River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

We are from Brisbane, Australia. The Government has already issued a level 4 - "Do not travel" advice worldwide indefinitely. Our borders are in the process of being  closed. Some states are also about to close their borders. We too have had a rush on toilet paper, paper towel and hand sanitiser, but if you are there at the right time there are pallet loads continually arriving. 

Local airlines have suspended flights on some routes till end of May, both internationally and domestically (I am sure more are to come). From today restaurants/coffee shops to close - only take away or delivery. Clubs and Pubs, Churches, Cinemas,Gyms Indoor sports centres to close. Supermarkets, Garages ,Bottle Shops open as well as supply chain transport. Schools remain open at present.

We are in the slow process of cancelling our June European holiday - awaiting for Avalon (Aust) to announce cruise cancelled (It has been done on the US page). We were going to Oberammagau on a river cruise and the Passion Play has been postponed for 2 years. 

Try and stay safe and well

Jan

Hello from the Dallas area. Dallas County has just received a shelter in place order, effective tomorrow at midnight. Most of the people I know have been self-isolating for the last week or so, however, yesterday on my daily solo walk, I was surprised to see a group of parents and children at the playground 😞  — We’ve been somewhat behind other major areas regarding restrictions (I have close relatives in Boston, DC and Miami) perhaps because we didn’t have our first identified case until March 11.  Unfortunately we are catching up now.  God Bless Everyone and Stay Well!

In Germany we are now down to two people together in public only. Shop closures widened to everything that is unnecessary for daily life and where hygiene/distance cannot be maintained, like hairdressers. That is now nationwide but Bavaria has got minimally stricter rules. It was confusing before as all the 16 federal states had differed a little. Restaurants only pick up or delivery. Most companies still running but I have heard of cases of them having greatly reduced staff. Local governments meeting in teleconference only where possible. People sticking to rules very much in Rhineland-Palatinate where I am, but the figures prompted the authorities to go further yesterday. Hardly anybody on the streets, at the bakers yesterday a couple waited patiently outside till I came out of the shop as it is small. In my area so far people are quite well behaved. Seems to be working. Strange feeling of being off work and not wanting to be, but glad to escape the risk coming from customers. The closest case is only about one kilometre away from me now, the figures all around in mine and other counties are rising. I am glad I do not live in a major city.

I love all the ideas and offers from enterprises great and small around the world to help out by changing their production lines to ethanol, protection gear and so on.

Normality is still there in that barges are still going up and down the Rhine, standing at the river bank is really calming.

Take care.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Clarification
  • Like 2

Jazzabeau, great cartoons have shared with our ever growing, WhatsApp, Zoom and other groups around the UK. Being in the over 70’s division apart from being confined to walks with my dh and scooting around others we may come across we’re  considering other ways of getting together without getting together! If you get my meaning. We have nationally had two challenges recently that I believe no one could have envisaged, one taking to the wide open spaces - basically we don’t have them as other countries do so our National parks got stuffed! Then the underground it’s always congested so why the surprise when it happened this morning. We will get it sorted we have in the past and we will do again. We arrived back in the UK from California three weeks ago after a fantastic two week holiday, thank you California, the - expletive deleted - hit the fan shortly after our return, if it’s our last holiday at least it was a good one. Stiff upper lip and carry one hand washing CA

Hello all, I live in Canada's capital a city just over 1 million. Other Ontario posters have accurately depicted what's going on, or  not going on really. The city's residents, as far I can see from limited outings, are paying attention to the common sense 'stay at home, social distancing, don't go out unless you absolutely have to' rules. We go out for  fresh air and a quick walk either very early or very late and to be honest anyone we see crosses to the other side of the street or we do!! We did the grocers run Sunday morning at 7am for the senior only population and there were just 5 or 6 customers inside. Yes, it is a challenge to stay inside day after day but these are such unprecedented  times so we just do what we have to. Stay safe and stay well everyone.

Hello from Louisiana, U.S. We had been requested to stay in and practice social distancing, etc for the past week, but yesterday our state went into mandatory lockdown.  We are over 800 positive cases, which is a lot for our population size. The extra measure of lockdown was probably needed - many people born and raised in Louisiana have faced hurricanes and flooding often, and have a bit of a "carry on and survive" mentality. 

All non-essential businesses are ordered closed, and you should not leave your home except for food, medicine, or to care for a person or pet, or exercise. My hairdresser sent a text yesterday saying my hair appointment for this Thursday is cancelled, so I guess the world is about to find out that rather than being a redhead, I'm totally gray haired!

