How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

We had a lovely cruise on Celebrity Solstice Melbourne to Auckland, then drove around for 5 nights before returning to Melbourne Sunday last week.

Even though we were home before the lock downs started. we have been in self isolation since we arrived home. Amazing how much gets done around the house when you stay at home 🙂

We have good neighbours who have supplied bread and milk.

It is funny, but when we could do as we please I was more than happy to stay at home. Now that I cannot go out, I cannot wait to go out and go to the shops. 

We have two cruises booked in May. Waiting for Celebrity to cancel them to get our money back. The same with Air New Zealand, get nothing back if we cancel now. Have to wait for them to cancel.

Went up to my Ex’s this morning to take sone to the physio (a lot fewer cars on the roads). She is working from home. Daughter was just leaving for work - the quality messaging yesterday meant they were to close, then they could open.

went for a late afternoon walk around town to see what was going on.  Pubs and yacht clubs closed, cafes and restaurants only doing takeaway. Amazingly, just about everything else seems to be open as essential services — newsagents, clothing stores, gift shops, homewares, real estate agents, etc. 

Able to get most things I needed at the supermarkets, but still areas of empty shelves.

Oh yes, all the nail salons (we have many), hairdressers, and massage places were open.

Edited by Docker123

We're trying to stay home as much as possible but needed to go to our local Westfield today. It was very quiet. I managed to get the meat I wanted at the butcher there but it was more expensive than usual. Since it was still before midday we were able to have a coffee at our favourite cafe, maintaining an appropriate distance from other customers naturally. It was very sad to see all the cafes stacking up their tables and chairs - takeaways only from now on.

Aldi were only allowing a few people into the store at a time. Very sensible of them. However it was open slather at Coles - not that it was worth shopping there as they only had three of the things that were on my list. No TP, no tissues, no paper towels, no Panadol, no SR flour, no eggs.  Luckily one of those three things was my favourite bread, which has been quite hard to get, and there was plenty of fresh milk. We'll have to get up early one day during the week to go shopping in the Senior's Hour then I might be able to get the other stuff on my list. I'd really prefer to only shop once a week but with the low stocks at the moment that's not possible. I end up having to go to one supermarket for some stuff, then to another one, or even two, to get the rest of the things I need. It's crazy.

We picked up our usual char kway teow as a takeaway to take home for lunch - we usually have lunch in the food court but that's not possible now.

I'm still waiting on the cruise line to cancel the Rome to London cruise we have booked in May. They cancelled the longer Dubai to London last week, and the Dubai to Rome sector, but not the Rome to London sector. I guess they're trying to spread the load of refund/FCC requests. Still, it's a bit frustrating. The airline we booked with is only offering refunds for flights up to the end of April so far. I'm hoping they'll include May soon.

The next cruise we have booked is the Sapphire Princess circumnavigation in mid-September. Hopefully things will be stable by then so we can do the cruise but it's hard to predict how things will be then.

Our excellent local library closed today, with no advance notice.  But the advice that we could now borrow 50 items and everyone's membership had been extended six months told me that closedown was close.  When my daughter went today she was only allowed 15 mins in the library, yet she still managed to get herself and me a good selection of books.  I now have my own library of books to read in my special time.  

5 hours ago, lissie said:

New Zealand PM annouced that the whole country will go into lock down as of Wed middnight -  everything closed except essential services inc supermarkets. Schools close tomorrow. https://thespinoff.co.nz/covid-19/23-03-2020/the-stark-choice-jacinda-arderns-national-shutdown-speech-in-full/?fbclid=IwAR3fiK-Mp-7VXrvYj-g1aeNjNzBIt3cpcxgkWAbuLMMWylu6XPswfT62NJ0 

We're hoping to stop it before 10,000s die 

Aussies love nothing better than beating Kiwis in sport.  We should have a State of Origin for Corona Virus - the winner reaches the lowest number of infected people first or develops a vaccine.  In this case, I wouldn't mind if the Kiwis won, but would prefer Aussies win!

9 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Without quoting everyone's post, a big hug to all😘

Watching TV just makes me cry, the lines at Centrelink, shops closing up, people dying, I can't even think about holidays☹️

Thanks for the big hug.  Same to you.  My friend cried seeing the length of the Centrelink queues.  The Government knew this was going to happen, why don't they employ people (without jobs) to assist manage the queues, having people keep a safe distance, give out numbers, bottles of water etc.  There has to be a better way..

