Zaandam and Rotterdam Situation (merged topics starting March 22, 2020)

bouhunter

Maybe they can take them some tests?  Probably not but sure seems it might help at least some to get a handle on what they are dealing with before they arrive in florida (assuming they do).  What if NONE of the sick test positive for corona?  Would that prevent a likely quarantine in florida?

1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

Wow, how interesting. It leaves one to realize there were/are plenty of good reasons not to have passengers remaining on board the ships returning from world cruises. Amazing that HAL was able to orchestrate this and very rapidly.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Yesterday the Captain mentioned that the Rotterdam is going to bunker fuel.

David

From the Captain Albert Blog "The Captain received notice that help was needed for one of our ships, medical help, and thus Rotterdam, Oosterdam and Eurodam went to battle stations. Medical crew and supplies were to be gathered and then the Rotterdam being the fastest ship in the fleet was assigned to carry out this humanitarian mission."

• Like 7

Zaandam (last postion 8 hours ago at 14.97 S/78.51 W) and Rotterdam (current position 16.78 N/101.15 W at 0800 EDT) are roughly 2,300 nautical miles apart. Assuming combined closing speech of 40 knots the two vessels are about 57 hours apart, perhaps a few hours less depending on Zaandam's progress in the last few hours. That's all assuming a high-seas rendezvous (Be happy to have someone double check my math. Lat/Long from VesselFinder.com

Edited by voyageur9
also, double-posted on the other Zaandam topic. Apologies
  • Like 4

It would appear that Holland is providing an epic reply to a situation that has not been seen in recent maritime history.  The passengers on Zaandam should be heartened by this response.  With most of the cruise ships in the world idled, this is potentially  the greatest example of pulling together that many of us will ever witness.  I hope Captain Albert and Holland will continue to provide accurate and as detailed as possible updates on this mission of mercy.  Fair winds and following seas to Rotterdam and her crew and to all of the ships and crews as they carry out their mission!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

The Governor of Florida has begun a mandatory two-week quarantine of anyone flying in from NY, NJ, and CT.  I'm not even sure that Florida will accept the ship.  In all honesty, we shouldn't.  Our hospitals are already overloaded and at a breaking point.  We simply can't take in another 300+ sick people off a cruise ship when the number of residents hospitalized and needing critical care is growing every day.  They should find a port where the people on board can be taken off to a quarantine facility and hospitals in a state that isn't hard hit--perhaps in Charleston or Baltimore.

If they do come to Florida, whether it's COVID-19 or the flu, they all need to be quarantined and the Federal government needs to set up and staff a field hospital for their sick.  We simply can't have 2000 people directly exposed to either of these diseases disembarking and possibly shedding a virus as they try to figure out what to do next, with 300+ flooding our ER's and ICU's.  

Keep in mind our airports are handling only about 20% of the normal flights, hotels in the Miami-Dade and Broward are mostly closed on order of the Governor, all restaurants are either closed or carry-out only.  There is no capacity to care for them while they wait for seats on flights to be available.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After the Ruby Princess fiasco, going to be hard for the remaining ships at sea to find a port to dock. Five days after the pax disembarked, Australia had discovered 133 infected local pax. How many infected pax traveled to other countries? Some of them are returning to family without self-isolation.

It should have been clear after the Westerdam drama. Either quarantine the pax, or test them before disembarkation. 

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

After the Ruby Princess fiasco, going to be hard for the remaining ships at sea to find a port to dock. Five days after the pax disembarked, Australia had discovered 133 infected local pax. How many infected pax traveled to other countries? Some of them are returning to family without self-isolation.

It should have been clear after the Westerdam drama. Either quarantine the pax, or test them before disembarkation. 

They need to do both.  People can test negative after exposure, it can take several days for symptoms to show.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone know if it is possible to contact guests on the ship by phone?  I've called the emergency line for this sailing and the person at HAL had no answers for me and said it was not possible to call the ship.

I have found, sadly, that this forum has been able to provide more information than the cruise lines themselves.

Many thanks,

Captain Albert is an amazing Captain and as I have said prior kind,compassionate ,

and a man of integrity!!

We were on board The Rotterdam on March 11 heading to Panama Canal when in Puerto Vallarta we were told we would need to get off 3-15 and head home!

He made us feel important and at the same time told us he was there for us as his Captain! The crew is fantastic and went over and beyond!

