Hope!

cachouonacruise

We are cruise lovers and so far, we had two cancelled cruises in 2020.

In relation ro what Covid-19 is doing to people affected, my pain is very minor.

This said, we are entering a period of social distancing, even from friends and family. This is resulting in a very gloomy climate. To my knowledge, the length of our dark tunnel is unknown. (I have not heard any official stating when we will be allowed to come out of our shells).

Cruise Critics members have often positively surprised me with the extent of their knowledge and insights.

Does anyone have any idea ( please indicate concrete facts or information, justifying your opinion) on when we can hope to return to a more normal state of life? Being able to gather with family and friends without fear or to safely go on a cruise without worries.

Hope is needed! I would really welcome anyone who could help us see the sun after this period of darkness.

• Like 1

Bonjour mes amis!  stay strong and remain hopeful.   The key is for everyone to be on board with social distancing as then we can nip this virus and control the curve.  As our amazing Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Tam said, PLANK THE CURVE 🙂  

For now, I will share with you something that I came across that makes me smile:

Bonne 
santé 

Thoughts.thumb.png.a33545cd51ba89fc7e9540aab2c0abd1.png

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Salut cachouonacruise. I've every confidence that the sun will shine in the fulness of time, but I don't think that even the experts can provide more than a guess. A more educated guess than you'll ever see on Cruise Critic, but a guess nevertheless. And it's going to get worse before it gets better; there's talk now in the PMO of closing non-essential businesses and services. Only discussion at this point, but it's indicative of the direction in which we are headed. I think we need to face the reality that we are in for a longer period than originally forecast, but exactly how long???

Thank you Hvbaskey for sharing the words of Laura Kelly Fanucci, they also made me smile! We definitely need more of these! 

Thank you also for the feedback Fouremco and Mr. Click. I am also at this point, expecting the situation to require social distancing at least until June or July.

My concern is what’s next? Therefore my call for hope! 

I am wishing/hoping that someone has concrete evidence/facts confirming that at least by xx time, we will begin to walk on a road to normal. It would help make all efforts needed more concrete, more worthwile!

Ben hallo Cachounacruise! I am your NB neighbor.

I don't have an answer, but take heart, our parents and grandparents were asked to take arms and go to war. This is our war... and all we're being asked is to stay home. I live alone, so I fully understand how hard this is. For me, this is a time to appreciate the small things in life, to get my finances in order, to reach out by phone/Internet to people I haven't talked to in a while, to make sure they are doing okay. Check on your neighbors, check on your coworkers. See the good in this bad situation. It is hard, yes, but take time to breathe and be thankful for everything that you have.

I hope my little seed of wisdom can be a comfort somehow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have Hope...lots of it, but I agree it’s going to get more intense in the next few months. And back to normal? I don’t think we’ll ever go back to whatever was ‘normal’. And that is probably much better than hoping all is going back to the “good old days’. They are gone and we’ll step out of this with:

- a better understanding of science instead of wishful thinking and ignoring reality that is around us;

- a better understanding of how connected we are throughout our communities, our nation and our world. 

- a better understanding that we have to act immediately instead of finding someone/some group/some ‘outsider’ to blame. 

- a better understanding that we can do just fine staying with just our mate or on our own, finding all kind of new ways to enjoy life.

well, enough. I know what we mean by ‘hope’ and ‘normal’, and not bad words, just different now, I think. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

Life's little joys are here...Hate to say this..but a glorious day in small town Ontario..2 chipmunks made it thru the winter..the blue jays are screaming for more food..also the baseball team of black wing birds came by screaming for more crummy seed!  Live alone work alone..has always scrounged also for protein at the grocery stores...self employed retail for 30 years..so one learns how to scrimp and save every day..ha ha don't you love retail!!..safe safe and clean

• Haha 1

psst..my sister and I left Reflection 11 nighter Feb 21st..the one holiday I take each year..I take my sister along for the fun.  From the time we left Toronto Airport Feb 8th and returned Friday Feb 21st,,,I only saw 12 people with face masks....we got thru the curtain by hours..thank you everyone for guidance ...panic started 48 hours later..  

This is the "new normal."  We will not see a return to yesteryear in cruising.  More health checks and screenings, fewer passengers, more expensive, fewer ports "open" to cruise ships, etc.  Likely significantly more regulation of ships.  All-in-all probably good for the industry and for cruisers.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love the title of this thread but had to cringe a bit at the question "how long" because I was afraid that it was going to invite a stampede of negativity that weighs so very heavily on everyone.  Many people view life through a negative lens by nature and are therefore, unaware of their natural thought process and it's impact on the universe.

