River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Very nice CA.  From having very little snow (farmers were starting to get worried), it looks like we are going to get our years worth this month.  We are lucky though, it's only coming down at a rate of 10 - 20 cm...with a day's break to clean up! 🙂  Mind you, temps have been mild for most of the winter, we had 3-4 days where we hit the upper -20's, but I still haven't worn my winter coat or shoes yet so not complaining.

Spring should be coming soon, March can be a wicked month...lots of snow or lots of melting bringing on spring floods.  Not sure which I am looking for.

It’s 70F in Dallas!  The snow is just a memory!  It felt so good to be outside for a while today. Our daughter is still with us since the water is shut off in her townhome due to broken pipes.  While we enjoy having her and our grandson (who is doing virtual school) here, I’m hoping they can get back in their home soon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

It’s 70F in Dallas!  The snow is just a memory!  It felt so good to be outside for a while today. Our daughter is still with us since the water is shut off in her townhome due to broken pipes.  While we enjoy having her and our grandson (who is doing virtual school) here, I’m hoping they can get back in their home soon.

Glad it has warmed up for you!  Some of the news stories are still pretty bad......as you mentioned, the busted pipes and I keep seeing these folks who have 

received their electric bills for $7grand, $10 grand, etc.........😲

What a mess!😦

Texas has a strange way of doing electricity billing.  Although we all share the same lines, each home/business chooses an electric company.  So your neighbor can have a different electric company then yours.  We have a contract with our company that sells us the electricity per kwatt.  Our cost per kwatt is set through October this year.  Those that have the high bills did not choose this type of contract and are really stuck with some painful bills.

In October we can pick another company and contract if we choose.  Weird right?  Our bill varies from month to month depending on our usage. We came from Nebraska where there was one company and we were on a payment plan of so much a month so the bill was always the same for a year.  Then the payment plan would be adjusted for another year.

Edited by cruiselvr04

2 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Texas has a strange way of doing electricity billing.  Although we all share the same lines, each home/business chooses an electric company.  So your neighbor can have a different electric company then yours.  We have a contract with our company that sells us the electricity per kwatt.  Our cost per kwatt is set through October this year.  Those that have the high bills did not choose this type of contract and are really stuck with some painful bills.

In October we can pick another company and contract if we choose.  Weird right?  Our bill varies from month to month depending on our usage. We came from Nebraska where there was one company and we were on a payment plan of so much a month so the bill was always the same for a year.  Then the payment plan would be adjusted for another year.

Thanks for the explanation.  I have learned a few things about Texas in the past week......one is

about the "GRID"...........and because your state does not want to be regulated, that Grid really

messed things up for folks.  Looks like ERCOT is in deep -----. 

Then you can come up to Ontario... where my parents live, they are on the "border" of city hydro & provincial - literally the road is the divider.  A few years ago, they installed new poles so the "city" hydro runs on one side of the pole, and lines for the provincial billings ran on the other.  Both come out of the same station.  Those in the city pay quite a bit less than those who are stuck with the province.  When the province made the city take over a batch of rural areas, they didn't make them supply the hydro - of course, that would mean the province would miss out on the revenue.  Now, some people live in the city but are covered by the province, so if there is a power outage, one side of the road has power, the other not.  Add that in with a town that was built on the corners of 4 townships, with feeds coming in all 4 directions, it can be interesting trying to figure out who has power. 🙂

Daisi, we have a word for that in dialect - Durjenanner That means Durcheinander meaning jumble, or better in this case: a mess.

Interesting that with the Texas grid - saw the explanation on CNN.

I also have a different provider from my neighbour for example because I choose to, but the grid stays the same as regards hardware, we rarely have problems in my area it is quite well regulated. Touch wood...

notamermaid

Here we have companies that will switch you automatically to whichever supplier is the best value at the time, your choice if you use them or just stay with the one you choose to use.
Many years ago when we were first married we lived in a semi detached bungalow for some reason the electric supply switch over was between us and our neighbour. There was a strike by power workers and the electric was rationed, us on them off, easily rectified with leads from one side to the other so we were never inconvenienced and luckily we weren’t found out. CA

Yesterday, kindergartens and primary schools reopened. After the warm weekend and the fun they all had in playgrounds mixing with others I am waiting to hear of cases shutting down classes again soon. They make the adults wear masks in pedestrian precincts where there are hardly any people, but the parents and children sit on benches in the parks with food and drink and masks under their chins (if they wear any). It is outdoors, but how many people does it take to use up air and spread the virus if they stand so close for a long time in one spot? I do not know.

