MSC CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU LIVE??

Host Carolyn

Since we are all one big community we thought it would be a great idea to start a thread on each form so that our members can have a place to socialize during this time of social distancing or "stay in place" that we are all doing. Cruise Critic is a community and now is the time that we need to be able to socialize and show support for one another. All we ask is that you please show respect and kindness to each other and please also keep ALL politics off of this thread no matter where you live.  Everyone is frustrated and stressed but I know as a host I would like to know how you are doing.

Best wishes and good health to all of you. Be kind to each other.

Carolyn

• Like 2

Well, the upside is that we have more time to read CC!  Even though MSC is my favorite, It has been fun browsing lots of other sites here, especially the humor and the positive posts.  In just a few days, it has gone from "this is awful" to helping each other get through it.  I'm hoping we can keep this support going.

For those of us who are attracted to the earlier days of cruising, there is a terrific post on Royal Caribbean: "Song of Norway LIVE".  It's hilarious.  On HAL, there are several posts in which people are helping people get their older relatives home from a discontinued world cruise.  It is heart-warming.  On the Fashion & Beauty board there is support for all of us stuck at home.  On Carnival (and elsewhere) there is a photo of a ship lit up at night with the words "We Will Be Back".

I live in a senior complex, usually we have lots of activities to keep everyone happy. Sadly we are in lock down, no visitors or family. We are free to visit outside, but where do you go? No groceries in the stores that are open. Most restaurants take out only. Hey this is bad, thank heavens for the internet! 

I had TA on MSC Meraviglia planned for 4/12 , on March 9th still had plans to go. One of my friends advised that I should cancel, my answers was no way it would need to be a "pandemic" to keep me home. Be careful you wish for!

I'm a teacher and the schools for younger children are still open in Sweden. The problem is that lots of people are sick (hopefully not Corona!) so it's difficult to work! We are only 13 people working with the children in my school and today 8 were sick or home with sick children!

I will defenitely be tired tomight!

On 3/22/2020 at 12:20 PM, Host Carolyn said:

Where in western PA?  Grew up in the Burgh but spent lots of time in Zelienople and Butler area with grandparents. 

stay well!

We are in Ben Avon, just above the first lock and dam of the Ohio River.  We get to see boats like American Queen come through the lock.

There are also some major rail lines nearby.  I always enjoy seeing the MSC rail cars.  A diversified company!

We also live in a senior gated community in Florida, but on the Gulf Coast about half way down.  We are also in lock-down. However, we have been able to get out and get groceries, but DH and I wear masks and wash thoroughly when we return home.  I feel so bad for those who have contracted this terrible virus.  We are quite elderly, so we are being extra careful.  We have a cruise scheduled for end of September in Canada and New England are are thinking about canceling.  I hope this is over by then and if so, we might just go on it.  

On 3/23/2020 at 2:43 PM, shipgeeks said:

We are in Ben Avon, just above the first lock and dam of the Ohio River.  We get to see boats like American Queen come through the lock.

There are also some major rail lines nearby.  I always enjoy seeing the MSC rail cars.  A diversified company!

I lived in Emsworth, rode streetcar to the old Ben Avon High School and still in touch with some childhood friends. Be safe up there

• Like 1

With time to think Deep Thoughts, it is occurring to me that maybe DH and I are better prepared to weather this quarantine, at least supply-wise.

When we were kids, our parents always had a fallout shelter, stocked with survival foods and goods.

As a young adult, the stores where I lived were only open 9-5 on weekdays and 9-noon on Saturdays, so I had to have a stock of food and other products.  If I ran out of cheese or toilet paper, too bad.

I guess I always assumed that everyone kept a "stock" of basics, but apparently not.  Cars, 24-hour supermarkets, eating out on a regular basis, and delivery services have changed things.

We have been on lockdown for weeks, The children have been home for 6 weeks. Non essential workers for 5 weeks and everyone else 3 weeks ago. 
It’s  difficult staying home for so long but it’s life as we have become accustomed. A lot of people are dying here in Italy.

• 4 weeks later...

We live down the coast from San Francisco.

We have been on lockdown for almost 2 months. Grocery stores open. Some restaurants for take out only.

Have been ordering food from Amazon Fresh.

No schools or daycare. Senior center is closed..

I am a bit of a hoarder and have made a lot of progress going through things but there is NO WHERE to

donate anything!

Have the Seaside booked for the end of September but I am sure it will be cancelled.

We will wait for them to cancel as I am sure that way we get $$ back not FCC.

Still in the house after getting off my feb 23 cruise !! Feels like years !! MSc family hope all is well and stay safe !! us in north New Jersey getting hit hard !! ps msc when we getting our refunds 60 days and counting 

• 2 weeks later...

We have been on lockdown in Palm Springs since 3/17. The Governor locked the state down two days later. We only venture our to go to the grocery store. We are required to wear a face covering for mouth and nose if we venture out other than walks or hikes which we are allowed to do as long as we keep the six foot distance. We have to keep a mask with us when walking in case needed. 

Restaurants are still closed to dining in. Many have either remained open or have reopened for pickup and delivery. Salons/barber shops still closed. We make the best of it. We’re fortunate to have a nice private backyard and pool/spa to use so the walls do not feel as they’re closing in on us. Of course last week we hit 110 degrees. This week we’re cooler.🙂 No cruises other than a TA next October on the Odyssey of the Seas booked. Will play it by ear once we feel that it’s safe to travel. Stay safe everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I work in a Nursing Home here in NH, so I'm busy working the front lines.  We have been shut down to the public (unless there's a special circumstance) since March.  It's heartbreaking to see my residents spend so much time away from their families.  It's scary seeing all of us staff members wearing masks and goggles all day long.  It's getting difficult to keep everyone 6 feet apart as well.  Wearing the masks and goggles all day isn't easy either.