I am a very positive person by nature but even I, have struggled to remain so in this strange time.  When this crisis first began my thoughts turned to how cruising would be impacted down the line.  Now that the big picture has unfolded, I realize the harsh truth that the cruising impact is quite insignificant compared to the global impact.  Just three weeks ago I had a discussion with my DH regarding our front lawn.  (Spring is springing here).  I mused that it would be nice if our lawn keeper would lower his mower a bit this year to keep the grass shorter.  Just yesterday, I mused as to whether or not we could still afford the luxury of having a lawn keeper.  The world is different.

In a daily press conference yesterday, a reporter asked a similar question about how long.  Our President's response was, "Soon.  Very, very soon."  Which begs the question, how does one quantify "soon"?  Either people, even the experts, don't really know or they aren't willing to say.

In the meantime, I have made a conscious choice to control my thoughts and steer them away from negativity.  I will watch the President's daily virus briefing and that's it.  I will not read any more threads on CC whose only purpose is to promote worry, grief, or condemnation for those of us who refuse to give in to doomsday ideals.

OP, thank you for this thread.  I have enjoyed reading the responses and admire the positive sentiments expressed in them.  During this time I have explored new recipes in the kitchen, taken time to work in the garden, played pool with my DH, caught up on my reading, and will continue with my list while this tragedy plays out.  Prayers that all of my fellow CC acquaintances remain well and have good things to report about life on the flip side! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Me too.  Trying my best to snap out of it!  

Go to your home collection of cruise photos. Relive the wonderful times. Pick three to post on the photo thread, by far the most positive on the board.

• Like 1

Thank-you all for the feedback and your participation in this thread.

Thank-you Georgia_Peaches for sharing your positive thoughts!!!  Your message responds really well to my hopes! 

We (or at least I) need more positive information, news, and ideas to counter balance a bit, our world’s difficult reality.

For us in the greater Montreal, we have no choice but to keep a low profile. Gathering of people indoors or outdoors are discouraged. Non essential businesses are closed. My two daughters who do not live at home, are now reluctant to visit due to social distancing.

We ( wife, my son and his wife still living with us) are trying to create small « good moments » by playing games, sipping a glass of wine in the backyard with a small fire ( gas fireplace), by relaxing/reading going for isolated walks etc.

We do our best to keep positive!

This is why, I created this thread and I am looking forward to read more positive ideas, suggestions or information from fellow CC members! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Solidarity and appreciation from West Vancouver, British Columbia - LOVE this!!!

Vancouver applauds their healthcare workers every night at 7pm. We need to do this nationwide!

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 3

Love this thread!  I have hope that some good comes out of this....learning to be more compassionate, caring and sharing; seeing what a positive impact staying at home can have on the environment, learning to appreciate the small things and don't take anything for granted.  

With regards to hope for eradicating the virus, apparently the initial estimate for a vaccine for H1N1 was 12-18 months, but it was on the market in a much shorter time (around 6 months) so there is still hope!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

This is the "new normal."  We will not see a return to yesteryear in cruising.  More health checks and screenings, fewer passengers, more expensive, fewer ports "open" to cruise ships, etc.  Likely significantly more regulation of ships.  All-in-all probably good for the industry and for cruisers.  

That might be good for younger cruisers.  For those of us over 70, it is very bad news.  And, hello, we are the majority of the current passengers.  What good is FCC if they will not allow us to board the ships???

• Like 4

"Hope" does nothing to solve the crisis.  Claiming it will be over in days, in time for the next scheduled cruise, doesn't solve the crisis.  Claiming it doesn't affect Americans doesn't solve the crisis.  Just reported that 800 passengers on Grand Princess refused testing since they believed it would extend their quarantine if positive.  Infection rate from Grand is running about 10 percent, so bout 80 possibly infected people went "home" with knowing their status.  Inconceivable.  Doesn't help solve the crisis.  Compassionate, caring and sharing implies understanding the issues and working with health officials, not against their recommendations and orders.  This is the "new normal."  Get used to it.  Don't put your head in the sand and rely on an inexperienced reality TV show host for guidance.  Several governors are providing wonderful and timely information - follow their guidance.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

That might be good for younger cruisers.  For those of us over 70, it is very bad news.  And, hello, we are the majority of the current passengers.  What good is FCC if they will not allow us to board the ships???

We are 75 and 78.  It is good news that cruisers should be certified to be in good health.  Cruise ship medical facilities are not hospitals.  Medical staffs capable of handling small non-life threatening illnesses and injuries.  In many cases, on board medical equipment isn't the most modern or even always in working order.  I once needed an EKG after going back into arrhythmia following a workout in the ship's gym.  The first EKG machine didn't work.  The second one did - partially.  My wrist BP reader game me the same result as their machine.  My spouse once slipped on an unmarked wet deck and dislocated her knee.  No soft cast available so she was casted in plaster from ankle to hip.  

