****CARNIVAL CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU LIVE???

Host Carolyn

Thanks, everyone, for continuing to share.  

Here in Michigan, what can I say?  As they say in the music business, we're #1 with a bullet.  The case numbers are so bad and increasing so quickly they're warping the numbers for the whole nation.  Our Governor seems extremely reluctant to do what really needs to be done.  She's talking about procuring and administering extra vaccine doses to try to outpace the surge.  It's a nice idea, but I doubt it will happen.  There's nothing I can do but hunker down, dream of better days, and hope not too many more people have to suffer.  Oh, and get my second dose - that's coming in two weeks.  No symptoms of note yet.

Me again.  Our Governor finally made her move yesterday.  She pleaded with us to do the right thing, but didn't actually put any new restrictions on.  I'll just say that it's risky to rely on vaccines and risk-adverse behavior to get us out of this while minimizing sickness and death.  The New York Times did an article today summarizing the situation.  For those that care, here's the link:  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/10/us/coronavirus-michigan-gretchen-whitmer.html .

In another 21 days I can ignore most of this madness and move on to further adventures.  Good luck to all of you in being allowed to do the same.

Blue, I am sorry to read that article.  I have a friend (?) who has basically moved to Florida from MI, but she hated your governor and thought the rules were stupid.  The problem in this country is that very few want to take responsibility or be responsible.  It goes against their grain.  I mean we are the country that sued McDonalds when a woman scalded her crotch with hot coffee by driving with a hot cup of coffee between her legs.  Once that case was over nobody thought twice about suing someone else when in fact their own actions put them in the situation that they got in.   

I too have a tiny universe that revolves around ,me, but I do watch out for other plant's orbits.  

Make sure that once you are fully vaccinated that you get to hug the people that you have missed the most!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick update:  Vaccination rollout going well but it is still hard to get appts here on Long Island.  My family is now fully vaccinated, except for dd30, who receives her 2nd Pfizer Saturday.  My local family-run pharmacy just called yesterday to say they got Moderna in - do we need a shot?  I gave her the name/phone #s  of 3 friends still unable to get appts, and they all are going in today for vaccine!  Yay!  NY is allowing restaurants/bars to now open until midnight starting Monday, and wedding venues can stay open until 1 a.m.  Dining here on the island is now 75% capacity.  Finally ate inside a restaurant (Applebees) this week for 1st time in over a year.    Ate early - 11:30, so it was just starting to get filled up as we left. Felt kind of weird eating inside.   Still planning on going to Disneyworld 5/1.  Giant step going from near isolation to thousands of people!  Hope all the rest of my cruise critic friends are doing well.  Have a great upcoming weekend.

• Thanks 1

Hello from Kansas. Things here are starting to return to a somewhat new normal. Vaccines are plentiful for all who chose to to get them. People still are wearing masks indoors but once outside you see very few wearing them. The general feeling is we have moved forward.

I traveled for business last week and the airplane was full coming and going and the arrival airport looked like a typical summer day full of what appeared to be families traveling leisurely.

Current hospital rates are down and new cases appear to be very at low levels.

Can’t wait to get back to cruising late in 2021 or early 2022.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sagittarius traveler said:

Disney have a new policy now that no masks worn outdoors but who knows how long that will last since up north have a new strand of the virus (that is what some news says im not sure )

Not true.  Disney did loosen the mask policy for photographs.  Can remove them, then must put them right back on.  Otherwise masks must be worn by all - including cast members- at all times except for when actively eating.  

• Thanks 1

Read this week, that 60,000 Americans  a week are getting Covid.  Just saw that 80% of the world is in a Red 4, meaning US residents shouldn't even consider going there (where ever there was) or is.  Doctors in the Atlanta area are still patient only.  If you go into the hospital the spouse cant go in.  I see less folks wearing masks, but the places we frequent are still requiring them. 

I also keep checking the "check your cruise" on Carnival's website, so far it is still listed, but i think things may change before then.

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone.  Thanks for sharing.  One last article about the situation here: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/04/20/michigan-british-covid-19-variant-coronavirus/7301291002/ .

I THINK this is the last big wave for us.  The vaccines will start to kick in more powerfully soon.  The weather is warming too.

Hi.  Michigan again.  In another two days I'll join that exclusive group of the fully vaccinated.  Yay!

But that's not why I'm here.  Our Governor had a press conference and she laid out a plan for lifting restrictions in exchange for hitting vaccination numbers.  For example, about 49% of Michiganders 16+ who have had at least one dose.  Two weeks after we get to 55%, then the requirement that workers who can work remotely must do so will go away.  This would get me back into the office full time, which I'd really like.  There are other steps along the way, and if we get to 70%, then all the restrictions will go away two weeks later.  We'll be Florida North, basically. 😄

That's all for today.  Back to lurk mode.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2021 at 7:32 AM, pe4all said:

NY down to 1.27% infection rate! Yay!

