Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

31 minutes ago, Wehwalt said:

This has some interesting coverage of some of the people on Zaandam.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elderly-couple-on-coronavirus-stricken-ship-says-theyre-stuck-aboard-2020-3

I feel for that older couple (and all).  I can understand their concern of getting off the ship in a box.   Certainly hope this has a good outcome but it’s getting much worse.  It says they’ve only been allowed out once for fresh air. Perhaps once the other passengers are transferred to the other ship the rest of the passengers still on board will be allowed some outdoor supervised time.  

Thanks for the link.

Edited by canadianbear

via The Guardian Live Blog a few minutes ago:

Panama’s government has said it will allow the Zaandam cruise ship to pass through the Panama Canal. No one from the ship will be allowed to disembark in Panama, however.

It comes after a stalemate, in which Panama’s authorities refused to let the ship pass through the canal, leaving passengers stuck on board.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, SedNabokos said:

Panama’s government has said it will allow the Zaandam cruise ship to pass through the Panama Canal. No one from the ship will be allowed to disembark in Panama, however.

It comes after a stalemate, in which Panama’s authorities refused to let the ship pass through the canal, leaving passengers stuck on board.

I hope that's reliable.

Roy

• Like 1

My heart breaks for everyone affected by this situation. The fact that the Zaandam has so many cabins without verandahs for fresh air - those pax must be experiencing the worst mental, not to mention physical, distress. I wish there was something we could do for them.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SedNabokos said:

Oh I hope this happens!! I know our Canadian government was in talks with the authorities as I’m sure other nationals were.  

11 minutes ago, SedNabokos said:

That would be a good thing.  I just looked at the AIS system and both the Zaandam and Rotterdam continue to sit at an anchorage a few miles outside of the canal.  It also appears there are some tenders in the water, although we have no clue whether this means there are further movement of people or supplies between the vessels.

Hank

• Like 1

Folks ~ please remember we can keeping the discussion here on the Zaandam, not debating if people should have taken cruises, etc.  

And please, as requested before, make sure your replies are respectful and follow our guidelines.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

18 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Does anybody know the status of the 2 ships with regard to fuel?

Roy

The Zaandam was refueled in Valparaiso on the 20th with enough fuel and provisions to last 3 weeks. The Rotterdam was refueled yesterday before the transfer of passengers began.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sorry if this was discussed earlier in the thread. I saw news reports came out yesterday that 4 passengers died on the ship, but nothing on whether they died on the same day or they only made it public after they had 4 deaths. I can't think of a scenario that 4 people would die roughly at the same time. 

From Reuters: "Panama will guarantee biosecurity measures to protect the personnel who will participate in this maneuver and thus safeguard the health of Panamanians," the government said in a statement.

No mention of where the Rotterdam is going.

• Like 2

this is where the Zaandam and Rotterdam are at anchor off the Panama Canal right now.. 2 Blue Dots lower left 

got this off my Marine Traffic AIS site   

our prayers and thoughts are with them --the passengers ..staff and crew .. God Bless  🙂

here's their Main Link https://www.marinetraffic.com

ZaandamAtAnchorPanamaScreenshot_2020-03-28 MarineTraffic Global Ship Tracking Intelligence AIS Marine Traffic.png

Edited by Stakeout
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, panabiker said:

nothing on whether they died on the same day or they only made it public after they had 4 deaths.

“Unfortunately, four of our fellow guests have passed away – one last night, two yesterday and one a few days ago,” the ship’s captain Captain Jan Smit said in an announcement, which was obtained by The Guardian.

Via this article

Edited by SedNabokos

7 minutes ago, dockman said:

I think I read that entire story and don't see the confirmation.  It does like the transfer operation is winding down.  The story I see was "edited 5 hours ago".

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think I read that entire story and don't see the confirmation.  It does like the transfer operation is winding down.  The story I see was "edited 5 hours ago".

Roy

MARCH 28, 2020 / 12:35 PM / UPDATED AN HOUR AGO

Coronavirus-hit ship granted permission to pass through Panama Canal

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

that ending ?il=0 made a a big difference in the results.  Without it I still get the old article.  Thanks

On my current marine traffic screen I don't see any tenders not next to their own ship.  I hope that's a good sign.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
tenders
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

sorry there is an updated version as below

The CBC has this article on the Zdam: https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/panama-canal-holland-america-zaandam-1.5513888

There is a pic from Friday showing two passengers in very close proximity, with one wearing a face mask, overlooking their balconies.  Examples like these show how difficult it is to quarantine passengers on a cruise ship and how viruses can spread so quickly on a ship.

Edited by cbr663

1 hour ago, SedNabokos said:

“Unfortunately, four of our fellow guests have passed away – one last night, two yesterday and one a few days ago,” the ship’s captain Captain Jan Smit said in an announcement, which was obtained by The Guardian.

Via this article

Jan Smit is a HAL staff captain and former captain. Zaandam's current captain is Ane Jan Smit, no relation 😉 Smit in the Netherlands, like Smith in the States, is a very common last/surname. The Guardian reporter used an incomplete first name 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1