DH and I have been staying to ourselves for a week now. We take a long walk every day at a local park, and notice that each day more people are there getting exercise and fresh air. Other than that, we have ventured out a few times for groceries or take out food. Meat has been very scarce at the grocery store, and Friday I came home with a turkey, an unusual choice for us, but it was there and is something fun and different. We have cocktails on our back porch in the evening and yesterday I said, "I like this bar a lot, the drink prices are very good and they know how to make a great martini. Problem is, the same people are here every day." We have watched a lot of TV shows and movies, and currently are obsessed with the docu-series "Tiger King", it's TV gold. Everything seems so small and quiet. 

I am a travel agent, and can easily work from home. I am spending lots of hours cancelling trips that I spent lots of hours putting together. I feel like I go to work every day to reduce my income, it's an odd feeling. Some days I get down and have to pull myself out of this.

I'm watching my personal trips start to unravel as well. We were scheduled to fly to Virginia to visit my 80-year-old Mom this past weekend, but cancelled out of worry of what we could bring to her in way of germs. We have a trip to Puerto Vallarta to celebrate a friends' birthday in April, and I have a feeling that won't occur. I was booked for 11 days in Kenya in May, but the provider cancelled a few days ago. I'm booked for a river cruise in the South of France for July and am hoping with all hope that things come together. I haven't started to worry about trips for Fall and beyond yet. I can say we were fortunate to have spent 4 weeks in Asia in January, traveling from Bali to Japan with lots of places in between, and I'm so happy that we had that opportunity. 

I saw an interesting post yesterday from a local Assisted Living Center for senior citizens. As they cannot have visitors, the staff were making an appeal to the public to send letters and cards to the residents there, not particular residents just in general to the facility, so that the staff could keep them engaged with the outside world. I thought that was a nice idea. 

I'll be happy when this is all in our rear view mirror, and we can get back to enjoying life and planning great adventures.

Cheers to you all!

1 hour ago, Bake apple said:

Hello all, I live in Canada's capital a city just over 1 million. Other Ontario posters have accurately depicted what's going on, or  not going on really. The city's residents, as far I can see from limited outings, are paying attention to the common sense 'stay at home, social distancing, don't go out unless you absolutely have to' rules. We go out for  fresh air and a quick walk either very early or very late and to be honest anyone we see crosses to the other side of the street or we do!! We did the grocers run Sunday morning at 7am for the senior only population and there were just 5 or 6 customers inside. Yes, it is a challenge to stay inside day after day but these are such unprecedented  times so we just do what we have to. Stay safe and stay well everyone.

Bake apple, we decided since it was a nice day yesterday we would drive up to the City to see how things were.  It was nice to see people standing in a well spaced circle chatting and others walking in pairs.  It felt funny seeing more people walking than cars on the road, but was really nice to be able to drive around downtown and not have to worry about traffic.  Hopefully, if everyone keeps up, we won't need a "stay in place" order.  Most of the snow-birds should be back by now, so hopefully in another 2 weeks we will see how it's working.

I see Chancellor Merkel is in quarantine after a doctor has tested positive.  

@Host Jazzbeau 

Thank you for the lovely collection of photos and the message. Laughter and hope is what we need.

@Daisi 

Our chancellor has had a first test done that came up negative. And we are told she is feeling fine. Article of the law has kicked in automatically, so Olaf Scholz is "deputy" and will chair the next meeting on Wednesday.

All in all, Germany is still doing okay under the circumstances. So well that two hospitals have had gravely ill patients flown in from France and Italy.

My gratitude to all doctors and nurses out there who work ceaselessly and risk their lives helping others.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Missing word
  • Like 3

On 3/22/2020 at 7:45 AM, Lois R said:

Hi Jazz, a suburb outside of the city? Hmmm...…..Westchester County? I hope not, for both you and your wife. I know the areas. Lots of suburbs are just one drive over the bridge.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:44 AM, jpalbny said:

Lois, I think Jazz is on Long Island. Last night, Chris talked to a friend of hers who lives there and she said that the liquor stores around her were closed. Guess they must live in the wrong part...

I prefer to keep my exact location a little vague.  Let's just say that I'm broadcasting from the Purple Grotto...

https://bayarearadio.org/audio/al-jazzbeaux-collins-jazzbo

• Like 1

Purple Grotto, a nice name. Should be the name of a bar. Good music, just a few people, keeping at a nice distance. I am imagining the scene of a club accessed by four steps down, dimmed lighting...

I try to hide in my flat, hoping the invisible wolf won't bite. But I still go shopping and for walks.

