River Cruisers: How Are Things Where YOU Are?

Host Jazzbeau

Thanks for the article. Prof. Greinacher is a German professor at Greifswald. When I looked into vaccines many years ago I found out that they contain heavy metals and preservatives which can be problematic for a few people. Interesting that about EDTA, it is so "benign" normally that it is used in tons of stuff. Odd that it should have such an effect in the vector vaccine. Will be interesting to see what the professor finds out with J&J. The mRNA vaccines should have something in them apart from the active ingredients as well, but I wonder if it something completely different and the frozen storage is needed because of the stuff that is not in? But why on earth would it be worse for women and younger people, the inflammation? Why only some people? Much to ponder over - too much for my non-medical brain. Fascinating though, we do need to find out what it is. Well, AstraZeneca does.

notamermaid

PF4 is involved in the pathogenesis of HIT (a disorder where heparin paradoxically causes clotting through an antibody-mediated mechanism). That, we somewhat know how to treat.

I read a case series this week where the vaccine-induced clotting was reversed with IVIG (intravenous immunoglobulins) which could fit along with a PF4 related mechanism.

Promising developments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canal archive said:

I say all hail over the world to our researching scientists. During this pandemic we’ve all come to realise the worth of R and D. In my youth many companies had R & D departments then they gradually disappeared. There proving themselves now, CA

Some of the great discoveries came from corporate R&D departments that were given free rein to do basic research.  Then the bean counters started expecting R&D to pay off immediately, along with the shift to quarterly results focus on Wall Street.  Neither was a good thing.  [Not quite the same, but kinda:  3M invented Post-It Notes because a batch of glue came out wimpy, but an 'outside-the-box' scientist realized that wimpy glue could have other uses – uses that turned into a Gold Mine for 3M.]

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

[Not quite the same, but kinda:  3M invented Post-It Notes because a batch of glue came out wimpy, but an 'outside-the-box' scientist realized that wimpy glue could have other uses – uses that turned into a Gold Mine for 3M.]

Speaking of Post-It-Notes, a co-inventor died May 8th.  Spencer Silver, inventor who made the Post-it Note stick, dies at 80 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/spencer-silver-dead/2021/05/13/5ad35534-b406-11eb-ab43-bebddc5a0f65_story.html).

The Post-it Note was credited to two principal inventors — Dr. Silver, tasked by 3M in 1968 with creating a new superstrong adhesive, and Art Fry, a colleague who discovered an application for the intriguing substance that Dr. Silver produced.

In my youth I worked for an electronics company as a technical illustrator mostly on satellites, in the early days at least all the hush, hush secret squirrel stuff inside was held in place safely by expanding foam. My office was on a mezzanine floor above the chemi lab where they developed this stuff. So much fun to watch and listen to getting to the how they wanted it to work. Over expansion was a favourite along with hollow shells and exploding versions until it worked properly, there’s R & D for you. CA

Things are certainly looking better here, but I still do not trust it... But let us just assume everything will go according to plan, so this is the projection for Germany: https://m.dw.com/en/in-projected-covid-rate-germany-sees-way-out-of-pandemic/a-57533691

A cautious model. Still, the end of the pandemic appears as a tiny light in the distance. The end of Covid-19 infections is just an unachievable dream in Germany. But let's be positive.

On Wednesday, 1,383,465 jabs were administered, a new record. A very dear relative was among those on Wednesday, so I am relieved about that.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Watching the FA cup final - soccer, Chelsea v Leicester, it’s heaving down with rain. Snacks and very good bottle of Malbec there is even 20,000 at the game no score yet
We are closing the gap between Covid jabs to try to counter the Indian variant and younger people are to be offered the vaccination. CA

I am sorry to say that Germany has put Britain back on the list of risk countries due to the Indian variant.

Good to read people can enjoy sports again with audience. What a pleasure it was to hear real clapping and cheering at the Snooker world championship! It was a study of course, scientifically accompanied. It will be interesting to read about results of the experiment.

notamermaid

It’s interesting because at last they have agreed that among the reasons for the Indian variant is multi generational living and failing to restrict those returning from India sooner. The powers that be are speeding up vaccinations where the incidents are most prolific. CA

20,000 were allowed at Wembley and the snooker seems to have been a resounding success it will be interesting to see the final findings. CA

Edited by Canal archive

In North-Rhine Westphalia, the last day of the Bundesliga football this season was supposed to be held with spectators of 500 in Cologne, but then "BEEEP" - the infection rate has gone back over 100, which activates the emergency brake, so out are the spectators...

Portugal, by the way, is definitely welcoming tourists again, the British mostly. If that is such a good idea with this Indian variant I do not know.

The incidence rate in Germany is steadily falling overall - apart from pockets like Cologne - but the warning is that this does not reflect the situation as the public holiday on Thursday and the weekend have meant fewer tests and results, we will see more accurate reflections of the situation later in the week. If you are interested in the fancy new invention of the dashboard - I have grown to like these - here is the one for the figures in Germany: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/478220a4c454480e823b17327b2bf1d4/page/page_1/

Pretty straightforward: you see the incidence rate in white at the top. The patchwork of colours means you see the municipalities, you can switch to the Bundesländer (states). Colour red is 100 plus, orange is under 100, dark yellow is under 50, light yellow is under 25. So if you want to go on holiday in Germany right now with ease, you can only really do that on a larger scale in the wilderness of Schleswig-Holstein in the North. But things will get better soon as reopening plans are in place all over the country. My state which you find left of the name Mannheim is doing okay compared to others. Main concern here right now is the city Ludwigshafen which is struggling to get things under control.

