Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

Posted minutes ago on HAL Facebook page:

UPDATE: March 22 (1:45pm PT/4:45pm ET): This morning aboard Zaandam, 13 guests and 29 crew reported to the ship’s medical center with influenza-like symptoms. Out of an abundance of caution, we have now asked all guests to remain in their staterooms until we have more information. There are 1,243 guests and 586 crew on board.

Zaandam is following the response protocols that have been developed in coordination with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Since it is flu season, and COVID-19 testing is not available on board, it is difficult to determine the cause of these elevated cases at this time.

The safety and well-being of our guests and crew is one of our highest priorities. The ship has activated these precautionary measures out of an abundance of caution:

• As is our standard practice, all ill persons have been isolated and their close contacts placed in quarantine.
• Guests have been asked to remain in their staterooms and monitor their health. If they become symptomatic, they are asked to call the medical center for an evaluation and care from the ship’s medical professionals (at no charge).
• Effective today, meal service will be provided by room service until further notice. All public areas are closed.
• The entire ship is operating at maximum sanitation levels, including rigorous cleaning and disinfecting of public and crew areas.
• Crew who are not required for the safe operation of the ship are being quarantined. Those that are needed to maintain the ship’s operation are being asked to self-isolate when not performing essential functions, practice social distancing, self-monitor and report any illness to the Medical Center.
• Both internet and guest stateroom telephone services remain complimentary so that guests may stay in touch with their families.

Zaandam was sailing a South America voyage that departed Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7 and was originally scheduled to end in San Antonio, Chile, on March 21. However, due to global health concerns, Holland America Line made the decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days and end its current cruises in progress as quickly as possible and return guests home. Despite previous confirmations that guests could disembark in Punta Arenas, Chile, for flights, we were not permitted to do so. No one has been off the ship since March 14 in Punta Arenas. 

Zaandam then sailed to Valparaiso, Chile, where it remained at anchor March 20-21 while taking on provisions and fuel, including regular medications for those that needed them. Zaandam departed Valparaiso on March 21 and is currently sailing north. Our intention is to proceed to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, for arrival on March 30, however we are still working on securing a reservation to transit the Panama Canal. Alternative options are also being developed.

• Like 1

Oh dear, this doesn’t bode well at all.

I hope things work out for all on board.

I must confess though, I am getting tired of the words “abundance of caution” from cruise lines, Governments, airlines, etc.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh dear, this doesn’t bode well at all.

I hope things work out for all on board.

I must confess though, I am getting tired of the words “abundance of caution” from cruise lines, Governments, airlines, etc.

I guess they think “abundance of caution” is better than “we have no idea what to do” or “we’re frightened to the point of wetting our pants”.   🥴😬

• Like 23
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Randyk47 said:

I guess they think “abundance of caution” is better than “we have no idea what to do” or “we’re frightened to the point of wetting our pants”.   🥴😬

It's sobering to think that in the new world, this might become a routine option. 

• Thanks 1

And still no cancellation of our 4/21 FLL-Montreal sailing on Zaandam.  I'm trying to be patient.

Not sure why the cruise lines didn't immediately stop all sailing on the date they announced that they were temporarily suspending all cruses.  But those that were at sea continued to sail.

Maybe I would've sailed had i been booked but I think that even by 3/7, it was becoming apparent that this wasn't "just the flu" and that being on a cruise ship would be just about the worst place for the spread of a new illness for which no one had any immunity.

Oh well.  It's obvious that steps that could've been taken weren't, and not just the cruise lines.

Hope they recover and that if it is Covid-19 that they didn't spread it around South America when they were asymptomatic!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

The highly respected sheriff of my county basically told us to act as if the virus is all around us, because without the proper tests being readily available - WE JUST DO NOT KNOW!  

I have no experience with anything like this, so I am hunkering down, and so blessed to be in my own house.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Not sure why the cruise lines didn't immediately stop all sailing on the date they announced that they were temporarily suspending all cruises.  But those that were at sea continued to sail.

2 hours ago, sue1898 said:

Zaandam was sailing a South America voyage that departed Buenos Aires, Argentina, on March 7 and was originally scheduled to end in San Antonio, Chile, on March 21. However, due to global health concerns, Holland America Line made the decision to suspend its global cruise operations for 30 days and end its current cruises in progress as quickly as possible and return guests home. Despite previous confirmations that guests could disembark in Punta Arenas, Chile, for flights, we were not permitted to do so. No one has been off the ship since March 14 in Punta Arenas. 

