/infants/kids who are due vaccines. Hardly any sick kids due to the lack of exposure to other kids. Those few who do call, I am seeing "virtually"  Most families have embraced online learning. The teachers are available virtually, if needed. Sadly, the Home Depots and Lowes have become the new meeting spots, as they are considered "essential"  I schedule my grocery pick-up for each Saturday morning, so I don't have to go in the store. The pollen count is rising here, and an allergic cough mixed with a virus isn't a good combo. 

Trying to decide where to travel next year, as my cruise next month was canceled, and I don't see anything returning to normal for several months.

Robin

My area is still not largely impacted. We have had 8 cases in my city of less than 300K. 7 are travel related. I am spending 1/3 of my time at the office and 2/3 at home working from home. I was at the office today and realize how much my back hurts as I don't have a comfortable chair to work from when home. I am more productive when I am at my desk at work. I had a Princess transatlantic/British Isles cruise booked for April which is canceled. It was going to be for my "50th birthday". With restaurants closed for dine-in, it will be celebrated with "take-out"....

On 3/28/2020 at 7:43 AM, Bake apple said:

Still, I found myself humming the Maureen McGovern song.... There's Got to be a Morning After. 🙂

I have started singing "Livin' La (co)Vida Loca"...

Stay safe everyone!!

Fran

• Haha 1

Well, it's been announced another 2 weeks (one week gone) of no going out in Ontario, and things in the eastern end of the province are getting interesting.  The province of Quebec (which has the most cases in the country, and is having a hard time) announced mid day (during working hours) that they were going to limit traffic between Ontario & Quebec to essential traffic only.  This is fine for most people, as since you are supposed to be staying at home anyway, you really don't need to go across the river.  However there are a lot of people who live in one province, and work in the other...and when they have to cross bridges to get to the other province, even though there is minimum traffic, it made things fun.  My husband works in the city with some who live in Quebec, so I sent him a warning...I hear it took one guy 2.5 hrs to get home.  That wouldn't be to bad in normal traffic, but when there isn't supposed to be anyone on the road....

Lots of complaints popping up online about this, mostly from those who reside in Ontario.  The only thing I can really think they are worried about is getting cut off from the cheap beer supply...

Other than that,we are holding our heads above water.  It has hit seniors homes, but not as bad as when other virus' go through, so hopefully we will be lucky.  Hospitals are saying they are ok - tired but still ok as far as beds go.  Masks & gloves are getting in short supply, however by next week, hopefully that will be resolved.  Most people are doing as asked and staying in and the bylaw (police) are really making it known that you will be fined if you don't obey. 

Off to do our groceries, I am now buying for 2 sets of parents & their neighbours...good thing I have a nice limit on the credit card!

Take care all, and stay healthy.  The more we stay in, hopefully the sooner we can go out.

Here in Germany, just like in so many countries, musicians are streaming concerts from their home. On 22 March musicians were asked to play "Ode to Joy" from their window. It is a poem by Friedrich Schiller set to music by Ludwig van Beethoven which he incorporated into his 9th Symphony. This is the article on it: https://www.dw.com/en/beethovens-ode-to-joy-rings-out-during-the-corona-crisis/a-52894646 

An orchestra in Rotterdam went even further and recorded it: https://www.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/rotterdam-philharmonic-virtual-ode-to-joy-concert/ 

Good news has come from our political leader. Angela Merkel is back from her quarantine.

Life in my town is continuing in its weird state with no big news, somewhat thankfully. Fewer and fewer cars on the roads. Quiet, even barge traffic on the Rhine is a little reduced.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Here in Germany, just like in so many countries, musicians are streaming concerts from their home. On 22 March musicians were asked to play "Ode to Joy" from their window. It is a poem by Friedrich Schiller set to music by Ludwig van Beethoven which he incorporated into his 9th Symphony. This is the article on it: https://www.dw.com/en/beethovens-ode-to-joy-rings-out-during-the-corona-crisis/a-52894646 

An orchestra in Rotterdam went even further and recorded it: https://www.classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/rotterdam-philharmonic-virtual-ode-to-joy-concert/ 

Good news has come from our political leader. Angela Merkel is back from her quarantine.

