For those planning to cruise normally when things get better

megansdad1

May I remind everyone that none of the major lines except maybe for Princess has canceled their AK cruises as well. It is possible (highly unlikely) that things will improve faster than expected and if so Canada may revisit their ban. The cruise lines have to walk a tight rope on when to cancel...too soon you may have screwed yourself, too late...well then everyone is critical. Before anyone blasts NCL RCL or any of the other line put yourself in their position with billions of $ floating around the oceans empty. If anyone has a crystal ball and can absolutely figure out when this will be over I am sure you could make a fortune, of course if you had one you wouldn't be here complaining about FCC. We all need to take a beat and see where this whole mess leads and hope the cruise line all come back healthier and better than before.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, megansdad1 said:

During this whole epidemic, I have been looking into how various cruise lines have been responding and treating their customers.  I feel that NCL has done a very poor job.  Between the leaked emails encouraging rep to lie to customers. NCL saying that they will resume operations in April.  The way they are holding peoples money.  The way that they will not let you use the FCC towards things that your money originally went to.  

My question is this....  For those who plan to resume normal operations, will you seek other cruise lines.   I was very happy with just staying with NCL and exploring the many ships that they have.  No, I am feeling differently.  I will probably rebook to use my Cruise Next Certificates, but then go back to other lines. 

We will shop around, we may even support resorts again, stay at hotels etc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

That’s July 1st. In Canada 

Ditto, other poster can search but forgetaboutit.  

Quite frankly, I firmly do not believe that US ports nor Canada ports will be open in time to salvage this year's Alaska season for the cruiselines and passengers, while cargo will and must continue to flow, as they are part of the critical infrastructure that nations must protect, maintain and support ... or, else, countries will have problems downstream with the supply chains. (Time/mission-critical items are moving as air cargo by the pallets, regardless of trade policies & restrictions ... ) 

Being out of primary care but remaining connected, two of my ex-direct report employees in ambulatory care has been activated by their National Guard units to report for duties (wait a minute, what) to staff the call-up to mobilize all the available units for surge hospital units & beds in NYC ... thankfully, they don't need to travel far.  These pix were taken yesterday, troops on the move here in NYC already (they were moving critical supplies securely warehoused by FEMA under SNS, released & being distributed, finally)   There is simply very little chance that hard hit regions like NY, WA and CA (watch out, FL - it's coming your way) with the escalations will peak and return to normal status quo in the next 2 or 3 months ... we are far from reaching the peak with the spiking up in the last two weeks with more testing done on a controlled, triage scale.  

I know we have many optimistic CC'er who still don't believe in what some of us are warning - I can appreciate and understand if they are from Utah, Montana or West Virginia.  Just about everyone else should begin to rethink their denial and what they believe to be their own opinions - the facts are out there about this ninja style of community infection.  Ooops - the first member of the U.S. Senate - Sen. Rand Paul just tested positive for COVID-16 - I wish him well & a speedy recovery, 3rd. member of the U.S. Congress with a confirmed infection already. 

Collage 2020-03-22 12_30_44.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

I suspect I'll continue with NCL, I really like their treatment of solo cruisers.  The product is good for me, no real complaints, though I was upset about the requirement of a Dr's note just b/c of my age.  I don't hold NCL responsible for it so it's off the table as far as my decision goes.  

I have a cruise booked in Dec.  this year, a TA from BCN which I'll probably cancel due to Covid 19. I also have a b2b booked for next April and am hoping Covid 19 is long gone.  My FCC will cover most of the cost of both cruises, I hope!  We'll see how things shake out, IMO, that's all any of us can do right now. 

Stay safe & washy, washy. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, megansdad1 said:

During this whole epidemic, I have been looking into how various cruise lines have been responding and treating their customers.  I feel that NCL has done a very poor job.  Between the leaked emails encouraging rep to lie to customers. NCL saying that they will resume operations in April.  The way they are holding peoples money.  The way that they will not let you use the FCC towards things that your money originally went to.  

We are in uncharted waters here.....while I agree that something does seem fishy, pretty much everyone outside of NY and LA are saying there will be a two week quarantine, when we all know it will take a lot longer than that. Also, perhaps they are saving returns until the original date to sail? I don't know as I have never had to cancel cruise, what is the SOP? Do you typically get a refund ASAP?

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Ditto, other poster can search but forgetaboutit.  