Not sure how this could be avoided @NCTribeFan?    Scott. 

• Like 1

Worried about this.

If it’s COVID—19, we need to get everyone off the ship as quickly as possible. We know from Diamond Princess, sadly, that trying to quarantine on board is a potential disaster. 

I hope I’m wrong – that this is not COVID-19 – but if it is, we need to find a way to bring everyone ashore. ASAP. 

Wishing and hoping the best for all aboard.

1 minute ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

Worried about this.

If it’s COVID—19, we need to get everyone off the ship as quickly as possible. We know from Diamond Princess, sadly, that trying to quarantine on board is a potential disaster. 

I hope I’m wrong – that this is not COVID-19 – but if it is, we need to find a way to bring everyone ashore. ASAP. 

It's hard to think where they can go. They seem to be making for Panama. I wonder if Panama will let them through? The pilots have to come aboard for the transit. This is what no one needed, if it's coronavirus.

17 minutes ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

Worried about this.

You're probably right, but the question is get them off WHERE?  No port is going to want them if it's Corona.  Until that is known, no port is going to want them anyway.  Even if it isn't Corona that ship is a bad place to be right now.  Confined to cabins, no port to go to, LONG way from USA.  Awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Hope they recover and that if it is Covid-19 that they didn't spread it around South America when they were asymptomatic!

There are already a number of cases of Covid-19 all over South America. 

My sister is a nurse in a travel health clinic, and we were talking about the numbers worldwide just the other day. She must have had a chart in front of her as I asked about South America, and she started rattling off numbers which I had not heard before. The countries included Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina, and others. If the Zaandam does have Covid aboard, it is very possible someone picked it up in one of the recent ports. 

I have been wondering if I should plan on skipping my cruise to SA this fall, and it is looking less and less likely I will take it. 
The fact that Covid-19 is growing strong in South America now, when they are just ending their summer, also makes me wonder if it will remain strong north of the equator as we go into warmer weather. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Maybe I would've sailed had i been booked but I think that even by 3/7, it was becoming apparent that this wasn't "just the flu" and that being on a cruise ship would be just about the worst place for the spread of a new illness for which no one had any immunity.

that sailing (the Zaandam) required serious flying to get to the embarkation and, if most people are like me, they would have headed out a few days early to recover from jet lag and enjoy the port city.

We need to remember that this thing has moved quickly.  If someone was on that cruise and left on the 3rd, the scenario wasn’t as grim to some folks although it already was for me.

I can’t find the sailing now, but for some reason I thought they left on the 3rd of March.  I had planned to do this itinerary originally and then we opted for the TA (cancelled) and a land trip to Santiago de Compostela after (cancelled).  

Some people may well have gone for a week or two before things became evident.

I wish them all luck and thank my lucky stars I am not on that cruise.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, arabrab said:

Why the need to go through the Panama Canal? Isn't San Diego or Long Beach a plausible alternative?

The State of California will not let cruise ships dock. IMHO it didn't do so great a job with the Grand Princess anyway.

• Like 1

@RuthC

Here’s a link to one of the ArcGIS maps showing current distribution of cases by country.

https://who.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/c88e37cfc43b4ed3baf977d77e4a0667

I’ll be back momentarily with another link.

Okay, here’s one more: https://healthmap.org/formobile/

or https://healthmap.org

The map looks different on a PC vs an iPad.

And I can’t figure out why some jurisdictions have multiple dots. The jurisdiction where I live (you know) is not releasing city of location of cases, and we have 2 dots. We do have quite a number of cases more than 2. Previously our dot showing total number of cases for the jurisdiction was listed with the city that hosts the seat. It may be the maker of the map set it to show cities larger than x- population or some other factor.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

8 minutes ago, arabrab said:

Why the need to go through the Panama Canal? Isn't San Diego or Long Beach a plausible alternative?

I believe it is shorter/quicker to get to Fort Lauderdale from where they are despite the Panama Canal transit.

• Like 2

My brother/wife are on this cruise.  He says yesterday captain said plan A was to go to FLL, Plan B was to go San Diego and Plan C was Mexico.  This was before the latest sickness news. 

He also said that they just started giving free wine for dinner and Capt said don't worry it is not Chilean wine as Chile had first said they could disembark in puntarenas then withdrew permission when they arrived.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

California has allowed several ships in the past week to dock.

Carnival Miracle, Eurodam, and Disney Wonder.

Due to arrive this week are Maasdam and Celebrity Eclipse in San Diego.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 1