CAPTAIN ALBERT AND HIS CREW WILL DO THE SAME TO HELP THE ZAANDAM!

Denise😊

• Like 3

We met Captain Albert on the Konigsdam last fall. He is fleet captain, not the actual captain of the Rotterdam. As fleet captain he travels from ship to ship for extra crew training and to help standardize procedures within the fleet. He is a great speaker, story teller and blogger.

Conditions change so fast in these times. We boarded our ship at the same time and in the same terminal as the Zaandam. A few days later, Buenos Aires closed to foreigners and forced them to self isolate. Brazil, where we were headed, was still open. One day, Brazilians were out enjoying their vacation, the next day, the first port closed. Chile, where the Zaandam was headed, did the same.

I hope everybody on the ship recovers from whatever illness it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

The Governor of Florida has begun a mandatory two-week quarantine of anyone flying in from NY, NJ, and CT.  I'm not even sure that Florida will accept the ship.  In all honesty, we shouldn't.  Our hospitals are already overloaded and at a breaking point.  We simply can't take in another 300+ sick people off a cruise ship when the number of residents hospitalized and needing critical care is growing every day.  They should find a port where the people on board can be taken off to a quarantine facility and hospitals in a state that isn't hard hit--perhaps in Charleston or Baltimore.

If they do come to Florida, whether it's COVID-19 or the flu, they all need to be quarantined and the Federal government needs to set up and staff a field hospital for their sick.  We simply can't have 2000 people directly exposed to either of these diseases disembarking and possibly shedding a virus as they try to figure out what to do next, with 300+ flooding our ER's and ICU's.  

Keep in mind our airports are handling only about 20% of the normal flights, hotels in the Miami-Dade and Broward are mostly closed on order of the Governor, all restaurants are either closed or carry-out only.  There is no capacity to care for them while they wait for seats on flights to be available.

Actually, there are many options. Yes, the federal government can do some of the things you demand. However, as other states are doing,  those empty hotels would appreciate the business of quarantining those that need it...its revenue.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Actually, there are many options. Yes, the federal government can do some of the things you demand. However, as other states are doing,  those empty hotels would appreciate the business of quarantining those that need it...its revenue.

They are closed.  By order of the Governor. They can't legally reopen. And no one in their right mind wants a bunch of people who have been exposed in their hotels.  We can't get food for the people who live here (shelves are bare) and we're certainly not going to open a hotel and have to feed 2000 more exposed people via room service--restaurants can't open.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, voyageur9 said:

Zaandam (last postion 8 hours ago at 14.97 S/78.51 W) and Rotterdam (current position 16.78 N/101.15 W at 0800 EDT) are roughly 2,300 nautical miles apart. Assuming combined closing speech of 40 knots the two vessels are about 57 hours apart, perhaps a few hours less depending on Zaandam's progress in the last few hours. That's all assuming a high-seas rendezvous (Be happy to have someone double check my math. Lat/Long from VesselFinder.com

My guess is that they will try a rendezvous in Balboa if they are allowed to tie up.   Distances from current position seem about the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purrlinda said:

Does anyone know if it is possible to contact guests on the ship by phone?  I've called the emergency line for this sailing and the person at HAL had no answers for me and said it was not possible to call the ship.

I have found, sadly, that this forum has been able to provide more information than the cruise lines themselves.

Many thanks,

I get texts everyday and we text back and forth no problem...don't know about talking on phone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dockman said:

I get texts everyday and we text back and forth no problem...don't know about talking on phone.

These folks don't know how to text.  Just found a way to get in touch with the ship - neither are sick but are very concerned as they don't know what's going to happen yet when they get to FL.

• Like 1

they are "hoping" to get tests and masks in Panama...i think some are allowed outside a bit but not enough masks for all.....meeting with rotterdam on 26th is plan...not sure what rotterdam is bringing to them

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

They are closed.  By order of the Governor. They can't legally reopen. And no one in their right mind wants a bunch of people who have been exposed in their hotels.  We can't get food for the people who live here (shelves are bare) and we're certainly not going to open a hotel and have to feed 2000 more exposed people via room service--restaurants can't open.

You are missing the point. This is already being done in other states. It CAN be done. It just takes the emergency folks to enact the plan.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

We simply can't take in another 300+ sick people off a cruise ship when the number of residents hospitalized and needing critical care is growing every day.  

Are they saying now 300+ ill on Zaandam?