Quite frankly, I firmly do not believe that US ports nor Canada ports will be open in time to salvage this year's Alaska season for the cruiselines and passengers, while cargo will and must continue to flow, as they are part of the critical infrastructure that nations must protect, maintain and support ... or, else, countries will have problems downstream with the supply chains. (Time/mission-critical items are moving as air cargo by the pallets, regardless of trade policies & restrictions ... ) 

Being out of primary care but remaining connected, two of my ex-direct report employees in ambulatory care has been activated by their National Guard units to report for duties (wait a minute, what) to staff the call-up to mobilize all the available units for surge hospital units & beds in NYC ... thankfully, they don't need to travel far.  These pix were taken yesterday, troops on the move here in NYC already (they were moving critical supplies securely warehoused by FEMA under SNS, released & being distributed, finally)   There is simply very little chance that hard hit regions like NY, WA and CA (watch out, FL - it's coming your way) with the escalations will peak and return to normal status quo in the next 2 or 3 months ... we are far from reaching the peak with the spiking up in the last two weeks with more testing done on a controlled, triage scale.  

I know we have many optimistic CC'er who still don't believe in what some of us are warning - I can appreciate and understand if they are from Utah, Montana or West Virginia.  Just about everyone else should begin to rethink their denial and what they believe to be their own opinions - the facts are out there about this ninja style of community infection.  Ooops - the first member of the U.S. Senate - Sen. Rand Paul just tested positive for COVID-16 - I wish him well & a speedy recovery, 3rd. member of the U.S. Congress with a confirmed infection already. 

Collage 2020-03-22 12_30_44.jpg

Well said.  This is precisely what I have tried to say for weeks, but got flamed for being over-cautious.  I apologize if I offended anyone here for being over-cautious at the (then known) infant stage of this horrible virus. Crazy stuff!

Thanks mking8288 for your real-time info and knowledge.  I respect that.

I eventually will cruise again with NCL or any other line which gives me the itinerary I want and at the right price.  In the meantime, my focus is upon humanity and not a vacation.

JMO and be safe everyone!

• Thanks 1

We will sail NCL again, probably for our next cruise.

We were onboard the Getaway for the final sailing prior to the break. NCL provided us with a safe and well executed vacation. We will be back onboard when we are comfortable that cruising is safe for us.

We had our November Japan cruise cancelled in early February. Our deposit was returned and 10% extra FC discount has been applied to our replacement Greece Turkey cruise. We are just under 60 days from final payment. I am not sure if we will make that payment. Even with Peace of Mind I don't really want to tie my cash up with NCL. If we think things are calm enough such that we are comfortable flying internationally and sailing in September will we make that payment. The trip is to Celebrate a big birthday for my mother. I want it to be memorable for good reasons, not a worrisome experience. We can celebrate a different way, it doesn't have to be a cruise. 

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but I do not think any of the NCL ships has had any coronavirus infections.   That includes the NCL Spirit that recently docked after spending 16 days at sea from Dubai to South Africa and the NCL Jewel which is just now arriving in Hawaii after many days at sea.  That being said, I think all cruise ships will need to have a tighter virus control than the current washy-washy.

4 minutes ago, debeni said:

I could be wrong, but I do not think any of the NCL ships has had any coronavirus infections.   That includes the NCL Spirit that recently docked after spending 16 days at sea from Dubai to South Africa and the NCL Jewel which is just now arriving in Hawaii after many days at sea.  That being said, I think all cruise ships will need to have a tighter virus control than the current washy-washy.

How? Just wondering how they would create... and that is what would have to happen.. a better/tighter way of having a better virus control.  

This virus... a novel/new cornonavirus started months before it was assigned a name, months before it was really detected as a serious virus, many diagosis before it was thought to be serious to a specific group of people so, how do you think cruise lines, governments, countries... could better prepare for this huge PANDEMIC  when it is so new> I am mystified by your thoughts that this could have been prevented... Please enlighten me.. and others

• Like 1

Once all this goes away I would cruise NCL again provided they get their pricing back to normal. Some cruises listed now are insanely expensive, if they are still up there I would look at other lines as far as pricing, if they all are like that I guess I will look at land based options for a vacation

• Like 2

11 hours ago, debeni said:

The Bliss and Breakaway both had cases of someone testing positive after the cruise.  

• Like 1

We had a 10-Day Southern Caribbean out of San Juan for 03/22/20 recently canceled. I looked at a similar 7-Day Southern Caribbean out of San Juan, on March 7-14 next year for the 4 of us. The cruise next year was going to cost over $2,000 more, with 3 less days. (The March 7-14 was the cheapest one out of the 4 sailings in March. All in the H-4 2 BR Suites located in the Haven.) We decided against the 125% Future Cruise Credit, and ask for a full refund from NCL. We had made our final payment on the original cruise 11/15/19. Didn't want NCL to keep our money any longer. Hopefully, NCL will have "a real sale" later on, after things get back to normal? We still have 4 Cruise Next Certificates to use.  

Edited by morrisretired

12 hours ago, debeni said:

No, I was on the Pearl the last week of February.   It was all over the ship.   I'm pretty sure I got it on day 2 or 3.   At that point I didn't even know the symptoms of Corona Virus but I had all the symptoms right down to shortness of breath and tight chest congestion.    I'm super healthy and have never had any sort of symptoms like the chest congestion where I couldn't catch my breath.