Life in my town is continuing in its weird state with no big news, somewhat thankfully. Fewer and fewer cars on the roads. Quiet, even barge traffic on the Rhine is a little reduced.

notamermaid

Wonderful music - brought tears to my eyes!  Thank you so much for sharing.  I really need that this morning....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daisi said:

Hospitals are saying they are ok - tired but still ok as far as beds go.  Masks & gloves are getting in short supply, however by next week, hopefully that will be resolved. 

Daisi - I am actually a bit concerned about mask supply... Donald Trump has ordered 3M to stop shipping masks to Canada.  The Canadian government and 3M are both arguing that this is *not* a good idea (it may spark retaliatory responses that are detrimental to everyone....)  - but at this point, he has not softened his stance. 

I am a retired health care worker (nurse) - and am very worried about our front line workers.  This isn't just doctors and nurses - but clerical, cleaning, dietary staff...  And while hospitals are the main concern, retirement and nursing homes are also at risk.

Still trying to flatten the curve in Ontario - but we aren't there yet.  

Our provincial government is reducing the list of "essential" services today.  Tougher times ahead for all.

Fran

2 hours ago, franski said:

Daisi - I am actually a bit concerned about mask supply... Donald Trump has ordered 3M to stop shipping masks to Canada.  The Canadian government and 3M are both arguing that this is *not* a good idea (it may spark retaliatory responses that are detrimental to everyone....)  - but at this point, he has not softened his stance. 

I am a retired health care worker (nurse) - and am very worried about our front line workers.  This isn't just doctors and nurses - but clerical, cleaning, dietary staff...  And while hospitals are the main concern, retirement and nursing homes are also at risk.

Still trying to flatten the curve in Ontario - but we aren't there yet.  

Our provincial government is reducing the list of "essential" services today.  Tougher times ahead for all.

Fran

Yes, I saw that about 3M...although it sounds as if they and the CDN Gov't. are working to convince him otherwise, I even heard 3M has said that if that happens, US can be left out of some supplies from other countries.  We all, every country, have to work together, this isn't a my country or your country thing, it's global.  When it broke in China, countries sent supplies to help them, and now that they are getting a bit better, they are returning the favour.

I worry more about the clerical, cleaning, dietary staff, as well as those who are in grocery stores and the few areas that are still open to public.  Yes, they are provided with gloves, and cleaner to try to clean after every customer, but still, they are in much closer contact than 6 feet.  The scariest thing is, you don't always know you have it until after you have passed it on to someone. 

Take care Fran, and hopefully the projections provided today are more scare tactics to make us stay in, and we won't be hit as hard as they think.  Time will only tell.....

here in Ohio we are stay at home level.  Yesterday DH went to Lowe's (Large hardware store). for soil for our raised bed planters(3feet high) for our summer veg.  He found pansies, so today will fill the planter tubs out front. Out in the yard still remnants of last year's tornadoes  .  Hope our trip in Sept. is a go.  Supposed to sail Rome-Athens with 3 days in Israel Rome embarkation will probably change.  As they say "it is what it is". Looking forward to a time when our  extended family can be together again.  Early Happy Passover and Happy Easter.  Pat

Just text chatted with  my son, who recently touched bases with his undergrad roommate, who is now a 4th year medical student in NYC.  Don't know what's happening with classes, but it's all hands on deck at the hospital affiliated with the medical school.  Young man in question worked 100 HOURS last week.

Must be what working in a war zone is like.

We hope and pray for his safety, as we know him quite well.

Edited by sharkster77

32 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Just text chatted with  my son, who recently touched bases with his undergrad roommate, who is now a 4th year medical student in NYC.  Don't know what's happening with classes, but it's all hands on deck at the hospital affiliated with the medical school.  Young man in question worked 100 HOURS last week.

Must be what working in a war zone is like.

We hope and pray for his safety, as we know him quite well.

Hi, thank him for his service.

This afternoon the Ontario Government issued, to our televisions, radios and cell phones, an Emergency Alert on COVID-19. In part it reads ... " Everyone but essential workers need to stay home. Only go out if absolutely necessary to pick up groceries, prescriptions or go to a medical appointment."  It can't be any clearer than that!  As they are saying in our area: this is definitely not a drill. Very sobering indeed. A million thanks for the front line workers who will get us through this.  Stay safe and healthy everyone until we can come back to Cruise Critic to swap opinions and recommendations on Excursions on the rivers. 

• Like 1