We are still allowed to leave the house at leisure in Rhineland-Palatinate. Contrary to what I wrote before, not only Bavaria is stricter. It is our federal Flickenteppich (patchwork rug) of measures that we wanted to get rid of. It did not quite work.

Here are some of the lockdown measures in Europe: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-what-are-the-lockdown-measures-across-europe/a-52905137 

We now have a shortage of agricultural workers as many seasonal workers and "harvest helpers" - those mainly from Eastern Europe - are not allowed into Germany. The authorities in Rhineland-Palatinate have started a scheme plus website which aims to bring farmers in contact with students, those from the hospitality trade and others that are currently not working. Spring with a shortage of white asparagus and German strawberries, unthinkable! 😀 

notamermaid

14 hours ago, notamermaid said:

We now have a shortage of agricultural workers as many seasonal workers and "harvest helpers" - those mainly from Eastern Europe - are not allowed into Germany. The authorities in Rhineland-Palatinate have started a scheme plus website which aims to bring farmers in contact with students, those from the hospitality trade and others that are currently not working. Spring with a shortage of white asparagus and German strawberries, unthinkable! 😀 

notamermaid

No white asparagus? Oh no! We always travel in late March/early April and that's a staple. At least the farmers are being creative in reaching out to those currently not working-that's quite a plan. Our Azamara Mediterranean cruise, scheduled to depart in 4 weeks, was officially canceled this week. I think we need to return to river cruising😃

Good morning friends.....I have been doing "clothing cleaning" all morning.  GOODWILL is getting a total of 8 (yes, 8) garbage bags full of clothing that hopefully a lot of other women can use in the future.

I recently retired (as of Dec 31st) and I was supposed to be getting ready for a 28 day retirement

trip but of course that did not happen. So, I decided to start re-organizing, cleaning out, etc.

I was going to do all this after returning home from the trip but figured I might as well start now.

Hey girls, ever go through your closets?:classic_wacko:...omg...…..need to

take a break!

On 3/22/2020 at 11:51 AM, steamboats said:

To be honest... this doesn´t work at all!! I do Nordic Walking frequently in a park area across the street. Actually today I have seen more people in the park than ever... families with 3 and 4 kids even on the closed playground. One family even placed pylons for a zig zag course on the walkway!! Others tried to teach their kids to ride their bicycle. We tried to keep the distance, walked through the muddy gras but it´s really hard when larger families simply stop and block the whole area. Small kids riding their bikes way ahead of their parents... There was less activity Friday afternoon... way less people. And of course all the dog owners met up at the usual places talking, blocking the walkway...

steamboats

We have a name for those people. Covidiots, I don’t know whether to use der, die, oder das.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Southern Jersey Philly ‘burbs have stay home, with exceptions. Among the less than common exceptions: building supply and hardware, liquor stores (the only place that can sell alcohol), and marijuana dispensaries. 
It’s Opening Day . . .  Play Ball

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

We have a name for those people. Covidiots, I don’t know whether to use der, die, oder das.

I like that. By analogy it should be der Covidiot and die Covidiotin for a female person. Die Covidioten is the plural. Oh my goodness, this has turned into a German lesson. Grin...

On a fun note, the statistics have come out today. Toilet paper sales in Germany are up by 700 percent in March compared to February. Where do people stockpile it all, cellars are a bit damp!?

notamermaid

Just now, pacmom said:

Yes, the toilet paper conundrum!!!! can't imagine why it is being stockpiled.

Thank you for adding brightness to my rainy day here in Ohio.  Spring flowers and trees are loving the rain.

Blessings, Pat

The toilet paper hoarding is happening world-wide. Who would have thought?

• Like 1

Terry and Mike, it looks like Louisiana is now getting hit REALLY BADLY:classic_sad: sending you

my best wishes and hope you are both ok.

That toilet paper issue? OMG......not just TP......napkins and paper towels too!

Latest news in Ontario...if you are ordering food for takeout / delivery you can now get adult beverages included with your order.  Assuming the food establishment already served alcohol.

Senior citizens have the advantage of grocery shopping at select chains for an hour before regular shopping hours.   Being able to purchase beer along with my eggs and bread at 7am does lead to an interesting outcome for the rest of the day.

Did you hear...John Travolta thought he had covid-19. Turns out it was only Saturday night  fever.  😊

RB

4 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

It's been mentioned in the news that the rapid spread of the virus in Louisiana is probably related to large crowdes attending Mardi Gras celebrations.

I remember seeing those crowds and thinking "this is really not a good idea"