Finally driving up to Lake George area to visit our daughter this weekend. Did not do it last summer or fall because of the testing & quarentining conditions from NYS.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:15 PM, Joe817 said:

Hurry back H. B. ! I enjoy reading your posts, and thanks for keeping us informed!  👍

Thanks for the kind words.

It's been mostly good news here.  Last week the state changed its masking requirements outdoors to more closely match CDC recommendations.  Hospitalizations are down.  Cases are in retreat.  And we hit our first magic number - 55% of adults have had their first dose!  Yay!  That means I can go back to the office full-time until the next spike.

I hope things are going as well or better wherever you are.  

It's been a while since I last posted in this thread, so here are some updates from here in the DFW Metromess(LOL!) Things are totally opened here: restaurants, movie theaters, sporting events, etc. And we just noticed this morning that the local YMCA we go daily to work out, has dropped their mask and temperature check in requirement.

When we go to our local Kroger's, even though there's no mask requirement, you still see about 3/4 of the customers still masked up. Restaurants are now fully opened, even though many(if not most) of them are still requiring/requesting that we mask up before entering. Masks off as soon as we get seated. At the hardware stores, almost no one wears masks anymore.

The numbers of covid patients are still going down, down, down. Which is a good thing! I hope that trend continues. But so is the number of people getting vaxxed for covid. The number of places where you can get the covid vaccination are growing. The grocery stores that have pharmacies are now offering it(Kroger, Tom Thumb, Walmart, and others).  Even our largest churches are opening up vaccination sites. We are definitely headed in the right direction. 👍

• Thanks 1

Almost completely back to normal in my area in Florida. Masks no longer required at Walmart or Publix or restaurants if vaccinated. Disney no longer requiring masks outdoors. Pretty much everything that survived the pandemic is back open. 

• Thanks 1

NY down to .99% infection rate!  Restaurants and bars (as of today) are still at 75% capacity, but are now allowed to stay open past midnight.  And they just announced no more masks for vaccinated, except for mass transit, schools.  Big step - maybe a bit too fast.  And who knows who has or has not been vaccinated?

• Thanks 1

Breaking news! Just heard now on CBS11 news(local CBS affiliate) in DFW area. Our Governor, is banning(yes, Banning) the mask mandate for the entire State of Texas, effective as of May 21, 2021:

"Texas government entities are no longer allowed to mandate masks, Gov. Greg Abbott announced in an executive order on Tuesday.

The restriction bans counties, cities, school districts, public health authorities and government officials from requiring mask-wearing in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Government entities that don't adhere to this new restriction will be subject to a $1,000 fine.

"The Lone Star State continues to defeat COVID-19 through the use of widely-available vaccines, antibody therapeutic drugs, and safe practices utilized by Texans in our communities," said Abbott in a press release."

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/18/997990835/no-masks-are-required-at-most-texas-state-facilities-anymore#:~:text=Texas government entities are no,to the COVID-19 pandemic.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 12:56 PM, asalligo said:

Almost completely back to normal in my area in Florida. Masks no longer required at Walmart or Publix or restaurants if vaccinated. Disney no longer requiring masks outdoors. Pretty much everything that survived the pandemic is back open. 

That's great, but on Monday Florida had 94 deaths from Covid-the highest in weeks-so what counties should we avoid?

I don't think that the government should do that "ban" the mask.  It kept covid down, it kept the flu down, and if people feel safer wearing it, then what is the problem?  Georgia is only 30% vaccinated for Covid.  I feel a whole lot safer wearing a mask, and i have been vaccinated.  I don't think that Kemp in GA  would be able to get away with a non mask mandate at only 30% vaccinated.  Stay safe, stay well.

18 hours ago, marshhawk said:

That's great, but on Monday Florida had 94 deaths from Covid-the highest in weeks-so what counties should we avoid?

I don't think that the government should do that "ban" the mask.  It kept covid down, it kept the flu down, and if people feel safer wearing it, then what is the problem?  Georgia is only 30% vaccinated for Covid.  I feel a whole lot safer wearing a mask, and i have been vaccinated.  I don't think that Kemp in GA  would be able to get away with a non mask mandate at only 30% vaccinated.  Stay safe, stay well.

I haven't seen you in awhile

20 hours ago, marshhawk said:

You should avoid the Florida panhandle counties even though we have never had high numbers and lately very low numbers.  We have white sand and clear emerald water (Emerald Coast).  Our restaurants are wonderful and have been open since last May.  In fact most everything has been open since last May.  Most places here give you the freedom to wear or not wear a mask so you see fewer and fewer masks as the days go by.