We have reached a plateau as regards the infection rate and the variants may be already showing us that it could get worse again. At this point in time I cannot see how we can turn this around without keeping the country in its current locked down state for the whole of March. Frustrating.

We have been informed that we have not really had a flu season as such, far fewer cases than in other winters. No surprise...

Took me an hour or so to get back into work mode, especially as my work environment was without any colleagues, the door was locked the whole time as I cannot have visitors and the phone is set to answering machine. A typical "we continue working for you in the background" situation.

notamermaid

We are thinking of canceling our Rhine river cruise for the end of June. (Avalon).  Even if the cruise would go it looks like the land excursions may be not be able to happen if places are not opened.  We were also going to go to Paris and London after the cruise and that is not looking good.  We will have our shots by then but if we cannot see what we want, why go.  Looking for responses from people living in these areas.

Stay healthy everyone

Judicruise1, that is a difficult one. I reckon many people would advice you to wait till AvalonWaterways cancels. The problem is that the June cruises of Avalon might well run if they think Europe is open enough and the UK customers are confident with all the vaccinations that have been administered by then.

The truth is that nobody knows what will happen in June along the Rhine. I am confident that German cruises will run within Germany. UK operated ships will run if Europe lets UK people in.

There you have one of the major obstacles: will Europe let people from America into the country(ies)? Will you be allowed to travel from Amsterdam to London? Or Paris?

One thing I will predict is that you will have to stick to the health protocols of each country and that may well be restrictive: like queuing at a certain venue, giving your personal details at a restaurant and waiting in line for a table. No crowding, reduced capacity for guided tours (which will partly be out of control of the cruise line, i.e. the cruise line may allow 20 people, local authority not allow gatherings of over 10), etc. We have no idea what it will be like in June, but I can tell you that the current protocol is for Germany to have restrictions in place as soon as an area has an incidence rate of 35 for a week. You may be in Strasbourg, but the following day you cannot visit a certain place in Germany for example, this is a scenario that I expect to be there in March, April and May. It could happen in June, perhaps less likely, but be prepared for it.

Just do not expect to be able to do the programme you have intended from beginning to end.

Tourism desperately wants to be up and running in Europe, the sooner the better. But it is easier said than done. In essence, the continent will not be back to normal in June. Details can only be a mix of speculation, anticipation and feeling at this point.

notamermaid

France, the region that borders on my state to be precise, has seen an increase in infections, so there are more border checks and there is more testing for commuters. We are still not getting down to the incidence rate of 35, it is actually higher than it was last week. Nevertheless, hairdressers and zoos (outdoor facilities only) can open on Monday.

River cruises prohibited till 7 March of course, but there is strong evidence that the ban will be extended as there is no indication that hotels can open from 8 March.

AstraZeneca has finally acknowledged problems with the EU delivery: https://m.dw.com/en/coronavirus-astrazeneca-admits-huge-vaccine-shortfall-for-eu/a-56707857

notamermaid

31 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Canada just approved AstraZeneca today. This news doesn't sound helpful for us either.

I am glad to read that at least the approval is there. Things are going so slowly in the EU, here in Germany we have now actually achieved to administer 150,000 vaccines each on four different days, that is better than two weeks ago, but it still feels painfully slow. My neighbour who is over 80 waited weeks to get his first appointment. Still less than 5 percent of the population has received the first shot. When we open up the country in April/May I feel I will be "the idiot in the middle" who is not eligible for a vaccine but too old to not feel concerned about catching it. I will be working among the healthy young and serving the "privileged" old. Yes, my frustration is mounting. And doctors warn of lethargy and mental illness among the German population. They have a point, but I do not want to hear any comments like "when can I go on Summer holiday" in the media or from people. Plain annoying. All I want is a trip to the Koblenz library (for research), shopping for a day in Luxembourg and a museum visit.