Yesterday I was in the garden of two relatives for the first time since Christmas. What a lovely half hour that was. They are both now fully vaccinated and will have completed the 14 day wait soon. So good to know. They have urged my to put myself on my GP's waiting list, so I will do that this week.

notamermaid

• Like 2

New developments - good ones. Austria is allowing river cruising from today! Announcement comes through A-ROSA giving their plans for the restart, but I have found the info on another site as well. Could not believe it at first... Staying in Austria, other news is that they will discontinue using the AstraZeneca, meaning phasing it out: https://www.thelocal.at/20210518/austria-to-phase-out-astrazeneca-vaccine/

Yesterday, I got a phone call from a museum saying that they are reopening today. I had put myself on their waiting list for a slot to see the latest exhibition, so I can now finally go and see it. Exciting! My, who would ever have thought a small event like that could feel like a grand opening...

I am still working from home, but the end to that is coming into view. I cannot even remember my last proper working day, some time in mid-December it was. The first day will be weird. I have "un-learnt" as we say, forgotten how to deal with customers. Apart from family I hardly ever talk to people.

notamermaid

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More news. Last post on this today, promise. :classic_wink:

EMA has issued new guidance on handling and storage of Comirnaty (the BioNTech/Pfizer) vaccine. Much longer fridge storage after thawing now possible. Easier by far: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/more-flexible-storage-conditions-biontechpfizers-covid-19-vaccine

Our health ministry has issued factboxes for download. Risk assessment for patients considering the mRNA vaccines. In many languages, kind of cool: https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/Infekt/Impfen/ImpfungenAZ/COVID-19/Faktenbox-Englisch.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

On the AstraZeneca vaccine they have a fact sheet in German which says that 95 percent of all adverse reactions classified as thromboembolic events have occurred in those under 60.

Here is a digest of news including easing of lock downs in France and Austria: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-digest-austria-france-ease-lockdowns/a-57576372

And the EU on allowing vaccinated people into the bloc: https://www.dw.com/en/eu-to-recommend-open-borders-to-fully-vaccinated-people/a-57581186

By the way, a new phrase appears to have been established in the German language realm: die drei g - the three g's. That means for example hotels open for those Geimpft, Getested, Genesen. You are either fully vaccinated, have a negative test or have recovered.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
added info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@notamermaidMy fave area in DE is Baden-Wurttemburgl. Now that the EU is open to fully vaccinated people I am anxious to get back there.  I checked a few days ago and it seems the towns are saying that museums, spas, etc are closed and restaurants are take away only.  When do you think things will reopen in that area?  TIA

@cruisr that is a question that I cannot really answer as the rules differ slightly from my state. The basics are that over 100 in a municipality the emergency break forbids opening and under 100 the state determines how much is opened. As Baden-Wurttemberg in general is not doing as well as Rhineland-Palatinate let us just call it they are a good week behind. It is not a good generalisation but it works for giving you an idea. I have linked the German dashboard above, there you can look up the colours, the lighter the colour the better the municipality is doing. For the specific rules within the incidence brackets one would need to look at them in detail.

Life in any German state will not return to normal in June, but it will definitely get easier.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Things are definitely moving along up here in Canada. Surprisingly, probably today, we expect to overtake the US for percentage of population (I'm not sure whether it is over 18 population or total) with at least one shot. (We are, I know, WAY behind on second shots.) We also, at the moment, have no idea about the number of people who have been vaccinated elsewhere, particularly in the US.

Last night's news showed line ups of young people (12 and up) who were excited to be able to get their first shot, and talked to those who were excited to have got theirs. Also, different areas of Ontario have opened their booking systems to young people.

Things are opening here in Ohio.  But the neatest thing is the arrival of great grand number 4.  Austin Melo arrived at 5:32 this morning.  We joke he is almost full grown at 22.5 inches long and weighing 9bs 13oz.  Good thing the blanket I'm knitting is quite large.

Lets enjoy the openings and return to work for many people.  Be well, Pat

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pacmom said:

Things are opening here in Ohio.  But the neatest thing is the arrival of great grand number 4.  Austin Melo arrived at 5:32 this morning.  We joke he is almost full grown at 22.5 inches long and weighing 9bs 13oz.  Good thing the blanket I'm knitting is quite large.

Lets enjoy the openings and return to work for many people.  Be well, Pat

Congrats!  Hope all are well...that's a nice healthy size!

Thanks for all the good wishes.  Yes he is a big boy, but both parents are over 6ft. tall.  His big sister is also tall for her age.  Can't wait to see him in person.  They live 600 miles away.  Pictures are wonderful. Be safe all.  Pat

A sunny but windy day today and good news all around.

Our health minister this morning said that Germany has officially broken the third wave. By Whit Monday 40 percent of all Germans will have had a first jab.

My library will reopen on Tuesday!

I have a "familiarization hour" scheduled at work next week! My colleagues, including the IT people, have been busy in the last few weeks in the background, so I need to learn some new computer stuff and see what else is different. First day back at work to be finalized next week.

I am on the vaccination waiting list!

Yesterday I saw on marinetraffic that the ship Viva Moments has been moved from the harbour on the Rhine onto the Moselle!

Soon the excursion ships will sail again and then from beginning of June the first river cruise ships will sail!

notamermaid

• Like 3