My daughters were sad when they say the hard working owners of our local cafe packing up their new furniture before the 12 noon deadline today.  

Serenity Prayer 

Edited by MMDown Under

3 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Without quoting everyone's post, a big hug to all😘

Watching TV just makes me cry, the lines at Centrelink, shops closing up, people dying, I can't even think about holidays☹️

I want to see some good news, which I know is difficult at this time but we all need it. With all the doom and gloom and I think most of us are a bit scared as it is something we never experienced before, it's daunting.

My daughter, a primary school teacher has been ill with a throat infection - no fever, kept her boys home today. Her husband is a police officer and started night shift last night. The younger grandson FaceTimed us this morning to have a chat because they were having a break from their school work. DD had given them both a timetable they had to follow to keep them busy but also to keep them quiet while their father slept. 

Leigh

19 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Our excellent local library closed today, with no advance notice.  But the advice that we could now borrow 50 items and everyone's membership had been extended six months told me that closedown was close.  When my daughter went today she was only allowed 15 mins in the library, yet she still managed to get herself and me a good selection of books.  I now have my own library of books to read in my special time.  

Could see this happening so went last week and got 10 books out as prefer actual books to reading them on a tablet.   Might have to resort to downloading them after that.   Happy reading.

2 minutes ago, datone said:

Could see this happening so went last week and got 10 books out as prefer actual books to reading them on a tablet.   Might have to resort to downloading them after that.   Happy reading.

Well done.  Happy reading also  I love new books.  I also love old book shops - a treasure trove!

After a few years of planning to take a year out and travel this Country, I wound my business down and closed it on the 20th of February and planned to reopen in early 2021, not sure if it's good timing or not but business would be very slow now.

I converted a bus/coach into a motorhome which was just about to be registered but will delay that now and finish off the small things left to do. We planned to leave mid April but now that's not going to happen.

We got back from our cruise on Voyager 2 weeks ago then got an email on Saturday to let us know someone on board tested positive to the virus but as it's been 2 weeks now no action needed.

So still taking the rest of the year off and if we are lucky we may get to travel a bit later in the year.

NZ looks to be going for a total eradication of the virus with a total lockdown so short and drastic, where we here in Oz look to be going for a plan to reduced the infection rate to a more manageable level but will take a lot longer to go through.

41 minutes ago, lagoon380 said:

NZ looks to be going for a total eradication of the virus with a total lockdown so short and drastic, where we here in Oz look to be going for a plan to reduced the infection rate to a more manageable level but will take a lot longer to go through.

Its interesting - quite a different approach. NZ is saying total lock down for 4 weeks (minimum). Nothing except essential services: health, police, government, transport (freight). Schools closed, all non-essential business closed, all bars, clubs, restaurants, closed  (inc take away), all transport except for essential workers and freight.  It locks down Wed evening - so had 48 hours notice.  

My nephew is stuck in Dunedin  - he's a first year student - his parents live in east coast USA (he's a NZ citizen) - even the Australian's with him in residence can't get flights home. His parent's tried  to get him a flight at least as far as LAX but I don't think they managed it. Frankly he's probably better off where he is - but  a bit nervous that he'd be the only one left in the hall I thin.  

I can still work- as I work online from home - but not sure how much longer there will be any demand for websites! 

9 hours ago, Russell21 said:

7 cases so far on the Central Coast NSW.

PS. Just got word from a mate over there, while Italy may be in strife with the number of cases and deaths, THEIR SUPERMARKETS ARE FULLY STOCKED AND THERE HAVE BEEN NO SHORTAGES OF ANYTHING.

Hi fellow coastie!  Fyi, as of midday today (Monday)  Central Coast has 19 cases.......14 overseas acquired, 3 known close contact, 1 unknown, 1 under investigation.  1 of these is in isolation at Gosford Hospital, and the rest are in home self isolation.

Keep safe and well, and remember ....washie, washie, washie!

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I plan to watch her speech.  However I think I caught 2 meters distance separation and no take aways, both different from Australia;

They jumped to level 3->4 restrictions, whereas we have started with level 1.

To be consistent with past Aust government practice, they'll probably increase that every day or so over the coming week...

Been In Lock Down since getting back on Saturday 14th to Melbourne & then into Sydney on 16th. Only got to do a B2B; not a B2B2B.. Saw massive sanitary changes in the last week of cruise. A person at the 24/7 ice cream machine. Dispensing it for you. even at 11:30 at night. Plus salad bar & dessert buffet. It slowed down MDR service...

