How Are Things In Your Home Port

Host Bonjour

We are thinking about you and want to know how you are, and we are sure you want to keep in touch with each other and connecting here does not violate any of the safe boundaries we've come to know as social distancing.

For now, cruises are on hold as we tend to our individual and collective well being, but much in the way we help each other when we are traveling, now we can join together while we are moored (you get my point) and talk about our future plans to travel, as things begin to return to normal, because they will. Or, perhaps you'll reminisce about recent travels, by sea or land. Or talk about your cat, your knitting, or cooking....you get the idea.

Off topic, you say? Yes, but we are in uncharted territory, we need to find healthy ways to cope, and we need thoughtful ways to connect. Cruise Critic values and appreciates our members and we want to continue be here for our members. Things will return to normal but until they do, those who wish to hang out and chat with your CC friends, we can do that here. As always please, continue to be kind and wonderful–if you disagree with someone, take the higher road and say nothing or just leave a smile emoji. 

Here is another place where you may talk freely with other members for fun, the Cruise Critic Floataway Lounge

Colleen/Bonjour 🤗(<---socially distant hug)

Edited by Host Bonjour

I look on this Asia board every day. I don't expect to see any posts, but I still look. I still want to think about travel, read about travel, dream about travel. It's so nice to see something. 

I was so very fortunate to spend 4 weeks in Asia in January. We started in Bali for a few days. Then we flew to Singapore for a couple of days, and boarded the Diamond Princess on January 6 for 14 days (we were the sailing before the quarantined sailing). We had an amazing trip, sailing from Singapore to 3 ports in Vietnam, Hong Kong for 2 days, Taiwan, a couple of ports in Japan, and ending in Tokyo, where we stayed a few more days. What an awesome Asian adventure!

We have a few more trips planned for this year, some of them are unraveling now. But we are scheduled to be back in Asia in March, 2021, and have a 28 day cruise booked on the Grand Princess, leaving from Singapore! I think we'll fly in a couple of weeks early and visit Thailand and Cambodia by land. I will be excited to be back to planning and researching ports and things to do. 

Looking forward to reading posts on the Asia board from my fellow travelers.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 8:50 AM, terry&mike said:

I look on this Asia board every day. I don't expect to see any posts, but I still look. I still want to think about travel, read about travel, dream about travel. It's so nice to see something. 

I was so very fortunate to spend 4 weeks in Asia in January. We started in Bali for a few days. Then we flew to Singapore for a couple of days, and boarded the Diamond Princess on January 6 for 14 days (we were the sailing before the quarantined sailing). We had an amazing trip, sailing from Singapore to 3 ports in Vietnam, Hong Kong for 2 days, Taiwan, a couple of ports in Japan, and ending in Tokyo, where we stayed a few more days. What an awesome Asian adventure!

We have a few more trips planned for this year, some of them are unraveling now. But we are scheduled to be back in Asia in March, 2021, and have a 28 day cruise booked on the Grand Princess, leaving from Singapore! I think we'll fly in a couple of weeks early and visit Thailand and Cambodia by land. I will be excited to be back to planning and researching ports and things to do. 

Looking forward to reading posts on the Asia board from my fellow travelers.

As I stated on another post, I was fortunate enough to do a 15 day land tour of Thailand early in Feb. before everything hit the fan. Have done a fair amount of travel globally but have recently concentrated on Asia. Have been to China twice and then Thailand. Have other areas in Asia on my list such as Hong Kong ,Singapore, and Macau. Have a trip to Eastern Europe planned for August of this year hoping it will happen. Next year planning on hitting Asia again, God willing. Certainly hope you will get to Thailand as it is a very interesting country, to say the least. The people are very kind, caring, respectful, and religious people. The country is very scenic and interesting. It was very enjoyable to visit a country with almost no violent crime. Some areas seemed intimidating but was very safe and interesting. The food was very good and there is some US fast food influence. Our guide went above and beyond what we were scheduled to see as he was very proud of his country. Can't say enough about this trip as I think this was my best land tour ever. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Good luck with your travels.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to keep this alive. I know a couple that are missionarys and have been in Asia for the past month. They have recently been in Cambodia and are now in Thailand. They are traveling with their 4 children!!! Bless their hearts.

• Like 1

My home port is Tokyo.

The city and country have re-opened and are more or less back to normal.

Businesses, Restaurants, Bars are open and busy. 

Trains and subways are a bit less crowded than before.

Everyone is still wearing masks - not because we have been told to, but because it is the right thing to do.

Only a few European tourists are being allowed into Japan, so the summer attractions are not very crowded. It is a great bonus for those of us living here.

Japan cruising and local Asia cruising will re-start shortly.

• Like 1

Thanks for the Tokyo update.  We are scheduled to cruise from Tokyo on Celebrity  next April and are really looking forward to it.  We have done a fair amount of travel in Asia but Japan will be new for us.  We intend to spend a few days in Tokyo precruise, then around Japan on the ship, then do a trans Pacific back to Vancouver.  Should be a good adventure and really hope it happens!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did our fair share of traveling in Asia the last couple of years both on cruises and land tours. Were in Taiwan when the pandemic hit. Watching what was happening to the Diamond Princess, which we sailed on five times, was quite disheartening. Back home since February before the pandemic exploded here. Doubt that we will be cruising or traveling international soon in the near future. Will probably spend more time traveling in the US when it calms down. Taking the RV out on road trips would be the next best thing. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Japan is now officially in the “Second Wave” of the virus.

Numbers of cases in Tokyo and Osaka spiked a bit - mainly due to clubs and bars open late at night.

The Japanese government cannot legally close them, so instead is paying them to close early every day.

As expected, the numbers are now dropping. Japan - at 135 million people - is showing fewer cases and deaths than most individual US states.

Everyone here is still wearing masks - not because we are forced to - but because it is still the right thing to do.

Foreign residents of Japan who left Japan before the pandemic are now being allowed to return.

Foreign residents of Japan who left Japan after the pandemic started will be allowed to return after Sept 01.

International flights are ramping up again. Foreign tourists (from some countries) may be allowed after 01 Sept. 

The new Tokyo cruise terminal opened last month, but with no ships calling (yet).