How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

3 hours ago, Docker123 said:

I think in Victoria we move to in restaurant dining, bars etc on 1 June.

Yes with up to 20 patrons as long as there is only 1 person per 4 square metres and 1.5 metres between tables. But if a cafe for example has more than one space, it is 20 persons per space as long as the social distancing rules are kept.

Looking forward to going out for a meal. 

Leigh

Enjoy your dinner. We have two family birthdays the following weekend - granddaughter and daughter in law. Not sure what the plans are for celebrating yet as with extended family way more than the five visitors allowed.

Leigg

Still chugging along here in isolation in Victoria but ... but ... daughter & SIL with the 2 grandbabies are coming for brunch next Saturday.  Oh happy day!  Daughter's 'milestone' birthday is Tuesday of next week so a feast for brunch including a birthday cake with candles.  The grandies will love it.  Very much looking forward to seeing our precious little ones - oh and also the precious big ones too. 

It hasn't been easy fellow cruisers, has it?  Especially if you haven't been able to see grandchildren or children except for Facetime or Skype or whatever.  And thank goodness for technology I say!  But it's not the same as in the flesh is it?

I also celebrated a 'milestone' birthday a week and a half ago and we had a trip for the 6 of us planned to celebrate.  But alas, that has been cancelled.  Hence my excitement for next Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

Still chugging along here in isolation in Victoria but ... but ... daughter & SIL with the 2 grandbabies are coming for brunch next Saturday.  Oh happy day!  Daughter's 'milestone' birthday is Tuesday of next week so a feast for brunch including a birthday cake with candles.  The grandies will love it.  Very much looking forward to seeing our precious little ones - oh and also the precious big ones too. 

It hasn't been easy fellow cruisers, has it?  Especially if you haven't been able to see grandchildren or children except for Facetime or Skype or whatever.  And thank goodness for technology I say!  But it's not the same as in the flesh is it?

I also celebrated a 'milestone' birthday a week and a half ago and we had a trip for the 6 of us planned to celebrate.  But alas, that has been cancelled.  Hence my excitement for next Saturday.

Happy birthday! Enjoy seeing your family. 

No it hasn’t been easy but we’ll get through it. 

Leigh

Edited by possum52

Of course we will Possum ... LOL you gotta be tough to live in Melbourne, right? 😀  None of those warm tropical breezes for us - just those Antarctic freezing blasts tempered with 45 deg C heatwaves - often on the same day. 😏

And many thanks for the birthday greeting.

Edited by LC1950
spelling! (as usual)
  • Like 1

HI everyone!

This has been a lovely conversation thread, it's been great seeing everyone communicate and share info, and even emotions on losses and disappointment; so important to release the pressure in such an unprecedented time like this, even with folks we may not have met IRL, but "know" fairly well. 

While in some places, certain places have started to partly open under specific safety guidelines, many other places remain closed by mandate or choice. And the overwhelming recommendation is to continue to remain "in place" whenever possible. As winter approaches in the souther hemisphere, that may begin to feel a bit more typical at this time of year. Who is rushing outside in the cold. But...many of you would be heading out on cruises.

We don't have much to offer except a place to be with CC friends and now, a new shelter in place activity, Color with Cruise Critic <---here's a link to our new gallery where there is a blank page to print, work on, then upload in a post to the gallery. And with art, (I hear people saying I'm not an artist!) anyone is an artist. The rules are, there are no rules aside from the usual CC rules.

It might be a great way to express some emotions. Feeling gloomy? Use dark colors. Or put bats and spiders on the side of your boat. Or do what the kids have done the world over, draw rainbows. Candy cane the palm trees...whatever comes to mind. 

Or, tell me what they told me on the Britain board when I posted a reminder about the Floataway Lounge ("We don't need your Floataway Lounge!" They'd set up their own Pub topic....ha ha!) and say, we don't need your coloring and gallery. And that's cool, I get it. But, if someone in your cruise party (or back on shore when you cruise, we've got some wonderful crayon art from junior cruisers, so share with the little ones!!) is into it, please print/share so they can be featured in the CC gallery. We'd love to see their work. 

🎨

Keep safe and well everyone. Thank you for spending time here with us. 🙂 

• Like 1

First signs of a degree of normality returned for us yesterday here in Penrith.

We had both our adult sons & their lovely partners come over for lunch, together with my Mum, who is 85 and lives nearby in retirement village, very independently. It was her first time out of the village since 13th March!

It was a triple 'celebration' as during the 'lockdown' we had not been able to get together for Tracey's 60th, Mothers Day for Mum & Tracey, and it will be my birthday on Wed.

We all had a good catchup with a few drinks, KFC and salad for lunch and a cake!

And then we all went back to our semi-isolation, all agreeing that we should go easy for a while longer.

Now back to getting our house on the market as we move forward to our next move (after 26 years here at our 'family' home).

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

We had both our adult sons & their lovely partners come over for lunch, together with my Mum, who is 85 and lives nearby in retirement village, very independently. It was her first time out of the village since 13th March!

It was a triple 'celebration' as during the 'lockdown' we had not been able to get together for Tracey's 60th, Mothers Day for Mum & Tracey, and it will be my birthday on Wed.

We all had a good catchup with a few drinks, KFC and salad for lunch and a cake!

And then we all went back to our semi-isolation, all agreeing that we should go easy for a while longer.

Now back to getting our house on the market as we move forward to our next move (after 26 years here at our 'family' home).

Stay safe everyone.

Your triple family celebration sounds wonderful.  Your mother must have really enjoyed it having not been out of her retirement village since 13/3.  Happy birthday for Wednesday.