Prior to a 2-week Antarctic expedition with Hurtigruten the ship's doctor required everyone to submit a doctors approved health certificate.  Being days away from a hospital the health certificate was necessary.  Didn't limit those who could cruise - surprisingly there was even a wheelchair passenger who could walk short distance with a cane.  Not a life threatening condition. Everyone complied.  

This is for your own benefit.  Also helps others.  Ships don't have to divert schedules.  Transmission of infectious agents are curtailed.  Time for everyone think beyond themselves and got the good of all passenger and crew, and good for the industry.

36 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

"Hope" does nothing to solve the crisis.  Claiming it will be over in days, in time for the next scheduled cruise, doesn't solve the crisis.  Claiming it doesn't affect Americans doesn't solve the crisis.  Just reported that 800 passengers on Grand Princess refused testing since they believed it would extend their quarantine if positive.  Infection rate from Grand is running about 10 percent, so bout 80 possibly infected people went "home" with knowing their status.  Inconceivable.  Doesn't help solve the crisis.  Compassionate, caring and sharing implies understanding the issues and working with health officials, not against their recommendations and orders.  This is the "new normal."  Get used to it.  Don't put your head in the sand and rely on an inexperienced reality TV show host for guidance.  Several governors are providing wonderful and timely information - follow their guidance.

This post belongs in a different thread, I think.  One where people are actually claiming to buck the system's guidelines by refusing to social distance. Having hope should never imply that one has their head in the sand.  Most of us lurking here on CC are doing so because they are self-isolating like the government agencies have requested and therefore, have time on our hands to ponder such things as the OP's question.  Respectfully, perhaps you should take your knowledge on how to solve the crisis and start your own thread.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 3

The sun will come out tomorrow....

In recent years our holiday plans have been interrupted by personal health issues but we never expected any scenario like we are presently experiencing...

But we firmly believe the sun will come back out and the liberties and luxuries we have taken for so long will return...From a hug from a friend to a visit to the shops to a luxury cruise....Have confidence and hope for the future....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chemmo said:

But we firmly believe the sun will come back out and the liberties and luxuries we have taken for so long will return...From a hug from a friend to a visit to the shops to a luxury cruise....Have confidence and hope for the future....

Well said, thank you!

56 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Ok, I had to take a moment and re-read what you wrote and it was too late for me to edit my post so let me say that I agree with your last sentence whole heartedly.  Your statistics about the Grand Princess is disturbing along with so much else out there that I've heard recently.  I completely agree that those people who aren't following suggested guidelines need to step up and now.  

Here's the thing about hope, though, and probably what annoyed me by your comments about it.  I've self-isolated and social distanced from my friends and family.  I've followed guidelines about hand washing to the extreme.  I've tried my best to avoid panic and I am not hoarding toilet paper.  I'm doing all that a single person can be expected to do (and I don't think I'm alone...especially here on CC) and at the end of the day, all I have left is hope.  So let's be careful not to trample on people's hope when they may otherwise feel quite helpless in this terrible crisis.  

Stay well...

Thank you @chemmo for being a calming "voice"...

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 5

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here" (Dante’s Divine Comedy)

There are people asking if cruising will take place again mid April 2020.  That's Comedy, though tragic in a person's evaluation of what is happening around the world.

As we raced home after departing Silhouette March 15th, there seemed to be more traffic heading into Florida than out of it.   Those cars represented hope rather than reality..

Today is a gloomy day in Southern Ontario and a thin layer of snow covered our lawn this morning.  The sun does not come out every day but our past experience suggests that eventually it will.

Hope must have its roots in reality or else all we will have is despair.

This will get worse before it gets better.  However three months from now I expect the first glimmer of hope about cruising later this year.  If anyone can live in a 180 sq ft cubicle on a ship, then we can endure staying at home, having little contact with our loved ones so that we can live another day and hope to hug them again.

Be realistic, be smart and listen to the DOCTORS in charge.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Argo. said:

As we raced home after departing Silhouette March 15th, there seemed to be more traffic heading into Florida than out of it.   Those cars represented hope rather than reality..

Yes, it sad to say the least that so many though it was a good idea to head to Florida as planned for spring break.  I think it was foolish for the Florida governor not to mandate beach closings across the state.  I believe that has occurred as of now.  I have also heard that some of the spring breakers who threw caution to the wind have contracted the virus.  In my view, those cars represented stupidity... 

• Like 3