For those planning to cruise normally when things get better

megansdad1

During this whole epidemic, I have been looking into how various cruise lines have been responding and treating their customers.  I feel that NCL has done a very poor job.  Between the leaked emails encouraging rep to lie to customers. NCL saying that they will resume operations in April.  The way they are holding peoples money.  The way that they will not let you use the FCC towards things that your money originally went to.  

My question is this....  For those who plan to resume normal operations, will you seek other cruise lines.   I was very happy with just staying with NCL and exploring the many ships that they have.  No, I am feeling differently.  I will probably rebook to use my Cruise Next Certificates, but then go back to other lines. 

• Like 2

Same here.  We will use our FCC but then intend to shop around.  NCL customer service has been horrid for months after their computer conversion went awry and this situation has finally put us over the edge.  One more cruise with them and then we are done.  By the way, we are Platinum Plus.

I was on the last Epic cruise and felt they handled it about the best the could. Only the internet was a disaster and I have no idea if their explanation of having to take a route far north of what was normal messing it up was true or not but 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mertziek said:

Same here.  We will use our FCC but then intend to shop around.  NCL customer service has been horrid for months after their computer conversion went awry and this situation has finally put us over the edge.  One more cruise with them and then we are done.  By the way, we are Platinum Plus.

I think that speak volumes, you being Platinum Plus.  I tend to look at the positive side.  Try to be as balanced as possible.  But i have reached that tipping point

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

I was on the last Epic cruise and felt they handled it about the best the could. Only the internet was a disaster and I have no idea if their explanation of having to take a route far north of what was normal messing it up was true or not but 🤷🏻‍♀️

I find that the ships and their Captions do what is best for the crew and passengers.  The corporate side seems to be the one failing.   

I cancelled the one cruise i had booked.  Have 2 cruise next n hold and i could care less. I may eventually give them away. I was on the last sailing of the Getaway. No details but i am done. I have been platinum for awhile.  I did send 2 detailed emails to CEO. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

I cancelled the one cruise i had booked.  Have 2 cruise next n hold and i could care less. I may eventually give them away. I was on the last sailing of the Getaway. No details but i am done. I have been platinum for awhile.  I did send 2 detailed emails to CEO. 

If you want to give one away I will happily accept. Going to book a TA for next April to replace this years cancelled TA. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, cruisinmeme said:

I'll take em! 

• Like 2

Our Encore was cancelled.  We plan to book another on Encore for early next year.  So far, I feel like NCL has done what they could in face of what is going on.   I'm hoping they and other cruise lines can come out OK when everything catches up.  

There are so many other businesses large & small that are impacted by all of this.  I'm most worried about all of the employees of these companies that do not know if their jobs will come back.   My missed cruise and when I might get credit for it is just an extremely small part of what I'm worried about.  Of course, here I am on these boards reading about how others are getting a FCC or not.....need to have something to do while we are stuck inside.

• Like 2

Being 70 and Platinum Plus I will not be sailing on any cruise lines which require a note from my doctor.  Lucky for me I have no FCC's or Next Cruise certs tied up with NCL, will not lose a cent by never again sailing with them.  Not planning any cruises until next April, 2021, at the earliest, so time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sand and Seas said:

.....need to have something to do while we are stuck inside.

Listening to Bob Dylan, who is Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again.

"Here I sit so patiently, trying to find out what price

You have to pay to get out of going through all these things twice."

• Like 1

I still have a cruise booked for next June - hopefully all of this will be behind us. I am very thankful that I got my cruise vacation in earlier this year - it was a trip of a lifetime on the Gem through the Panama Canal. I think that the cruise industry as well as the travel and leisure industry will bounce back - esp the longer we are cooped up in our homes.

• Like 3

My two preferred cruise lines right now are NCL and celebrity. Luckily I had no cruises booked this year so didn’t have to be involved in any of the cancellation drama. But except for the leaked emails, everything that you mentioned can also be said about celebrity. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that this was unchartered territory for them as well as us. I would still consider a Norwegian Cruise in the future if the price and itinerary were right.

• Like 2

I cancelled my Alaska sailing for August for many reasons and wanted cash back as I was still outside 120 days. I wanted cash in hand. I am not loyal to NCL so cash is king, not a FCC. I have cruises booked on the Encore for next year and Celebrity Apex for 2022. Right now I have no interest in dealing with NCL this year .... A land based vacation is the most likely scenario for my family of four right now and by far much safer than any cruise sailing anytime soon. 

• Like 5

I'm going to look at how things shake out price wise after this is over.  I'm not sure when or if I'll ever feel comfortable planning a cruise very far in advance with Norwegian.  For peace of mind I'll probably just do last minute cruises and take my chances with what cabin we're able to book.  