Got very well compensated from Carnival on cancelled cruise.. 

I work in Retail & will be going back to work Tomorrow, as I was told 14 days from my last port of call Dunedin..

The BH who is a RN/Midwife can't go back until Saturday. 14 days after arriving back into Australia.

The weird thing was on The Cruise, we went through Milford Sound with The MSC Magnifica at The same time & I have seen what happened to her. Then the very next day we passed The Ruby Princess on her way to MS. Then she had major issues. I just reckon I have been lucky...

Haven't got anymore cruises booked this year.. Yet. But will use the credit & Bonus OBC to book something hopefully September or October...

6 hours ago, lissie said:

Its interesting - quite a different approach. NZ is saying total lock down for 4 weeks (minimum). Nothing except essential services: health, police, government, transport (freight). Schools closed, all non-essential business closed, all bars, clubs, restaurants, closed  (inc take away), all transport except for essential workers and freight.  It locks down Wed evening - so had 48 hours notice.  

My nephew is stuck in Dunedin  - he's a first year student - his parents live in east coast USA (he's a NZ citizen) - even the Australian's with him in residence can't get flights home. His parent's tried  to get him a flight at least as far as LAX but I don't think they managed it. Frankly he's probably better off where he is - but  a bit nervous that he'd be the only one left in the hall I thin.  

I can still work- as I work online from home - but not sure how much longer there will be any demand for websites! 

I like NZ approach.  I like that you got 48 hours notice.  Daily changes are a lot to comprehend, hense the young people continuing to congregate at the beach in big numbers, and Bondi Beach being closed.  I doubt there would be few people in NZ who don't know about NZ's lockdown.  

My daughter, also a web designer, has been working from home.  However, today she is going in to work, in her small company, to take some videos.  

3 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

Been In Lock Down since getting back on Saturday 14th to Melbourne & then into Sydney on 16th. Only got to do a B2B; not a B2B2B.. Saw massive sanitary changes in the last week of cruise. A person at the 24/7 ice cream machine. Dispensing it for you. even at 11:30 at night. Plus salad bar & dessert buffet. It slowed down MDR service...

Got very well compensated from Carnival on cancelled cruise.. 

I work in Retail & will be going back to work Tomorrow, as I was told 14 days from my last port of call Dunedin..

The BH who is a RN/Midwife can't go back until Saturday. 14 days after arriving back into Australia.

The weird thing was on The Cruise, we went through Milford Sound with The MSC Magnifica at The same time & I have seen what happened to her. Then the very next day we passed The Ruby Princess on her way to MS. Then she had major issues. I just reckon I have been lucky...

Haven't got anymore cruises booked this year.. Yet. But will use the credit & Bonus OBC to book something hopefully September or October...

You were lucky. What ship were you on?

4 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

They jumped to level 3->4 restrictions, whereas we have started with level 1.

To be consistent with past Aust government practice, they'll probably increase that every day or so over the coming week...

Unfortunately our Government was too slow.  I feel they were too concerned about the economy and not concerned enough about the people.  Example is the huge queues for Medibank.  They knew this would happen, yet no planning in place.

I like NZ approach better.

I couldn't believe my eyes watching Parlament, called back for one day, continuing with "Dorothy Dixes"!

55 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Unfortunately our Government was too slow.  I feel they were too concerned about the economy and not concerned enough about the people.  Example is the huge queues for Medibank.  They knew this would happen, yet no planning in place.

I like NZ approach better.

I couldn't believe my eyes watching Parlament, called back for one day, continuing with "Dorothy Dixes"!

Oops "huge queues for Centrelink".

47 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I think the 4 weeks rocked a lot of people . Most were expecting 14 days. Jacinda made it clear that it could even be longer if needed .

We have all been told ..

.Go home and wait for the virus to Passover .

Our government took the slow drip approach.  It went from 14 days to PM saying "we don't want our school children to miss a year of school" (discussing reasons for not closing our schools)!  

12 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

I went passed the electoral office of our state member of parliament.

It is closed. Sign says a non-essential service.

Sums up what many think of our local member.

Hope ours has the same sign on her door too! 😀

Well I am in lockdown, but I am most of the time anyway, Mrs Gut still has to go and deal with 1200 little brats that seem to have no idea what soap and water or personal space are. The Courts are closed so money is in short supply. They cancelled my Easter Cruise, they shut down the footy, and worst of all “Beer Bug” saw my baby’s wedding cancelled.