Passengers on that cruise on February 23 all filled out a health questionnaire before boarding.    By day 2 or 3 when I was getting sick I notices a lot of people coughing.    Lots of the crew were coughing and working.    Still I didn't even know at that point that was a sign.    On about day 3 I go to the gift shop to get cough drops I buy a pack.   There was a big selection and lots of cough drops to buy.   I came back the next morning because my friend also now had the cough, the cough drops were all gone!  Sold out.   There were a lot!

So the rest of the cruise Im coughing, my friend coughing and I notice lots of the crew had the same cough.   Lots of red feverish looking faces.    It was all over that ship and I find it hard to believe the doctor on the ship, the Captain, I find it very hard to believe since I could see it was all over the crew, that they didn't know and didn't do anything about it!

The Pearl ran 3 more cruises after mine!    They knew.   I'm Platinum Plus.   I feel very betrayed.   

On 3/21/2020 at 7:51 PM, megansdad1 said:

My question is this....  For those who plan to resume normal operations, will you seek other cruise lines.   I was very happy with just staying with NCL and exploring the many ships that they have.  No, I am feeling differently.  I will probably rebook to use my Cruise Next Certificates, but then go back to other lines. 

While I haven't technically "left" NCL I haven't booked a cruise since Del Rio took over. That has been because every time we go to book a cruise NCL is too much. I know that there are still deals to be had if one books at the right time but I've never been able to take advantage of that. I am willing to give NCL one more try but the price has to be right, I'm not going to spend more for what we've experienced before. How NCL has treated its customers (as outlined in your post) really does not surprise me.

I agree, a new virus such as CORVID-19 is almost impossible to contain during the initial stage when the threat is unknown.  

How can cruise ships help protect us better from known threats like Norovirus, etc. I think the cruise ship industry will need to improve their procedures if they want to get us back cruising.

For example, when entering the dinning area, they have the washy-washy.  There should be another washy-washy right at the point before people touch the serving spoons.  Better yet, have somebody there to server you.

There should be hand sanitizers at each table to disinfect your hands to remove anything picked up while using the serving spoons.

When clearing the tables, they should sanitize including the condiments.

There should be staff continuously disinfecting surfaces often touched such as handrails, elevator buttons etc.  

Should the staff have a temperature check before starting their shift.  I’m sure there are lots of other ideas out there.

Very interesting to me Vyhanek.  Are you asumming that you and others had Corona virus or did you or others get tested and confirmed.  Like you , I returned from a cruise in late February, and I developed a bad cough and noticed many others on board coughing, especially the last night. It was bad enough that I have self quarantined since we return, just in case.

Edited by 2+2

1 hour ago, Vyhanek said:

So the rest of the cruise Im coughing, my friend coughing and I notice lots of the crew had the same cough.   Lots of red feverish looking faces.    It was all over that ship and I find it hard to believe the doctor on the ship, the Captain, I find it very hard to believe since I could see it was all over the crew, that they didn't know and didn't do anything about it!

The Pearl ran 3 more cruises after mine!    They knew.

Interesting, but entirely anecdotal.  Can you point us to the factual database of positive COVID-19 test results from these passengers?

I was giving NCL the benefit of the doubt, as over the last 12 months, they have been striking out with me.  Last fall, they wouldn't cancel the cruise scheduled during Dorian until the day of the cruise (at 3:00 a.m. to be exact).  So, I flew down to FL as they said 24 hours before I was to board, they were sailing.  Obviously, that didn't happen.  They gave me a FCC, but I had to eat the flight and hotel costs.

Now, they cancelled my 3/28 cruise.  I was going to take advantage of the 125% FCC plus the 20% cruise discount.  But, even with the discounts, the future cruises were more expensive since they raised prices so much, even with the FCC and 20% discount.  In essence, they were giving me nothing and actually wanted more money to cruise.

So, I filled out the form for a refund.  They're telling me I won't get MY MONEY for at least 90-days.

Kind of put a punctuation mark with them as I'm Platinum, but won't cruise with them, maybe ever, again.

I did book a Royal Cruise in June, as a replacement for the one with NCL.  

• Thanks 1

I'll probably sail with them again.  My current scheduled cruise in Norway Above the Arctic Circle in June--it'll probably be cancelled, and I'll get FCC +25%.  I'll just probably reschedule for next year, same cruise.  We'll see what prices are.

I have to take a cruise in 2022 with MSC to keep my status with them.  We were also looking at taking a family cruise on NCL (5 siblings and a nephew with 5 significant others) in May 2021--we'll see if the newbies still want to sail then.

--Michael