Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

2 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Not sure why the cruise lines didn't immediately stop all sailing on the date they announced that they were temporarily suspending all cruses.  But those that were at sea continued to sail.

What were they supposed to do, throw everybody overboard?

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 11

10 minutes ago, dockman said:

Seems somehow they could at least get some test kits onboard which might help them figure out a little more as to what they are dealing with?

Problem is the test need to go to a certified lab for analysis.  Cruise ships are not equipped to that level.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dockman said:

So they can't get tests on and off ship via helicopters fly tests to a lab and get results?  

Not easily.  Where are they?  How close to a certified lab?  The inherent danger in flight operations and I don’t know where you draw the line.  

2 minutes ago, dockman said:

So they can't get tests on and off ship via helicopters fly tests to a lab and get results?  

When only had about 200 confirmed cases in the US when they did that for the Grand Princess.  Now that we have over 33,000 cases, I do not know if the Government would be willing to do so.  Not as high of a priority as it was then.

My heart sank when I read this earlier today on FB; then I tried to look for a brighter side - perhaps it's "just" food poisoning.  For so many to show up at the medical center at once, is highly unusual, so I was trying to think the best of a bad situation, not putting a theory out there as to what the actual illness is.  I'm not a medical doctor, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

Not easily.  Where are they?  How close to a certified lab?  The inherent danger in flight operations and I don’t know where you draw the line.  

Last word was off the coast of chile sailing towards panama....surely panama must have some certified labs?  Maybe no helicopters needed if can get the tests on/off in panama with a coast guard type boat?

1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

The State of California will not let cruise ships dock. IMHO it didn't do so great a job with the Grand Princess anyway.

Not sure where you heard California is not allowing cruise ships to dock. And you do know the CDC was mostly in charge of how the passengers of Grand Princess were handled???

44 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thinking out loud- Long Beach (city) has their own services (Health Department). They are pretty small. Perhaps neighbors LACo or Orange Co would step in????

Long Beach would not be the normal docking for a HAL ship. It would be LA Harbor. And CDC would run the main operation...

4 minutes ago, lvz2cruz said:

I can't find anything about the symptoms.

Are they having the cough/fever/respiratory of Covid or is this a stomach Noro bug  ?

Has anyone said?

The report was "flu like symptoms" which could mean many things...

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

My heart sank when I read this earlier today on FB; then I tried to look for a brighter side - perhaps it's "just" food poisoning.  For so many to show up at the medical center at once, is highly unusual, so I was trying to think the best of a bad situation, not putting a theory out there as to what the actual illness is.  I'm not a medical doctor, and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Not food poisoning or noro, the reports said "influenza" type symptoms, meaning flu.

No smooth sailing for the people on that ship right now.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

It's hard to think where they can go. They seem to be making for Panama. I wonder if Panama will let them through? The pilots have to come aboard for the transit. This is what no one needed, if it's coronavirus.

Not just the three separate pilots, two sets each of about 19 Canal workers (in the potential case for Zaandam, the 1st set of canal workers for the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel locks, and the second set for the Gatun locks) who go to the fwd and aft mooring decks where they handle the lines for the "mules", at least one, usually two, PCA inspector(s), a fumigator, and a health inspector.

All the best to Zaandam, her pax and crew!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Long Beach would not be the normal docking for a HAL ship. It would be LA Harbor. And CDC would run the main operation...

FYI; Maasdam is now headed to the Port of Long Beach (with pax)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope everyone is doing alright. Severe Flu is not a good thing to be sick with either. Hope they get all the medical care availble out there. Last time I had flue I did not isolate myself much from my wife and children. Noone got sick. Its so unpredictable these days. I think it very much depends on your immune system. The more vitamins and minerals you consume the stronger your immune system becomes. Very simple 

11 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

OMG!  Do you think a HAL physician or nurse can tell the difference between food poisoning and "flu like symptoms?"  

Hank