• Like 1

We aren't loyal NCL cruisers but we have a fair amount of FCC to use as I had purchased lots of extras for our cancelled cruise and the sailing was for my family of five.  We used the FCC to give us a chance to try the Haven.  We are hoping to be WOWed into not straying from NCL again.  However we are loyal to price and ship amenities.  NCL and Carnival have been our go to cruiselines as they make it easy to search pricing for families of five... soon we will have the option of sailing any line as our oldest will be out of the house... when that comes any line could tempt us.  

12 hours ago, megansdad1 said:

For those who plan to resume normal operations, will you seek other cruise lines?   I [am] very happy with just staying with NCL and exploring the many ships that they have.

Am I happy my cruise that was to set sail today was cancelled?  No, but I understand how that happened and it was not caused by NCL, CCL or RCCL; I hold the cruise lines harmless in this situation.  My airline, hotel, insurance provider and NCL have all provided cash or credit refunds in a timely manner.  None of them owe me more than I had invested in the cruise, but in fact, with their various refund policies, I'm actually slightly better off after their repayments.  So I've gone ahead and re-booked with NCL for later this year and will still make my cruise decisions on a "best value" basis.  The cruise line offering me the net best value for any particular cruise will get my business.  The wake represents the past; I'm focused on the bow.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, JAFA13 said:

If you want to give one away I will happily accept. Going to book a TA for next April to replace this years cancelled TA

That was my plan too until I saw the prices were more than doubled for the same sailing next spring.   I wouldn't mind the cruise credit if Norwegian hadn't jacked up prices making it worth about 50 cents on the dollar.     I know this is a difficult time but that was pretty rotten     

• Like 3

I will cruise with them again.  I find that there is a huge disconnect between corporate and those who run the ship (captain and crew).  They are the ones who make or break a cruise vacation and for us, they have always been excellent.  I can't hold captain and crew responsible for business practices of corporate.  

In the past we have fluctuated between Celebrity and NCL.  FWIW, many people feel Celebrity has done no better in handling this crisis than NCL.  I think shopping around will reveal corporate practices that are undesirable where ever you go.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, megansdad1 said:

During this whole epidemic, I have been looking into how various cruise lines have been responding and treating their customers.  I feel that NCL has done a very poor job.  Between the leaked emails encouraging rep to lie to customers. NCL saying that they will resume operations in April.  The way they are holding peoples money.  The way that they will not let you use the FCC towards things that your money originally went to.  

My question is this....  For those who plan to resume normal operations, will you seek other cruise lines.   I was very happy with just staying with NCL and exploring the many ships that they have.  No, I am feeling differently.  I will probably rebook to use my Cruise Next Certificates, but then go back to other lines. 

I will continue to cruise NCL because I like the product, I have a cruise booked, the embarkation port (Canaveral) is very convenient, and I have a large FCC. However, I am more likely to look at Celebrity now because of how well they are treating their employees (especially Captain Kate). The only thing holding me back from switching completely is that they don’t go out of Port Canaveral.

• Like 1

We have one planned in December and hope to go.  I travel for a living and have status with American, Marriott and National Car.  Yes, I get perks from them but I am just a number and if I decided to leave them, someone else unhappy with their competitors would just fill my space.  

I get the frustration but in the end, you have to do what is right for you.  NCL and other major companies really don't care.  There will be someone mad at RCCL and MSC that will fill your cabin.  

I wouldn't think about dropping NCL in the future.  I think all service related industries are doing the best they can.  You have to remember no one has ever had something like this happen in their lifetime.  

We have a cruised booked to AK end of May.  While I wish they'd just announce canceled (for those of you not on AK cruises and keeping up, Canada has closed its ability for a ship to dock until June 1st so we need the Victoria 5 hr stop to be legal) so we knew for sure.  I understand why they are holding out.  There is a slight chance something could be adjusted and we could sail so I understand their point in waiting until they absolutely know there is no way possible to do it.  

We are sailing with DH's parents on that cruise.  I'm going to start researching other cruises for May 2021 to AK that way we know if we should take FCC and rebook on NCL or if we decide on a different line.  But the deciding factor wouldn't be because NCL has upset me, it'd be if an itinerary was better.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nicoleinwi said:

I wouldn't think about dropping NCL in the future.  I think all service related industries are doing the best they can.  You have to remember no one has ever had something like this happen in their lifetime.  

We have a cruised booked to AK end of May.  While I wish they'd just announce canceled (for those of you not on AK cruises and keeping up, Canada has closed its ability for a ship to dock until June 1st so we need the Victoria 5 hr stop to be legal) so we knew for sure.  I understand why they are holding out.  There is a slight chance something could be adjusted and we could sail so I understand their point in waiting until they absolutely know there is no way possible to do it.  

We are sailing with DH's parents on that cruise.  I'm going to start researching other cruises for May 2021 to AK that way we know if we should take FCC and rebook on NCL or if we decide on a different line.  But the deciding factor wouldn't be because NCL has upset me, it'd be if an itinerary was better.  

That’s July 1st. In Canada 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1