• Like 2

Things are getting back to the new normal in NZ. Shops are open, bars restricted to a max of 100 , in groups of 10 with table service only . Still a few anomalies ,50 for a funeral ,10 for a church service . One MP questioned that 100 could visit a strip club but only 10 in a church . .? Go figure 

Some great bargains in the domestic travel market . Motels, Guest Lodges and B&B’s that cater to overseas guests are empty ,so are slashing their prices to attract locals .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mr walker said:

Stay safe everyone.

Congrats and good luck on the move.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

One MP questioned that 100 could visit a strip club but only 10 in a church . .? Go figure 

I would argue that the first needs to be seen to be enjoyed properly as some people's imagination is not that great, while the latter only needs faith to be properly satisfied.

BTW, the people who go to the first mustn't have very good internet.

• Haha 1

Tired of cooking. Kitchen and appliances have had a real workout during the last couple of months. Dining out looks to be slowly returning.

Missed a couple of important family events, birthday and sadly unable to travel overseas for a funeral, albeit it cannot take place at present. We are not alone with those experiences.

Looking forward to travel again here or further afield.

Making the best of the weather with walks but soon it will be hibernation weather.

Miss going to the movies. We do not do the on line stuff,  prefer the big screen. 

Last week, I had my first visit to the hairdresser since early February. My hairdresser messaged me to say she was re-opening and would I like an appointment. As my hair looked like a mop, I was pleased to have the chance to have it cut. My hairdresser has a purpose built salon in her back yard and is only having a few clients spread out over the day. It does feel so good to have it cut.

Leigh

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 10:23 AM, pully8 said:

Tired of cooking. Kitchen and appliances have had a real workout during the last couple of months. Dining out looks to be slowly returning.

Missed a couple of important family events, birthday and sadly unable to travel overseas for a funeral, albeit it cannot take place at present. We are not alone with those experiences.

Looking forward to travel again here or further afield.

Making the best of the weather with walks but soon it will be hibernation weather.

Miss going to the movies. We do not do the on line stuff,  prefer the big screen. 

Have you got enough space in your home (or is it still warm enough?) to hang a white sheet, and with a projector and a bluetooth speaker, watch your movies on an improvised bigger screen? It's what many people are doing here outdoors (well, it's getting warmer) and in our area, no one knows when indoor crowds will be a thing and even if it does happen, will people want to go? Maybe not until there is a vaccine. Summer time is big outdoor movie-in-the-parks time anyway. Who says it can happen inside too? Create your own screening room or indoor theater. There are small projectors that you can connect via USB and run from your laptop so you'd only need to login to any subscription you have, choose a movie, set up the projector (get the distance, aspect ratio correct to fit the sheet!) and cook up some popcorn, it's movie time.

Or, order an actual screen and make it even more-like. We all have to find ways to do what we love until we figure out how things are going to work in the interim and beyond.

🎥🍿

• Like 1

Today was too perfect to waste - 24c warm, with beautiful blue cloudless sky.  So we went on a drive to Mount Tamborine for the first time for a long time.  We drove to the lookouts with spectacular views of the Gold Coast, and drove around the old parts of the Mountain, with beautiful big trees and gardens.  After pies and mushy peas from the bakery for lunch, we spent several hours watching the paragliders take off from the mountain top, next to us.  I've never seen so many, so guess the wind conditions must have been perfect for them.  On the way back off the mountain, we bought a beautiful bunch of wildflowers, pumpkin, white onions, yellow kiwi fruit, and avocados from roadside stalls.  

• Like 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-26/coronavirus-outbreak-on-live-export-ship-al-kuwait-in-fremantle/12287006  Reading about this and wondering what will become of the 56000 sheep? Apparently they cannot be returned to their farm.

Uncertain when the ship will sail at this stage. Unfortunate situation and hope there will be no other people infected from the ship in Fremantle. 

Just past a milestone  in NZ..no cases of Covoid 19  for 1 week and only

1 active case .Lets hope it holds .Queens Birthday weekend  is upon us and many are taking the opportunity to catch up with friends and family after the lockdown .No travel restriction within NZ now .

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12335789

Kiwis have been encouraged to enjoy a "normal" holiday weekend after seven straight days of no new Covid cases - and there is now just one active case in this country.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer
  • Like 4

We actually went out for lunch today.

We went for a drive, firstly to Manly. It seemed quite quiet with only a few cafes open in the oceanfront cafe strip. So we went on to Dee Why, our favourite beachside dining area. It was buzzing. Some restaurants were still closed but quite a few were open. We had coffee at a new French cafe/patisserie then discovered a small Yum Char restaurant with outside seating. So we had some delicious dumplings and squid while we enjoy the fresh sea air. What a treat. It's been months since we were able to do this as I was badly affected by the bushfire smoke which kept me indoors most of summer, then lockdown happened. I feel like I've had a real morale booster. ☺️

• Like 5

On Monday the NZ cabinet will decide if we go to level 1 from level 2. This decision is a foregone conclusion as we have had no new cases for 12 days and the medicos have agreed that community transference or whatever it is called is a non event. We will be in Level 1 by Wednesday next week. Level 1 for us is everything is back to normal except the border remains closed. The decision is purely political now with an election in September. Stay in level 2 and the Govt is toast

21 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

On Monday the NZ cabinet will decide if we go to level 1 from level 2. This decision is a foregone conclusion as we have had no new cases for 12 days and the medicos have agreed that community transference or whatever it is called is a non event. We will be in Level 1 by Wednesday next week. Level 1 for us is everything is back to normal except the border remains closed. The decision is purely political now with an election in September. Stay in level 2 and the Govt is toast

I think it is a good thing for NZ, if cases start to escalate, go back to level 2.