I've even had to stay away from my own family, except for my parents (whom I live with).  My mom works in the hospital, so neither one of us can get this virus without potentially infecting hundreds of others.  Half of my friends and family are all working the front lines of this virus, so in that regard, we're all in the same "ship"!  None of us have seen each other in weeks, but we all understand exactly what is at stake and follow the CDC guidelines to a "T".  We've even gone so far as to taking Vitamin C everyday and changing our clothes everyday after work so that we don't bring the virus in the house.  Any of our work clothes get immediately thrown in the wash when we get home.  

As far as the State itself, we are doing a progressive reopening.  Hair salons and golf courses are open with restrictions.  Restaurants are open if they offer outdoor seating, drive-thru, or curbside pickup.  Stores can now open as well, though many are still closed.  However, because of the population that I work with, I have to limit my outings so that I don't bring it in to work. I'm terrified of bringing the virus into work because if I do, I would be placing over 100 lives (including staff) in danger, and potentially killing someone. When I do go out, I have to wear a mask, as do my parents.  Some of the cities and towns nearby are requiring the same thing.  Schools are closed for the year, but the students are still doing online learning.  We have been in lockdown for almost 2 and a half months.

Edited by broadwaybaby123

@broadwaybaby123, THANK YOU!!!!! ---yes, I'm yelling it from way down in Florida because I want to be sure you hear it. I know there are thousands and thousands like you out there, but I can say this to you since you posted: "You are loved and appreciated far more than you can imagine. Hang in there, baby."

4 hours ago, Rhea98 said:

@broadwaybaby123, THANK YOU!!!!! ---yes, I'm yelling it from way down in Florida because I want to be sure you hear it. I know there are thousands and thousands like you out there, but I can say this to you since you posted: "You are loved and appreciated far more than you can imagine. Hang in there, baby."

Thank you!  It's just hard to keep spirits up.  However, we are doing our best: we often dance in the hallways or sing in the hallways for our residents.  We have one LNA who is expecting her first child, a little girl, in July (so the baby will most likely be born in this pandemic), so the staff threw her a Baby Shower!  We had to take a picture with everyone wearing their mask!  However, the residents and I are also throwing a "Special Delivery" (no gifts baby shower) for her, since she'll be bringing the baby to work a lot.  We wanted to do something special for her and honestly, it's been kind of a nice distraction from the pandemic.

However, once we throw one shower, we have to plan another!  Another LNA recently announced her pregnancy, so the residents and I will use the rest of the summer to plan for this baby, due in November.

In the meantime, I'm trying to think of creative ways to make my surgical mask less intimidating to the residents.  Many of them have memory issues, so not being able to see our smiling faces is a bit scary for them.  If it's a special occasion, I've been known to use my limited drawing skills to draw on my mask.  For instance, on Easter, I wore Bunny Ears and drew a Bunny nose and whiskers on the mask.  We also had a Superhero day, so I wore my "Supergirl" costume and drew the "Supergirl" symbol on my mask.  To celebrate the upcoming NASA launch this weekend, I'm making a fabric mask with stars on it.  I'm making more masks too: one for each local sports team and for each of the holidays.  So far I have one of pineapples (summer), two Eiffel Towers (it's my dream to go to Paris!) and I have one from Recycled Percussion (love that group!).  I have material to make one for all the patriotic holidays and Halloween as well.  When it gets closer to the holidays, I'll have some for Christmas as well, and so on.  I figured if I have to wear them, I might as well have fun with them! Plus, my residents don't find the masks as intimidating.

My challenge now: bring back Cruise Day for my residents.  During the Pre-Corona days, we had a monthly social where we would do typical cruise activities.  Unfortunately, I've had to forgo this social due to the pandemic, but would love to bring it back.  The challenge is with all the new restrictions, how do we do it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are based in Dublin Ireland. Our cases started end Feb. We’ve had 25,000 cases of coronavirus and 1,600 deaths. Our government acted really quickly & we’ve been locked down since mid March. We are starting Phase 2 of reopening the country on Monday - ppl can travel up to 20kilometres from your house, meet in groups of up to 6 people and some stores are reopening in a limited capacity. Food stores have been open throughout but very limited access.  Ireland has done very well handling it, but I’m sorry to see the same can’t be said world over.

were due to cruise again in Sept, but hoping it gets cancelled as we don’t think this year is a good time to fly/cruise/vacation.

that said - can’t wait to get back to cruising - but only when it’s safe!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I live in Florida,and as of now, Covid 19 is out of control again.Stupid people refusing to wear a mask or partake in social distancing, and a governor who, like Custer, says move on at all cost.

Really sorry to hear how bad things have gotten in Florida.

the problem seems to be stemming from the attitude at the top down.

hopefully things will improve soon but in the meantime stay safe.

our travel company have just this week  allowed us to cancel this Ireland to All Orlando and then on to MSC Seaside trip in recognition of the dangers.

we look forward to visiting & cruising again in safer times.

x

Edited by SamKB

We got some good news at todays "Covid-19 press conference". Right now not more people than a normal year dies in Sweden! I think that  they look at the average number of deaths every week during the last five years and right now they can't see any "extra" deaths.

We peaked at around 100 Covid-19 deaths/day in April and now it's more like 30-40 deaths/day.