All US MSC ships docked in Miami

kelmac

As the Coronavirus bears down on everyone, it appears that MSC is paying the big bucks to keep their US ship fleet docked in Miami.  All four ships are there today. (3/21)

https://www.portmiamiwebcam.com

Most cruise lines are leaving their south Florida fleet anchored in groups just west of the Bahamas.  Every once in a while they return to port for supplies and fuel.  It will be interesting to see how long the MSC ships are allowed to remain at the Port of Miami.

PortMiami isn't charging any layup fees.  I think Port Everglades must be charging because there are very few ships docking there.  There are a couple large anchorages in the Bahamas.   One is about halfway between Bimini and Freeport, and the largest one is just west of CocoCay.  These areas must be fairly shallow with calm seas.  

I'm not sure how it's decided which ships can stay docked at PortMiami.  I would think whichever company pays the most docking fees (which I would think is Carnival), but I'm not sure about that.  Often times the MSC ships are anchored just off Miami Beach.  I'm surprised they don't keep one at Ocean Cay since there is a dock there.  Disney has been rotating its ships at Castaway Cay.  

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 3.17.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 3.19.11 PM.png

Edited by eroller

17 minutes ago, eroller said:

PortMiami isn't charging any layup fees.  I think Port Everglades must be charging because there are very few ships docking there.  There are a couple large anchorages in the Bahamas.   One is about halfway between Bimini and Freeport, and the largest one is just west of CocoCay.  These areas must be fairly shallow with calm seas.  

I'm not sure how it's decided which ships can stay docked at PortMiami.  I would think whichever company pays the most docking fees (which I would think is Carnival), but I'm not sure about that.  Often times the MSC ships are anchored just off Miami Beach.  I'm surprised they don't keep one at Ocean Cay since there is a dock there.  Disney has been rotating its ships at Castaway Cay.  

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 3.17.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 3.19.11 PM.png

Thanks Essiesmon and eroller!

I had no idea they waved the portage fees in Miami.  Great PR and I would imagine other ships could request some time there and a ship will leave and anchor outside of the port?  This could take months to smooth out, so it's interesting to see how the cruise lines are handling everything.

Enjoy!

Kel

Edited by kelmac

5 minutes ago, kelmac said:

Great PR and I would imagine other ships could request some time there and a ship will leave and anchor outside of the port?  This could take months to smooth out, so it's interesting to see how the cruise lines are handling everything.

I agree it's super interesting to watch it all unfold.  Super sad and I wish it wasn't happening, but very interesting to see how it's all handled and where cruise lines are sending ships.  To think all those ships have full crew compliments, it makes you wonder the atmosphere onboard.  They are all in what the industry calls a "hot layup", meaning they are ready to return to service at a moments notice.  

Captain Kate on CELEBRITY EDGE announced that every crew member gets their own balcony cabin until this is all over.  I thought that was super cool.  I hope other ships and cruise lines are doing that.    

• Like 2

The ships have been coming in and out on a regular basis in order for crew members to get off and fly home and likely replenish food. They have also been at anchor just outside Miami.

3 minutes ago, eroller said:

I agree it's super interesting to watch it all unfold.  Super sad and I wish it wasn't happening, but very interesting to see how it's all handled and where cruise lines are sending ships.  To think all those ships have full crew compliments, it makes you wonder the atmosphere onboard.  They are all in what the industry calls a "hot layup", meaning they are ready to return to service at a moments notice.  

Captain Kate on CELEBRITY EDGE announced that every crew member gets their own balcony cabin until this is all over.  I thought that was super cool.  I hope other ships and cruise lines are doing that.    

I agree about Captain Kate; we've sailed with her a couple of times and she represents everything ideal about a Captain and a leader.  Makes sense to give every staff member their own cabin for isolation purposes and I bet the morale on the Edge is top notch.  The crew is eating in the main dining room as well, which is a nice touch.  

We sailed on the Reflection the 2nd of March and were two days away from boarding HAL's Koningsdam for 44 days around South America, when they cancelled all cruises.  We had to scramble to book flights back home, but Southwest made the process so easy, without price gouging us.  

Our next cruise is in September -- we will see!🙂

Enjoy!

Kel

42 minutes ago, kelmac said:

I agree about Captain Kate; we've sailed with her a couple of times and she represents everything ideal about a Captain and a leader.  Makes sense to give every staff member their own cabin for isolation purposes and I bet the morale on the Edge is top notch.  The crew is eating in the main dining room as well, which is a nice touch.  

We sailed on the Reflection the 2nd of March and were two days away from boarding HAL's Koningsdam for 44 days around South America, when they cancelled all cruises.  We had to scramble to book flights back home, but Southwest made the process so easy, without price gouging us.  

Our next cruise is in September -- we will see!🙂

Enjoy!

Kel

I’m a big Celebrity fan but haven’t sailed EDGE yet.  Was supposed to last year then plans changed and we ended up on NEIUW STATENDAM. Great cruise and a “new” HAL, but still prefer Celebrity.  Just more my style.  

Supposed to be on QUEEN VICTORIA as we speak sailing to the U.K.   Obviously that isn’t happening.  So zero cruises booked at the moment which is highly unusual for me.  As you said ... we will see!  

20 minutes ago, eroller said:

So zero cruises booked at the moment which is highly unusual for me.  As you said ... we will see!  

You are not the only one, my friend.  It's been a long time since I haven't had a cruise booked in the near future.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, eroller said:

I’m a big Celebrity fan but haven’t sailed EDGE yet.  Was supposed to last year then plans changed and we ended up on NEIUW STATENDAM. Great cruise and a “new” HAL, but still prefer Celebrity.  Just more my style.  

Supposed to be on QUEEN VICTORIA as we speak sailing to the U.K.   Obviously that isn’t happening.  So zero cruises booked at the moment which is highly unusual for me.  As you said ... we will see!  

e,

I think we have similar tastes in cruising.  We did the World Cruise on the Queen Victoria last year for 80 days and it was wonderful.  Last fall we did a "six-pack" of cruises out of South Florida, which included the Edge, followed by the Nieuw Statendam.  HAL is so much better than just a few years ago, but like you say, Celebrity is our "go-to" line.  

Enjoy!

Kel

On 3/22/2020 at 2:17 PM, kelmac said:

e,

I think we have similar tastes in cruising.  We did the World Cruise on the Queen Victoria last year for 80 days and it was wonderful.  Last fall we did a "six-pack" of cruises out of South Florida, which included the Edge, followed by the Nieuw Statendam.  HAL is so much better than just a few years ago, but like you say, Celebrity is our "go-to" line.  

Enjoy!

Kel

We absolutely do.  I love Cunard and sail on them often, same with Celebrity.  Be really I sail on all the lines when there is a particular ship I want to try.  I love variety and I'm not loyal to any one line although I do have favorites.  Sounds like you are the same.   Happy Cruising .... eventually!