The EU is now discussing a vaccination passport. Not for next week or the week after, but Summer. That will be interesting when it comes to the idea of privilege and discrimination which will inevitably come as an afterthought of the "let us help tourism" idea - and the more important thought at that. In Britain many online petitions have already been filed against such a passport, I read.

notamermaid

• Like 1

There may be online petitions, I have yet to see one. No one seems to complain when you have to have specific vaccinations for entry into some countries. Some of the conspiracy theories around the vaccines are simply stupid and/or are aimed at specific sections of the population which I find extremely worrisome. Why should anyone think that someone else is privileged if they get a vaccine passport because they’ve had the vaccinations  when that person has refused the vaccine. I would hope there would be provision made for anyone who for whatever reason cannot have the vaccine.
Im so impressed with our health professionals and volunteers for their efforts so far. CA

That is exactly my worry. It will be exploited by those around the fringes. We have a long history of vaccination and politics in Germany, so that is where I am coming from in my thoughts. The idea/notion/feeling of privilege should go away once the vaccine can be had by anyone, but I think the thought of there being a benefit you can have from it that is exploitable can stay, also something an authority could exploit (meaning some people think the authorities will not be nice to them). This I think will be and stay in the back of some people's minds. I have seen "exploitation" happen with mask-wearing and not mask-wearing, i.e. somebody tried it with an exemption in a shop - I refused to go in at the same time, meaning I had to step back in order not reduce my risk of becoming a part in a potential infection chain. Correct or not on their part I cannot say as I did not see the paper. I would have refused to serve them indoors (it was a small shop), the circumstances were okay for doing it that way. It is the lack of solidarity in this transition period that I am afraid of. I prefer to believe in the good, but I have seen too much of the not so good. I cannot rely on people telling the truth, I have to feel safe and expect people to understand it. Almost all the time it works, occasionally I have to remind people - twice in shops in the last three weeks for example.

What other governments ask for I am happy to accept which will be easier to bear once I can get a vaccine. If the UK decides to keep me out and grant privileged entry to the vaccinated Europeans - so be it, there is nothing I can do about it while I cannot get a vaccine. It will work out in the end and I hope I can see my dear people in Kent this year. I see a chance now if we can get B1117 (formerly known as the Kent variant) under control.

notamermaid

I just received an email from Vanderbilt University Medical Center saying I'm eligible to sign up for my 1st dose💉 .  Went online and got an appt. next Tuesday.  I'll be getting the Pfizer vaccine.

Hallelujah and pass the collection plate! 👼

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I just received an email from Vanderbilt University Medical Center saying I'm eligible to sign up for my 1st dose💉 .  Went online and got an appt. next Tuesday.  I'll be getting the Pfizer vaccine.

Hallelujah and pass the collection plate! 👼

Congrats Roz🙂

• Like 1

All of you welcome to the first vac brigade, I don’t give a dam as to wether i get a Pfizer second (to match my first) or any other as it looks like mix and match could be the way to go for greater protection. We’re now vaccinating the 45 to 40s and several slightly older friends have got dates for their second jabs. Onwards and upwards and hope the no sayers are stuffed. CA

Even with our bad weather last week in Texas, we got our second Moderna shot on time on the 24th. We did get just a tad of a reaction, chills, achy no fever but 36 hours later all good. We just took it easy the next day and slept it off. I am worried about our November trip--as we have travelled so much we do not want to take most of the offered excursions, and have a ten day land trip planned between two river cruises, not sure how or if will work.  If we cannot get off on our own I cant imagine going. Oh well, it's a waiting game.....

• Like 1

By the next 18 months;  people all around the world will have their Covid vaccinations and booster shots.  It will be a normal thing, just like the flu shot is every year.  Its nice to know things are looking up. 

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

All of you welcome to the first vac brigade, I don’t give a dam as to wether i get a Pfizer second (to match my first) or any other as it looks like mix and match could be the way to go for greater protection. We’re now vaccinating the 45 to 40s and several slightly older friends have got dates for their second jabs. Onwards and upwards and hope the no sayers are stuffed. CA

UK is vaccinating those age 40-45 - wow! My county is on age 71.

Don’t worry you’ll catch up we did have a bit of a jump start. Reading everything available it’s thanks to our health minister who got the orders in very early and that we have our NHS so the information required is already available. It doesn’t always work but it did this time, fingers crossed it continues to do so. CA

• Like 1